Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

The S&T boys have been hard at it with the promise of an early finish if they completed the first board... and so they have! 

post-10660-0-25729600-1482259774_thumb.jpg

The board has been temporarily put back in place for testing, mainly so that the loco does not drop off the ends!!

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The S&T boys have been hard at it with the promise of an early finish if they completed the first board... and so they have! 

Hi John,

That looks really good - hope I can get mine as straight!  If you don't mind me asking what are the servos mounted along the board edge for?

Rich

Hi John,

That looks really good - hope I can get mine as straight!  If you don't mind me asking what are the servos mounted along the board edge for?

Rich

They operate the points Rich via wire in tube. They are easier to maintain and setup etc rather than mounting below baseboard. I am planning for the future when I will be too frail to crawl about underneath!!

Regards John E.

• RMweb Gold

They operate the points Rich via wire in tube. They are easier to maintain and setup etc rather than mounting below baseboard. I am planning for the future when I will be too frail to crawl about underneath!!

Regards John E.

Hi John,

Thanks what an interesting idea - I'd never thought of that.  I presume you've laid the tube under the board, rather than cutting out a channel?

Rich

Hi John,

Thanks what an interesting idea - I'd never thought of that.  I presume you've laid the tube under the board, rather than cutting out a channel?

Rich

At a bit of a loose end John, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread to answer Rich's query?

Rich,

From Post 527, an edited pic which should explain:

post-1525-0-68554800-1482306301_thumb.jpg

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

No more mince pie munching!! The soldering iron has been fired up and a bit more progress is being made. The two straight boards of the North FY are now complete and tested and as can be seen from the photo I am now working on the corner board. Installing the TT is a first for me and takes a bit of thinking about.

post-10660-0-63980800-1483726369_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi John,

You mentioned the turntable and I know from a few posts back that its a peco turntable that you have converted to EM but can you provide info on how you will operate this. I can see from one of your photographs what appears to be a stepper motor and drive belt with some other bits & bats ,but it would be very interesting to know how it will index each of the bays unless its by "Mk 1 eyeball" :no: .

post-15511-0-50035900-1483728299.jpg

• Like 1

Hi John,

You mentioned the turntable and I know from a few posts back that its a peco turntable that you have converted to EM but can you provide info on how you will operate this. I can see from one of your photographs what appears to be a stepper motor and drive belt with some other bits & bats ,but it would be very interesting to know how it will index each of the bays unless its by "Mk 1 eyeball" :no: .

Ian, it is an ADM Turntable. They come fitted with Peco turntables so not a lot of use except for fiddle yards. It does have a stepper motor but comes complete, assembled and ready to plug and play, you just need to supply the right sized hole in the baseboard. They are not cheap, around £400 each but they work superbly and are very easy to set up. It is the laying and aligning of approach tracks etc that is a bit tricky. They are aligned by eye but can be adjusted to a fraction of a millimetre.

Regards, John E

Ian, it is an ADM Turntable. They come fitted with Peco turntables so not a lot of use except for fiddle yards. It does have a stepper motor but comes complete, assembled and ready to plug and play, you just need to supply the right sized hole in the baseboard. They are not cheap, around £400 each but they work superbly and are very easy to set up. It is the laying and aligning of approach tracks etc that is a bit tricky. They are aligned by eye but can be adjusted to a fraction of a millimetre.

Regards, John E

Have you had a lottery win? :jester:

post-10660-0-40588500-1484162036_thumb.jpg

Corner board of FY now complete and tested, just a bit of capping to cut and fit. This means that the NFY is now all complete apart from a few tweeks  so next I shall be well and truly up the junction!!

Note the stop blocks, hopefully these will prevent certain drivers ending up in the dirt!!

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a lengthy chat this morning with TheLaird who has authorised me to announce that work has begun on the 'South' Fiddle Yard, variously AKA Engine Shed Junction and Normanton.

All the existing track and underlay has been lifted and new cork sheet glued down. Wire in tube to link the servos to operate the turn-out mechanisms is being installed prior to the turnouts themselves being laid. These have all been built and feature laid out in an earlier post. Plain track will be C&L on the mark 2 version, replacing the SMP EM track used on mark 1. There will also be a loco stabling area and turntable similar to that installed on the 'North' Fiddle Yard, AKA Whitehall Junction.

Once all is complete playing trains can start thorough testing will commence. Watch the thread for further developments!

• Like 5

Hi John,

I thought once we had the running session last week, that it would spur you on to start the other fiddle yard.

I've been mugging up on the track layout, at that end (via Leeds Termini), and understand the relationship with Leeds City South now. It's quite unbelievable that as the lines exit LCS, there are only 2 tracks, just before it splits again across the junction.

Could have a Trans Pennine set coming round the corner, if Bachmann ever produce one. 

Kevin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great to witness the latest progress to the South Fiddle Yard. All plain track is laid with the last few turnouts remaining to go down. Wiring up is continuing apace.

The Viaduct line and the tracks leading are Engine Shed Junction are all in place. The loco traverser (in foreground in Post 571) and loco yard/turntable remain to be done.

It's all coming together!

• Like 1

All the existing track and underlay has been lifted and new cork sheet glued down. 

Plain track will be C&L on the mark 2 version, replacing the SMP EM track used on mark 1!

Was there a problem with the underlay and SMP track and are you going to lift it throughout the model or is it just the fiddle yards?

• Like 1

Was there a problem with the underlay and SMP track and are you going to lift it throughout the model or is it just the fiddle yards?

No problems Ian. Its just that the original yard was laid with wider spacing to accommodate cassettes so only 10 tracks, I have now got twelve. Regards the underlay, I found the 2mm cork sheet in B&Q at a good price so decided to try it (£30ish for 10Msq). It does appear to provide a better surface but I won't be replacing the rest - life isn't long enough!!!

Regards John E.

• Like 2