Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

6 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Hmm.

I bought the WWS grass (6mm) but it stil came out flat.

If I go close to the board, I can see some bits trying to stand up on end but it doesn't look like anything above.

Maybe I'm tapping it wrong :s

You need to make sure you have a circuit. The grass must be in wet glue that touching the crocodile clip. 

• RMweb Gold

If its battery operated, I would say try a new battery. Could be why it works but only when really close up(i assume you mean almost touching). The 12v mains powered one I built is far more powerful than my 9v battery version and I just clip the crocodile to the track (making sure my DCC loco's are not on the same track first!!). I tend to shake the applicator vigorously around 2-3 inches from the area i am covering.

Edited by ianLMS

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My RTS 'Greenkeeper' machine which puts out a true 35Kv compared to the 12Kv of a 'Greenscene' machine, cost me €125 and is exemplary in it's performance particularly when considering the vast amount of grass required for Balcombe! I have one of the original Noch 'Grasmaster' which I use for small amounts of work with the cone attachment.

http://www.microrama.de/en/rts-greenkeeper-electrostatic-flocking-tool/

Somme good stuff here: https://microrama.eu/blog/magigras-the-revolution-of-your-miniature-landscape/

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/03/2020 at 16:31, Sir TophamHatt said:

Wow though, £80 on an applicator.

Hmm - quite an investment. 

It certainly wasn’t cheap I agree, but definitely worth the investment considering the poor performance I got with the flyswatter! And as John says above if you are doing lots of grassing.... then well worth it! If not, then probably not so much :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

This question has probably been asked before. I'm looking for a static grass applicator that can cope with 10/12mm grass? I'm not looking to spend mega books but I do want one that will work. I built a tea strainer type which coped ok with lengths up to 5mm. 

Any advice welcome.

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, gobbler said:

Im interested in the frozen crayon 'flowers' can anyone recommend what type of grater i need?

I suppose, the finer, the better.

Thanks

Scott

I use a nutmeg grater, don't tell the other half though! ;)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This here is my latest  grass ive been working on,its  mix of Greenscenes and Noch static grasses. 

mixed together

light green

wild green

light yellow

burnt yellow...

ew&s60026 (2).JPG

Edited by saxokid

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 14:02, gobbler said:

Im interested in the frozen crayon 'flowers' can anyone recommend what type of grater i need?

I suppose, the finer, the better.

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott im using cheese grater just cheap on from Asda works treat...

• Thanks 1

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 18:46, sb67 said:

I use a nutmeg grater, don't tell the other half though! ;)

Yer should work treat Steve,just need crayons as fine powder...:good:

flowers2.jpg

• Like 2

Had a go at making some grass tufts.

I picked up a cheap small baking tray and greaseproof paper on my weekly ASDA shopping trip. Static grass, PVA glue and my Noch Grasmaster produced these results.

atmd 3.5.20 002.JPG

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been struggling with my Noch Grasmaster v1 for ages. Every time I used it, the fibres fell flat, regardless of the freshness of the battery, or how the crocodile clip sat in the glue. I was just about to bin it and invest in another when I read on p122 of Scenic Modelling by John de Frayssinet that he lines his grasmaster funnel with aluminium foil touching the base. So as a last ditch attempt, I raided the kitchen.

05DFE6FB-438F-4AEE-B7D2-C854DE053365.jpeg.f767609d7dbab24a8b73c3b745d455ab.jpeg

Its made a massive difference! Fibres were bristling as they hit the glue. The photo below shows the difference. On the right was the non lined attempt, and the aluminium lined attempt on the left. Both use Peco 6mm static grass.

183779F4-81A6-46B4-9189-E5E2ECF38D76.jpeg.ade0647a685ebbf65b52b608637201e2.jpeg

De Frayssinet didn’t indicate if it affects the life of the grasmaster, so use at your own risk, but I’m going to leave the foil in and see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 13:17, Captainalbino said:

I’ve been struggling with my Noch Grasmaster v1 for ages. Every time I used it, the fibres fell flat, regardless of the freshness of the battery, or how the crocodile clip sat in the glue. I was just about to bin it and invest in another when I read on p122 of Scenic Modelling by John de Frayssinet that he lines his grasmaster funnel with aluminium foil touching the base. So as a last ditch attempt, I raided the kitchen.

