Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

Here's the plan of the area after Leeds PSB was commissioned on 29 April 1967

post-6662-0-42595500-1352832395_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-12068800-1352832385_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave for this interesting document. It does of course refer to the final "nail in the coffin" for Leeds City North (Wellington) as the alterations referred to signify the change of use of the station to a parcels concentration depot. Simultaneously, it marks the closing of Leeds Central, all services using the new Leeds City.

The area I am modelling is the "old" platforms 1-6 referred to in the document and shown on the diagram as "parcels area". This entailed the complete remodelling and rationalising of all the approach tracks.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave for this interesting document. It does of course refer to the final "nail in the coffin" for Leeds City North (Wellington) as the alterations referred to signify the change of use of the station to a parcels concentration depot. Simultaneously, it marks the closing of Leeds Central, all services using the new Leeds City.

The area I am modelling is the "old" platforms 1-6 referred to in the document and shown on the diagram as "parcels area". This entailed the complete remodelling and rationalising of all the approach tracks.

Hi john,

I've got more for you, I'm afraid my time has been taken up with a muppet this week, so my scanning time was cut to a relatively few minutes.

So you'll be modelling this:

post-238-0-63859000-1353095553_thumb.jpg

Very nice... I like Bradfield when I saw it awhile back, but this is a different league.

C'est magnifique!

Absolutely, plus a bit of river Aire and half of City Junction but definitely not the spiders legs supporting the staff accommodation above platforms 3&4!!

• Like 3

What proposed size are you thinking for the layout? Would assume you'll be compressing some of the prototype layout?

Only recently found your Bradfield posts and must say am massively impressed.

Thanks for the compliment. Size of LCN will be approx 20ft x 9'6ft. The long platform 5&6 will be 10ft long. There will be some compromise but not much, may have to leave a couple of sidings out on the south side.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can i just ask you going to build the viaduct as well that led into the station 4 road i think it was. some of it is still there along with the wagon lift which is a listed building. the low level was massive goods yard.

Also someone i know i am sure has the track plan for the station if you are interested. if you need let me know.

John

Best of luck with this project - a fascinating location and a worthy successor to Bradfield!

Midland Record Number 17 had a good article on Leeds Wellington as it was in 1909 - a bit early for you - but some nice photos all the same.

Regards

Graeme

• Like 1

Can i just ask you going to build the viaduct as well that led into the station 4 road i think it was. some of it is still there along with the wagon lift which is a listed building. the low level was massive goods yard.

Also someone i know i am sure has the track plan for the station if you are interested. if you need let me know.

Hi Tuvak, You seem to be describing Central stn not Wellington. However, if you do have access to plans of Wellington Stn they would indeed be most useful!

Regards John E

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to all.

Just in case you thought that the new project had ground to a halt, here is a copy of the first track plan. The main purpose of this plan is to ensure that I can include all the relevant parts in the space available and to decide on the size of boards so that point-work does not fall on the joints. I have had to leave a couple of sidings out on the south side and a couple more from the north side carriage and wagon works. I have had to leave out a crossover at the junction and a couple of locations should have three-way turnouts but the geometry just didn't work out. Otherwise it is a reasonably accurate track plan as it was up to the alterations that took place in about 1961. Hopefully this will allow us to run all of the trains in the 62/63 WTT. This is what we are working on at present to ensure we have sufficient storage space etc. The Leeds Glasgow and the Glasgow St Pancras sleeper both comprise 11 coaches at Leeds and may need to be shortened to Ten, otherwise all other trains should be as per prototype.

post-10660-0-23717300-1358182482_thumb.pngNorth is down.

Next job is to design the boards and work out the timber requirements and a cutting list!!

Regards John E.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Happy New Year to all.

Just in case you thought that the new project had ground to a halt, here is a copy of the first track plan. The main purpose of this plan is to ensure that I can include all the relevant parts in the space available and to decide on the size of boards so that point-work does not fall on the joints. I have had to leave a couple of sidings out on the south side and a couple more from the north side carriage and wagon works. I have had to leave out a crossover at the junction and a couple of locations should have three-way turnouts but the geometry just didn't work out. Otherwise it is a reasonably accurate track plan as it was up to the alterations that took place in about 1961. Hopefully this will allow us to run all of the trains in the 62/63 WTT. This is what we are working on at present to ensure we have sufficient storage space etc. The Leeds Glasgow and the Glasgow St Pancras sleeper both comprise 11 coaches at Leeds and may need to be shortened to Ten, otherwise all other trains should be as per prototype.

attachicon.gifLCN trackplan 1.pngNorth is down.

Next job is to design the boards and work out the timber requirements and a cutting list!!

Regards John E.

That should keep you quiet for a while John. :)

Happy New Year to all.

attachicon.gifLCN trackplan 1.pngNorth is down.

Regards John E.

What did you use to generate the plan, John ?

• RMweb Premium

One of the Leeds Club members has drawn this station out in N gauge. I will see where he got the info from and see if there is anything new compared to the really good info already identified above.

This is a great station to model and is on my - "one day" list of potential layouts

• Like 1

What did you use to generate the plan, John ?

I used good ol' Templot, or rather the latest version that now includes the facility to output the templates as a Track Diagram as shown here. Did you get around to downloading and wrestling with it over xmas?

John.