Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Tony

i am currently working on a mk1 maroon rake to represent one of the three hour Aberdeen expresses (62-66) I have almost completed the rake using a mostly mixture of repainted and revamped kitmaster mk1's and a bachamann 57' full break. The one coach i am looking to do to complete the rake is a scottish region griddle car.

Now i have looked through various web pages and all the suppliers that i can think of and i cannot find anybody who does even the sides for the griddle car.

Would you be able to give me any pointers/suggestions regarding the griddle cars.

gary

Gary,

As David has alluded to, Southern Pride does a ScR Griddle Car as a complete kit. I built the very first one for review - it appeared in the Railway Modeller quite a few years ago now. Anyone remember which one? I seem to have chucked away most of the mags with my articles in now. They had a use once, but I just wonder how relevant 'how to' articles are these days with regard to making locos and rolling stock. That said, a Griddle Car is not available RTR, so if you can find the relevant RM piece it might be of use.   

I've mentioned this before, but with the emergence of Hornby's latest Pullmans, articles like my QoS piece of 20 years ago in BRM have no more relevance now than the contemporaneous RTR offerings in the same mag. Outmoded, inferior in just about every way and irrelevant now.  

Edited to include this....... Having just glanced through some relevant books, it would appear that most of the A4-hauled three-hour Glasgow-Aberdeen expresses consisted of six Mk.1s - typically, page 16 of LNER Pacifics in Colour by Derek Penney - SK, SO, FK, Catering Car (not a Griddle), SK, BSK. Note the brake only at one end. Page 23 shows the same formation. Page 25 appears to show SK, SK, SO, Catering Car (not Griddle), FK, SK... I'm going on the arrangement of ventilators to guess whether the cars are  SKs or SOs, but I could well be wrong. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

Outmoded, inferior in just about every way and irrelevant now.

Definitely not irrelevant as they are a lasting personal achievement, always containing something of the builder. The same will not be true of a purchased, mass produced item when it reaches 20 years of age.

• RMweb Premium

Gary,

As David has alluded to, Southern Pride does a ScR Griddle Car as a complete kit. I built the very first one for review - it appeared in the Railway Modeller quite a few years ago now. Anyone remember which one? I seem to have chucked away most of the mags with my articles in now. They had a use once, but I just wonder how relevant 'how to' articles are these days with regard to making locos and rolling stock. That said, a Griddle Car is not available RTR, so if you can find the relevant RM piece it might be of use.   

I've mentioned this before, but with the emergence of Hornby's latest Pullmans, articles like my QoS piece of 20 years ago in BRM have no more relevance now than the contemporaneous RTR offerings in the same mag. Outmoded, inferior in just about every way and irrelevant now.  

April 1998.

Gary,

Edited to include this....... Having just glanced through some relevant books, it would appear that most of the A4-hauled three-hour Glasgow-Aberdeen expresses consisted of six Mk.1s - typically, page 16 of LNER Pacifics in Colour by Derek Penney - SK, SO, FK, Catering Car (not a Griddle), SK, BSK. Note the brake only at one end. Page 23 shows the same formation. Page 25 appears to show SK, SK, SO, Catering Car (not Griddle), FK, SK... I'm going on the arrangement of ventilators to guess whether the cars are  SKs or SOs, but I could well be wrong. 

tony

thanks for the reply, the main reason i am looking for a griddle car is that, in the dvd titled 'steam in scotland the a4's final years' there is a train shown leaving perth for aberdeen behind 60007 and the train included a griddle car in the formation and i was thinking that it is something differant. i will be at my club on tuesday and will look up the appropriate issue of railway modeller.

incidentally look out for my latest creation which will be on rmweb shortly. i am scratch building a model of an ex north eastern j27 - again something different from my more usual ex north british creations.

gary

• Like 2

Mark that is my kind a model! I have a Dave Bradwell kit underway at the moment as a J26 I hope it comes out just as good as yours. 

I am not sure how you found the class as there is so many variations long smoke box, short smokebox, long fire box, short firebox, different chimneys, domes, safety valves, tenders... (2 coal rails, 3, 4, cut off not cut off, D cutouts, oval cutouts) different tool boxes... Um I find it hard to get photos of the 1930's of the version I like... Mine has settled on a J26 in York as published in the RCTS bible, (short smokebox, Short fire box,  2 coal rail, D cut outs)  I must get some modelling in tonight I missed out over the weekend! 

Mark

Well done on producing a fine model which captures the chunky purposeful look of these rugged engines very well. The North Eastern had some really attractive locos that were very competant at their work. I suppose thay would after all Mr Worsdell learnt his craft on the Great Eastern! We do not see too many NE types around though they were a very large and profitable railway company. It is good to see that those who do model it do so with style!

Martin Long

As I was saying here is the one I am building at the moment and the other I did some 17 years ago.... In PNG. I think i still hold the most unusual place to send a kit with Dave Bradwell! ... In the back ground is my collection of NER based loco's plus a couple of industrials. post-3192-0-53545300-1437988882_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Whilst on the subject of J27s here are two that I scratch-built many years ago (no kit then). These were two of the four 0-6-0s that I started to build concurrently - two J27s, J24 and J25. For some reason the J25 dropped behind and was not completed until a couple of years later. The photo was taken I 1975 so that is 40 years ago and they were not brand new then. Those were the days when the X04 style of motor was the motor to fit although I believe that these had the Dh11 (or was it DH13?). The saw a lot on service on my layout "Teesdale" and on club layouts.

The J24 was converted to 18.83 gauge which involved a new chassis but the others remain in OO. Today they reside in boxes and see very little running.

