GWR Collett BG/Full Brake

Revolution Ben

The topic of roof rivets is an interesting one. I took photos of various roofs of GWR coaches at I don't know where (Buckfaskeigh or Bewdley) that show a number of styles. Some at least were exactly how you have done the rivets, although I do feel they are probably a bit oversized. Still, one can easily rub them down. Even the roof photos with transverse roof ribs had the longitudinal rivets.

I mam pretty certain from photos that K42 had the roof as you have modelled it, although the K41 pictures are less conclusive.

If the rivets are there on the Didcot example you could justify just saying you are modelling it as preserved. You have after all included a centrally placed underframe box on that basis, which many photos show was not on the coaches when in revenue service.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

Interesting - thanks for this.  Since it's easier to remove unwanted rivets that are there, than add rivets that are not, I am minded to leave it as it is - not least to proceed as quickly as we can to the next stage of production.

Of course, once the model is painted it's likely that the rivets will be "smoothed off" a little and less prominent in any event....

cheers

Ben A.

Incidentally, last year there was a 2mm finescale exhibition at Wallingford but no sign on the 2FS website of one this year. Does anyone know if it was a one-off or does it alternate years?

(Just thinking that it might have made a suitable launch venue for the model, as it was just across the road from the K41 at Wallingford station!)

If this was a 7mm model then some roof texture may be appropriate - still very difficult to reproduce near to scale, but I don't think it helpful at all in c2mm. The panelling barely show on the photos on my website and I can't see anything which we are calling rivets.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Interesting - thanks for this.  Since it's easier to remove unwanted rivets that are there, than add rivets that are not, I am minded to leave it as it is - not least to proceed as quickly as we can to the next stage of production.

Of course, once the model is painted it's likely that the rivets will be "smoothed off" a little and less prominent in any event....

cheers

Ben A.

Here's a picture I took at Buckfastleight (there are others in the same Flickr album). This I believe is a Hawksworth (so later) but I think K42s had the same style of roof panels rivetted together. Not abosultely sure for K41s though,

EDIT: the Mchaell Harris book on GWR coaches states that GWR coach roofs were rivetted from 1932 onwards. Which suggests that K41 would have also had that type of construction.

Chris

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrishiggs/2086755485/in/set-7215760337417660

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Like 1

OK, the balance of evidence appears to be in favour of riveting on the roof. Perhaps it is best to stick with it, particularly as and changes to the tooling are likely to be costly in both time and money.

Incidentally, last year there was a 2mm finescale exhibition at Wallingford but no sign on the 2FS website of one this year. Does anyone know if it was a one-off or does it alternate years?

(Just thinking that it might have made a suitable launch venue for the model, as it was just across the road from the K41 at Wallingford station!)

2mm section for details of meet at Kidderminster in a couple of weeks.

• 5 months later...

We now have some photos of the livery samples for the K41s (reposted with Ben's kind permission). These are just samples so issues such as wobbly lining should not appear on the production runs. In addition, we have already identified the following issues that need to be addressed.

Wrong shade of GWR chocolate, the sample has a slightly greenish tinge.

Droplights are too light on the GWR liveries, they should be a deep indian red rather than a bright red.

Axel boxes should be painted blue on GWR liveries.

Pipework should be painted black.

A further batch of samples has been requested to address these issues. If anyone spots anything else, please feel free to flag it up.

NGS2.jpgNGS1.jpgNGS4.jpgNGS3.jpgNGS6.jpgNGS5.jpgNGS8.jpgNGS9.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

I recently did a search here on GWR K42 Passenger Full Brake Van by Collett and found your topic. The thread has been most interesting as I am building the vehicle in 7mm. I too have taken many pictures of a K42 preserved at Buckfastleigh on the SDR. I am impressed the workmnanship you Guys have put in the get Daplo to produce a great model.

My search is for correct branding transfers and have Fox Transfers are very interested in the detail aspect that seems to be missing, namely branding "town" names,  Parcels Train Brake Van etc which in my opion makes the model. Please can you help me from all your research. What size were the branding lettering. In Great Western Way book they mention 92 high but is this correct.

Sorry if duplication in the threard but I cannot find this mentioned.

