Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

On 06/03/2021 at 18:42, TheLaird said:

Flushed with the success of the Jubilee's, I decided to continue with the loco conversions and did some of these:-

1768151413_4MTTsSCSa.jpg.64dc094823ee30eaf16f4b909c1441ad.jpg

1337736071_4MTTsSCSb.jpg.d602f44be6da608f57bb52b2ec363d0e.jpg

That's what a shed should look like - a lot of engines of the same class. 

Most of us (myself included) have one each of a large number of loco classes that we like.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Most of us (myself included) have one each of a large number of loco classes that we like.

Of course if you model the GWR they all look the same so you have it easy.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

7 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Is this layout from actual prototype as it looks a little weird. If you go from the first rh turnout do you actually need that point. After that is a succession of slips that allow the route to ineffect be duplicated. If the first point was removed and replaced with just the curving road then the fist slip on the left could have been just a single slip.

Keith

As far as I can see, Down trains require to use that turnout to access the outermost fiddle yard road, in other words the one to the rear of the boards, in order that both Up and Down trains can access and depart from all three roads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Plus, we have about five more, including 42072, 42093 & 42139. I think The Laird has a couple more and he now got access to all the Manningham allocated Fairburn tanks for use on LCN. We also will have a couple of big Fowler limousine cab tanks and a solitary Stanier 2-6-4T.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Herbert Nigel said:

I believe you’re seeing a representation of the connections to Leeds New station (LNW/NE) to the south of Midland station. The lines proceeding straight forward along the board led on to Farnley viaduct and ultimately Manchester. Interested to hear how this will be worked (if it is).

As you're looking at the photo of the new Leeds City West junction, the lines proceeding straight ahead are the DMU, loco and carriage stabling fiddle yard sidings. The double track curving round to the right leads to Leeds City Junction and then on to the 'Viaduct Line' or 'Farnley Viaduct'. On the model this is represented by three roads in the South Fiddle Yard.

When you watch The Laird's excellent video, to which I've been privileged to having had a preview, all should be clearer.  LCN is featured as part of the EMGS 'Virtual expoEM Spring' on May 22nd. See www.emgs.org for more details.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

What can look like a possible duplicated route through the pointwork is sometimes to allow two simultaneous moves.

I can see how that could apply to the model here although I don't know anything at all about what happened at that location, so I could be totally wrong! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

What can look like a possible duplicated route through the pointwork is sometimes to allow two simultaneous moves.

I can see how that could apply to the model here although I don't know anything at all about what happened at that location, so I could be totally wrong! 

You're correct Tony, John E told me that the ability to have simultaneous arrivals and departures lies behind the changes to the LCW station throat. I just feel sorry for the fiddle yard operators at LCW and (especially) the South Fiddle Yard!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Leander said:

You're correct Tony, John E told me that the ability to have simultaneous arrivals and departures lies behind the changes to the LCW station throat. I just feel sorry for the fiddle yard operators at LCW and (especially) the South Fiddle Yard!

That may be a first. Me being right that is. I will make myself a strong cup of tea to celebrate!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, Brassey said:

What is the impact of this on the lever frame?

These changes will not affect the lever frame at LCJ, all of the new pointwork is controlled by Leeds West Box. There is a scheme afoot to replicate the NX panel that was installed there in the 1930's.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/04/2021 at 16:39, Leander said:

I just feel sorry for the fiddle yard operators at LCW and (especially) the South Fiddle Yard!

Nah, it'll be reet as long as tha follers t'berthing plan wot I did.

Runs quickly for cover with fingers crossed :D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheLaird said:

For those that would like to see the video, www.emgs.org 1030 tomorrow.

880036709_SpringShow2021A.jpg.72fe46b1e4de3677a999eba9b28e8187.jpg

1227057422_SpringShow2021B.jpg.675910c0d5d5e4068eda518913255872.jpg

Haing been privileged to have had a preview, I would say that The Laird has surpassed himself; all you want and need to know about LCN. It was filmed prior to the rebuilding of the Leeds City West throat so it's historical already! Put your feet up for an hour and enjoy! It'll also be going up on the EM Gauge Society YouTube channel to be enjoyed after the event takes place.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

For anyone that might have missed it on its first box office release,  "Leeds City - the prequel"........ :)

One thing that always struck me about this layout was that the narrow gauge was far less obvious than on most 00 layouts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hi John,

just to say great set of videos. How long did it take you to film part 5 seeing as at the time you must have been single handed. I would also second Howard’s views above about the appearance of the track work. In video 5 I have to say that unless you knew it was EM some of the close ups could have been 0 gauge. Your layout also illustrates how good rtr stock now is and that EM works. With the advent of Wayne Kinneys new EM kits I am being very drawn to the gauge it just looks that little bit better. I am now looking forward to see further developments in the near future.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2021 at 10:56, TheLaird said:

For those that would like to see the video, www.emgs.org 1030 tomorrow.

880036709_SpringShow2021A.jpg.72fe46b1e4de3677a999eba9b28e8187.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyable and loved the videos.  Well done, well worth doing and I hope it has raised the profile of the layout even further for you.  I enjoy following!

Rich

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/05/2021 at 20:11, HSB said:

One thing that always struck me about this layout was that the narrow gauge was far less obvious than on most 00 layouts.

That’s because it’s EM. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Brassey said:

That’s because it’s EM. 

I think he's referring to Bradfield Gloucester Square. 

One reason the narrow gauge wasn't so obvious there is that it is generally seen side on from track level, or at no more than 45 degrees, in the videos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

18 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

The videos were terrific, thoroughly enjoyed them. What a superb build. Very impressed by the sound, by far the most realistic I’ve heard.

They're a mixture of ESU with sound files by South West Digital, and Zimo with mainly YouChoos sound.

The DMUs, Peaks and Fairburn tanks are ESU fitted, while the station pilot (Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0), Ivatt 4MT and Black 5s are fitted with Zimo 645s. Stayalives are fitted as standard. Generally, the steam locos have Zimos, but there are exceptions among those that were fitted some time ago.

I cannot recall which type is in the Jubilees that John converted and fitted recently, but it's been mentioned earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2021 at 09:43, Leander said:

They're a mixture of ESU with sound files by South West Digital, and Zimo with mainly YouChoos sound.

The DMUs, Peaks and Fairburn tanks are ESU fitted, while the station pilot (Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0), Ivatt 4MT and Black 5s are fitted with Zimo 645s. Stayalives are fitted as standard. Generally, the steam locos have Zimos, but there are exceptions among those that were fitted some time ago.

I cannot recall which type is in the Jubilees that John converted and fitted recently, but it's been mentioned earlier in the thread.

It is much easier to fit the chip, speaker and stay alives in most kit or scratchbuilt locos than in the RTR "DCC sound ready" Units as most of these have a space in the tender for the speaker. Personally I like to hear the sound come from the engine.  EM frames are ideal for fitting a sugar cube under the chimney, the stay alives can then be in the tender space and (at least on larger locos, the Zimo chip will also fit between the frames... and it works well down there as seen and heard on the Carlisle videos in a very good Virtual Exhibition!

Baz

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4