Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

'A new kit for an LNER main line loco should shortly be arriving for assessment. Please, watch this space.'

Hi Tony, this was an interesting statement that certainly set the brain working overtime. Any idea for the timescale on this, or do we just have to keep reading the updates here for the time being? 

The kit is not quite ready for sale yet, but I have offered to do the first independent build of it, and have it featured in BRM. 

In response to Mick's thoughts, it's definitely not an upgrade; it's a completely new kit and, as far as I know, it's never been offered before.

When I get it (in the New Year), I'll post the details. 

Many thanks for the interest, though. 

Re Gearboxes 

I only use High Level without any problems. The glued (Loctite) gear versions are all ok until you have to remove them. Quite easy to remove, just use a drift to knock the axle through. I am not sure but I think you can know specify a grub screw fitting as a alternative fixing. Perhaps High Level who are now on here can confirm ? 

Mashima cans for me too. Avoid the 12 series no grunt.

In response to my own question a check of the High Level site reveals a couple of grub screw versions. The full list is on their site click gearbox and then profile for info.

As to the new Loco I now wonder what it could be !!!   :senile:  :paint:  :dancing:  Thanks Tony.

'Bill Bedford does a basic etch for a B3/3 rebuild'

But a B3/3 Looks nothing like a B3, more like a B1.

Interestingly just been on PDK Models website, front page suggests a P1 Mikado loco kit is not to far away. I'd better start building that massive rake of coal wagons for it to pull. There is also an indication that the LSWR/SR G16 4.8.0.T is getting close to release.

That answers one of my wishes on the last post, just want someone to take up the challenge of the C9 now?

SteveT

Just bought myself a copy of your into the blue book, as a Christmas present to myself and i must say it is very good value for £9.99 hopefully there will be more to come?

Many thanks,

I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

There is a most-irritating caption duplication (the missed-out one being of vital importance) and one or two of the images are a bit 'thin'; the latter odd because the trannies selected were all properly-saturated.

There is/are more to come. I've got about 200 images alongside me right now being sorted. Strathwood would like to do a book of my pictures from the mid-'60s to the early-'80s and Irwell a further one. 

• Like 2

Glad there is more to come, I noticed the duplication but only the most picky person would let that detract from an excellent book.

Thanks again, but only by being 'picky' does it mean that errors are (or should be) intercepted. 

In just about everything I've had published - articles/journals/books/etc - I find errors, despite extensive proof-reading by others. Never proof-read your own work solely. I rush to the proofs, and there they are! In my defence, in the case of the caption error in the recent book, it certainly was not in the proofs. It came about, I believe, because subsequently a caption line had to be removed to fit the space - so, 'copy and paste', but the correct, shortened, caption was not re-instated. A shame. 

It's interesting to see how the much-derided blue/grey period is now becoming popular. With the passing of Michael Mensing, yet another steam-age (and diesel) photographer has gone, and with him many contemporaries who'd been around when he took his wonderful pictures. Thus, inevitably, the 'market' for 1950/'60s pictures is diminishing, at least with regard to those who remember it as adults (or in too many recent cases schoolboys!). When my forthcoming books are published, the first pictures in them will date from the late-'60s, when blue was replacing green and maroon. They should, I hope, appeal to the next generation of trainspotters after mine, and even the one after that.

I recall sighting my first blue 'Deltic', though I didn't take its picture. I was on a teacher-training field course near Doncaster in 1968 and our group was walking the just-closed line near Sprotborough, between there and Black Carr Junction when CREPELLO roared by on the main line. The loco was blue, as was the stock, but the wonderfully-tall semaphores and impressive 'box were still there. Without the train, the location was still pure LNER, never mind BR. Later, in the '70s, visits to Retford, Newark and further south revealed all-blue stock but still there were GNR somersaults in the sidings. This is the type of thing which my books will concentrate on. BR corporate blue, but still an age-old infrastructure all around it. A diesel trip up the ECML is envisaged first, 40 and more years ago. If that goes well, it'll be the WR then the LMR. Not enough on the SR I'm afraid - too many EMUs, with only the odd shot of a 'Warship' at Waterloo or Salisbury. A pity!

