Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I've never actually counted up the exact amount of stock I have running on LSGC, probably because it equates to the amount of wheels I have to clean. What I do know is that it takes two weeks to prepare it for exhibition, about two hours to put it out, and seventeen years to build in the first place (not finished yet). Of course its all a waste of time, I was once informed by the knowable that the layout was build in the wrong era, and how much better it would be in LNER days, with LNER  locomotives running up and down the goods loops. It would be more then better I thought, it would be a flipping miracle considering that the goods loops didn't exist at the time.

• Like 3

As for a complete 'takeover' of, say, LNER locos and stock, you're right, some very good planning (and preparation) would be needed. I've just done a quick 'fag-packet' calculation. Some 40 locos are on the tracks at any one time, there are 92 carriages forming Up passenger trains and over 160 wagons/vans forming Up goods trains. There are just over 100 carriages forming Down passenger trains and over 160 wagons forming Down goods trains.

I reckon we'd give you a good run for your money! Jonathan's always threatening to fill the Grantham fiddle yard to capacity with goods wagons alone...

On 13/04/2016 at 16:14, Flood said:

Just as a guide I will tell you all the prices I will be paying for some locos I will be giving (yes, giving...for free, as Birthday/Christmas presents) to my Dad.

For a professional modeller to finish a Craftsman Lord Nelson built by my Dad 25 years ago; full painting, lining and numbering (post war malachite) plus all small fittings and handrails to be added: £150.00 all in - personally I feel that is a bargain.

PDK Maunsell H15; built, painted, lined (mixed traffic black with red, cream and grey) and numbered by PDK: £535.00

And for me 60506 from a Bachmann A2 being made by Tim Easter with Graeme King parts: £100.00 for the A2, £60 for parts, £300.00 for conversion, painting and full weathering; total £460.00

Could I have afforded any of these in the past...no. Do I think the prices are worth it to see the look on my Dad's face (and have an A2/2)...most certainly yes.

Whilst I appreciate that I have not built the item in this instance, as a follow up to my previous post I received the following in the post this morning:

1798859149_H1530477(1).JPG.a320f5c65e924a155ba9e0eb8b673109.JPG

I do not feel a confident builder when it comes to steam locos, with complexities such as valve gear and trying to do reasonable lining. Coaching stock, on the other hand, I have been messing around with for years (and the lining is mostly long straight edges in my case) so when another one of the steam locos above is completed in about 3 weeks I do have a reasonably interesting 6 coach rake to share with you all.

In the meantime I am very pleased with the H15. It needs a good bedding-in (although it will never run at my Dad's) and I do know of some small inaccuracies with the model but it more than meets my requirements.

Graham

Edited by Flood
  • Like 10

Whilst I appreciate that I have not built the item in this instance, as a follow up to my previous post I received the following in the post this morning:

attachicon.gifH15 30477 (1).JPG

I do not feel a confident builder when it comes to steam locos, with complexities such as valve gear and trying to do reasonable lining. Coaching stock, on the other hand, I have been messing around with for years (and the lining is mostly long straight edges in my case) so when another one of the steam locos above is completed in about 3 weeks I do have a reasonably interesting 6 coach rake to share with you all.

In the meantime I am very pleased with the H15. It needs a good bedding-in (although it will never run at my Dad's) and I do know of some small inaccuracies with the model but it more than meets my requirements.

Graham

The SR 4-6-0 looks very good indeed. 

I think I might have shown this picture before, but it shows another Graeme King/Bachmann conversion, this time into an A2/3. 

post-18225-0-31360500-1462390550_thumb.jpg

I note the cost of the Tim Easter conversion (of an A2/2). Having seen and photographed other conversions done by Tim, they really are very good, but, naturally, come at a cost. With regard to the one above, Graeme and I horse-traded. I provided two donor locos and he did two conversions - one for himself and one for me. I added some twiddly bits, changed the bogie wheels, patch-painted it, numbered, named and weathered it. 

