Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Gold

I was nearly over excited with your first picture: your locking diagram is just like a 5 bar VT dog chart.  But being a 4 bar frame you draw between the lines not on the lines.  So as I’m not 4BarVT I’m only very excited!

Really well done and I’m most impressed.  Thank you for making my day.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest what does the blue lever do?

In all the (ex GER) boxes that I worked blue was the FPL and had to be reversed to lock the points.

I understand that the Midland employed an "economical point lock" whereby the lever operated both the lock and the points, although I have never been in a Midland box.

I like the layout. As a Batley lad it is all vaguely familiar and I can remember the, by then disused, Midland concourse. Wasn't there a railway bookshop there in the late sixties, early seventies?

If I remember correctly, my dad, who worked on the railways at Leeds, always called it Wellington station.

Ian T

1 hour ago, ianathompson said:

Just out of interest what does the blue lever do?

Ian T

Hello Ian,

Almost all of the points had economical FPLs, however, lever 11 is indeed an FPL (on crossover 9) and was probably necessary as 9 has three facing "ends".  We discussed if the lever should stand (ie lock) Normal or Reversed - different railways used different practices and some railways changed their standard from time to time.  On the Midland, standing Normal seems to have been the general (but perhaps not exclusive) practice.  However, in this case - being the only FPL in the frame - and given that we do not know what the reality was, we had to think about it.  There is a bit of complication that 13 releases 9 and also locks 10, yet there is a situation where 13,10 and 9 all require to be reversed at the same time (as in the photo) and another parallel route requires 13,12,10 and 9 all to be reversed.  It is a close thing, but on balance, it seemed that the layout is slightly easier to work if 11 locks Normal.  It has the advantage that the single blue lever in Wellington box, and the solitary blue lever in junction box (working a fouling bar) both work in the same sense. Which the Relief men will like...

But I would not like to be dogmatic about wheather it is "right"!!!  [now is the moment when someone posts the missing documentary evidence..]

Edit:- actually, the photo shows 13,12 and 33 reversed (South Sidings to South Departure) and 9,10,6,8, R (N Arrival to Plat.6).  Under this situation, the first points needing to be replaced are 10 or 12, and if 11 stood reversed, then this would necessitate unlocking 11 first to avoid "Push betweens"  ie having to replace one lever between 2 which are reversed - a good route to a hernia...

Thanks to everyone for the kind words BTW.

Best Wishes,

Edited by HAB
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Qualifies for the application of the Arthur C Clarke maxim:

'Any sufficiently advanced signalling technology may, at first, be indistinguishable from magic.'

Considering that this is basically late Victorian technology, that’s a terrifying thought...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HAB said:

"Push betweens"  ie having to replace one lever between 2 which are reversed - a good route to a hernia...

Thank you for your prompt reply. I had not considered that there might be multiple ends to lock/free depending upon traffic demands.

Re the quote. Yes, it was a real pain in the proverbial to reach in, as was required at some boxes.

Matters were not helped in the one box with mechanical points because the expertise to fettle these Victorian contraptions has now been lost by S&T.

This led to some interesting incidents before I took retirement a couple of years back!

Ian T

6 hours ago, HAB said:

The lever frame for Wellington box is now complete (mechanically) and has passed all the testing I have so far thrown at it.  There were a couple of quite important locks missed, but as it happens, they could be provided very easily without dismantling the whole thing. 

When I first looked at this job, I said I thought it would be fairly straightforward... well, it much of it was, but there are some quite difficult locks as I mentioned in a previous post.  In truth, the finished job has  quite a lot of metalwork in it:-

Howard

That is beautiful, your tenacity and patience has to be commended, having looked at the locking frames in a number of boxes (including Exeter West) they look hard enough to get working in 12" to the foot let alone in miniature.

Well done and keep up the good work.

7 hours ago, HAB said:

The lever frame for Wellington box is now complete (mechanically) and has passed all the testing I have so far thrown at it.  There were a couple of quite important locks missed, but as it happens, they could be provided very easily without dismantling the whole thing. 

