Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Premium

, and we all know about policemans selective memory loss!!

Mike.

As they were Leeds City CID it could have been induced by anything especially alcohol.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• 3 weeks later...

John

I was in Leeds station yesterday and noticed that platforms 1 and 2 are at a lower level than the rest of the station and that platform 1 has an old saw-tooth awning similar to Bingley station, on nicely ornamental casr iron pillars.

Are these relics of the old Midland station?

Ian

I've had a fantastic response to my request for information about the bullion runs on the retired police site that I'm on. Much of it is about Police firearms that I can't share but the consensus is that the changeover to the use of Stourton was 1970/71 when the Bank of England moved to a site on King Street in Leeds from Park Row. The other nugget that has come out is that the trains used to work into Leeds central then moved to Leeds City. It seems from the photo above of the bullion van at the head of a passenger train that they might just have attached it to the front of a normal passenger working. This would of course have placed the bullion van virtually alongside the side entrance to the old platform 5. It seems to have been weekly till the new arrangements, after which it went to a monthly cycle. I have no idea what stock was used prior to the new bullion vans being introduced.This article on a site called Secret Leeds gives a lot of info.http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6441#Hope this discussion has been of interest. My request has certainly generated a lot of interest and comments on the retired police site.Jamie

Hi Jamie, much obliged for your info.

A couple of former workmates have told me in the past that bullion vans (mk1s?) were used to store removed OHLE copper from the Woodhead Route, apparently stabled at Guide Bridge and under guard no less, so there must've been a lot of it.

Obviously this would've been at some point after July 1981 and probably later, as the wires were kept energised for some time after closure (at least on the LM side) to deter theft.

Any insight on this most appreciated and apologies for minor thread diversion!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie, much obliged for your info.

A couple of former workmates have told me in the past that bullion vans (mk1s?) were used to store removed OHLE copper from the Woodhead Route, apparently stabled at Guide Bridge and under guard no less, so there must've been a lot of it.

Obviously this would've been at some point after July 1981 and probably later, as the wires were kept energised for some time after closure (at least on the LM side) to deter theft.

Any insight on this most appreciated and apologies for minor thread diversion!

conversion

I'll try and keep the diversion brief but there probably is some truth to the story. A late friend of mine had a friend who was responsible for part of the closed Woodhead route and the power was definitely turned back on to deter copper thieves. There was definitely a huge weight of copper hanging up there.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

conversion

I'll try and keep the diversion brief but there probably is some truth to the story. A late friend of mine had a friend who was responsible for part of the closed Woodhead route and the power was definitely turned back on to deter copper thieves. There was definitely a huge weight of copper hanging up there.

Jamie

During which time domestic electricity bills in Penistone were zero!

Mike.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

post-10660-0-70252600-1540926268_thumb.jpg

At first glance this may look just like the Signalbox Diagram but on closer inspection you will see some green LED's. The purpose of this is to act as an "OFF" indicator to drivers. Experience has shown that some of the signals are difficult for the drivers to see, some because of their location and others due to their size or type. Ground discs are very small and when facing away there is only the very small backblinder to give a clue as to aspect shewn. Colour light signals are of course almost impossible to read unless directly in front. So the "OFF" indicator panel leaves drivers in no doubt if their signal is clear. It also enables the controller to keep an eye on what the signalmen are doing!!

This panel is one of the many things progressing in the background, below are some pics of others:-

post-10660-0-53621500-1540926381_thumb.jpg

The first trial of some of the electric locks.

post-10660-0-02901200-1540926398_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-01830400-1540926410_thumb.jpg

Experiments with smaller digital servos for signal operation.

post-10660-0-67117900-1540926430_thumb.jpg

Bits to keep things on the rails when entering and leaving cassettes.

post-10660-0-98254600-1540926453_thumb.jpg

And more of these!!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

“Stop at the green light when it is not illuminated.”

;-)

(A misquote of the instructions to drivers for the GWR ‘ball’ signal at Reading.)

Really enjoying your signalling adventures.

Paul.

• Like 1

This panel is one of the many things progressing in the background, below are some pics of others:-

The first trial of some of the electric locks.

Meanwhile, development of the electric locks themselves is also progressing - here is a quick shot of the first production prototypes fitted to a "spare" frame for testing. 

post-11380-0-30587900-1541086202_thumb.jpg

The two cocktail sticks are temporary substitutes for the 8BA studding which should be doing the job, but is a bit of a fiddle to do-up and undo!