It really is a relatively simple conversion - one that any competent modeller should be able to undertake (and thus save some money), even for those who might believe it's beyond them. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

I also have done a few of the A2/2 and A2/3's via Grame's resin and etched parts for myself and commissions for others . Like any model you can make it as a basic conversion or increase the level of detail amount ,painting, lining etc. The only thing that was slightly tricky is the valve gear as it is a mix of excellent etches and original Bachmann parts some of which require slight modification and to get it all running. What is really needed are DJH to sell their etched A2 Cabs as an accessory !!

The hardest part is finding a reasonable priced Bachmann A2 as they still command silly money and damaged ones rarely come up for sale via Ebay or elsewhere. Other than the Tender (not touched normally) there is after conversion of the Loco about 50% at most of the original Loco left, hence damaged ones are perfect for this use.

There are photos on my build thread of my efforts. 

The Peppercorn A2's never seem to get much of a mention, excepting their conversion into Thompson Pacific's, The Doncaster drawing office would be turning in their graves. This is my version of one of my favourite real locomotives 60532 Blue Peter.

post-26757-0-97265400-1462400077_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

I'm probably a bit late to the engineers GN stock colour discussion. When I was researching the 6 wheelers, I found that some were painted in maroon... not black, which was quite interesting. So my D&S kit conversion was carried out as below. From what I could establish, all the internal partitions were removed. I wasn't able to find precise details, so I guessed and added a stove and central table. In one of the photos, all the blokes jackets can be seen hanging up inside! I'm sure I've seen a colour picture of a bogie vehicle in maroon, but I can't remember in which book. Mrs G says I have too many books, but that can't be right, 'cos my brain is not big enough to remember everything in them... If I find it, I'll post the reference.

post-6972-0-66883000-1462429299_thumb.jpg

Regards

Tony

• Like 10

Another link to my favourite photo thread on RM web. A ballast train working wrong line in the vicinity of Bulwell common circa 1952. Again, the colour of the 6 wheeler is tantalisingly indecipherable. Would it be black at such an early date?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-5613-0-67316400-1367246113.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the engineers stock was painted maroon, some were painted a much brighter red, which eventually weathered to a fetching purple-pink.

I think there were several changes of colour involved.  the initial 'standard' BR departmental stock colour seems to have been black and this was used on all departmental rolling stock as far as I could see from contemporaneous examples.  It was succeeded - but only for some vehicles (from what I actually saw it only seemed to be applied to converted coaches) by a shade of maroon/very dark red much like the vehicle in Tony's photo; again,based on what I saw, this change seemed to occur/begin in the first half of the 1960s but - certainly on the Western -was far from universal by 1965/66.

But (again going solely by WR examples) breakdown train vehicles changed from black to a bright vermillion red at around the same time.  I can very clearly recall a trip in the Reading (breakdown) 'vans' in early 1967 and they were definitely painted in that shade - as an aside it was, as far as I know, the only time I ever rode in a vehicle running on GWR 'American' bogies; lovely ride at 60 mph.

It was definitely maroon, and not faded red - the original picture is tucked somewhere in to one of those many books..

Great photo of the train at Bulwell Headstock - I'm not sure if all of them kept the rooflights. I didn't put them on mine anyway..

Regards

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon Tony and 'Company'. My apologies if this product has been mentioned before. Tony, following our short conversation about replacing some 'glazing' in a plastic kit, I remembered that my Krystal Glaze (spelling?) was elsewhere, but I had this product (see below link) from some time ago when glazing an old Kirk SR Maunsell Dining Car. 

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/40ml-mr-cement-s-mr-hobby.html?fee=1&fep=1332&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_shopping

If folk have not used this it is an excellent adhesive for placing pastiglaze in a plastic kit (e.g larger parcels vans with 'roof line windows'. It does not 'cloud' the glazing and 'takes' beautifully.