When I first looked at this job, I said I thought it would be fairly straightforward... well, it much of it was, but there are some quite difficult locks as I mentioned in a previous post.  In truth, the finished job has  quite a lot of metalwork in it:-

80445011_WellingtonLocking.jpg.a173f1414fcabf80f4138897ba4d35c5.jpg

Part of the complexity comes from the number of possible routes - for example, in this shot, there are 22 out of the total of 53 levers reversed - these represent 4 separate routes, and in the middle, is a continuous run of 8 levers reversed, and they are involved in 3 of the 4 routes.

392737104_WellingtonFrame.jpg.cae462296e3c7b2b7bad6b4e5604af3d.jpg

Some of the metal work needs to be a bit ingenious to acheive all of this and here are close-ups of just three of these - in total, there are 15 "loose pieces" (the swinging bits) to provide all the conditional locks.

789727339_WellingtonLockinglever46.jpg.59d6e1a87c01854092ac4acbd9a721a1.jpg572059742_WellingtonLockinglevers29_37.jpg.f0e4185048bd88d5dfd44e46c49b9735.jpg1390795519_WellingtonLockinglevers7_12.jpg.dc6727f22f7da7b967711b77ae4a3180.jpg

So just the electrical bits to do, then the Laird has a few jobs to do before we can get the thing in service - experience with the City Junction frame has shown just how important some proper locking is to the running of the job!

Best wishes,

ooo isn't that a beautiful thing :) i hope its on show and not hidden in a box

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

On 04/02/2019 at 22:59, TheLaird said:

43039 waits patiently at the LCW Home signal. It will shortly get the subsidiary allowing it to back on to the empty stock in platform four. This will then form 1M46 departing 13.53 to Morecambe and Carnforth.

43039 LCW SA a.jpg

Shes going into shops in four weeks' time to be fitted with additional pick-ups on the tender wheels. With a Stayalive it doesn't give too many problems but this is a 'belt and braces' measure.  She also should be getting a bit of help on the Morecambe/Carnforth workings with a Standard Mogul and its Ivatt predecessor in the pipeline, and a couple more Black 5s should be entering service soon. Watch this space!

We had another operating session today, with 15 operators present.  I think a good time was had by all.

P.S. We've decided subsequent to today's (Sat 9/3/19) operating session that she doesn't need additional pick-ups because the Stayalive does such a good job in keeping her on the move.

Edited by Leander
Update
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, HAB said:

480875530_Wellingtonwired.jpg.57d39ee229d673c08829b70cd171b0b0.jpg

Just the electric locks to fit and wire, then we can play trains...  Luckily there are only 10 of them on this frame, but 30-odd at Junction!

Best Wishes,

That frame really is a work of art, very impressive!!

If I may be so bold to ask, how do you intend to make the electric locks? When I eventually build my layout I intend to signal it from a frame, but cheat by locking it electrically (à la Westinghouse L Style). I trained on mechanically-locked frames many moons ago, but since then all I've touched is relay-interlocking and solid state....... 

On 08/03/2019 at 18:06, TheLaird said:

The 1M10  Bradford - St Pancras starts its journey south from Leeds City. This train is more about parcels than passengers, even with its class 1 description. It left Bradford with 3 x BGs attached and the Black Five has added another from Leeds. Three more BGs will be attached at Sheffield and another three at Derby, although one will be detached there for Bristol. At Leicester four BGs will be detached and forwarded to Marylebone in the early hours. 

347458753_45110LCWSD1M10bcrop.jpg.33024de36313479983c40588d3a33918.jpg

The loco is a Hornby Black 5, converted to EM gauge and fitted with Gibson wheels. It's been highly detailed and modified by Tim Easter and is now fitted with a Locoman Superior Steam Loco Sounds sound chip, Stayalive and Sugarcube speaker, by Barry Oliver of Active Weathering. We were pleased to welcome Tim to today's running session and very much hope he enjoyed his visit.

An excellent day was had as we operated the timetable from about 10.00pm to 5.00am (layout time). Very few DMUs are running at that time of night as it's mostly parcels and sleeping car trains out and about. And no... we didn't turn out the light in case anyone was wondering!

Edited by Leander
Corrections and additional information.
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Leander said:

....... An excellent day was had as we operated the timetable from about 10.00pm to 5.00am (layout time). Very few DMUs are running at that time of night as it's mostly parcels and sleeping car trains out and about. And no... we didn't turn out the light in case anyone was wondering!

Didn't have to for me, I was working in the dark most of the time anyway...... :mosking:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1