Look forward to your reply

Kind regards

Keith

• Like 1

My search is for correct branding transfers and have Fox Transfers are very interested in the detail aspect that seems to be missing, namely branding "town" names,  Parcels Train Brake Van etc which in my opion makes the model. Please can you help me from all your research. What size were the branding lettering. In Great Western Way book they mention 92 high but is this correct.

Hello. I was under the impression that the lettering was 4" high which is about 100mm. It could be that 92mm is the correct value and that 4" is just people rounding. Of course by the time you scale it down by 1:148, the difference between 100mm and 92mm is probably less than the precision of the printing process to discriminate. ;)

I rather like the route branding too. However we made the decision to use unbranded vehicles where possible in order to make the vehicles appeal to as wide a variety of modelers as possible. The exceptions are the post-war vehicles (choc'n'cream and carmine and cream). Photography was expensive and shots of brake vehicles are few and far between. Also it was a period of transition and details were not applied consistently so we decided to work from the few photos available and produce vehicles we were sure were accurate. The crimson and cream vehicle is a good example of this. BR painting specifications show that vehicle number should be at the right of the vehicle, however Swindon have put it on the left in GWR style.

Many hours were spent poring over books and photos but the detective work was rather fun. :D

Edited by Karhedron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On line ordering is now in play - 2 pre-orders booked today.

Note to self, remember to either turn off Javascript blockers on Firefox or use IE when ordering as my first attempt I hope failed otherwise I have4 of these on order!!

I'll order a couple of Thompsons next month.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello folks

A bit of good news - Dapol have confirmed that all the Colletts have finished production and are due to put on a boat at the end of this week.

At the moment you don't need to do anything - we will let people know via the NGS website and Journal (and here) about the final price and likely delivery date.

Cheers, Mike

NGS Product Development Officer

• Like 1

Going off the resistance on this website to paying the going rate, a full brake would have to come in at £30.00 to appeal to 4mm tightwads. The 2mm vans are looking good going off the images uploaded. I had doubts about roof rivets in 2mm scale but they look acceptable, however, representing the split between upper and lower cladding panels on "flush-sided" coaches is something I personally would avoid simply because it is always overscale and gets in the way of the lining. 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

£30 would be a bargain as the alternative is to build the Comet kits (K40/42) which are over 45 sheets now.I know because I've built three of them and would relish a rtr version.

• RMweb Gold

The 2mm vans are looking good going off the images uploaded. I had doubts about roof rivets in 2mm scale but they look acceptable, however, representing the split between upper and lower cladding panels on "flush-sided" coaches is something I personally would avoid simply because it is always overscale and gets in the way of the lining. 

Yes, I think if I am involved in the production of a similar type of coach in the future I would be inclined to agree.  The panelling looks acceptable to my eye, but I appreciate that it is overscale.  From the painted samples we have I think we've got lucky with the lining though!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Going off the resistance on this website to paying the going rate, a full brake would have to come in at £30.00 to appeal to 4mm tightwads. The 2mm vans are looking good going off the images uploaded. I had doubts about roof rivets in 2mm scale but they look acceptable, however, representing the split between upper and lower cladding panels on "flush-sided" coaches is something I personally would avoid simply because it is always overscale and gets in the way of the lining.

Shhh Coachman, don't give them any ideas as the price hasn't been decided yet and I was hoping for a tenner a pop. :)

I'm surprised that in the meantime Dapol have not announced an 00 version...

I might well be interested in one if there was, as it's one of the CWR vehicles I'm yet to have a model of, dependent on price. And if our sales of Dapol Wallingford coal wagons go well, I might have a word with our shop guys to see if they wanted to stock any, though of course the family market who make up the majority of our visitors is precisely the one the manufacturers have decided to largely abandon...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just as I was starting to get anxious, my Colletts have turned up!   :locomotive:

They look very nice and I have some pictures below alongside corresponding Dapol collett stock for comparison.

Only disappointment is that 147 has damaged paintwork on one side so I think I will have to contact Ann and see if I can arrange a replacement. :( A shame but it was on the side not visible from front of the box so no real way to spot it.

DSCF5440_zpskduyqmvj.jpg

DSCF5437_zpsnnhtsj27.jpg

DSCF5434_zpsnv5mkdpt.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 2

For some reason I can't open the photos, but assuming that there match the examples given above, I'd happily pay the same as Hornby will be charging for its new Colletts for one of these, does that make me a skinflint?