Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

Are the conversion to EM by widening the b2b on the Bachmann wheels on their axles? There is obviously clearance behind the slide bars, cross head and crankpin on the leading driver.

Great modelling - looking forward to the film.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wilks said:

Are the conversion to EM by widening the b2b on the Bachmann wheels on their axles? There is obviously clearance behind the slide bars, cross head and crankpin on the leading driver.

Five of the Jubilees have had their wheels pulled, all the remaining locos have had new wheels fitted. The Fairburns do not have sufficient clearance behind the crossheads etc and the Scot has insufficient clearance behind the splashers.

Regards John E.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Will us non members be able to see the Laird production...........

Keith

The Virtual expo will indeed be open to all, EMGS members and non-members alike. The date is Saturday 22nd May when it goes live. Videos will be available to view on the EM Gauge Society YouTube after the day of the event.

Full details for accessing will be on the emgs.org web site and on the thread on here, look under Exhibitions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Leander said:

The Virtual expo will indeed be open to all, EMGS members and non-members alike. The date is Saturday 22nd May when it goes live. Videos will be available to view on the EM Gauge Society YouTube after the day of the event.

Full details for accessing will be on the emgs.org web site and on the thread on here, look under Exhibitions.

Bah, humbug.

It's a local society for local people.

Mike.

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, TheLaird said:

Lights, Camera, Action!!

Work underway on the EMGS Video.IMG_2248.JPG.67437da8d87286cdd431881a31766e51.JPG

Hello John

What a mammoth undertaking, and now its really beginning to look like a station, very exciting! What is going on down at the front of the layout at the lower level, and what are the rectangles of 2mm MDF(?) with a circle of the same and a screw through the centre, for? Sorry if I've missed the reason before.

Incidentally I'm hoping to start building the odd signal for Yeovil in the nearish future and so start to use your natty bases!

Kind regards

Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew Duncan said:

Hello John

What a mammoth undertaking, and now its really beginning to look like a station, very exciting! What is going on down at the front of the layout at the lower level, and what are the rectangles of 2mm MDF(?) with a circle of the same and a screw through the centre, for? Sorry if I've missed the reason before.

Incidentally I'm hoping to start building the odd signal for Yeovil in the nearish future and so start to use your natty bases!

Kind regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew, nice to hear from you and that things are still progressing. The squares and circles are a form of adjustable clip that hold the platform edges in place. The squares have elongated slots in them to allow for adjustment to clear stock. The section you can see is the parcels dock and is awaiting the top surface to be fitted.

Regards John E

• Informative/Useful 2

Just been browsing the British Pathe film library and came across a clip entitled 'The Railway Today 1960' It features a short clip, beginning at 3 mins 10 secs, showing an architect's model of the station's planned reconstruction. May be of interest... 

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-railway-today/query/the+railway+today

Edited by pippindoo
Add link
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, pippindoo said:

Just been browsing the British Pathe film library and came across a clip entitled 'The Railway Today 1960' It features a short clip, beginning at 3 mins 10 secs, showing an architect's model of the station's planned reconstruction. May be of interest... 

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-railway-today/query/the+railway+today

Thanks for posting, interesting stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheLaird said:

Track all stuck down so hopefully makes it a bit clearer what the scheme is. Next job is to connect operating wires and servo's, then just wire it all up... again! I think it looks a bit more like a station throat now. Low relief Leeds West Box to go in the space on the left.

1059550141_LCSRemodel4.jpg.f2e133470e9872776398289648bb0560.jpg

Hello John

Maybe I've not been concentrating enough, but I don't immediately see where the new track you've just installed fits into the plan? Is the new area at a higher level than the surroundings and is it at the back of the layout (admittedly it looks like its an island...jealous of you space!).

And actually I've been meaning to ask you if you'd post a current plan of the whole layout,  so that I can get a real sense of where everything is. And sorry the last question, i noticed youve plumbed for copper paxolin for the point work, was that for speed, boredom with threading tiny bits of plastic onto lengths of steel....? 

Kind regards

Andrew

4 hours ago, TheLaird said:

Track all stuck down so hopefully makes it a bit clearer what the scheme is. Next job is to connect operating wires and servo's, then just wire it all up... again! I think it looks a bit more like a station throat now. Low relief Leeds West Box to go in the space on the left.

1059550141_LCSRemodel4.jpg.f2e133470e9872776398289648bb0560.jpg

Is this layout from actual prototype as it looks a little weird. If you go from the first rh turnout do you actually need that point. After that is a succession of slips that allow the route to ineffect be duplicated. If the first point was removed and replaced with just the curving road then the fist slip on the left could have been just a single slip.

Keith

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Is this layout from actual prototype as it looks a little weird. If you go from the first rh turnout do you actually need that point. After that is a succession of slips that allow the route to ineffect be duplicated. If the first point was removed and replaced with just the curving road then the first slip on the left could have been just a single slip.

Not quite sure which slip you mean: the layout has a lot of similarities with a layout that I knew well. The north bays at Newcastle Central had double slips on the ‘departure’ side allowing access from all ‘platform’ lines to both sidings and the departure line (I’m ignoring the three points internal to the sidings) and single slips on the ‘arrival’ side giving access to each ‘platform’ and still permitting a parallel move out.  I can’t see any duplication, and looks like a typical steam age layout to me.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe you’re seeing a representation of the connections to Leeds New station (LNW/NE) to the south of Midland station. The lines proceeding straight forward along the board led on to Farnley viaduct and ultimately Manchester. Interested to hear how this will be worked (if it is).

• Like 1

On 07/02/2021 at 14:20, TheLaird said:

A batch conversion job to produce these Holbeck Jubilees. All but one have had wheels pulled, all have been fitted with sound systems and of course weathered. Only one has the correct tender.

2099114025_Jubileescomlpete.jpg.a35dbefb4dae20b4c46ad5210c698d09.jpg

Now yer talking! At last, some proper injins.

Tenders are a nightmare, aren't they? Or rather, should I say, great fun if you enjoy kitting, scratching and just generally 'bashing'.

I have a few on my workbench at the moment including a welded Stanier 4,000 gallon (Hornby body on Mainline chassis), Stanier 3,500 gallon (Brassmasters kit) and Fowler flush rivetted (Airfix body on Mainline chassis).

No doubt we'll share a few loco numbers as I'm featuring some Holbeck locos at the northern end of their operational tentacles.

(Apologies for tardy post - just had a catch up on your thread!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

No doubt we'll share a few loco numbers as I'm featuring some Holbeck locos at the northern end of their operational tentacles.

I do have this image in my mind of the Derby octopus...

• Like 3