Phil

One of the greatest joys in railway modelling for me is to have good friends (are there any other kind?) round to operate Little Bytham and talk trains. Yesterday it was Mr Duck and his lovely wife - thanks Phil and Pip - and today it was Mr Green Howards. He brought some splendid models he'd made (and went back with probably twice as many more!)

post-18225-0-45463600-1462480064_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-77903400-1462480066_thumb.jpg

Models like this N7 - A SE Finecast body on a modified Bachmann body. What a cracking little engine.

post-18225-0-03937100-1462480061_thumb.jpg

An N1 as well; this time a 3D-printed body on a Hornby N2 chassis. 

post-18225-0-72649200-1462480068_thumb.jpg

Both were used to pull this pair of Quad-Arts, built by 'Greenie' from Kirk kits. 

This kind of modelling is of great interest to me. Models brought by the guy who made them, with a personal story to tell. Not a commission from someone else and not yet another ' just out of the box' thingy. Great stuff, and my congratulations. 

One thing these pictures have highlighted is how much still remains to be done in the station area. Ian Wilson is currently working on the footbridge (what's there is a mock-up) and also the booking office (just another mock-up at the moment), in return for my building him a K2, and Bob Dawson and his grandson Scott have started on the platform buildings (the one shown being just another mock-up). I've yet to put the final tarmac surface on the Up platforms (the Down ones had gravel) and also install all the point rodding. But it's coming. Just seeing Bob's lovely 'box peeping into view gives an indication of how the final scene might look. 

Finally, if ever I come over as being smug about the running on my trainset, please mention 'The Master Cutler'. 'No problem', said I on being asked how well trains are propelled out of the kick-back sidings. I'll show you'. The result, derailments and a busted coupling. Not surprising, considering I hadn't set the right road!!!!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

One of the greatest joys in railway modelling for me is to have good friends (are there any other kind?) round to operate Little Bytham and talk trains. Yesterday it was Mr Duck and his lovely wife - thanks Phil and Pip - and today it was Mr Green Howards. He brought some splendid models he'd made (and went back with probably twice as many more!)

attachicon.gifN7 01.jpg

attachicon.gifN7 02.jpg

Models like this N7 - A SE Finecast body on a modified Bachmann body. What a cracking little engine.

attachicon.gifN1.jpg

An N1 as well; this time a 3D-printed body on a Hornby N2 chassis. 

attachicon.gifQuad Art.jpg

Both were used to pull this pair of Quad-Arts, built by 'Greenie' from Kirk kits. 

This kind of modelling is of great interest to me. Models brought by the guy who made them, with a personal story to tell. Not a commission from someone else and not yet another ' just out of the box' thingy. Great stuff, and my congratulations. 

One thing these pictures have highlighted is how much still remains to be done in the station area. Ian Wilson is currently working on the footbridge (what's there is a mock-up) and also the booking office (just another mock-up at the moment), in return for my building him a K2, and Bob Dawson and his grandson Scott have started on the platform buildings (the one shown being just another mock-up). I've yet to put the final tarmac surface on the Up platforms (the Down ones had gravel) and also install all the point rodding. But it's coming. Just seeing Bob's lovely 'box peeping into view gives an indication of how the final scene might look. 

Finally, if ever I come over as being smug about the running on my trainset, please mention 'The Master Cutler'. 'No problem', said I on being asked how well trains are propelled out of the kick-back sidings. I'll show you'. The result, derailments and a busted coupling. Not surprising, considering I hadn't set the right road!!!!

Tony,

May thanks for a very enjoyable day. The layout is magnificent, and I loved seeing it in the flesh. The Master Cutler incident was quite dramatic, not just a minor derailment - I hope they weren't serving the soup! But the layout performed to Tony's high standard for the rest of the session and he kindly hasn't mentioned that my N1's rather old Hornby chassis objected to the finescale points! Your photos of my quad art highlight a slight lack of alignment between the coaches which I'd never spotted when it's running which is a bit disappointing.

My bank balance is considerably lighter, but I'm delighted to be able to give a good home to some of John Houlden's stock including my namesake V2.

Regards

'Greenie'(!)

• Like 1

I don't think the engineers stock was painted maroon, some were painted a much brighter red, which eventually weathered to a fetching purple-pink.

Must be my screen calibration - that looks decidedly maroon with straw lettering.

The crimson red used for cranes, riding vans etc. surely had white lettering - well, that's what I recall, anyway.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hello Tony,

A random and unrelated question from me... What track have you used on the fiddle yard of LB? Peco code 75 or code 100?

