Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

On 12/09/2020 at 23:23, St Enodoc said:

Mine's still wrapped up in the plastic packaging from its intercontinental move nearly 16 years ago.

In which case you clearly don't 'need' it :)

Would you like my address? :mosking:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, TheLaird said:

"..........my ops team still keep turning up!!"

Free day tomorrow... how's the supplies of raid? If I turn up in with full nbc kit...... and I can remember the 1960 bellcodes...... have some free weeks coming up if you need a frame tester?

IMG_1846.jpg.3dd878bad77180b83bf1fef2d0a1293d.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2020 at 21:21, TheLaird said:

One of the driving forces behind doing the canopy is the need to hang colour light signals from it. The signals need to be detachable for maintenance so I came up with the scheme in the photos.

Stupid question...

How will you get them out after the glazing is in place?

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Stupid question...

How will you get them out after the glazing is in place?

No such thing as a stupid question! The plan is for the glazed sections above the signals not to be glued but just clip into place so they can be removed, one of the advantages of a non portable layout.

Regards John E

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TheLaird said:

No such thing as a stupid question! The plan is for the glazed sections above the signals not to be glued but just clip into place so they can be removed, one of the advantages of a non portable layout.

Regards John E

Phew!

• Like 1

I must confess that I have been putting off the next stage in the canopy construction as it proves to be yet another tedious, repetitive and boring job. As mentioned earlier each glazed section requires at least two and some three trusses. I have bitten the bullet and produced enough for this job and hopefully for those on platform 3&4. 

Trusses.jpg.1509bef42a9c3073043ca11d822aacd0.jpg

Cut on the trusty laser from 1mm perspex, they now need painting and then sticking to the glazed sections. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would have been easier to go with Bradfields open roof ........ but then it wouldn't have been Leeds;-)

Excellent modelling, well done and keep on giving us the insight to how you are producing these excellent models.

best regards

Ian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/08/2020 at 09:18, Barry O said:

Mainly soot, pigeon droppings and other Leeds pollutants..a small amount of moss included. 

Baz 

Baz, I've checked all the hobby paint ranges and no one does those colours , not even precision! :-) 

I'll have to resort to my own concoction.

Regards John E.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

So with my courage grasped firmly in both hands, I am now embarking on the weathering down phase. This could be the ruination of six months work!!

Watch this space for pics... or an obituary!

John E. (Being afraid, very afraid!).

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Pale grey with a bit of green stirred in for pigeon droppings. Don't mix it in well you want a swirl effect, think about where a bird would sit and drop the mix on to that area. Don't splat it on at random it is concentrated below where they perch. Then add in a tiny spot of black/brown here and there. 

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2

Coming along very nicely John. You could probably go a bit heavier with the weathering. My recollection of such glazed areas in steam days was that the glass was completely opaque.

Are the other platforms due to have canopies eventually?

Will make judging the position of the uncoupling magnets rather more interesting - unless you have CCTV looking down?

Dave.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1