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well i shall be looking forward to obtaining the forthcoming books errors or not as even though I wasn't born untill 1979 the era your books will cover are for me the most fascinating of era's, even if i do have a soft spot for the GC in the mid to late '50s

In answer to several speculations, if the PDK Website suggests a P1 is not too far away then it's pretty obvious which loco I'll be building for review. I know Crownline did a 'kit' for a P1 some years ago but, as Graeme King has indicated, that needed a spare Hornby A3 body. This is a complete kit with, I think, a resin boiler. I look forward to its arrival.

The model as currently pictured on the PDK homepage includes some visible errors, already mentioned here:

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=3675#p106802

It will be interesting to see whether these are corrected in the kit that is put on the market.

I'd have preferred a kit for a Gresley O1 or a GC four-cylinder. I already have a P1...

Edited by gr.king

The model as currently pictured on the PDK homepage includes some visible errors, already mentioned here:

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=3675#p106802

It will be interesting to see whether these are corrected in the kit that is put on the market.

I'd have preferred a kit for a Gresley O1 or a GC four-cylinder. I already have a P1...

But you could have two!

• Like 1

Regarding the comments on local workings through Little Bytham, a GC Barnum was in use in early BR days at least, and I am sure GE coaching stock may have been seen.  tere was a Barnum at Grantham for many years after 1948, although I think it was in departmental use.

But you could have two!

True enough, although three P1s would begin to look like over indulgence.

Malcolm Crawley, who I take it was in a position to know about these things, fitted an interesting supporting strut mid-way across the rear face of the rear coal plate on his model of the tender. I cheated and copied his example!

Of course, you will be driving the Cartazzi axle too, won't you?

On a technicality, my mind is having trouble with the view of daylight under the boiler of the black P1 on the PDK home page. Has some "illustrative" photo cropping been done? I'd expect to see the just the inner face of the frames and the top of the running plate on the far side of the loco when looking from such an angle.

Edited by gr.king

On a technicality, my mind is having trouble with the view of daylight under the boiler of the black P1 on the PDK home page. Has some "illustrative" photo cropping been done? I'd expect to see the just the inner face of the frames and the top of the running plate on the far side of the loco when looking from such an angle.

Hello Everyone,

Seasons Greetings!

- my first post on Wright Writes - and one of the first on RMweb following a year of lurking. Without expertise, I have to agree: the picture seems anatomically(?) impossible.

Regards,

Hal.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 1

On further thought, that unexpected daylight could, I suppose, arise from a combination of factors. Frames too close together owing to OO gauge, frame tops at true height, and no representation of the sloping plating that closes the gap between the inner edge of the running plate and the tops of the frames on the real loco. The frames might still be just tall enough to hide the wheel tops. I didn't want to see unrealistic daylight between the frame tops and the running plate when I built my loco, so I added a little to the tops of the frames and extended the running plate inwards to meet the frame tops, The angle iron that normally surrounds the sloping inboard section of plating above the coupled wheels and the black finish in this area just about suffice to conceal the cheat that I employed.

Whilst this image doesn't show quite the same view as the PDK one, it is almost comparable.

post-3445-0-12081500-1419683578_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

On further thought, that unexpected daylight could, I suppose, arise from a combination of factors. Frames too close together owing to OO gauge, frame tops at true height, and no representation of the sloping plating that closes the gap between the inner edge of the running plate and the tops of the frames on the real loco. The frames might still be just tall enough to hide the wheel tops. I didn't want to see unrealistic daylight between the frame tops and the running plate when I built my loco, so I added a little to the tops of the frames and extended the running plate inwards to meet the frame tops, The angle iron that normally surrounds the sloping inboard section of plating above the coupled wheels and the black finish in this area just about suffice to conceal the cheat that I employed.

