Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I never knew Claytons worked to Consett! How long did that experiment last? Two days I should think?

In Sept 1963 two Scottish Claytons  (Three actually but one never managed to get out of the shed so a substitute was summoned.) were trialed on the iron ore trains as part of a time & motion study. After the first runs it was realized they were inadequate. One went of to Wakefield for further "trials" and one remained working from Tyne Yard for a few more weeks when they were returned to Scotland. There is a well known photo of them on their journey home in a triple header on the ECML.

Once the North East region got their own allocation, they became the regular locos on  pick up and trip workings all over the NE and across to Carlisle.

See this pic: http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/24andclaytons-@southpelaw1.jpg

and here's another. Note there is an Ale (Ex insulated) van probably carrying empty barrels back to Park Royal in the rake.

p609638016-4.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 10

If only things were that simple, however Harris records that a single 8' bolster bogie used for suburban stock was adopted for full brakes, they had 10" by 5" journals. A rather tedious trawl through the Doncaster drawling list produced by the NRM reveals that the only 8' bogie with 10" by 5" journal is the heavy type. A drawing dated 1928 exists in the archive for this type, so fairly close to Bills stated date of the adoption of new bogies for the big full brakes. Provisionally it looks like my original information stands.

I have a ( or maybe part of) a bogie diagram book and have extracted these details which I've put into a PDF

LNER Bogies.pdf

In Sept 1963 two Scottish Claytons  (Three actually but one never managed to get out of the shed so a substitute was summoned.) were trialed on the iron ore trains as part of a time & motion study. After the first runs it was realized they were inadequate. One went of to Wakefield for further "trials" and one remained working from Tyne Yard for a few more weeks when they were returned to Scotland. There is a well known photo of them on their journey home in a triple header on the ECML.

Once the North East region got their own allocation, they became the regular locos on  pick up and trip workings all over the NE and across to Carlisle.

See this pic: http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/24andclaytons-@southpelaw1.jpg

and here's another. Note there is an Ale (Ex insulated) van probably carrying empty barrels back to Park Royal in the rake.

p609638016-4.jpg

One of these road/rail tankers was a regular at West Hartlepool delivering Guinness to Cameron's brewery ...

• RMweb Premium

While the GE area surburban EMU's (AM2-AM8/302-308) were very rough riding at times and do seem to have had some type of Gresley looking bogies - I haven't a clue what they might have been, I have always understood that the actual 'Clacton' electrics, the AM9/309's ran on commonwealth bogies although I am not sure about the power bogies.

Izzy

These bogies were appalling under the AM4 (304) units when they first appeared on Liverpool-Crewe in the 1960s - especially in contrast to the LMS electric sets we were used to on Southport and Wirral lines.

Tony, this should be with you shortly.

attachicon.gifImg_0309.jpg

Phil

post-18225-0-68146200-1456324282_thumb.jpg

It was indeed, many thanks.

Rather better looking than those Claytons (fascinating and interesting though they are), and rather more successful!

I wonder if I made a tender tank with ripples, would it be more realistic? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

While the GE area surburban EMU's (AM2-AM8/302-308) were very rough riding at times and do seem to have had some type of Gresley looking bogies - I haven't a clue what they might have been, I have always understood that the actual 'Clacton' electrics, the AM9/309's ran on commonwealth bogies although I am not sure about the power bogies.

Izzy

The GER, ScR and LMR units had Gresley 8ft 6 ins double bolster bogies fitted with roller bearings on the trailer coaches. The motor cars had a BR design power bogie that was based on the Gresely principal of outside frame with inside springs. The AM7 having been built at Eastleigh had some SR design of bogie that made the Gresely fitted stock seem like luxury. Later the 307s were fitted with BR5 bogies.

AM9s were fitted with Commonwealth bogies, the best riding of all Mk1 design stock especially when doing a ton. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

attachicon.gifFs 03.jpg

It was indeed, many thanks.

Rather better looking than those Claytons (fascinating and interesting though they are), and rather more successful!

How might you go about it?

I have seen people carve plastic aeroplane fuselages to give a rippled effect... Perhaps this might translate into carving or shaping white metal? But a brass tender? I have no idea...

• Like 1

One of these road/rail tankers was a regular at West Hartlepool delivering Guinness to Cameron's brewery ...

Owen,

do you mean the tanks were offloaded at Tyneside and then driven to the Lion brewery, or a rail wagon was tripped to West Hartlepool and then driven off?

Probably.   :wink_mini:

post-508-0-97982500-1456327542.jpg

I've tried to model it on the floor of a 16 ton steel mineral. Whether I was successful is not for me to decide.

post-508-0-72520800-1456327582.jpg

With apologies for the drift.

P

(thinking that I better start packing my stuff for Glasgow rather than sitting in front of a computer.)

