Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

• RMweb Gold

The WWS layering spray is superb but I’d buy the aerosol version next time I buy it as the spray head broke on mine. I don’t think I cleaned it out after using it enough.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The WWS layering spray is superb but I’d buy the aerosol version next time I buy it as the spray head broke on mine. I don’t think I cleaned it out after using it enough.

I like the idea of not using an aerosol, so if you were to clean it out more, how would you do so?  Warm soapy water or something else?

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/07/2020 at 03:06, gwrrob said:

Agree 100% - love the glue, but the clogging of the spray head (even when fastidiously cleaned) is a real let down.

The Peco layering spray is made by WWS and it is the same glue. Martyn from WWS made also the tutorial videos on Peco’s YouTube channel. 

I agree with the pumping bottle head. After a few pumps the head is blocked and you have to clean it completely. Not so with the spray bottle. It is much much better.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Ive now been adding longer lengths of Noch static grass to make more wild flower clumps.

then sprinkle over with crushed powder crayons..

to keep grass clumps tight i use funnel on the end of my static grass machine ..

438DB906-1F2C-4723-A219-D78F9D344FCE.jpeg

D6E05D94-D9ED-4E12-9B04-C3DE5DAB1D66.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, saxokid said:

Ive now been adding longer lengths of Noch static grass to make more wild flower clumps.

then sprinkle over with crushed powder crayons..

to keep grass clumps tight i use funnel on the end of my static grass machine ..

438DB906-1F2C-4723-A219-D78F9D344FCE.jpeg

D6E05D94-D9ED-4E12-9B04-C3DE5DAB1D66.jpeg

Those are very impressive tight, dense and upright tufts.

I've misplaced my original Noch funnel piece so I'll have to make one. I was thinking about adapting a plastic funnel. What did you use?

Here's some work that I've done on Marsh Sidings using the layering technique.

179156164_Marshheadshunt.2ajpg.jpg.cb75ba9c218c43231ac9e8a93ed9aaf5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Those are very impressive tight, dense and upright tufts.

I've misplaced my original Noch funnel piece so I'll have to make one. I was thinking about adapting a plastic funnel. What did you use?

Here's some work that I've done on Marsh Sidings using the layering technique.

179156164_Marshheadshunt.2ajpg.jpg.cb75ba9c218c43231ac9e8a93ed9aaf5.jpg

Hi ive used some small plastic funnels i bought from halfords for this which works treat.

along with grease proof paper and large blobs of woodglue help the static grass form into these clumps..

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

@saxokidcan you give more details on how you create these clumps please? I cannot get grass to stand that upright and that dense - but would very much like to!!

Ive got post thread on here somewere about static grass making and wild flowers from frozen crayons..

• 4 weeks later...

Spent £95 on a static grass applicator thinking I'd give an expensive one a go.

Originally bought a £25 tea strainer one but couldn't get on with it.

Original "tea strainer" attempt:

IMG_20201030_105204.jpg.822efb95914bb70f5b7450ac1aea39d4.jpg

Greenkeeper applicator:

IMG_20201030_105218.jpg.36237fc5d82603449d308ebe36ea0501.jpg

Hard to see but the greenkeeper applicator is clearly much better. Still a lot of clearing up to do on both areas and detailing but wanted to add to this thread that, while expensive doesn't always need to be the way, it was in my case.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Fantastic thread, I have a wws small static grass applicator but I’m struggling to find the right colours.

the wws ones seem to have blues and yellows in their mix.

ive seen Giles’ videos on YouTube but the mininatur range seems to be unavailable now as does the polak range. 

any suggestions? Based on Giles’ guide I would need spring and autumn 4.5mm and 6mm straw

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have previously bought Mininatur products from this supplier at exhibitions.

https://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/scenic-materials-and-accessories/mininatursilflor

Has anybody checked whether they can still supply from what they have in stock? I've not seen them mentioned in this thread.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Finger trouble.
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I have previously bought Mininatur products from this supplier at exhibitions.

https://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/scenic-materials-and-accessories/mininatursilflor

Has anybody checked whether they can still supply from what they have in stock? I've not seen them mentioned in this thread.

I used to buy both Mininatur static grass and grass tufts from them online and all items were delivered promptly.

However, in the last couple of years all the items I wanted have been 'out of stock'. I'm sure there would be no problem in them supplying items that they do have in stock.

Edited by Alcanman

• RMweb Gold

Iain,

My observation was aimed at those good folks who seeme unable to find Polak and Mininatur supplies. Polak still advertise from their website but I have no idea if they would post stuff here at the moment. Their website allows one to peruse in German or English so that implies that they might.

I stocked up on many lines of scenic materials a good few years ago, so have more than enough variety of scatters, flocks and so on to last me way beyond the end of Easton. :)