Facing Point Lock

This might be of interest to a few. At work noticed just after I had come on duty that the Facing Point Lock cover was lying on the ballast shoulder. Reported Control and I went to move the cover to a safer place. (Incidentally when I was on p-way we were told you never touched any FPL equipment!) Going out to see it revealed the workings normally contained within, now recorded for you to see :D

post-125-0-00720800-1352303930_thumb.jpg

post-125-0-87640400-1352304137_thumb.jpg

post-125-0-40780200-1352304036_thumb.jpg

And an overall view -

post-125-0-86729400-1352304269_thumb.jpg

Could you please explain what the rod in the 4ft that disappears towards the right in last picture is for? It appears to be linked to the first tie bar via the crank, a kinky bar and and bracket (painted blue), but where does the other end go?

Nick

Could you please explain what the rod in the 4ft that disappears towards the right in last picture is for? It appears to be linked to the first tie bar via the crank, a kinky bar and and bracket (painted blue), but where does the other end go?
This is the backdrive to ensure the free wheel clearance is maintained further along the switch rail.

This was taken by a friend of mine, the turnout is the one which diverges from the mainline to the branch going away from the camera. The guy by the box was part of a gang cutting trees back (his chain saw is on th walking route!) - I normally have at least on window open but they'rfe all closed as I could hear the bells for their tools!

7796456078_545dfbdfa3_o.jpg

66603 6Z83 Gilbo by 6Y99, on Flickr

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, James. I thought that might be what LNERGE meant :scratchhead: So, if I've got it right, that rod relays the drive down to another tie bar further along the switch rails? Also seen on the turnout at the bottom of the picture?

Nick

The backdrive drives another stretcher bar (or bars on long switches) and can be mounted either in the four foot as in the pic below or on the sleeper ends

post-6859-0-64101000-1352332778_thumb.jpg

The backdrive drives another stretcher bar...

post-702-0-35995800-1352369149_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-62280800-1352369179_thumb.jpg

...As been pointed out many times, point switches have STRETCHER BARS a tiebar is a completly different animal. Mick.

Thanks, Mike and Mick. I've already written out 100 times "I must not call a stretcher bar a tiebar". I do know the difference, but my brain and fingers aren't always in sync :scratchhead:

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its also worthy of mention that the side the point number is fitted to is the normal side, ie, it denotes which position is normal. Its not always 'easily' obvious! So in James' first picture, those points are in the reverse position.

The arrow next to the points number is unusual though, rare to see in my experiance and again it just points to the normal side.

If the number ends in either 'A' or 'B', it will be part of a cross-over, "The A end or B end". Likewise, a catch point may also be prefixed by A or B as its always associated with a set of points to the entrance or exit to another line.

The 'A' end is normally closest to the controlling signal box.

Thanks, Mike and Mick. I've already written out 100 times "I must not call a stretcher bar a tiebar". I do know the difference, but my brain and fingers aren't always in sync :scratchhead:

Nick

I have to admit that correct terminology is not high on my list of priorities when the blasted things lose detection................

Archived