I managed to create a lifelike ripple effect along the top edges of my 4mm DJH Semi. The tender sides were preformed in the wrong place, so I straightened and reshaped them, introducing some ripples just where the occasional lump of coal would have bounced off. So that's how it is done!

Interesting that so many people report these "Gresley" bogies giving rough riding. When I was a lad, we often went from Cambridge to Liverpool Steet or Kings Cross for a day trainspotting in London. Coaches were BR Mk1, usually with BR1 bogies, but with the odd Commonwealth set that we looked out for. However the KGX "Cambridge Buffet Express" included a Gresley Buffet car, which we noted was better riding than the BR1 bogied Mk1 stock.

Every September, there was an excursion from Cambridge to Blackpool for the Illuminations. I well remember one year it had a Gresley Buffet in the formation. We left Cambridge via the St.Ives loop to March, where the Bury/Ipswich (?) portion was added, then headed off via Spalding & Lincoln to Doncaster and beyond. Even on the St.Ives loop at slow speeds (we stopped every station) the BR1s were much rougher than the Gresleys - we ended up in the Buffet for the whole journey to Blackpool.

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that so many people report these "Gresley" bogies giving rough riding. When I was a lad, we often went from Cambridge to Liverpool Steet or Kings Cross for a day trainspotting in London. Coaches were BR Mk1, usually with BR1 bogies, but with the odd Commonwealth set that we looked out for. However the KGX "Cambridge Buffet Express" included a Gresley Buffet car, which we noted was better riding than the BR1 bogied Mk1 stock.

Every September, there was an excursion from Cambridge to Blackpool for the Illuminations. I well remember one year it had a Gresley Buffet in the formation. We left Cambridge via the St.Ives loop to March, where the Bury/Ipswich (?) portion was added, then headed off via Spalding & Lincoln to Doncaster and beyond. Even on the St.Ives loop at slow speeds (we stopped every station) the BR1s were much rougher than the Gresleys - we ended up in the Buffet for the whole journey to Blackpool.

Stewart

The BR Mk1 bogie was reputedly very good when new and with all tolerances and settings at top notch - in fact it came out best by a long margin in some UIC comparative trials with bogies from most other European railways.  But once the mileage began to build up and the wheel profile started to wear and various springing etc components started to age it tended to become very rough.  Hence the use of a Gresley pattern bogie on various stock in a bid to avoid the deterioration problems of the BR Mk1, and of course the selective use of very expensive Commonwealth bogies to get a real improvement but at a considerable cost penalty.

Maybe you need the side sheets for a ProScale P2 tender to assist with the formation of ripples?

I must make an official complaint to my mate. He forgot to ripple the sides of this ProScale tender when he built it.  >?)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/page-359&do=findComment&comment=2208661

P

Oh the 309's!  Possibly the best ever EMU's. Fast and comfortable and handsome when they were new with the big wrap around windows. I spent may hours on them up and down to L'Pool Street and always looked out for a set when returning home. I would love to model one but the complex front curves are very difficult though you can use a Mark one for the main body. It would suit a  resin type casting. Any takers (in 7mm)?

Martin Long

• RMweb Premium

Oh the 309's!  Possibly the best ever EMU's. Fast and comfortable and handsome when they were new with the big wrap around windows. I spent may hours on them up and down to L'Pool Street and always looked out for a set when returning home. I would love to model one but the complex front curves are very difficult though you can use a Mark one for the main body. It would suit a  resin type casting. Any takers (in 7mm)?

Martin Long

Hi Martin

Pete Harvey of PH Designs does a 3D printed 4mm cab end. How about contacting him, he is on this forum, asking if it can be scaled up to 7mm. 

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of car aerosols, can I warn people not to make the same mistake that I've just made on my Graeme King W1 conversion. I painted the resin part with Hycote car 'Brooklands Green' which worked well and turned out to be a good match for the Hornby BR Green. Then I touched in around the removed nameplate and some front bufferbeam damage on the donor with enamels. Again this seemed to work well. But then I tried to blend everything in with Hycote acrylic 'Clear Lacquer', and it has reacted with the enamels to give a horrible cracked finish. I tested the lacquer on an old rtr body shell, but not on enamels :nono: .

Does anyone have a view on the best solution -. Could I rub back and touch up with enamels over the lacquer? Or is it a strip back and start again? :cry:

Regards

Andy

post-19760-0-86782600-1456350617_thumb.jpg

post-19760-0-37187600-1456350620_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Whatever !! I do not do Diesels !! , its still got numerous dents and ripples, as has the next Coach tooooooo  cheers  :jester:

Diesel, powere coach or the Scotsman, do you think the ripples and dents are evident because of the super shiny gloss paint. are the dents and imperfections if our favourite classics all hidden by Matt effect and dirt?

Andy