Weathering with ink and weathering powders - O Gauge Ruston 48DS

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

A very good morning, Barry.  It is when you think modelling. :mosking:

Well, first, I came across pannier tank No. 7730 with cement wagon on the Brentford branch (1958) and No. 3620 with two of them (1960) in Branch lines of West London (Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith)

So, I picked up one of these in Carlisle last week - a bit clean, don't you think?

attachicon.gifIMG_0140 crown cement.JPG

Then saw this beauty, the next day at Shildon.

attachicon.gifIMG_0093 preslo cement.JPG

Now I have a question. :O

We have a bottle of Green Scenes "Cement" textured paint.  Will this be suitable as a weathering (cementing) agent?

I was thinking of using dilute white ink or acrylic paint as a colour fading agent, first, instead of black - but the same process you showed me some time back.

Would this be a sufficient key for the "Cement" paint do you think?

I'll try it out on scrap, first, whatever.

Any comments or suggestions most welcome.  Thanks.

Polly

Polly,

just back from a day in Barrrooow looking at builders work in my "other" house.

you can use the textured paint  but I wouldn't do it  - unless you think you are happy to get it right first time.

You can fade/pre colour the sides with white (and grey) inks mixed with water to taste. You can use white ink and apply white weathering powder while the ink is still wet... (like we did for rust on the Toad). This should give you the right sort of effect.

Good idea to try it on a piece of plasticard sprayed with Halfords "bauxite" primer  till you feel happy with it. If it isn't right - wash it off.

The Bachmann Presflo is a nice model and seeing your photo reminds me that some of mine need weathering - might take them to Swindon for the "Steam" show or leave them for Leeds or Warley -

have a go and lets have a photo or two - I will try and find mine and try one too!

• RMweb Premium

I am about to dig out some Presflos to sort out their weathering... In the meantime a Heljan O Gauge 47 for review... first front on..

post-7650-0-18449500-1377604664_thumb.jpg

and now side on

post-7650-0-11390200-1377604715_thumb.jpg

and t'other side on..

post-7650-0-84359000-1377604743_thumb.jpg

and the hardest part to do (why the bright grey roof panels Heljan??)

post-7650-0-07189400-1377604797_thumb.jpg

Luckily i have some nice colour shots of Western Region 47s - but not one of this loco.

Hope they are OK

barry O

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

At STEAM last weekend I had a little bit of a play around with some "cement" weathering powders and white poster paint on a Presflo.. no photographs as yet but an observation that the cement powder is lumpy in comparison to say the black or rust coloured powders.

Brian Daniels explained how he uses real cement on his O gauge wagons but I haven't any to try and I am not sure how this reacts with plastic.

One or two chores to do before I can dig out my wagons and get a photo or two..

• RMweb Premium

finally got enough time away from the builders to get some shots of Presflo weathering shots

First up ingredients:

post-7650-0-01001100-1380015076_thumb.jpg

some white poster paint ( my ink ran out!) a bit of water with a little tiny bit of washing up liquid in it, brushes, make up sponge etc and some weathering powder.

a brand new Bachmann Presflo..

post-7650-0-19853000-1380015096_thumb.jpg

I used a flat brush to put some mixed water/ink/soap on the top of the wagon then used my normal sponge technique to drag it down the sides ( and washed all over ends, chassis etc

post-7650-0-12180500-1380015130_thumb.jpg

Then drag and add powder while wet. Note the cement powders are quite lumpy - I have some finer but whiter powders so will go over with these later..

post-7650-0-65154600-1380015162_thumb.jpg

and hey Presflo...

post-7650-0-84387000-1380015188_thumb.jpg

hope this helps

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Getting there I think - I reckon the 'weathering' (i.e. muck) on the top would be as bad all round with 'caking' where the hatches etc are and a thin coating all over (yet to do?).  The colour is of course a difficult area as I hope the pics below will show - they are all, obviously, of the same place and the large building at right is used for cement storage - it is unloaded in bulk from a ship on the far side but the dust gets everywhere.

To try and get at the best impression of colour the pics below were taken with two different cameras - some being taken in a very dry period in 2012 and one being taken the day after a lot of rain in 2013.  I have left in other items to give an idea of how the cement colour (which is mainly on concrete but some on metalwork) sits in the overall palette and in different states of wetness etc.

Camera A, dry conditions in 2012

post-6859-0-07643100-1380016718_thumb.jpg

Camera A, dry conditions 2012 - taken one week later than the pic above

post-6859-0-48640700-1380016800_thumb.jpg

Camera B, dry conditions in 2012 but better light

post-6859-0-70109100-1380016870_thumb.jpg

Camera A, day after heavy rain 2013

post-6859-0-92085900-1380016757_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Concrete has a variety of textures and colours. The whole wagon has been given a wash of white to give it some "fade".. different weathering powder colours seem to adhere to the wagon in different ways.. more experimentation once painting and decorating done today..