I'm getting a few points for loco testing purposes (to prevent the issues we had with the little J69) so thought I'd get the ones that I'll likely use on my layout.

Many thanks,

Tom

Hello Tony,

A random and unrelated question from me... What track have you used on the fiddle yard of LB? Peco code 75 or code 100?

I'm getting a few points for loco testing purposes (to prevent the issues we had with the little J69) so thought I'd get the ones that I'll likely use on my layout.

Many thanks,

Tom

Tom,

All the fiddle yard track is Peco Code 100. This is the later (much later) type with finer flangeways giving much tighter clearances through the points than the previous 'Universal' Code 100 (all that meant in my experience was that it was universally bad). What it means is that all current RTR OO stock will run through it well and so will Romford/Jackson/Markits wheels. Gibson wheels (because of their narrower tread and finer flange) tend to drop into the 'V's more, though they don't normally derail.  All the points are live frog, and modified so that each switch rail is permanently bonded to its stock rail; thus, the frog is electrically an entirely separate item, polarity being switched by an independent micro switch. 

Why Peco code 100? Reliability and longevity. This is experience from exhibition layouts, where the number of point changes over the exhibition-life of a layout is staggering compared with a home layout. Stoke Summit did nearly 70 shows, and I only had to replace one Peco point and one Peco point motor in all that time (incidentally, we didn't use Peco's polarity switches - they seemed a bit flimsy). On another layout, using Peco's Code 75 points, the failure rate was much higher, broken tie-bars being the main culprit. In fairness, I believe the design has subsequently been changed to a more robust type. 

I hope this helps.

Tony,

May thanks for a very enjoyable day. The layout is magnificent, and I loved seeing it in the flesh. The Master Cutler incident was quite dramatic, not just a minor derailment - I hope they weren't serving the soup! But the layout performed to Tony's high standard for the rest of the session and he kindly hasn't mentioned that my N1's rather old Hornby chassis objected to the finescale points! Your photos of my quad art highlight a slight lack of alignment between the coaches which I'd never spotted when it's running which is a bit disappointing.

My bank balance is considerably lighter, but I'm delighted to be able to give a good home to some of John Houlden's stock including my namesake V2.

Regards

'Greenie'(!)

Thanks; I hope you don't mind the epithet. 

Your comment about the layout being magnificent is very kind, but I don't think it's as good as that. I've photographed some magnificent layouts down the years and they really are in a different class. If it does have any merit, then that's principally down to the work of others. My main contributions are the locos and the passenger-carrying vehicles, but the scenic-side trackwork, most structures, signalling and a fair bit of the scenery are the work of others. For that, credit must be given. As I mentioned to you, it's important that the work of others is always acknowledged. 

I shouldn't worry too much about the 'misalignment' of carriages. I've just recently commented about a picture to appear in a forthcoming book by Irwell about Kings Cross. Such is the apparent misalignment between two Thompson carriages, that one might think one was derailed! Your Quad-Arts give you great credit. They're all your own work and nothing can take away from that. To me that's far more important than commissioning work or just opening a box (as I said in the post). 

After I'd got back from Grantham Station, I ran that wretched MC in and out of its siding, backwards and forwards, at high speed and it never twitched. Why? Because I'd set the right point! Lesson? Never be smug.

When you come again, we'll install those decoders into the locos, even those with American pick-ups. See, I'm not entirely anti-DCC.  

• Like 1

Tom,

All the fiddle yard track is Peco Code 100. This is the later (much later) type with finer flangeways giving much tighter clearances through the points than the previous 'Universal' Code 100 (all that meant in my experience was that it was universally bad). What it means is that all current RTR OO stock will run through it well and so will Romford/Jackson/Markits wheels. Gibson wheels (because of their narrower tread and finer flange) tend to drop into the 'V's more, though they don't normally derail.  All the points are live frog, and modified so that each switch rail is permanently bonded to its stock rail; thus, the frog is electrically an entirely separate item, polarity being switched by an independent micro switch. 

