Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

Lovely plan but will there actually be an opportunity for you to pop out to the 'shed' and just run a few trains on our own?

Yes Mike, all of the "lever frames" are on plug in computer leads and can be brought to the inside of the layout for one man operation!!

Regards John E.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The wood butchery continues apace with the storage units that will support the north fiddle yard. 

post-10660-0-74637800-1433368584_thumb.jpg

Lighting has obviously been completed and the floor sealed, also outside work now complete except for a bit of guttering.

• Like 15

So having completed the gents along the back wall, I have now gone around the bend and started along the front.

post-10660-0-79568300-1434129422_thumb.jpg

One of the scenic boards has been placed temporarily into position so that people may now understand what I have previously been trying to describe!!

This is the board where the alterations start, most of the track will be lifted and realigned from the baseboard joint onward. The board itself will probably have to be modified too. All subsequent boards have yet to be built - after I have finished the new track design.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That all looks superb. Any chance of a close up of the electronics in the foreground of the above image? I'm hoping to surface mount everything on my new layout and I'd be interested to see how you've arranged yours.

Thanks.

That all looks superb. Any chance of a close up of the electronics in the foreground of the above image? I'm hoping to surface mount everything on my new layout and I'd be interested to see how you've arranged yours.

Thanks.

Ray, have a look at pages 13 and 16 of this thread. If they are not helpful give me a clue as to what you want to see and I will post another pic.

John E.

• RMweb Premium

John

Thanks for those pointers.

I can see the servos - a close up (or a description of the mount used would be appreciated). The servo4 boards are also recognised. What is the third component/pcb? Is it a decoder?

Unknowingly you have also reminded me of how you fix your foam to the baseboard, something I want to look at doing. I get the impression that you cover the whole of the baseboard top with foam. Is that so? Do you then just rely on the thickness of the ballast to provide a shoulder?

Ray

The following picture and drawing will hopefully answer Ray's question about servo mounting. I do believe in keeping things simple and not over engineering things. The mount is made from 40th plastikard and attached to the servo with solvent. The label needs to be removed first of course. The reason for the small square of 40th being attached to the servo first is to seal against leakage of the servo lubricant which adversely affects the adhesive on the foam pad ( as I found out after having fitted a large number).The double sided self adhesive foam pad is attached to the servo next and then to the base plate. Finally, slip into position a length of 60 x 60 thou plastic rod and weld into position, this acts as a hinge and holds all in alignment as well as safeguarding against the self adhesive pad slipping!! The two mounting holes are used to screw into position where required and then the wire in tube is connected with the operating arm onto the splined output shaft. The foam pad provides sound insulation and a small amount of cushioned movement.

post-10660-0-38856500-1435224258_thumb.jpgpost-10660-0-12573200-1435224241_thumb.jpg

The picture shows four servos mounted for point operation and connected to a MERG Servo4 board. Next is the Relay board that has been custom made by a friend. The four relays are double pole double throw switches that operate the servo and simultaneously switch the frog polarity. The relays are each connected to an on/off switch, nice and simple non digital. The labels are the point numbers that are controlled by each relay/servo to assist fault rectification!

Regarding the foam insulation, yes the whole board is covered and then cut away to sink buildings etc into "the ground". There is no ballast shoulder as such in the station area, in fact very little ballast judging by photos from the period, it looks like mud in places. Out on the main lines beyond the junction the foam will be trimmed back to form the shoulder.

Regards John E.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks John.

I am hoping to mount my servos vertically on the front face of the baseboard, bolted to a small piece of brass angle that is in turn screwed to the top edge of the baseboard. I am also hoping that I can use the servo's horn to operate a micro switch that switches the frog polarity. Although a test build managed to activate the microswitch I'm a little concerned about the reliability of doing so.

However, looking at your idea I wonder if I could mimic your idea and fix the micro switch to the plasticard base.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wondering has anything happened on Leeds or have you been enjoying a great summer?

Keith HC

You are partly correct Keith, due to missing last summer completely I have been taking advantage of the weather as and when it turns warm. I have also made a conscious decision not to reconnect the railway at present for two reasons, first that there are some mods required to the boards that will necessitate dismantling and secondly that I have some outstanding commitments to build track and signals for two other projects that I am involved in. Therefore I do not anticipate any progress on Leeds until about October time. However, in the meantime research continues into the operational side of things with a visit to the NRM archives and some interesting engine working documents discovered via the Mid Railway Soc.

Regards John E.

• Like 1

Thank you John for the update. Keep on the good work and I look forward to when the layout progresses. I am finding the research on my small station project quite enjoyable. I have only used the tinterweb so far but the NRM will be on my list for the future. For us down south modellers the lastest update to the NLS map site are just soooo fascinating and one of my greatest time wasting events of the day.

Keith HC 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry chaps, I have been a little remiss in not keeping you posted about life here at Leeds!

I did say that it would be about October before any further progress could be made and sure enough the last week of the month saw the PW and S&T teams return to base. Work to build trackwork for a well known station on the ex MR Peak District mainline is complete but remains to be installed. The S&T sub contract was for signal and point operation at a box on the Hope Valley route, now complete and maybe even the possibility of a layout thread on RMWeb!!

Before any work could commence on the layout itself, there were a few remaining tasks to complete. As I discovered when I tried to do some filing at the work bench, there was not enough elbow room with the layout in its new position so the first job was to dismantle the bench, take six inches off and re assemble. Whilst the messy work was in progress, it seemed a good time to re install the extractor fans ready for the joyful day when I can get the airbrush out again!

As the layout is to become shed bound, thoughts turned to the electrical supplies and control systems that no longer needed to be portable. I also wanted to provide a track supply, programming track and DCC control along the new work benches. So trunking was installed, racks constructed, sockets fitted etc as well as making provision for the supplies to the layout itself.

You may recall that I mentioned some time ago that I had detected a problem with some of the board joints that I attributed to a built in sag. Whilst the saw dust was still on the ground, this seemed like a good time to tackle this issue. On closer examination with the boards on their new “level” supports, it was apparent that this was not the case but it was a sag in the plywood tops. The solution was to fit some additional support to the baseboard framing which seems to have improved matters. This little task complete, the boards were installed in their new home, clipped together, connected up to the power supply and control system - hey presto it all worked. After a thorough track clean I was able to run a Peak all over it. A couple of point control tubes needed sticking down but otherwise the railway seems to have survived its six month storage remarkably well.

So time now to forge ahead. This week I have been stuck in front of the computer with the latest version of Templot fired up and throbbing! With the extra space now available and two storage yards to run into, I am re designing the point and crossing work where it sweeps around the bend towards City Junction. I am working to a minimum radius of 4ft on the main lines. The extra space will allow the full junction complex to be modelled along with the missing crossover on the south side. Having said that, it is proving incredibly difficult to squeeze it all in. The results so far are illustrated below, there is a long way to go yet. Once the track design is complete, the new boards need to be designed and I can already see that locating the joints is going to be a nightmare!!

post-10660-0-78498200-1448703814_thumb.png

• Like 14

What about a 'jigsaw' section on a shallow sub frame to drop into the main framing, a'la Iain Rice?

You could then define the sub frame perimeter by the natural track panel joints.

Edited by leopardml2341

• 3 weeks later...

The wood butcher is here again and the Gap is being bridged!

post-10660-0-24750100-1450204257_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-63411800-1450204261_thumb.jpg

Playtime is a little closer..............

All of the track visible in the picture will be lifted and a new junction layout constructed. The canal needs to move slightly as well. Same goes for the servos and relays.

• Like 11