05DFE6FB-438F-4AEE-B7D2-C854DE053365.jpeg.f767609d7dbab24a8b73c3b745d455ab.jpeg

Its made a massive difference! Fibres were bristling as they hit the glue. The photo below shows the difference. On the right was the non lined attempt, and the aluminium lined attempt on the left. Both use Peco 6mm static grass.

183779F4-81A6-46B4-9189-E5E2ECF38D76.jpeg.ade0647a685ebbf65b52b608637201e2.jpeg

De Frayssinet didn’t indicate if it affects the life of the grasmaster, so use at your own risk, but I’m going to leave the foil in and see how it goes.

When I make my grass clumps on grease proof paper,i use blobs thick pva then old oil funnel over the end of my green scenes static grass machine.

this helps make raised grass clumps...

thumbnail_IMG_0294.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3267.jpg

Edited by saxokid
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

I have a Greenscenes Flockit running of a 12v 2a wall wart and it does an excellent job on 2mm grass however I cannot make it work for anything longer :( 

Are there any suggestions what I am doing wrong, I fill it up, switch it on and shake my wrist back and forward and the grass falls out but doesn't seem to stand up vertically as I had expected it to do. I do note that some applicators use a coarser mesh for longer grass, is this what is needed as I only have the standard mesh which is plastic with  around 1mm square holes.

There is definitely enough static (I think) as the spark is about 1" long when I put the wire into the cup. I am trying it with Peco Scenes 4mm and 6mm grass which when it is 2mm works very well.

Any suggestions?

• RMweb Gold

If you want to lay down 10mm and 12mm grasses you will need a wider gauge mesh like the one on the left, which has a 6mm mesh. These came with my 35kv RTS Greenkeeper machine which does function very well with all lengths. Unfortunately Mr Lloyd (Greenscene) who sells his Flockit machines doesn't list any spares but I reckon that you could ask him. Perhaps he might be able to supply you with a larger mesh to fit your machine.

20200712_124814.jpg.1166d62e32d43e54c7231f6d4a53584f.jpg

Failing that Iain, you could always make your own. Here's a good selection of useful sizes in small sheets. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-WOVEN-WIRE-MESH-filter-grading-sheet/251198345904?hash=item3a7c9692b0:g:AXYAAOSwuTtZ2MPV

Edited by Re6/6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/07/2020 at 18:19, WIMorrison said:

I have a Greenscenes Flockit running of a 12v 2a wall wart and it does an excellent job on 2mm grass however I cannot make it work for anything longer :( 

Are there any suggestions what I am doing wrong, I fill it up, switch it on and shake my wrist back and forward and the grass falls out but doesn't seem to stand up vertically as I had expected it to do. I do note that some applicators use a coarser mesh for longer grass, is this what is needed as I only have the standard mesh which is plastic with  around 1mm square holes.

There is definitely enough static (I think) as the spark is about 1" long when I put the wire into the cup. I am trying it with Peco Scenes 4mm and 6mm grass which when it is 2mm works very well.

Any suggestions?

The Flockit ought to be capable of using 4mm and 6mm fibres successfully. It certainly works well enough at Pendon workshops. How far away from the surface are you holding the device? For longer fibres you will need to be holding the device closer to the area being covered - no more than 2cm. It will struggle with anything longer than 6mm. You're welcome to send me an e-mail.

Mick,

I have spoken to John Lloyd and he reckons it was the glue that is causing the issue. He thinks it is too thick (I have been using PVA from local art shop) and he suggested that I buy some of the 'proper' spray glue. I have therefore ordered some WWS Layering Spray which will hopefully work - if not I will take you up on the offer and I will drop you a mail. I still think that a larger grid might help but John insists that isn't required.

https://www.wwscenics.com/product/layering-sprays/

Let's see what transpires once I get the spray :)

• Like 1