Why Peco code 100? Reliability and longevity. This is experience from exhibition layouts, where the number of point changes over the exhibition-life of a layout is staggering compared with a home layout. Stoke Summit did nearly 70 shows, and I only had to replace one Peco point and one Peco point motor in all that time (incidentally, we didn't use Peco's polarity switches - they seemed a bit flimsy). On another layout, using Peco's Code 75 points, the failure rate was much higher, broken tie-bars being the main culprit. In fairness, I believe the design has subsequently been changed to a more robust type. 

I hope this helps.

Thank you Tony, most helpful. Even though I won't be designing an exhibition layout, I might as well have the most reliable system possible.

In between finishing off models for friends, entertaining friends, selling models for friends, repairing locos for sale for widows and finishing off my own locos and stock, I've (at last!) completed all the Bytham telegraph poles. 

post-18225-0-27997100-1462650179_thumb.jpg

The last ones done were for the MR/M&GNR, and are cut & shut Ratio items. These were weathered and the insulators picked out in off white.

post-18225-0-52519600-1462650181_thumb.jpg

The main line ones were more substantial, needing at least three Ratio posts to complete (note the inevitable wiggle). Thanks to Rob Davey for picking out all the insulators on these (and for fitting all those fence posts). 

post-18225-0-55680600-1462650183_thumb.jpg

The largest ones have featured before, and they're made from Dan Pinnock's castings and brass rod. In prototype pictures, the insulators appear to be upside down, but they're actually attached to the cross rails by 'swan neck' brackets (invisible against the light). If you feel you've seen similar substantial posts like these elsewhere, well I arranged for all the Dan Pinnock parts to be supplied for Peterborough North, where Mr Duck did a splendid job of making them. 

One of John Houlden's heroically-filthy V2s takes a Down fast freight through the station. The poles just finish off part of this scene, but those 'miles' of point rodding are still to be done. More of Roy Vinter's beautiful little ground dollies are sprouting up as well. I'm so fortunate to have so many contributors to the project. Apart from the few commissioned items (such as Bob Dawson's wonderful buildings), everyone contributes for nothing and/or we indulge in 'horse-trading'. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thanks; I hope you don't mind the epithet. 

Your comment about the layout being magnificent is very kind, but I don't think it's as good as that. I've photographed some magnificent layouts down the years and they really are in a different class. If it does have any merit, then that's principally down to the work of others. My main contributions are the locos and the passenger-carrying vehicles, but the scenic-side trackwork, most structures, signalling and a fair bit of the scenery are the work of others. For that, credit must be given. As I mentioned to you, it's important that the work of others is always acknowledged. 

I shouldn't worry too much about the 'misalignment' of carriages. I've just recently commented about a picture to appear in a forthcoming book by Irwell about Kings Cross. Such is the apparent misalignment between two Thompson carriages, that one might think one was derailed! Your Quad-Arts give you great credit. They're all your own work and nothing can take away from that. To me that's far more important than commissioning work or just opening a box (as I said in the post). 

After I'd got back from Grantham Station, I ran that wretched MC in and out of its siding, backwards and forwards, at high speed and it never twitched. Why? Because I'd set the right point! Lesson? Never be smug.

When you come again, we'll install those decoders into the locos, even those with American pick-ups. See, I'm not entirely anti-DCC.

Tony,

I'll look forward to another visit and running some of the sequence. I've run the locos at home today, the A2/1 goes really well, but the V2 seems to short out on my tighter curves. I will have to investigate further, but could be a challenge for DCC?!

The Kings Cross book is one I will look forward to greatly. Does it build on their existing book on the station? When is it due out?

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Gold

...polarity being switched by an independent micro switch. 

...(incidentally, we didn't use Peco's polarity switches - they seemed a bit flimsy).

May I echo this experience; where polarity switching is needed, including cross-overs, asymmetric points etc, I have failed to get the Peco microswitches to work consistently & reliably and so, after experimenting with various solutions, I now use a combination of independently mounted, but mechanically switched microswitches and / or relays fired in parallel with the point motors. Each of these options seems to do the job equally well.

Tony