Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2020 at 19:48, simontaylor484 said:

It became Planet Earth at one bit and had a revolving dance floor which made life interesting after a few pints this was late 90s early noughties . Majestyx was too expensive frequented by footballers for a mere mortals Yorkshire man 

I’ve been meaning to comment on here for a while to say how much I admire the work so far, and having spent a happy couple of hours rewatching Bradfield on youtube I was delighted to find some Leeds Midland videos. When I dropped in to comment, I wasn’t expecting to be reminded of my days dancing on the podium in Planet Earth on 70’s nights, or indeed to ever mention it on this forum! Still, it opens up an interesting debate as to exactly which part of my youth was misspent. 

All that aside, I’m really impressed by progress. I find this such an inspirational layout, although unlike Bradfield it seems to have slipped out of my mental category of ‘I could achieve something like that’. 

The signalling is particularly impressive, and speaking as a career signal engineer, I can’t help wondering if it might actually work better than the real thing! Mechanical locking fitters are always hard to find, so if ever you need a job...

I can only dream about eating an agreeable (alcoholic) lunch behind a peak pulling 10 or more coaches, but fortunately, I can look forward to the video. 

Luckily for you on the other hand, the Planet Earth videos are very well hidden... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pirouets said:

Is this becoming portable as well then and going to Exhibitions? Looking forward to it at Warley 20xx..

We did take LCN to expoEM North (as it was then) in 2014 but TheLaird decided that it was going to be tricky taking it on the road with an 'ageing' and geographically diverse operating crew so decided to enlarge the shed, rebuild and extend the layout, and make the layout entirely home based.

I think this part of the layout's development is covered earlier in the topic.

• Like 2

Hello John

That is VERY impressive and I'd have thought way beyond the call of duty on a layout of this size. I see that you are using one of your favourite mediums for the paving , laser cut MDF, one or two mill thick? And the thought of cutting them all for each location rather boggles my mind , but you really have produced a beautiful result. To avoid the back breaking part have you considered making the platforms removable (at least at a construction stage) so that you can sit in comfort at the kitchen table, glass of wine in one hand scalpel in tother ? 

As to signals I fear not. I was making pretty good progress at the beginning of the lock down as i was working not much more than half days. But we are gradually returning to something like normal now at work and this has eaten into my modelling time. On top of that I've decided that I cant put off  constructing the the trackwork that passes under the station (out of sight) that leads to the fiddle yard and this is complicated by gradients , clearances etc etc, so signalling has had to take a back seat for the moment. As soon as I make even a little progress there I'll let you know.

Thoroughly enjoying watching your progress

Kind regards

Andrew

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Andrew Duncan said:

Hello John

That is VERY impressive and I'd have thought way beyond the call of duty on a layout of this size. I see that you are using one of your favourite mediums for the paving , laser cut MDF, one or two mill thick? And the thought of cutting them all for each location rather boggles my mind , but you really have produced a beautiful result. To avoid the back breaking part have you considered making the platforms removable (at least at a construction stage) so that you can sit in comfort at the kitchen table, glass of wine in one hand scalpel in tother ? 

As to signals I fear not. I was making pretty good progress at the beginning of the lock down as i was working not much more than half days. But we are gradually returning to something like normal now at work and this has eaten into my modelling time. On top of that I've decided that I cant put off  constructing the the trackwork that passes under the station (out of sight) that leads to the fiddle yard and this is complicated by gradients , clearances etc etc, so signalling has had to take a back seat for the moment. As soon as I make even a little progress there I'll let you know.

Thoroughly enjoying watching your progress

Kind regards

Andrew

Not MDF Andrew but cut from Weetabix packets! 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, 61656 said:

The signalling is particularly impressive, and speaking as a career signal engineer, I can’t help wondering if it might actually work better than the real thing! Mechanical locking fitters are always hard to find, so if ever you need a job...

I can't claim any of the credit for the mechanical interlocking Andy that's all down to HAB of this parish. As for the Planet Earth Videos....... the mind boggles!!

• Like 2

So having gone as far as I can for the time being on the concourse building and completed the platform surface on P5&6, it is time to consider the canopies. The pic below shows the style installed by the Midland around the turn of the century.

608601522_CanopyP56.jpg.9ad3e1cad311fc09b3a9acd3a561f402.jpg

Fortunately, I managed to get some detail shots whilst it was still in use on P1 of today's Leeds Stn.

189897898_CanopyP56contemporaryview.jpg.1d62118056add9842cd76df21a1e4e36.jpg

Despite it being listed at one stage, I believe it has now been removed as part of the Platform Zero installation.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, sir douglas said:

im going to have to have a look at them next time im in the station,, didnt know they were there as ive never beeon over to platform 1...  or have they now been removed because of the new platform?

I believe they have gone but you may be able to tell me otherwise!

Regards John E.

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2020 at 18:33, TheLaird said:

Despite it being listed at one stage, I believe it has now been removed as part of the Platform Zero installation.

This presentation certainly shows it being taken away, which is a pity:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/north-and-east/leeds-station-improvements/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jig a Jig No2. This is the jig for turning 2.5mm square rod into Octagonal rod for the platform columns.

300691001_ColumnJig.jpg.ef3449e1f8feaad3c1655ba506d99ce5.jpg

The rod is drawn through whilst the knife pares away the square corners. The spacer keeps the knife at 45deg and prevents it going too deep. 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2020 at 09:58, TheLaird said:

Guess who has been watching Andy Y's video on photography!

157371898_Concourse7EditFramed.jpg.79745937a9d11a6659465ee5370013f2.jpg

I thought, why are you referencing Andy's Photoshop tutorial, I genuinely thought it was a completely prototype picture until I looked back at the previous page of the thread. Absolutely fantastic work on that building - I have been using Photoshop professionally from when it didn't have a version number and I couldn't 'see the join', I salute you sir, excellent work. Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2020 at 08:53, TheLaird said:

Not MDF Andrew but cut from Weetabix packets! 

I can foresee major problems ahead.

After an extended exposure to daylight the tops of the canopies will resemble the tops of Arthur Scargills and Donald Trump's heads!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I can foresee major problems ahead.

After an extended exposure to daylight the tops of the canopies will resemble the tops of Arthur Scargills and Donald Trump's heads!

Mike.

I've never seen a canopy with a comb over, or perhaps we will see the join where the syrup starts.

Jamie

• Funny 3

That reminds me of the time i had aconversation with the said mr scargill in the ticket office at Doncaster Station. This was mid 90s. As a child during the strike i had only ever seen him ranting. 

Had a couple of minutes joking about the queue .

Edited by simontaylor484
Missed off text