Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

image.png.9ee8fd7a2816eec4e2fedb34681bc159.png

A short message from TheLaird, "The much anticipated control box and concentrater now fitted in place and connected up, just one more connection to make. A bit of tidying up to do. All I need now is a couple of boffins to commission and test it!!"

A shortened trial running session was held last week with no apparent problems reported. We look forward to resuming full sessions shortly.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 18/11/2019 at 00:21, Dave Holt said:

No idea what it is or what it does, but looks suitably complicated.

Dave.

Hello Dave,

Well, all it does is provide the control logic for the Electric Locks on the lever frame. All the functionality that we think the Midland and the Ell of a Mess Railways provided (such as Rotary and Controlled Block instruments, interlocking to Leeds West SB, Track Circuit locks) are provided.  But we have added a few extra controls beyond that.  The main reason is that the Midland and LMS employed highly intellegent, well trained, and highly experienced signalmen.  We employ ... average Model Railways Operators and - lets just say - they (that is "we") need all the help possible!!!

Just to mention that we commissioned and tested everything yesterday and we found a total of three faults.  Two of these were fixed on the day and the third was in the lever frame and that has been fixed this evening.  Which is not to say there will not be others!

The end of the Big Blockade must be in sight!

Best Wishes,

Howard

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/11/2019 at 23:34, Leander said:

image.png.9ee8fd7a2816eec4e2fedb34681bc159.png

A short message from TheLaird, "The much anticipated control box and concentrater now fitted in place and connected up, just one more connection to make. A bit of tidying up to do. All I need now is a couple of boffins to commission and test it!!"

A shortened trial running session was held last week with no apparent problems reported. We look forward to resuming full sessions shortly.

Interesting photo. Just wondering does that little lot deals with DCC track power or is it for signalling\turnouts?

Reason for asking is that I see you are using lots of what look like these type of connectors:

rps20200208_112840.jpg.36c9796b4694445adaecca10a3e898b5.jpg

Would they be suitable for DCC power connections between board and panel?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Interesting photo. Just wondering does that little lot deals with DCC track power or is it for signalling\turnouts?

Reason for asking is that I see you are using lots of what look like these type of connectors:

Would they be suitable for DCC power connections between board and panel?

I can't speak for how they are going for Leeds City, but I have had problems in using these for DCC.  They have quite a low current rating and most DCC systems are too powerful for them.

If you scroll down this post a bit, you will see the effect that it had!!

Mark

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Absolutely nothing to do with DCC, nor the train detection, nor anything else to do with the layout itself - it is purely the control logic for the Electric Locks on the lever frame.   There have been earlier posts explaining how the DCC is set-up and wired.   the 25-way connectors illustrated are the means of interfacing the various elements together using 25-way cables (lots of them!).  this enables them to be built tested and mantained on the bench.

Cheers.

• Informative/Useful 1

I have just read through this entire thread and have to congratulate you (and your crew) on a magnificent model.

Can you please advise me on what you use for your wire in tube point operation?

thanks and I look forward to viewing continuing progress

Richard

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I would 'like' this but the darn kettle obscures the proper traction :D

Just ‘watch’ it with your eyes closed: the kettle lost out on sound.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Now for the next 12 weeks a video every couple of days going through the full timetable.......... Can't think of a better way of isolation

Keith

now there's a thought.........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Now for the next 12 weeks a video every couple of days going through the full timetable.......... Can't think of a better way of isolation

Keith

Be careful what you wish for.........

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2