Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

9 hours ago, TheLaird said:

And so to the canopy glazing!  Must admit that this has been a bit of a headache. As Geoff Taylor reminded me, anything to do with glazing needs painting first before the glass is fitted. So my first thoughts were to construct a frame of glazing bars to which the clear sheet could be added later, but it would have to be too thick as can be seen in the first pic. I then tried cutting the glazing from 20th Perspex intending to fit the bars over it but again this was unsatisfactory.

551241039_GlazingCrop.jpg.1c98fc6e33c50c8a9cf1bce21a58435a.jpg

I have now decided to use the Portrait cutter to produce a self adhesive vinyl overlay for the bars stuck to slaters 10th clear sheet. The vinyl is Dark Grey matt so no painting required. The clear sheet is cut after the vinyl is stuck on. I think it works Ok!

1952800597_Glazingv2Crop.jpg.8ae62fd0f7905667493b36a97a2518a3.jpg

Looking forward to a closer look..... had pondered something similar for signal box windows.

Edited by Steve Taylor
auto spell strikes again
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 30/07/2020 at 23:39, FoxUnpopuli said:

That method should take some weathering grime pretty well too.  Moss!

Mainly soot, pigeon droppings and other Leeds pollutants..a small amount of moss included. 

Baz 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Soapy Joes and the power station were very close to Leeds Midland.. Tetleys was further away and old fashioned Tetleys Dark Mild was an excellent pint..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Soapy Joes and the power station were very close to Leeds Midland.. Tetleys was further away and old fashioned Tetleys Dark Mild was an excellent pint..

Baz

Do you mean the Wellington Road PS Barry.  That was right next to Wellington Station, but as far as I know, was hardly used in 1960.

The line did bisect the newer (1928) PS at Kirkstall, a bit further out.  The two parts of this PS were joined by a rickety footbridge over the railway, which was four tracks then. The southern part of the PS was the coal wharf where coal came by barge on the Leeds Liverpool canal.

The other, larger part of the site contained the PS proper and the offices (and laboratory where I worked until 1959) and where most of the coal came by rail or road.

The lab staff had to go across to the canal side every day to check the coal being delivered by the barges.  It could be a cold job and was unpopular with the staff.  However, since it crossed the main Midland line out of Leeds, and trains were in view right from Armley Canal Road station in one direction and in the other right out to Kirkstall station.  So, I used to volunteer for the job, but it was soon noticed I took longer than anyone else.  One day the boss followed me and caught me hanging over the bridge waiting for the Bradford part of the “Devonian”. to appear.  As it turned out, he was also interested in the railway and stood with me. He told he started his working life in the railway laboratories at Derby, but preferred the GWR engines.

I was too junior to suggest he washed his mouth out.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, steve45 said:

Hi John,

Are you fitting lights to the canopies?

Steve

No intention of working lights anywhere on the layout but I will dangle some representations from the girders along with signage at some stage.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheLaird said:

No intention of working lights anywhere on the layout but I will dangle some representations from the girders along with signage at some stage.

I have a real Leeds City platform lamp.

Bit big for the layout:jester:

Baz

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2020 at 03:42, Barry O said:

I have a real Leeds City platform lamp.

Bit big for the layout:jester:

Baz

Mine's still wrapped up in the plastic packaging from its intercontinental move nearly 16 years ago.

Edited by St Enodoc
inter- not trans-
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1