Whilst this image doesn't show quite the same view as the PDK one, it is almost comparable.

attachicon.gifSTA73890t.jpg

Not the most auspicious first post. After further study I agree with the above, particularly the reference to 00 gauge frames.

Memo to self: Keep it buttoned until you have something worth saying. ;)

Hal.

In answer to several speculations, if the PDK Website suggests a P1 is not too far away then it's pretty obvious which loco I'll be building for review. I know Crownline did a 'kit' for a P1 some years ago but, as Graeme King has indicated, that needed a spare Hornby A3 body. This is a complete kit with, I think, a resin boiler. I look forward to its arrival.

DSC_1634.JPG

On other matters, it appears that most (if not all) of Geoff Brewin's carriages have now found new homes. Here's his Comet Thompson BCK, built and painted by Alan Buckenham. I've put it into a Grantham-Peterborough all-stations service, hauled, perhaps inappropriately, by one of Retford's B1s. I built this loco from a Nu-Cast kit many moons ago and fitted a Comet chassis; an original one, designed from the Roche drawing, which has the eccentric rod far too short. It tows a Bachmann tender. Compared with current RTR offerings the whole thing is a bit antiquated I admit, but it does represent personal input in its construction, painting and weathering. It does run well, though, and, as usual, because of its weight, will pull more than the RTR equivalents.

On pondering over the consists of these trains, and cross-referencing them with photographs, down the BR steam years it appears anything that could turn a wheel might be used. The BR books suggest gangwayed stock, but pictures exist of non-gangwayed vehicles and vans of all sorts, four, six or eight-wheeled. In case the notion of a Thompson corridor carriage might be unlikely in such a lowly service, pictures I've examined recently include BR Mk.1s - one in a two-car set at Essendine and several in another set at the same location.

Dsc_1635.jpg

Here's another of Geoff's carriages, another Alan Buckenham build, now in one of my 'Talisman' sets. I've bought this but I doubt if it'll stay exactly as it is. The branding is wrong for a Thompson catering car, with the lettering divided by the BR roundel. I've only seen this arrangement on one Mk.1 catering car. There should be no outside-access available to the Kitchen section either, for obvious reasons; thus no door handles or grab-rails (I believe). It should also run on heavy-duty bogies (see the difference between its and the ex-streamlined twin). Modification and a complete repaint is called for - a pity because it's well-finished. Or, am I being a zealot? In its train, running past at speed, who knows? Who sees? But, having in the recent-past examined professionally-built ER catering carriages which have many errors - clear windows which should be white, too many 'extra' doors and incorrect branding, it does make me wonder how much actual research has taken place. It's down to the client to stipulate in my opinion, but we've been there before.

Dsc_1637.jpg

How much research I've undertaken in the building of this Kirk non-gangwayed Third/Third is a moot point. As part of our on-going horse-trading, I built this for Ian Wilson as a Christmas present. Since it was his property as a kit, then it was just my time. I fitted BSL bogies; also his property. Ironically, it's not really suitable for Little Bytham (unless running as empty stock?) and certainly not appropriate for his might-have-been Edenham branch. Compared with etched alternatives or alongside Hornby's little masterpieces, then it's a bit rough. But, once again, it had to be made. Worth it? That's for others to decide.

DSC_1639.JPG

Carriages for huts? A good deal as far as I'm concerned. Here's one of Ian's latest, made, as usual, from card. I'm sure he'll be the first to admit that they're not in the top professional bracket, but they're 'layout huts', in the same way as my locos and carriages are 'layout stock'. The window sill needs straightening a bit but since it's held in place for now with just double-sided tape, that'll be an easy fix. Door handles have yet to be fitted.

