Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

Some of those spares may not last much longer. On my recent visit to the MR Study centre at Derby I came across some more detailed information on the signalling in the fifties which has filled quite a number of gaps in my knowledge!!

John E.

• Like 5

As the inaugurator of the first Clyde - Clyde express, I share your pain!

Kevin

:O  :O

aye but you were just showing sympathy to your fellow man: Weedgies wilt in the sun if allowed outside down south (even Irn-Bru will not revive them) and Londoners open their mouth and end up bobbing in the Clyde, so you thought keeping them apart in their native habitats was the most humane thing to do (honest, you did didn't you? ;) )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had an excellent day with TheLaird today. The remaining rails were cleaned as he has sprayed all the track on the 'scenic' section. DMU schedules were worked out and finalised (10 units required which we've got) and the trains formations were given a good case of looking at and we decided how the various class 1 workings will be represented.

Oh, and the layout was given a thorough testing with one of the Peaks, a Fairburn tank and, rather away from home territory, a Gloucester Class 128 Parcels unit with a Legomanbiffo sound chip newly installed.

We have a Display Stand at the Leeds show next month where we'll be hoping to gather further information about LCN.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

That's a heck of a long platform, is it intended to run full length trains, what's that 13 or 14 coaches?

Although a quick look at the train formation for 13 June 1960 the 10.15 am from St Pancras was made up of:

BSK(24)* CK(24/18)* FK(42)* RF(24) SO(64)* 3 SK(48)* SK(48)(SO)* SO(48)* BSK(24)*

So perhaps smaller trains.

The platform edges look good, are they a kit or self built?

Best regards

Ian

Yes IAN we do run full length trains the max length being 11 coaches. This is correct for the current date of operation which is Wednesday 12th September 1962. This is convenient as no strengtheners were added midweek. I do need to allow for a loco at each end of course as nearly all services reverse here.

The platform edges are to my own design based on the prototype and cut on the laser.

• Like 1

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me, Leeds City is very impressive, are you sure you won't ever take it out on the road, it would be lovely to see it but as I recall with BGS you're pretty good with the video camera so I guess we can look forward to that!

Ian

Hi John,

That's a heck of a long platform, is it intended to run full length trains, what's that 13 or 14 coaches?

Although a quick look at the train formation for 13 June 1960 the 10.15 am from St Pancras was made up of:

BSK(24)* CK(24/18)* FK(42)* RF(24) SO(64)* 3 SK(48)* SK(48)(SO)* SO(48)* BSK(24)*

So perhaps smaller trains.

The platform edges look good, are they a kit or self built?

Best regards

Ian

That will be the summer timetable formation Ian. Train lengths were shorter as soon as the winter timetable commenced. Looking at photos as part of the research for the layout, it became clear that most of the photos we found were taken in the summer (for obvious reasons) and on a Saturday (again the reasons are pretty obvious). Photos of 'typical' Leeds - Morecambe workings being difficult to find in published sources in any other circumstances.

As far as train lengths are concerned, the longest trains tend to be the overnights with a mix of coaches and parcels vans, some with sleeping cars added to the mix. Coaches were added to the basic formations on Mondays and Friday's, while some extras appear in the WTT on the other weekdays, hence the decision to model a Wednesday. I don't think we'd have problems accommodating the longer trains in the station, especially platforms 5 & 6, it' the fiddle yards where difficulties might have been encountered.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...