Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheLaird said:

So no obituary you will be pleased to know, just some pics of the weathered canopy.

1875877914_Glazingweathered1.jpg.825aba38e2da7cb9b1559eee3fa1f38f.jpg

599850287_Glazingweathered2.jpg.59e5fd51ac467a09201aa3daf827732e.jpg

Hopefully will soon have some pics with trains in the platform.

I'm going to be very naughty and suggest that as you can't see through them any more there wasn't much point making them transparent in the first place...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 19/10/2020 at 22:22, St Enodoc said:

I'm going to be very naughty and suggest that as you can't see through them any more there wasn't much point making them transparent in the first place...

With tongue firmly planted in cheek as well I suspect St E! However, I did consider early on making them from plasticard and weathering so they were completely blanked out.

John E.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/10/2020 at 20:22, Dave Holt said:

You could probably go a bit heavier with the weathering. My recollection of such glazed areas in steam days was that the glass was completely opaque.

Are the other platforms due to have canopies eventually?

Dave, the other platforms will have canopies in due course but I am working along the rear of the layout first whilst I have the back scene and FY removed.

Agreed on the weathering but it will have to do for now. One of the down sides to building a large layout single handed is that you cannot concentrate too much on single aspects otherwise nothing else gets done, so time to move on to the next task. I did study quite a lot of photos to decide on the level of weathering and it is noticeable that at some stages the canopy must have been cleaned. I suspect that this would coincide with repainting which must have occurred soon after the NE Region took over control and wished to demonstrate the new regime with their colour scheme. It also looks to have been cleaned around 63ish.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, TheLaird said:

And yes I do know it's the wrong formation, it is in fact the TCE stock as the correct formation has not been delivered yet!!

If the 'correct formation' is an additional rake, the South Fiddle Yard will become VERY crowded indeed........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheLaird said:

And yes I do know it's the wrong formation, it is in fact the TCE stock as the correct formation has not been delivered yet!!

Better get my finger out then!:unsure:

I thought you'd be more concerned about the North FY Andy. There's usually at least one spare road in the SFY which will be needed as the Waverley set will virtually 'live' there for most of the day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leander said:

Better get my finger out then!:unsure:

I thought you'd be more concerned about the North FY Andy. There's usually at least one spare road in the SFY which will be needed as the Waverley set will virtually 'live' there for most of the day.

Haven't done the North FY Berthing yet, but whilst I agree that there is some capacity in SFY, that's needed for arrival/shunts so sticking a train in there all day 'will' b*gger it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Haven't done the North FY Berthing yet, but whilst I agree that there is some capacity in SFY, that's needed for arrival/shunts so sticking a train in there all day 'will' b*gger it up.

Storing fewer BGs and other parcels vans in there would help IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You could have one road in the storage yard as a removable cassette, then you could swap little used stock out and back in again as required without handling. That way you can free up a storage road anytime and still maximise the FY usage. 

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

You could have one road in the storage yard as a removable cassette, then you could swap little used stock out and back in again as required without handling. That way you can free up a storage road anytime and still maximise the FY usage. 

Regards Lez. 

And indeed, you can load a cassette, send the stock to the layout, then load it some more, and just keep sending NPCS until the station overflows...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

well if you fill it with Parcels stock, remove a few of the tracks and .. just like how it was when I first saw it in the mid 1970s…

Ah. You mean, interesting?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could always have one of those vertical fiddle yards that moves up and down in place of one or more roads in the existing one.  Our village baguette machine has a similar system inside.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

11 hours ago, Barry O said:

well if you fill it with Parcels stock, remove a few of the tracks and .. just like how it was when I first saw it in the mid 1970s...

Baz

6 hours ago, Regularity said:

Ah. You mean, interesting?

Apologies if you didn't mean interesting in a slightly sarcastic way, but on my visits to Leeds as a trainspotter in the 60'/70's, I always thought what was going on in the parcels area was more interesting than the main station area. A couple of 203HP shunters scuttling about re-arranging things, a loco or two stood at the top end of the sidings waiting to take a parcels train out and a couple of arrivals/departures happening too. 

I blame Leeds for starting my NPCCS fetish!

When this layout is completed Mr Laird, it will so much easier for you to build another one based on Leeds PCS in it's later guise!

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1