Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Premium

I think part of the art deco north concourse was used for car parking as well.  The entrance opposite the Majestic cinema never closed but then you had to go up a sort of footpath through the concourse with metal crowd barriers between pedestrians and the car park bit. It was a bit intimidating at night to some and it's use seemed to be tolerated rather than encouraged. I did catch trains from that part of the station in the late 50's early 60's when going to and from Giggleswick where we lived. Of course the most interesting part of that are won't be on the model, namely the Tatler cinema club in the basement of the hotel, not that I ever went in there apart from once whilst policing a royal visit but that's another story altogether. 

Jamie

• Like 2

John.

Coming along very nicely. The addition of the buildings and canopies will make a tremendous difference to the look and feel of the station area. They'll also make judging the precise stopping point over the uncoupling magnets rather interesting.

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

the Tatler cinema club

I think that's the same place that was the News Cinema and Cleo's at different times? Entrance on the corner where the North Concourse opened on to City Square?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I think that's the same place that was the News Cinema and Cleo's at different times? Entrance on the corner where the North Concourse opened on to City Square?

Yes that's right. I did pnce go into it when it was a News Cinema. It was The Tatler by 75 and I believe then became a nightclub of sorts.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TheLaird said:

This pic shows the entrance from Aire St I believe, about where the parcels dock would have been.

313628756_LCWPCDinsideroofdetails.jpg.731144d37523a08098f7c70656462b91.jpg

I remember  the gloomy ambiance well.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheLaird said:

This pic shows the entrance from Aire St I believe, about where the parcels dock would have been.

313628756_LCWPCDinsideroofdetails.jpg.731144d37523a08098f7c70656462b91.jpg

When I worked at Barnbow if I had a meeting with the MoD in London I was given and "Executive First" Rail ticket. It had the train tickets, reservations breakfast and tea tickets and... a car park ticket for the car park shown. Turning left at the "roundabout" was interesting as you could never see what was  coming the otherway. You can see why the roof leaked!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Those look good. Had they finished spitting iff the Bradford portions at a iIRC Skipton by then. Also I seem to remember a morning train from Morecambe known as the Resy or Residential that in Midland days had a Club car. I think some version of it was still running when we moved to Giggleswick in 59.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ian_H said:

Hi John

Leeds is looking good! May I ask what do you mean "and some have strengtheners attached", I'm work from a low knowlege base so would appreciate any information.

Thanks

Ian

Strengtheners. Extra coaches added to a train on busy days/times. At quieter times, the train would be formed from a fixed set of coaches.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Those look good. Had they finished spitting iff the Bradford portions at a iIRC Skipton by then. Also I seem to remember a morning train from Morecambe known as the Resy or Residential that in Midland days had a Club car. I think some version of it was still running when we moved to Giggleswick in 59.

Yes, Jamie you are quite correct. The Morecambe Residential was a specific train aimed at the businessmen of Leeds and Bradford. It is slightly different to the normal services in its formation and working. From around 1900ish, the Midland added club cars to each portion, but they disappeared pre-war. The document I have from 58 (not 59 as previously stated) gives the formation as follows, BSK-SK-SK-BFK Leeds portion and BSK-CK-CK-BSK Bradford portion. The morning train left Morecambe with both portions and split at Skipton. In 62, the Leeds portion arrived P6 at 0932. The ECS was shunted to the north sidings and coupled to an ordinary set that had arrived from Morecambe at 0907 P5. The ordinary 3 set included an SK strengthener, making an 8 coach rake that remained in the siding all day, forming a return working of the “residential” to Morecambe at 1655. However, this train was split at Skipton, the “residential” portion being attached to the Bradford portion and working forward limited stop. The remaining four coach rake departed shortly afterwards forming a stopping service to Morecambe.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember  it coming through Giggleswick non stop. I'm glad my memory isn't faulty. One day I will get my club car finished for running the ressy on Green Ayre. 

Jamie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I hadn't appreciated before that last photo just how many switch diamonds there are there. The switched crossing single slip in the middle is making me go cross-eyed!

They are all un prototypical but the only way to get reliable running because of the shallow angle created by the curvature!

Edited by TheLaird
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, John76 said:

How did you make the upright supports?

John

The beams were made out of plasticard, 20thou for the web and 10thou for the flanges. The webs were cut on a Silhouette Portrait cutter. It doesn't cut through 20thou but scores enough for them to be broken out. The flanges are 3mm strips solvent welded to the webs. It may not be obvious from the pics, but all the beams are slightly different sizes due to the narrowing nature of the canopy. As the beams get shorter they also get lower because they slope at an angle, so to compensate they have to become progressively taller. 

Regards John E.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, TheLaird said:

The third and final version of the station concourse building.

2022027683_Concourse2a.jpg.df12b0c1eb57f16dca226e7e78698fc0.jpg

A close up at the end of platforms 4 & 5

1627560754_P5Railings.jpg.5608d3dcc7fab71dc05277ad151a11a5.jpg

Still plenty of work to do yet but a bit more progress and it is starting to look like a station.

Lovely work John, what are your plans for the platform surfaces?

Kind regards

Andrew

On 05/05/2020 at 11:38, jamie92208 said:

Yes that's right. I did pnce go into it when it was a News Cinema. It was The Tatler by 75 and I believe then became a nightclub of sorts.

Jamie

It became Planet Earth at one bit and had a revolving dance floor which made life interesting after a few pints this was late 90s early noughties . Majestyx was too expensive frequented by footballers for a mere mortals Yorkshire man 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1