Stoke Summit - Wolverhampton MRC

Andy Y

60117 on Up Yorkshire Pullman.jpg

60117 on Up Yorkshire Pullman

Tony Wright's posting in the Thompson A2 topic - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49233-thompson-a2s-Bachmann-rebuilds/page__st__225#entry843846 - seems to have stimulated interest in the layout on which the photographs were taken, Stoke Summit.

Further layout information can be found on the club's website here http://www.wolverhamptonmrc.co.uk/layout/stoke/detail.htm

All the locomotives and most of the stock in the pictures (with the exception of the diesel) were built from kits. Most of the locos are Tony's work, and the stock the work of Tony Geary, Rob Kinsey, Mick Peabody, Norman Turner, Ron Smallshire, Dave Lewis in addition to Tony. As is probably known, Wolverhampton MRC's philosophy was to make the locomotives and stock needed for prototypical operations. The flat-bottom track, for the benefit of Larry Goddard, by the way, was hand-built from C&L and EM Gauge Society components, as was the scenic-side pointwork.

60022 on Down Heart of Midlothian.jpg

60022 on Down Heart of Midlothian

60024 on Up Elizabethan 01.jpg

60024 on Up Elizabethan

60024 on Up Elizabethan 02.jpg

60024 on Up Elizabethan

60026 on Up Tees-Tyne Pullman.jpg

60026 on Up Tees-Tyne Pullman

60030 on Up Tees-Tyne Pullman.jpg

60030 on Up Tees-Tyne Pullman

60048 on Up Anglo Scottish Car Carrier.jpg

60048 on Up Anglo Scottish Car Carrier

60114 on Up fitted-freight.jpg

60114 on Up fitted-freight

60116 on Down fitted freight.jpg

60116 on Down fitted freight

60117 on Up Yorkshire Pullman three quarter rear.jpg

60117 on Up Yorkshire Pullman

9F leaving tunnel.jpg

9F leaving tunnel

60014 passing 61448.jpg

60014 passing 61448

60130 on Down Queen of Scots.jpg

60130 on Down Queen of Scots

60136 on Down Scarborough Flyer.jpg

60136 on Down Scarborough Flyer

60136 on Up West Riding.jpg

60136 on Up West Riding

60138 on Up Talisman.jpg

60138 on Up Talisman

60533 on Down empty stock.jpg

60533 on Down empty stock

60700 on Up express.jpg

60700 on Up express

60821 on Up fish.jpg

60821 on Up fish

60847 on Up Saturday relief.jpg

60847 on Up Saturday relief

60905 on Up express.jpg

60905 on Up express

61208 on Up freight.jpg

61208 on Up freight

90732 on Up freight.jpg

90732 on Up freight

92021 ex-Crosti on Up fitted freight.jpg

92021 ex-Crosti on Up fitted freight

D201 on Down Master Cutler.jpg

D201 on Down Master Cutler

An acknowledged 'classic'. Remember seeing it and 'Biggleswade' together at York show and some friendly 'banter' between the two groups. If you were slick, you could see the 'Elizabethan' run through Biggleswade then hop across to Stoke and see it pass through there! Great fun.

Very happy to consider hooking up to Grantham one day to create a 'mega' layout!!

Stoke Summit offers a good example of how layouts can appear very different when looked at from different view points...

For me when looking stright in to the layout, square on from the front, it doesn't do much for me - basically a narrow green shelf, but move round a little, view from the end and look along the layout and the vista is transformed to a much more open and impressive sight with long trains coming towards you from the distance. (Notice that all of Andy's photos are also from that angle of looking along rather than square on to the layout)

It was that different view of Stoke Summit that was one of the inspirations to Paul W when designing Crumley & Little Wickhill (the Steath Bomber)

Notice that all of Andy's photos

Sorry Paul, I should clarify that all of the photos are Tony's over the years, including some taken on earlier cameras which were some of the best quality available at the time.

The only clear (non-exhibition) shot I have of SS involved a 'foreigner' which shows the layout is still in fine fettle after all these years.

BP2small.jpg

Those photos really bring it home how overgrown today's railway is!

It's something I'm acutely aware of from a photography perspective. For one of the Little Bytham shots in the next MI I needed a complementary backdrop to an image. Standing at the position now there's a mass of sub-20 year tree growth which mask the perspective so I had to fall back to something in my library which had a similar feel to it. Fortunately I happened across an image taken in 1971 which gave an open vista and thankfully use of the image for the purpose has been given by the copyright holder who happens to be an RMweb member with a large arsenal to hand. Its inclusion into the composite has now taken it from a point of concern to one of pleasure so I thank you Mr F!

Archived