Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

Could I ask what ply you used on your legs please?

Ian

Legless no more Andy!!

attachicon.gifLegs.jpg

All legs now complete but still require fitting to the boards, adjustable feet and a couple more corner brackets. A short break now as it is time to play with the big trainset again (and photo a certain diesel!!).

John E.

Edited by Ian Fisher

Hands and knees at the moment but I am considering installing a door at the end where the spray booth is.

Are you sure that's wise at your age ? :jester:

Until you put a new door in, can I have a pound for every time you bang your head, scuff you back, or knees or generally curse ?

I'm gonna be a rich man :imsohappy:

• Like 2

I'm concerned at your phrase "The baseboards are in their final position".

Now I've changed my avatar picture back John as you instructed, I'd at least expect you to move your layout into an exhibition hall at least once!

I'm going back to the picture of me driving D335 if not!

;-)

Cheers.

Sean.

OK Sean but I better get some track on them first!! Great to see the old bird back!

• Like 2

Hi John,

It looks a good quality, was it purchased locally?

You can't beat quality materials can you for peace of mind.

Ian

It is certainly worth paying the extra but like most timber these days it still has a tendency to twist when dried out. I got it from Harlows timber merchants who are local.

Are you sure that's wise at your age ? :jester:

Until you put a new door in, can I have a pound for every time you bang your head, scuff you back, or knees or generally curse ?

I'm gonna be a rich man :imsohappy:

He's a relative youngster. How d'ya think I feel?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Can't believe its nearly a month since I last posted but just to keep everyone up to date, a new door was needed and as if by magic it appears...

post-10660-0-46025100-1368543194_thumb.jpg

Kept me busy for a few days.

Have also been revising the track layout on the fiddle yard approaches and am today transferring said drawings to baseboards so that the inclines can be cut out. This of course has meant that the whole layout had to be taken down completely and part re erected sideways on so that I can get to both sides. Sounds complicated but all will be revealed in due course.

John E.

• Like 9

Been working on the fiddle yard approaches trying to get the inclines right. Some pics showing progress and giving some idea of what I am trying to achieve with the double decks. The gradient to the upper deck works out at about 1 in 36 and the exit from the lower deck is about 1 in 70!

post-10660-0-61603400-1368895993_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-11685200-1368896013_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-74754300-1368896032_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-89508500-1368896052_thumb.jpg

There are of course another two FY boards to go on the end. Some progress at least. John E.

• Like 14

The gradient to the upper deck works out at about 1 in 36 and the exit from the lower deck is about 1 in 70!

Hi John, Good to see the progress with Leeds City ... although my knowledge level of building model railways is very low and I have no desire to teach my grandmother to suck eggs a 1 in 36 gradient seems very steep, I did some tests following remarks by Gordon s of Eastwood Town fame and a fellow modeller Dan6470. Both seem to have tremendous difficulties with gradients, more so with steam traction. Perhaps you have already undertaken some testing and satisfied yourself that 1 in 36 is achievable?

I have provided the link to the tests from Dan below:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28112-helpadvice-with-gradients/&do=findComment&comment=294209

As I said above, I'm not trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but if the gradients aren't right then it can be costly to correct.

Best regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Just before half-term and the onset of Grandad duties, I managed to do some tests on the inclines to the fiddle yards. I laid some temporary 00 track from the station around the curve and up the 1 in 36 to the upper yard. The crucial thing is to be able to haul 7 coaches up this gradient. Much as I hate to admit it, those who predicted difficulties were right. Predictably, the diesels on the whole had no problems at all, except the 350hp shunter that proved very light footed. Of the steam loco’s only the Fairburn tank was man enough for the job. The Hornby black fives were extremely disappointing. The main issue is adhesion, the wheels slipping very easily. When weight was added all locos managed the climb. I then decided to test the diesels with 11 Bachmann Mk1s (the max train length for the layout) up the 1 in 36. The Peaks generally had no problem, romping up the slope. Same story with a Class 25. The surprise was with the Class 40 that struggled with 5 on, I suspect this is due to excessive spring tension on the non powered axles reducing adhesive weight on the drivers.

So, what to do? There appears to be a number of strategies that could be adopted: Reduce or eliminate the gradients; add weight to the locomotives; reduce the weight of the rolling stock; fit powered bogies in some coaches; or a combination. I am currently inclined (excuse the pun) towards eliminating the gradients. This would of course mean redesigning the approach pointwork and some rebuilding of the baseboards. It would also mean losing half of the storage capacity but I do have an idea involving train cassettes nicked from my good friend over at Peterborough North!

To be continued…..

• Like 2

Where's the emoticon for "I don't like what I've just read!" gone?

I'll be very interested to see the issues arising on Monday, John. The Hornby Black 5s are known for being a little light on their feet. In fact on Andy C's 'New Hey', the Black 5 on the double headed train does very little of the haulage compared with the Bachy 'Patriot'. It may be the case that those locos can be rostered for the lighter trains, e.g. the Sheffield and Lancaster/Morecambe locals, leaving the Peaks and Fairburns to handle the heavier workings.

Have you tried the Bachy 'Jubilee' or Hornby 'Brit' yet?

Same wheelbase on most Black 5s as on the Jubilees Sean, but Jubilees had 6 foot 9 inch driving wheels whilst the Black 5s had 6 foot drivers. Going down the Comet chassis route may be another alternative option.

• RMweb Premium

Strange mine seem OK but the Bachy Jubilee isn't as powerful...Hornby Scot more powerful than the Jub as well.

Could be you need to keep an eye out for DJH Black 5s or try some Gorilla (snot) glue as a traction tyre?

Same wheelbase on most Black 5s as on the Jubilees Sean, but Jubilees had 6 foot 9 inch driving wheels whilst the Black 5s had 6 foot drivers. Going down the Comet chassis route may be another alternative option.

So if my maths is correct, a 3mm difference which even by my standards is a lot. Creeping further into my niavety as regards steam locos, perhaps it may be easy to pop new correct size drivers onto the Jubilee chassis? I'm being serious here, just trying to come up with some ideas in case The Laird et al are looking for suggestions. I might be way off the mark, but sometimes, it can be good to look at things from my "over simplified" angle.......

Cheers.

Sean.