DSC_1647.JPG

In its layout place alongside examples of my layout stock. On Sunday Heljan's representative is visiting, bringing with him two further examples of the pre-production O2. I'll be taking pictures! I'll also give a progress report. I'm sure they'll (eventually) be far superior to this Nu-Cast kit, built by Alan Hammet. There's nothing really wrong with Alan's build, but the out-of-kilter footplate, too-tall chimney and general 'fatness' of the whole thing do obtrude. Not only that, in this guise it's inappropriate for running through LB Station because by the time this O2/2 received an ex-K3 tender, the station had closed and was demolished. The EE Type 4 is a modified Bachmann product, weathered by Rob Davey. The station lamps are ex-Tetley's Mills; another piece of treasured memory of Dave Shakespeare.

DSC_1648.JPG

Another of the new huts, still to be properly bedded-in. It stands alongside the second of the unique telegraph poles. The construction of the latter isn't really wonky - the majority of the rails face the signal box and the lower ones are at right-angles to the track.

Out of possible interest, I built another multi-armed pole for the estimable Mr Duck because he's offered to make the telegraph poles for Peterborough North. In building it, I showed him how, using the jig already described. I believe it's been installed, though that's not the point. If it hasn't been acknowledged already, it should be noted that Dan Pinnock provided me (and thus Phil) with loads of the cast cross-rails free of charge. If it has, then my thanks.

DSC_1654.JPG

The final little building is the yard office/weigh bridge hut at the entrance/exit to the goods yard. Again, this is still to be fully bedded-in, and I think the weigh bridge (which is only held in place by gravity) is too close. The gate is also wrong because it has no post as yet. Today, four detached houses stand on this site, which is better than the 'tip' it had become.

I like this view because it gives an idea of the spread of the place - little station, big site and so on - essential for capturing the open nature of the prototype.

Ian is considering making kits (in the Prototype Models-style) of the LB buildings, all of which are typical GN. Expressions of interest will be happily received, please.

DSC_1658.JPG

Another Ian, Ian Rathbone is pencilled-in to visit in the New Year. He'll be taking these away for painting. No horse-trading here, nor would I expect it because, since digital photography came in, I've had no service to offer him in return (though I've built the odd loco for him as a sub-contractor - now, there's a thought).

DSC_1661.JPG

I've noted on the Grantham thread, mention of a stream. Here's little Bytham's. It only had water in it during periods of heavy rain and it's now completely in a culvert, and thus invisible. Part of the surrounding 'gardening' was done by Glibert Barnatt and Richard Wilson. I just did the bank bits and represented the trickle of water with acrylics and several layers of PVA. I never won any prizes for scenic work! I made the brickwork from Prototype's brick papers and card, measured on site. Again, more 'layout' modelling.

Edited because -heinous crime - I put 'it's' instead of 'its' in one place. A beating in my school days!

Hi Tony,

Hope all is good and Christmas has gone well?

Would certainly be interested if Ian released the various Bytham buildings. I wonder how many of the goods sheds sold under the Prototype Models label?

Would the footbridge be feasible?

Lee

True enough, although three P1s would begin to look like over indulgence.

Malcolm Crawley, who I take it was in a position to know about these things, fitted an interesting supporting strut mid-way across the rear face of the rear coal plate on his model of the tender. I cheated and copied his example!

Of course, you will be driving the Cartazzi axle too, won't you?

Thanks Graeme,

If any post-processing has been done, it's not by me. I took the picture of the Crownline P1 in the good old days; on film, then printed onto photographic paper in a proper darkroom and also on transparency (one just clipped on the appropriate film back to the camera). 

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Hope all is good and Christmas has gone well?

Would certainly be interested if Ian released the various Bytham buildings. I wonder how many of the goods sheds sold under the Prototype Models label?

Would the footbridge be feasible?

Lee

Thanks Lee,

The footbridge is feasible, though at the moment it's still a mock-up. The deck is to be made from Plasticard, the rest from card. 

As for the LB goods shed, hundreds at least I'd imagine. I've built two for service on Fordley Park and for my elder son's one-time layout. The one on my model of LB is the prototype for the Prototype kit. Can't get more exclusive than that!

• Like 1