Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

You could always have one of those vertical fiddle yards that moves up and down in place of one or more roads in the existing one.  Our village baguette macine has a similar system inside.

Jamie

Having seen the lever frame. I'm sure Howard could knock up a similar contraption up with ease!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies if you didn't mean interesting in a slightly sarcastic way

It was both slightly ironic (deadpan) and also a reflection on the fact that NPCS is genuinely interesting to me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Where do you suggest they go then Pete? - Polite answers only :mosking:

As if I'd be anything but polite!

The NPCCSs tend to be 'dumped' in road 2 in the SFY. In my view, more could be stabled in the north and south carriage sidings, especially the latter. photographs show that this was frequently the case in the early 1960s. One of  JE's list of jobs 'to do' is the rosters for the parcels stock. I guess when he's done that we'll have a bit more clarity.

I've got nothing at all against NPCCS vehicles. In fact my favourite period of the 24 hour sequence is when the local passenger services cease and the WTT is dominated by overnight Class 1 workings which conveyed a mix of passenger and parcels stock, and the class 3 parcels workings. There are photos taken of several of the daytime class 3s, notably the mid-afternoon 'Heysham parcels'. Photos of the overnight workings are rare for obvious reasons. We'd like to illustrate these here but of course it's tricky taking photos in the dark!;)

My favourite working that we've come across during research was a Blackpool North - Leeds City South train that was routed via Manchester Exchange and took the Micklehurst Loop between Stalybridge and Diggle. A van was transferred at Leeds from City South to City North to be added to a Leeds-Derby Class 3 leaving in the early hours.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Having seen the lever frame. I'm sure Howard could knock up a similar contraption up with ease!

Mike.

Funny you should say that ...

Paternosta.jpg.205c3e0446599edbdfb3555ad6c71e1b.jpg

The non-engineers amongst us remain unconvinced of reliability.  Come to think of it, the engineers are not so sure either ...

Best Wishes,

Howard

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Howard. I have something similar in mind for a Nailsworth layout because of the different levels between the platform and goods yard. It may just remain an idea unfortunately as I don't have the room.

Regards Lez.  

1 hour ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

...not quite as smooth a ride as a traditional paternoster lift.

... which is where the design came from - I have a view that when designing anything for a model railway, the best place to start is with the real thing! In fact, the first time I rode on a paternoster was not far from the location of The Laird's layout!

The problem with all devices like this is that they have to be VERY well engineered to work at all - let alone reliably - the tolerances on individual components have to be extremely tight as errors are cumulative - as is wear.  And that problem gets worse as storage space increases.  Bear in mind that the storage roads have to be about 3.3m long to accomodate the longest trains - so no easy answers here!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The Paternoster in the Lecture Block at Leeds were scary as, on occasion they stopped working... noy good if you were stuck in it...

This looks an elegant engineering suggestion but...there must be an easier way of doing it.

Baz

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, HAB said:

Funny you should say that ...

Paternosta.jpg.205c3e0446599edbdfb3555ad6c71e1b.jpg

The non-engineers amongst us remain unconvinced of reliability.  Come to think of it, the engineers are not so sure either ...

Best Wishes,

Howard

There's only one way to find out Howard!

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

This looks an elegant engineering suggestion but...there must be an easier way of doing it.

Baz

Maybe, but nowhere as much fun!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

The Paternoster in the Lecture Block at Leeds were scary as, on occasion they stopped working... noy good if you were stuck in it...

Baz

You mentioned Leeds (well, another bit of leeds), how could the tray conveyer in the canteen at the grammar school be used? 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

You mentioned Leeds (well, another bit of leeds), how could the tray conveyer in the canteen at the grammar school be used? 

well it is on 3 levels and does go round and round and has a way of elevating trays...not sure about using it for trains though...

Baz

PS missed the breakfasts last weekend...pah!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

There was one in the staff only  area of Schofield's department store in Leeds. I got onto it by accident once and thought it brilliant. Would be very appropriate for the layout.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

The Paternoster in the Lecture Block at Leeds were scary

Come on! They were easy to get on and off.

If it jammed you just stepped off the platform.

Surely everyone has been over the top or through the bottom of these things?!

Unless Leeds had special ones unavailable to Birmingham University.

Having done summer research at Leeds Uni I can't say that I was fazed.

Ian T

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Come on! They were easy to get on and off.

If it jammed you just stepped off the platform.

Surely everyone has been over the top or through the bottom of these things?!

Unless Leeds had special ones unavailable to Birmingham University.

Having done summer research at Leeds Uni I can't say that I was fazed.

Ian T

They kept breaking down.. generally due to people trying to jam the mechanisms with books etc.the scary bit was getting out if they stopped...

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

One of the "Freshers' Initiation Rituals" was to go "over the top" in a paternoster. Me, I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and chickened out.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Great shot, I’m enjoying seeing the layout come to life.

This might be a silly question; would the two sleeping cars be shunted onto the main train with the passengers in their bunks?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

would the two sleeping cars be shunted onto the main train with the passengers in their bunks?

Yes!

Still happens today with the Caledonian sleepers.

Paul.

• Like 2

Excellent .... although I'm not too sure what is meant by "SH duties"?

Also, I seem to remember that you are pretty good with a camcorder John, a la 'Bradfield Gloucester Square', it would be nice to see the above movement on video, I'm sure it would give you a welcomed break from ballasting;) Incidenteally, how is the ballasting going, it's a very big area and how are you doing it, perhaps just flooding the area with pva then sprinkle?

best regards

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! Leeds City South trainshed was massive! Only ever experienced Leeds from the 80s onward and mostly from the eastern (York) end.

Was it really white or was that glazing in reality? What was the reason behind the change from a longitudinal trainshed to the apexes at the end - a later addition?

Really brings home the scale of these structures.