Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

On 08/12/2022 at 12:53, Wheatley said:

Mine arrived today, some sellotape to hold the posting box shut and a bit of packing within it wouldn't have hurt but nothing appears to be broken.

The two humper was a one off, believed to be the prototype i think (but it's a long time since I read that so don't quote me !) Someone obviously tidied up the design (a bit) before the square production batch. 

The twin hump tender was a one off built at Cowlairs works, and used upon the waterside branch in Airshire, a real oddball as it had a steam pipe running over the top, there’s an interesting article scratchbuilding tenders in 7mm in MRJ no 117, which includes this one and the other Stratford boxy one.

The only kit for this one is by Parkwood in N gauge, ( on fleebay) and they do the other two as well in resin.

F4BA623D-03DA-4FD7-B299-01F867C713E3.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, big jim said:

Is anyone else seeing the photo in @Trev52A post on the previous page like this?

D02C253B-CF12-47FE-A4CC-0195E68DF6C5.jpeg.b6e19b1f80c3098e99af7f38d46a06c2.jpeg

Yes, but Trevor's image is not looking that today. I have seen one or two of those weird colour images sprinkled across several threads.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/12/2022 at 21:24, Trev52A said:

As this topic is current again due to the new batch now being available, I thought it might be worthwhile to upload this picture of mine of the northbound Anglo-Scottish Car Carrier. (It was previously uploaded to this topic - not by me - in 2013, but the picture in that post now seems to be lost.) A brake tender with XP headlamps! The Brush Type 4 had apparently failed and been rescued by a Type 2 which looks like it was commandeered off a freight, still with the DBT attached. I took this at Low Fell, Gateshead on 2nd August 1967 but I did not make a note of the locos involved! I would be delighted to hear from anyone else who saw this working who can supply the missing details. To my eyes the brake tender looks like the new weathered green version as offered by Dapol - how close is it?

766100944_(748iSW)D51xxD1xxxLowFell2-8-67(TrevorErmel)copy.jpg.2f774ae4f29678bcd38c0514937cbf18.jpg

Cheers

Trevor

Interesting that the two locos and brake tender are still in GSYP livery (full yellow ends were around by then) yet by 1967 the entire train is already in blue/grey - including the six Newton Chambers car carriers on the rear. 

Thanks to Heljan one will shortly be able to recreate this train using RTR products!

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 08:04, xm607 said:

The twin hump tender was a one off built at Cowlairs works,

Reading a few posts before and a good few after, from this post: you should get chapter and verse on the various guises of the Cowlairs tender.

• 2 months later...

While I was at the Glasgow Show the Hornby Magazine Stand were promoting and selling the Diesel Brake Tenders.  I nearly bought one but hesitated which left me kicking myself after I got home so while under the influence of a couple of nice glasses of Glenfiddich I ordered one on Saturday evening and it arrived today.

20230309_151655_copy_1600x1200.jpg.eb2f025306f181994b0dea06d09d7dc6.jpg

It is an absolute beauty, needing careful handling as there is a lot of fragile details, notably the lamps and brackets as a result it has been returned to the box while heavy work goes on on the layout.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

While I was at the Glasgow Show the Hornby Magazine Stand were promoting and selling the Diesel Brake Tenders.  I nearly bought one but hesitated which left me kicking myself after I got home so while under the influence of a couple of nice glasses of Glenfiddich I ordered one on Saturday evening and it arrived today.

20230309_151655_copy_1600x1200.jpg.eb2f025306f181994b0dea06d09d7dc6.jpg

It is an absolute beauty, needing careful handling as there is a lot of fragile details, notably the lamps and brackets as a result it has been returned to the box while heavy work goes on on the layout.

Jim

I seem to remember that one of the criticisms of these was that the various handrails stick out too far, as do the brake wheels on the sides.

I addressed this on my two from memory without much difficulty, as the handrails can be carefully pulled out, the holes drilled clear and then they can be pushed in properly. Or something like that! Anyone with a better memory care to comment please?

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

I seem to remember that one of the criticisms of these was that the various handrails stick out too far, as do the brake wheels on the sides.

I addressed this on my two from memory without much difficulty, as the handrails can be carefully pulled out, the holes drilled clear and then they can be pushed in properly. Or something like that! Anyone with a better memory care to comment please?

John.

I felt it necessary to do the same to mine, and it looks all the better for it. I positioned the handrails and brake wheels where I thought they should be and secured them from the inside with superglue. Mine was also missing a lamp bracket so I folded one up from scrap brass etch and superglued it into the empty socket.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Saw that Key Publishing are still selling these for £36 or so, versus the whopping £130 I saw somewhere!

Anyway, fancied doing some heavy weathering...

Sorry about the desk as backdrop - not the most 'railway' of environments!

It's surprising how under photography the green still looks so green - in the flesh it's a good deal darker and more subdued.

KPBrakeTender2.jpeg.0a1f510a0458a8730cf8969335e4f201.jpegKPBrakeTender1.jpeg.1a56c05bb66dba168d37c4ea0acc16c2.jpeg

Edited by 97xx
  • Like 9