Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Premium

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?  Baz, take note!

A thought - Why is it that when working on 128 speed steps the controller only does 100?

John E.

Don't know John. My NCE system goes up to 126 (0 to 126 = 127 steps, with the last one reserved for something or other).

My plan is to limit the top speed to about 60 mph. Any increase in speed steps beyond 60 won't result in the loco actually going any faster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't know John. My NCE system goes up to 126 (0 to 126 = 127 steps, with the last one reserved for something or other).

My plan is to limit the top speed to about 60 mph. Any increase in speed steps beyond 60 won't result in the loco actually going any faster.

Get a Sprog. It is so easy to programme CVs rather than via a hand set. ( and if the elves and pixies scramble the CVS it is easy to reprogramme the chip)

Food for thought though...how much track is required to allow you to get a good assessment of actual speed?

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Get a Sprog. It is so easy to programme CVs rather than via a hand set. ( and if the elves and pixies scramble the CVS it is easy to reprogramme the chip)

Food for thought though...how much track is required to allow you to get a good assessment of actual speed?

Baz

Hi Baz

This what I done to work out scale speed, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87205-sheffield-exchange-toy-trains-music-and-fun/?p=3162773

I have now become quite good at setting my "local" trains to run at 50 to 60 mph on DC.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Meanwhile, the S&T New Works Dept. has got the Wellington Frame assembled.   Just the locking bridles to make and fit now then ...

post-11380-0-14598600-1543912926_thumb.jpg

Of all the locked frames I have built, this is the first one where I have built the frame, then fitted the locks - previously it has been necessary to push both jobs along at once - I must say it is very nice to be able to try-out various options on a physical frame, a luxury the boys who did this for a living never had.

The frame is certainly very well laid-out (even though it does not look like it from a first look at the diagram)

post-11380-0-80703100-1543913460_thumb.jpg

From this, the enthusiasts will be able to spot the route "pulled off" above.

Ah well. back to the locking design...

Best Wishes,

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The pro’s like a challenge too. Throwing in a lever 0 like Ledbury (or is it A) just throws the counting out!

Like real frames, nice to see it mounted on a large timber beam. PM to come with my entry.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile, the S&T New Works Dept. has got the Wellington Frame assembled.   Just the locking bridles to make and fit now then ...

attachicon.gifWellington Frameno locks.jpg

Of all the locked frames I have built, this is the first one where I have built the frame, then fitted the locks - previously it has been necessary to push both jobs along at once - I must say it is very nice to be able to try-out various options on a physical frame, a luxury the boys who did this for a living never had.

The frame is certainly very well laid-out (even though it does not look like it from a first look at the diagram)

attachicon.gifLeeds Wellington Box Diagram v1_2 paper resize.jpg

Best Wishes,

Stock Sidings to North Departure if I didn't lose count...

Edit: I'm intrigued by the worked distants - quite unusual on the approaches to a terminus I would have thought.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Baz

Absolutely Baz. I do all my programming using a Sprog (usual disclaimer), a length of track (and sometimes a rolling road) and JMRI Decoder Pro. Piece of cake.

Regarding speed, 60 mph is just under 14 inches per second in 4 mm scale. I suppose how long a track you need depends on what speed you want to measure and how well you can count the seconds. For lower speeds I find that counting wheel revolutions on the rolling road (see above) is not too difficult, although if you were looking at speed step 125 and trying to match both ends of an HST that would be more tricky.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

The pro’s like a challenge too. Throwing in a lever 0 like Ledbury (or is it A) just throws the counting out!

Like real frames, nice to see it mounted on a large timber beam. PM to come with my entry.

Paul.

It's an 'A'. (IIRC).

Edited by leopardml2341

Stock Sidings to North Departure if I didn't lose count...

Edit: I'm intrigued by the worked distants - quite unusual on the approaches to a terminus I would have thought.

Correct!  Edit:- well done also to Clive Mortimore and 5BarVT for correct entries!

The locking on 22 (for the opposing move(s)) is a bit tricky - I "think" it goes something like

22 Locks 23 Either way, Released by 41 When 23 Normal, (Released by 24 Locks 25, 26 Either way) When 23 Reversed, Released by 27 When (23,26 Reversed), (Released by 30 Locks 31,32) When (23,26,29) Reversed.

I think fixed Distants approaching termini are something of a "modern" idea (after all, the drivers should know where the buffer stops are to be found!) But there are rather a lot on the approach to Wellington (have a look at the City Junction frame some posts back). But it is a bit of a puzzle why there should be two on each arrival road.  My first thought was that the outer distant was to give an indication that any one of the Homes was Off whilst the inner Distant would indicate that it was the "Main" road Home which was off.  (and that is how the locking is)

But it was also suggested to us that the only reason that there were two levers for each road was simply that four arms were too much for one pull!    But that begs the question - why an inner and outer set of arms? On Some Railways, the inner Distant served the function of "Hurry Up" ie - if the driver was checked at the outer distant, but saw the inner distant Off (because of a late line clear for example), he could put steam on knowing that he was clear rather than expecting to be checked at each signal.   But at a Terminus?  With a 15mph speed limit? 

So any input based on inside knowledge would be appreciated!

Best Wishes,

Edited by HAB

22 Locks 23 Either way, Released by 41 When 23 Normal, (Released by 24 Locks 25, 26 Either way) When 23 Reversed, Released by 27 When (23,26 Reversed), (Released by 30 Locks 31,32) When (23,26,29) Reversed.

Hmm ... can't even write it correctly - should have been

22 Locks 23 Either way, Released by 41 When 23 Normal, (Released by 24 Locks 25, 26 Either way) When 23 Reversed, (Released by 27 Locks 31) When (23,26 Reversed), (Released by 30 Locks 32) When (23,26,29) Reversed.

Better check the mechanics are not wrong as well!

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

Amazing diagram

Meanwhile, the S&T New Works Dept. has got the Wellington Frame assembled. Just the locking bridles to make and fit now then ...

Wellington Frameno locks.jpg

Leeds Wellington Box Diagram v1_2 paper resize.jpg

Best Wishes,

Large Logo Livery on a 2MT? :)

It is as per a photograph from the owner... as is the weathering...

Baz

Yes, when I first saw it I thought it was a bit out of proportion and indeed it is!

One for the "They never carried that livery" photo defence :D

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1