Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, TheLaird said:

45562 Alberta has just taken over the Bradford Bristol, 1V36 at 0736. Just needs some headlamps and it is RTS.

There's a 2-6-4T of some sort up against the buffer stops?

Was the Bradford engine used to give a push start?

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Was the Bradford engine used to give a push start?

Not to my knowledge, but it was required to "follow out" as far as the first signal and stop regardless of aspect.

John E.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There's a 2-6-4T of some sort up against the buffer stops?

You must have better eyesight than me!

The loco that worked the train from Bradford (Forster Square) would be. We've got photos of Fowler 2-6-4Ts, Black 5s and Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0s on that job. It was usually the preserve of the Fairburn tanks though.

Edited by Leander
Addition
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Leander said:

You must have better eyesight than me!

The loco that worked the train from Bradford (Forster Square) would be. We've got photos of Fowler 2-6-4Ts, Black 5s and Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0s on that job. It was usually the preserve of the Fairburn tanks though.

No, I was just making an inference. Manningham Fairburns? Successors to the 0-4-4Ts that did the job in Midland days:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-bradford-under-snow-1910-online @ 3:27.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, barrowroad said:

Hi, What sound system have you adopted for your Jubilees?

Robin

Robin, the first six have Digitrains sound and I tried a YouChoos for the last one as a comparison. All on Zimo decoders with large speaker in the tender and a sugar cube below the chimney to move the sound forward a bit. Jury is still out on the comparison!

Regards John E.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheLaird said:

........with large speaker in the tender and a sugar cube below the chimney to move the sound forward a bit. Jury is still out on the comparison!

Regards John E.

Diesels, of course, don't suffer from that problem :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, TheLaird said:

Robin, the first six have Digitrains sound and I tried a YouChoos for the last one as a comparison. All on Zimo decoders with large speaker in the tender and a sugar cube below the chimney to move the sound forward a bit. Jury is still out on the comparison!

Regards John E.

Interesting John. Is the large speaker in the tender the original Bachmann speaker?

Robin.

13 hours ago, barrowroad said:

Interesting John. Is the large speaker in the tender the original Bachmann speaker?

Robin.

No Robin, two have a base reflex which is quite large and only just fits in the tender. The rest have a "Big Boomer" by Rail Exclusive, the people who make the sugar cubes. The latter are smaller, only 7mm deep so fit in without having to cut away the coal space, the pics show how I fit them.

IMG_2120.JPG.a2499a28a007571cb29bc8969975658f.JPGIMG_2119.JPG.41be5a9ca10104520661c72d3999e00e.JPGIMG_2121.JPG.9f12535fab0ec4d271373d096931c7bf.JPGIMG_2118.JPG.7e132b62b614cf56d0811988fdb8c1d9.JPG

Edited by TheLaird
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, TheLaird said:

No Robin, two have a base reflex which is quite large and only just fits in the tender. The rest have a "Big Boomer" by Rail Exclusive, the people who make the sugar cubes. The latter are smaller, only 7mm deep so fit in without having to cut away the coal space, the pics show how I fit them.

IMG_2120.JPG.a2499a28a007571cb29bc8969975658f.JPGIMG_2119.JPG.41be5a9ca10104520661c72d3999e00e.JPGIMG_2121.JPG.9f12535fab0ec4d271373d096931c7bf.JPGIMG_2118.JPG.7e132b62b614cf56d0811988fdb8c1d9.JPG

Most useful. Thank you for those John. Btw - where do you get the connectors from?

7 hours ago, Steve Taylor said:

Btw - where do you get the connectors from?

Steve, the connectors are PCB Headers and sockets. They come in strips of 20 or 32, you just snip off how many you want to make the connector you need. Bought from Rapid Online and cost about £2 a strip.

Regards John E.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/02/2021 at 14:20, TheLaird said:

So having survived the festive season followed by some unexpected DIY stuff, I decided that it was time to get some more steam loco's on the job. 

2099114025_Jubileescomlpete.jpg.a35dbefb4dae20b4c46ad5210c698d09.jpg

A batch conversion job to produce these Holbeck Jubilees. All but one have had wheels pulled, all have been fitted with sound systems and of course weathered. Only one has the correct tender.

Fantastic modelling and following your thread as the quality of your modelling is superb. When you say "had wheels pulled" I assume that you have just pulled the Bachmann wheels out on their existing axles (except one)? Do you secure the wheels in place with a spot of loctite or similar?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wilks said:

Do you secure the wheels in place with a spot of loctite or similar?

I've not had cause to do so to date. They are on splines so no danger of them slipping around the axle but you do have to make sure you leave an equal amount of axle within each wheel or they soon become wobbly!! Truth is that it's a sloppy way of doing things but saves a fair bit of time...and money!!

Regards John E.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, TheLaird said:

Steve, the connectors are PCB Headers and sockets. They come in strips of 20 or 32, you just snip off how many you want to make the connector you need. Bought from Rapid Online and cost about £2 a strip.

Regards John E.

This sort of thing?

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect-40-way-single-row-pcb-socket-2mm-pitch-19-0080

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect-40-way-single-row-pcb-header-plug-2mm-pitch-19-0076

• Like 1

Thanks John. Order being placed. Technically this may be classed as rest day working?

Oh and that's a world of gubbins I know nothing about on that website - utterly bewildering. Just hoping I've not managed to order a small power plant or 250miles of transmission cabling by mistake.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2