Bachmann 56xx coupling problems on 2nd radius curves

Hi,

I have recently purchased a weathered Bachmann 56xx in BR Black. The loco is a good operator, and runs very smoothly. The problem comes when I try to run it forwards with trailing stock around a 2nd radius curve. The rear NEM coupling swings so far out over the railheads that it derails the attached wagon. This seems to be occuring because the coupling is attached to the chassis and not the rear pony wheel and thus does not follow the curve of the line, and since the loco chassis pivot point is over the centre of the drive wheels, the rear of the loco swings very wide on 2nd radius curves.

Has anyone experienced this themselves, and if so, did they find a solution to the problem? Due to the size of my layout, many of the curves are 2nd radius, so at this time my 56xx is consigned to light engine operations, or running in reverse (which is a little better, but still has a tendency to derail trailing wagons).

Any help here would be gratefully received.

Paul.

I would hope a little 'tweaking' would get you there.

How does it do with the hooks unclipped from the loco couplers? That does mean you are relying solely on the hooks on the wagons for the coupling action. If that works reliably, then you could completely eliminate the supplied coupler and instead make a wider coupling bar formed from wire, and mounted in holes drilled in the buffer beam. With a wider coupler bar there should be much less tendency to drag a trailing vehicle off centre on the track.

If you want to retain the coupler in its' original state, it is possible to trim the lumps on the back of the 'swallow tail' that retains the coupler in pocket, and also the 'horns' on the rear of the pocket, so that the flexible mounting will allow the coupler to swing over further in response to the drag from the coupled on wagon. You might also need a bit more weight in the coupled on wagon.

I have two 56XX locos and also 2nd radius curves.

Neither loco has any problem when pulling in either direction.

I have had a good look at the position of the coupling by stopping a train on a 2nd radius curve and whilst the coupling is quite well over to one side, it is not as far as it could go and could go further.

Both locos have the original factory supplied couplers.

Have yours been changed?

Hi,

As with 90211, I have two examples of 56xx locos, both the black weathered BR, & the pristine lined green model & they both manage to pull & push stock around 2nd radius curves easily.

In fact, both of my 56xx locos are ideal for negotiating 2nd radius geometry, as some tender locos do tend to have a few problems with such a tight track radius

I can only imagine that a previous owner has somehow altered the couplings in some way, or at least the rear, tender coupling.

It might be worth trying an alternative coupling, from a tried & trusted loco, which will negotiate 2nd radius curves.

Both of my locos have identical tender end couplings, mounted directly onto the loco chassis, just as yours is.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Rob

Archived