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

and something undertaken earlier..

a Caley 0-4-4T in O gauge by a colleague of mine  J Lundy (one of the long term organiser/helpers at the York (Easter Show)

post-7650-0-01566800-1381515212_thumb.jpg

Getting it to look like the photo I had involved a bit of work on getting the rust stain on the smokebox in the right space was interesting - I used powder dropped onto semi dry ink/water then worked with a cotton wool bud

photo courtesy of N Ripley

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Eric and gripper - thank yo u for the comment. I did this a while ago and it has very little dirt detail on the chassis... need to get this back and finish it again..

• RMweb Premium

Just a reminder - if you want to have a go at weathering I will be at Leeds show this weekend - either bring something to weather or use on of my weathering test pieces...

• RMweb Premium

While at Leeds Show, Mike Edge let me weather one of his Judith Edge 0-6-0 diesels..

He has some really good colour shots of a  variety of these so it was interesting to replciate some of the real life detail..

post-7650-0-82362400-1382968649_thumb.jpg

and a three quarter front view..

post-7650-0-20196300-1382968801_thumb.jpg

notice the dirt along the seams - this does have rust added as well as "coal" dust. This uses powders added to wet ink

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been busy weathering a couple of wagons and a J25 today.

First up two Bachmann private owner wagons - first a Metropolitan coal wagon - 

post-7650-0-10355200-1383753063_thumb.jpg

This has been washed over with ink/water and then powders added

The next wagon has had a wash of white ink/water as its from one of the quarries which eventually housed a lrage underground munitions plant and command centre

post-7650-0-83531400-1383753074_thumb.jpg

and now some techniques used on a J25. This particular loco was loaned to the Derwent Valley Railway. There is a good photograph of this in the new DVR book and is owned by one of the contributors to the book.

First up loco and tender together

post-7650-0-95948200-1383753434_thumb.jpg

and now a close up of the dirt build up on the loco smokebox

post-7650-0-02968500-1383753608_thumb.jpg

- this has had a wash of black ink and water followed by weathering powder (black) then added detail added by adding powder to wet ink where highlights are required.

and a close up of the tender

post-7650-0-79039800-1383753667_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes you get a loco and weather it using a good colour photo - sometimes you only have a black and white photo to use which makes it more difficult - hence

post-7650-0-37957700-1384196687.jpg

an O gauge Caley Jumbo - loco by J Lundy, photo courtesy of N Ripley. While you can see where the dirt and debris is - its difficult colour matching!

However when you get a good colour photo you can add a lot of weathering detail as shown below:

post-7650-0-25829100-1384196834_thumb.jpg

Stanier tenders seem to have been good at collecting crud along their top edges ( a mix of loco steam "muck" and coal dust) and the odd bit of rust and muck along the bottom of the tender tank

post-7650-0-65916100-1384196968_thumb.jpg

Moral - always try and find a good colour photograph - it really helps...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As Mike Edge has started a thread on Cwmafon you can see from some of the photos of wagons how my techniques have changed over the years. Some of the early wagons use paint in some shape or form - moving onto paint and powder and now ink and powder.

So as afar as coal wagons go - here are a pair of 16t BR built minerals. The one on the left is work in progress - it has had its ink andt water wash and some rust added - the one on the right is complete

post-7650-0-84492600-1384364379_thumb.jpg

and some of the new bulil 24T Parksides prepared for the next time Cwamfon goes out - these are replacements for some of the originals in the Cwmafon photos as these have bent and buckled over the years and need a bit of TLC.

post-7650-0-10922500-1384364547_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

On my blog Truffy asked about using the techniques on coaches. I have only one half decent photo of how this is done - a Bachmann Mk FK:

post-7650-0-41298000-1384425446_thumb.jpg

and a close up

post-7650-0-59371700-1384425487.jpg

I use a small (OOO) paintbrush to put the ink into the door "grooves" to add the detail. This vehicle was weathered too heavily so I have washed off the majority of the weathering with some water (and a tiny bit of CIF where appropriate)

It might seem unusual but I have achieved some decent results with boot polish!!!

Just thin it down with turps/white spirit and a brush, paint it on and gently wipe off, it will lie in the recesses and etched detail depending on how thin you make it, it dries matt.

• RMweb Premium

It might seem unusual but I have achieved some decent results with boot polish!!!

Just thin it down with turps/white spirit and a brush, paint it on and gently wipe off, it will lie in the recesses and etched detail depending on how thin you make it, it dries matt.

Can you remove it completely?  

• RMweb Premium

We (Southern42 and myself) found a way of getting the concrete "grey" colour on Presflos - we used white ink as a base and dry brushed it down teh Presflo sides using a brush with a small amount of black weathering powder on it. - Polly (southern 42) has added aphoto of her work on one of my Presflos. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74710-warley-national-2013/page-6

I will find it and photograph it over the weekend.

• Like 1

Can you remove it completely?

Yes, just use turps/white spirit, you can brush it on let it dry then use turps/spirit to remove as much as you want, best to experiment with different techniques, if applied and wiped immediately it will leave streaks effects if left to dry it will harden in etched detail.

• RMweb Premium

Tomp

thanks for that - be aware that turps/spirit can affect the vehicle paint. Its fine on your own models  but if I cause a problem on a loco or coach or wagon using these I have to pay to get it repainted - tends to focus the mind somewhat...

Barry O