Incidentally 2347 was one of those that saw service on GER metals so those modelling that area in the 1930s have an excuse to run one.

"Teesdale" features somewhere in the depths of RMWEB.

ArtnurK

post-6751-0-14159000-1438004395_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just a thank you to everyone for the very kind words about my J27. I think that the model has been worth the time taken to construct it, and it seems to do what I was hoping it would on my layout in terms of appearance and running. It should make a good companion to the forthcoming DJM model of the NER Q6. I also have a J21. I will see about posting a photo' of it later - however this model is, as yet, incomplete.

With Regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Here's a photo', as promised earlier, of the J21, which is as yet incomplete. It has been under construction since 2007, if I remember correctly! I do not know for sure if this may be some kind of record, but I will get this model finished -  it runs very smoothly, and pulls as good as the J27. The model is an old Nu-Cast kit. I've tried to improve on some areas, including, again, thinning the cab castings, and replacing some of the tender top detailing, especially the coal rails. The loco's brake-rigging has yet to be made and fitted, along with the boiler front in the cab, amongst other small details. It will be weathered after I've finished the lining work.

post-22631-0-89282100-1438031211_thumb.jpg

With best regards,

Market65.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The brake rigging on most J21 tenders was behind the wheels and apart from the brake shoes was not too conspicuous. The pull rods on these were not compensated. There was an adjuster between the brake-shaft and the first axle. In their later years some did get the external compensated brake rigging but this may have been due to tender swap. If you have a photo of 312 that should solve the problem.

ArthurK

Well it certainly shows that the NER has  quite a following... interesting to note they are all (or will be) in LNER livery. Market65... all of my loco's aren't finished for what ever reason... I have the biggest trouble getting the brakes NOT to work! it drives me batty... hence the Q6 which is hiding off to the left in my photo... the smoke box is just visible is still without brake gear... my J27 is also with out brake gear.... it is something I need to work on. There is a D16 out of shot that still needs to be finished as well... lets not get into things that have not got this far which includes a J21 and 2x J24... which is a sort of scratchbuild/kit bash.... weird combination starting from 1 LRM kit. I suspect I will end up retiring in about 30 years and pull out all these kit builts and finish them all off. One loco in that lot really is finished and it is a small black Hawthorn... The RSH needs some work as it seems to be very front heavy on the springs and needs a guard iron re installed and painted!

Any how I should be doing work!  

• RMweb Gold

Hello. Thank you ArthurK. I think that I have a photo' of 312 in a book, maybe the RCTS 'Green Bible'. That should answer the tender brake rigging question. I am looking to make the loco's brake rigging removable.

With best regards,

Market65.

Just about there................

This is the first production sample of Heljan's forthcoming O2 in the guise of an O2/4 (ex-O2/3). It performed impeccably, hauling over 40 kit-built wagons. Any previous comments have been acted upon, so it should be on sale

Heljan O2 38 O2 4 first prod sample.jpg

Heljan O2 39 O2 4 first prod sample.jpg

Looks very nice Tony

Edited by lee74clarke

Just about there................

This is the first production sample of Heljan's forthcoming O2 in the guise of an O2/4 (ex-O2/3). It performed impeccably, hauling over 40 kit-built wagons. Any previous comments have been acted upon, so it should be on sale soon.

Excellent though a tad too clean!!!

Looks very nice overall. A nice companion for the Hornby O1 and the Bachmann O4.

Interesting it has different length handrails on the two sides of the tender - perhaps still a trial for different tenders with the different models?

Also the front spectacles still appear to have rounded bottoms which in photos is only due to the fact they have been dirty and the cleaning has left the glass looking rounded at the base.  The rear row of rivets for joining the boiler to the extension piece should be on the extension piece not the front of the boiler according to the photos in Yeadon.

Call me a rivet counter - many have. Still I won't be cancelling my order!

Woodcock29

Edited by Woodcock29

The flanges on the coupled wheels look nice and shallow, but I bet I know a man who is already contemplating his order for Gibson wheels and EM axles whilst hoping that Heljan haven't glued spring mouldings in place trapping wheel sets in the chassis on this model.

The flanges on the coupled wheels look nice and shallow, but I bet I know a man who is already contemplating his order for Gibson wheels and EM axles whilst hoping that Heljan haven't glued spring mouldings in place trapping wheel sets in the chassis on this model.

The wheels are supposed to be part of the Wheel and Track Standard for 00. So the flange depths had better be the same as the rest of present UK RTR or it will need working suspension on some not so flat track situations. 

Of course if you want the wheels to look really "real", it's down to a choice between 00-P or P4/S4.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The wheels are supposed to be part of the Wheel and Track Standard for 00. So the flange depths had better be the same as the rest of present UK RTR or it will need working suspension on some not so flat track situations. 

Of course if you want the wheels to look really "real", it's down to a choice between 00-P or P4/S4.

Andy

Hi Andy

Which standard is this you are on about? Is it one where the all track and rolling stock manufacturers all abide to? Can you direct us all to it, via a hyper link of course?

• Like 1

Hi Andy

Which standard is this you are on about? Is it one where the all track and rolling stock manufacturers all abide to? Can you direct us all to it, via a hyper link of course?

Don't get involved with this complete load of nonsense!

• RMweb Premium

That looks good Tony.  You'll be pleased to know that a picture in Antony Ford's Pullman Profile No. 3 shows Lorraine in 1967 with the kitchen window painted as you have done (actually it doesn't look as neatly painted).

Correct Dave.  It received the revised (stretched) version of crest.  However, by 1961 it was allocated to the Southern Region.  So Tony's version looks correct for late 50s Eastern region.

How many Rs in the real Lor®aine?