Eurostar Intermediate Trailers

So after getting a little annoyed at the lack of intermediate cars for the eurostar ( when you can make a javelin as long or a pendolino longer, it's a bit silly) and despairing at the unavailability of the hurst kit, which considering that you also have the buy donor vehicles makes my bank balance go :/) I've finally decided to do something about it.

Unfortunately my 3d skills are limited so I'm not expecting the best quality and being a student i can't really afford to print lots of test models. I'm also getting dimensions off a hurst conversion using a ruler, seeing as I've so far been unale to access any better blueprints, so probably won't be as accurate as it could be (though I suppose will fit in better, seeing as the Hornby model has its own, rather large, share of inaccuracies).

All that being said, this is what I've got so far (and yh i know, sketchup, but it's all I have) :

h1rWy.png

• Like 1

Good start sga, as you do more you will pick up the techniques to help you make a better model.. If you check out the sticky thread at top of group there are plenty of free 3D CAD apps available which you could check out.

Regards

Tom

I might have to, I'm running into sketchups limitations with things like the roof. it doesnt like trying to model small circles for the rib things along the roof

So, bit of an update. got all of the details in on the sides

Untitled.png

Got body side grills on the side that has it to as close an accuracy as i can get

Untitled1.png

got everything mirrored over to the overside (bodyside grills excluded)

Untitled2.png

now just trying to work out how to do the roof ribs before this piece is done and i can move onto the chassis.

If anyone has any ideas for the ribs would be greatly appreciated

Untitled3.png

• Like 3

• 8 years later...

Mega Necro-ing my own thread

Project went through periods of inactivity before I ended up with access to better references that ended up in a complete rebuild. It's still not finished but is a lot more accurate than it was before. Additionally I have 2 fdm printers and 1 resin printer where I live so prototyping is much easier

Recently had an extended period off work so actually been able to make progress on this

Screenshot 2021-10-16 194859.png

Screenshot 2021-10-16 194943.png

Screenshot 2021-10-16 195020.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2021 at 22:32, hellotojasonisaacs said:

These look amazing! It’s a wonder they’ve never been produced en-masse. Might you sell prints in the future?

I wish they had been, though though given how inaccurate the Hornby model is I'm kinda glad they didn't. With the APT being redone (though some of the issues i've seen on those (capacitors visible in coaches and a visible seam gap along the side) have me wary) there's hope they will retool the eurostar to a better standard (If what I've seen on this forum holds true it will be just when I finish my version).

As to me selling mine: it's something I've thought about but never decided on. If these had been available I know I'd want them but that then begs the question would I give the stl free as i would have loved to have been available, charge for the stl, or put it up on shapeways. If I did sell prints they would also be unpainted as I have neither the time nor skill to do that even on a commision basis.

There's also the fact that these wont quite fit the Hornby model look wise. They are much more accurate (sorry for tooting my own horn) so will look a bit out of place. That's something I'm comfortable with for now but I don't know if others would be (though I suppose as long as they knew what they were getting that would be on them). I am considering long term to redo the R1/9 coaches and the power car to my standard but that's a long way off and the curves on the power car at least are currently beyond my skill. (If I ever get that far the non articulated couplings are being done as nem pockets with a scharfenburg insert and that includes having working nose doors and couplers)

I may also end up with two different versions: will fit Hornby curves and use the current Hornby articulated bogies, or model the articualtion more accurately and have realistic distances between coaches but as a result be restricted to more realistic curve radii.

Long story short: I've not made up my mind on it but... maybe?

6 minutes ago, hellotojasonisaacs said:

More an occasional flurry of head scratching as to how to chop up the Hornby carriages into something more accurate. 

Ah. Tried that in the past. Bought a hurst models kit back when they were still available but i didnt really have the skills to finish them properly and where the resin end is attached to the body it has a tendency to slide apart when moving as the bogie clips are on seperate pieces.

Now you can't get them anyway so diy

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, always seemed surprising that Hornby only ever did the central divisible saloons, and I don’t think Jouef even did those did they?!

Should easily fit on a 9” resin printer - Saturn, Mono X etc. The former is only £430 on Amazon at the moment, and I imagine it’ll be below £400 sometime this month!

I believe they announced when they originally did the eurostar that there would be more coaches and then... there weren't. Though I dont want them doing the others unless they're with a retool of the existing stuff.

The bodyshells for the intermediates are over 9" long so with the right angle 9" z might work with enough x and y. If I ever did the existing Hornby coaches or power cars (way in the future)then i think even that won't be enough

On 25/11/2021 at 00:52, Erixtar1992 said:

This is awesome keep it up.

Ive got a saturn here myself just sadly lacking the CAD skills lol

That's one of the reasons I love sketchup, it's just drawing individual lines. I have zero skill in other cad programs. The only real issue, which may be my lack of skill, is it doesn't really handle complex curves well, so I'm dreading eventually getting round to the front of the power car