Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

After reading about Wizard models in your topic I went online and went through the site wow why had I not looked here before.My order will be coming soon and I will have a great deal of model making to do which will keep me from going crazy.Thanks for highlighting this excellent company.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, TheLaird said:

The class4 tank engines are used mainly for working trains between Leeds and Bradford.

A Manningham engine? Back in the good old days Manningham was something of a concentration depot for Johnson 0-4-4Ts, working passenger services not only to Leeds - including the Bristol and London expresses - but also over to Otley and Ilkley etc - possibly as far as Harrogate.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

A Manningham engine? Back in the good old days Manningham was something of a concentration depot for Johnson 0-4-4Ts, working passenger services not only to Leeds - including the Bristol and London expresses - but also over to Otley and Ilkley etc - possibly as far as Harrogate.

swept away by the  2-6-4T  from Fowler, Stanier and Fairburn.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

And even excursions to Morecambe using the 5 coach clerestory suburban sets.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And even excursions to Morecambe using the 5 coach clerestory suburban sets.

Jamie

Indeed, how could I have failed to mention those magnificent close-coupled clerestory carriages!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to go a little off topic but Compound2632 mentioned the Clerestory sets and I thought I'd explain briefly. The Leeds suburban services to Bradford, Ilkley and Skipton were unique. This was because the well heeled commuters of Ben Rhydding had the best suburban coaches on the Midland system.  Everyone else in London, Birmngham and Sheffield had to make do with arc roof stock. The Leeds/Bradford commuters had clerstory coaches in 5 car close coupled sets. These were made up of, 2 brake 3rd's, 2 first's and an all third. Each type of coach came from a different builder and each had a different length underframe. I think they were between 41 and 45'. They were of course well upholstered.    There was a small carriage shed at the end of the yard at Leeds Wellington where they were maintained.

By the way that signal gantry looks superb.

Jamie

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Sorry to go a little off topic but Compound2632 mentioned the Clerestory sets and I thought I'd explain briefly. The Leeds suburban services to Bradford, Ilkley and Skipton were unique. This was because the well heeled commuters of Ben Rhydding had the best suburban coaches on the Midland system.  Everyone else in London, Birmngham and Sheffield had to make do with arc roof stock. The Leeds/Bradford commuters had clerstory coaches in 5 car close coupled sets. These were made up of, 2 brake 3rd's, 2 first's and an all third. Each type of coach came from a different builder and each had a different length underframe. I think they were between 41 and 45'. They were of course well upholstered.    There was a small carriage shed at the end of the yard at Leeds Wellington where they were maintained.

Just to amplify on that, purely because Midland carriages are a hobby-horse of mine, the good folk of the West Riding were lucky. They had had close-coupled sets of 6-wheelers built in 1882-3, along with the Birmingham, Manchester, and Sheffield areas but were first in the queue for renewal just in 1899, so got carriages in Clayton's square light clerestory style (see the Ratio kits) introduced with the Bristol-Bradford sets of 1896. Because of the volume of work already being undertaken at Derby, they were built by the trade. The sets were close coupled and the carriages designed around the standard (and generous) compartment dimensions of 6'6" for thirds and 7'9" for firsts. The 5-compartment brake thirds were built to the standard 48 ft length (by Lancaster, Gloucester, and Birmingham); the 7-compartment thirds came out at 46 ft 7½ in (built by Lancaster and Metropolitan); and the composites, with 4 firsts and 2 thirds, 45 ft (built by Brown, Marshalls and Lancaster). So that's five builders, with Lancaster alone building examples of more than one type. The sets were originally BT/T/C/C/T/BT but it seems to have been found pretty quickly that this gave too many third class seats. One third was taken out of each of the 25 sets and I believe given standard buffers etc. for use as loose vehicles.

Manchester was next up for renewal in 1902, followed by Birmingham in 1908-9. The new carriage & wagon superintendent, David Bain, baulked at the extravagance of the West Riding sets and built arc-roofed carriages with panelling based on the style he had been using on the North Eastern. He also cut the compartment dimensions down to more modest dimensions, determined by fitting eight third class or seven first class compartments into the standard 48 ft length. The Ratio Midland suburban kits represent these carriages.

Apologies for that - thoroughly off-topic. But I do have a pang of regret that @TheLaird didn't choose to set his layout 60 years earlier!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

15 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Apologies for that - thoroughly off-topic. But I do have a pang of regret that @TheLaird didn't choose to set his layout 60 years earlier!

No need to apologise, it's nice when anyone can be bothered to comment and even better if it's remotely connected to the old Midland in the West Riding!! I must admit that I do have an affection for those Midland Clerestory coaches so one day who knows....

In between times, I have a lot of bare boards to cover!!

Regards John E.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I cannot comment on the Midland in the West Riding but I do like you layout a lot as well as Bradfield Gloucester road. Even your layout being bare boards looks great. Another Video please..............

Keith

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Like most people at the moment, confined to home, Sat and read this from start to finish yesterday. Wow, what a brilliant piece of modelling. Excellent skillsets. Wishing all the very best and keep up the excellent modelling.

Regards Jeff

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Another Video please..............

Keith

That may be a while now Keith. The current plan is to take advantage of the shutdown and clear all of the stock to the storage yards and crack on with a bit of scenic work for a change, the soldering iron deserves a rest!! I have taken a few more pics though that I will post over the coming days along with some suitable drivel to try and create some interest for those in isolation.

Regards John E.

• Like 10

On 06/04/2020 at 20:35, leopardml2341 said:

Is that an optical illusion John?

Or have the North carriage sidings been affected by mining subsidence?

Not an illusion Andy but somewhat magnified due to the optical effects of the camera. In fact in a previous similar shot the mainlines looked much the same and I have managed to remedy that to some extent. Hopefully as the scenic work gets underway I will be able to add some support along that edge.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1