So far, so good - only a further 28 to do...

Best Wishes,

Howard

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hello John,

attachicon.gifIMG_1123.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1124.jpg

Experiments with smaller digital servos for signal operation

I've been following you post with great interest and am very impressed with how much you've achieved in the six or so years since you started. I am building an as yet fairly embryonic  model of Yeovil Pen Mill (GWR) set in 1922 and have been thinking of how to construct my signals. I want them to be unpluggable from the baseboard and to be able to set them up (with Servos) away from the layout so that they're ready to go when plugged in...no fiddling under the baseboard if I can avoid it! I've posted my progress on the Templot forum under track building if its of interest?

Having just seen your images of the servos held in laser cut MDF(?) made we wonder if you are thinking of making these frames available commercially as they look just what Ive been looking for. Like you I've just come across some very small and rather neat miniature digital servos which I think will fit the bill.

Apologies for my cheek in asking and well done for achieving what you have so far, its very impressive!

Kind regards

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Hello John,

I've been following you post with great interest and am very impressed with how much you've achieved in the six or so years since you started. I am building an as yet fairly embryonic  model of Yeovil Pen Mill (GWR) set in 1922 and have been thinking of how to construct my signals. I want them to be unpluggable from the baseboard and to be able to set them up (with Servos) away from the layout so that they're ready to go when plugged in...no fiddling under the baseboard if I can avoid it! I've posted my progress on the Templot forum under track building if its of interest?

Having just seen your images of the servos held in laser cut MDF(?) made we wonder if you are thinking of making these frames available commercially as they look just what Ive been looking for. Like you I've just come across some very small and rather neat miniature digital servos which I think will fit the bill.

Apologies for my cheek in asking and well done for achieving what you have so far, its very impressive!

Kind regards

Andrew

Andrew, if you haven't already done so take a look at Steve Hewitt's topic:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59687-semaphore-signals-4mm-scale-mainly/

Andrew, if you haven't already done so take a look at Steve Hewitt's topic:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59687-semaphore-signals-4mm-scale-mainly/

Hello

Yes thanks for the reply, I have read right the way through Steve's essay on signal building and your right a very good and educative read it it is.

Kind regards

Andrew

Hello John,

Kind regards

Andrew

Andrew, I have no intentions at this stage of entering the commercial world with my creations but am always willing to help out a fellow finescale modeller!! Drop me a pm with what you have in mind and I will let you know what I can do..  Nice layout by the way and glad to see that you too have been seduced by Howard's lever frame!

Regards John E.

• Like 1

Having taken delivery of the completed Track Circuit Boards from the Proff last week, it seemed rude not to get them installed. So this week has seen the S&T gang take over the layout....

post-10660-0-80431400-1543168992_thumb.jpg

The boards have been installed, insulating gaps cut in the rails and track feeds re routed and extended via the detectors.....

post-10660-0-52946000-1543167586_thumb.jpg

I now have a functioning "Illuminated Diagram". In addition to those Track Circuits that light up on the diagram, there are others that work with the electric locking of the signalling system.

post-10660-0-88370300-1543167614_thumb.jpg

This board was also installed at the same time and is primarily to assist the shunter who works at the front of the layout and cannot see when he has cleared the crossover. The shunter is not able to see the signal repeater panel at the rear of the layout either.

The opportunity was also taken to re route the cables to the signal servos away from the traction current to minimise interference.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Nice to catch up with the Laird yesterday at the NEC.

The layout is coming along very nicely..

And I now know what to set the dcc speed curve to for locos used on the layout!

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice to catch up with the Laird yesterday at the NEC.

The layout is coming along very nicely..

And I now know what to set the dcc speed curve to for locos used on the layout!

Baz

One of my future jobs is to set up all my locos so that the speed step displayed corresponds to the scale speed in miles per hour.

• Like 1

One of my future jobs is to set up all my locos so that the speed step displayed corresponds to the scale speed in miles per hour.

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?  Baz, take note!

A thought - Why is it that when working on 128 speed steps the controller only does 100?

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Thank goodness DCC is only two wires!

Mike.

Hi Mike

I think we need to ask Jamie to contact some of his old mates......I think I know where all that Woodhead copper has ended up.

Hi John

Serious head on.....I am very impressed with what you are achieving.