Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Ian Addison of Kirkcaldy

davefrk

It was with great sadness that Fiona and I received the news of the passing of Ian Addison of Kirkcaldy. His long time friend Arran Aird (of C.RAIL) has asked me to post this message.

Many people would have known or spoken to Ian on the exhibition circuit in Scotland and possibly been on the receiving end of his pearls of wisdom or his 'tongue in cheek' sarcasm - these were some of the things that made Ian the character that he was.

In his active modelling days he was a member of Glenrothes club, then East Neuk (of Fife) club, the EM gauge Society and N gauge Society.

I understand he was also involved on the Lochty Railway in Fife where A4 'Union of South Africa was first based, stories from those days were both worrying and very funny.

I first meet Ian or 'Hoggie' as his friends called him, when operating on club layouts more than twenty five years ago. We became friends due to the similar ideas and beliefs in model railways. I ended up building a number of 'nice locos' for him, his words.

You would often see Ian hanging over the barrier studying the train make-ups, operation of signals, speed of trains (one of his pet hates) then just say 'nice railway'.

In recent years he was finding a whole day at a show a bit tiring and we all had an inkling that he wasn't too well. I saw Ian at the Perth show in June, we had a good blether and he spent quite a while at the show such was the quality. I talked to him last week whilst he was in hospital in Edinburgh and we agreed to meet up when he came out - sadly it wasn't to be.

Fiona, myself, Arran and friends wish to convey condolences to his family and particularly his mother, for whom he was a carer.

'See ya Hoggie'

R.I.P.

David and Fiona Franks

HI All

The funeral will be at 09.30 on 22/11 at Kirkcaldy crematorium.

Regards Arran

Just realised there's no address given.

Kirkcaldy Crematorium

Rosemount Avenue.

Kirkcaldy

KY2 6HQ

Thanks,

Dave Franks

I remember Ian Addison from Lochty and the local club in the 80s, in a recent discovery I found some shots of the early 80s track lift at Lochty and Hoggie appears a few times.

A cracking shot of the group trying to fix a derailment of rotten sleepers was amongst the best of the bunch with Hoggie and Pete deep in thought.

Ian was a talented modeller whose eyes lit up when I produced an O Gauge Class 08 I had built back 25 yrs ago and he offered to hand paint the Haymarket crest on the side, which to this day looks great.

Just learnt of the funeral time now and wished I had been able to get along.

RIP Ian

• 10 months later...

I've just seen this topic and am very saddened to hear the news. Somehow or other it's the first I or my colleagues in Moray Model Railway Group had heard of it. Ian was a great supporter of our exhibition in the early days and and will be sorely missed.

• 1 year later...

Just found this site and indeed, saddened by the news Ian was a friend of mines in the 70's a keen modeller [indeed, I still have the two models he super detailed for me] as well as one of the Lochty team. The name "Hoggy" actually came via "The Mur" at Lochty, as most people that helped out were given nick names, such as "The Wuds" / "The Mur" / "The Bod" etc. Hoggy was in matter of fact short for Hogweed.................

I know Ian had a sister, may you rest in peace Ian.........................

Dave

Archived