Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

16ft for all that and a fiddle yard in O gauge?!

I have something similar in 4mm and barely fit it in to 16ft, what are you using as baseboards, the TARDIS? :)

Richard

I think you may have misread. It is 16' plus a fiddle yard. 8' platforms, 8' station throat plus an 8' fiddle yard, probably a traverser as I don't fancy lifting 7mm stuff on cassettes. I think it works out! A GCR 4-6-0 and 5 Parker bogie carriages is just short of 8' in 7mm scale. One of the advantages of modelling pre-grouping times. Not only were trains generally shorter in terms of number of carriages but the carriages were shorter too.

I used to live in Calne in the late 1960s early 1970s. As bored schoolkids in the summer holidays we used to go along to the Harris factory to watch the pigs go in for entertainment. Different times. The station had closed and the track lifted but other than that, it was pretty much intact. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Thanks for the comments about enjoying running LB. 

I'll make it a priority to run the MR/M&GNR when you next visit. 

Speaking of which, arrange one before too long and I'll install the new motor. Part of the motion will need dismantling but since I was the one who caused the original motor to fail, then that's the least I can do. 

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks Tony,

In the spirit of this forum I'll have a go myself, but will take you up on your offer of another visit in the new year. You can't blame yourself for the failure - I'd just like to understand whether this is a common occurrence when running DCC locos on DC, as it could become expensive and time consuming!

Andy

I had the privelage of speaking with a number of train crew in the eighties and early nineties....one thing I came to appreciate ...if they could thwart officialdom they would...including taking a class 52 western all the way to York...

A lot of truth in that statement - sometimes the 'thwarting of officialdom' can be forced upon the humble railwayman - but either way, a fatal assumption can be to regard everything written down in official documentation as always being faithfully carried out on the ground.

Back to steam days, there's the famous story of the GW 'Hall' that made it all the way to Huddersfield, re-profiling its outside cylinder covers in the process. I think it took about 3 weeks to get it back didn't it?

.Back to steam days, there's the famous story of the GW 'Hall' that made it all the way to Huddersfield, re-profiling its outside cylinder covers in the process. I think it took about 3 weeks to get it back didn't it?

I assume it went back to the GWR as a wide load special freight via LNWR Standedge to Stalybridge and Ashton, then turned off the L&Y towards Stockport and Crewe? Manchester London Road route often took GWR 'toplight' and other coaches (and locos before the war). Anyone got full details?

Edited by coachmann

I assume it went back to the GWR as a wide load special freight via LNWR Standedge to Stalybridge and Ashton, then turned off the L&Y towards Stockport and Crewe? Manchester London Road route often took GWR 'toplight' and other coaches (and locos before the war). Anyone got full details?

My apologies - 'twas a 'Grange'. All look the same those GW 4-6-0's :tomato:

this from RailUK site

Nottingham Victoria was the farthest north that Great Western locomotives ventured down the Great Central, except on rare occasions. One of these occasions took place on 15 August 1964 when engine No. 6858 Woolston Grange working the Poole to Bradford/Leeds train, and which normally would have come off at Leicester or Nottingham, managed due to an oversight by control, to reach Huddersfield. However, en route, it had hit the platform edge at Berry Brow station between Penistone and Huddersfield. The loco was quickly removed to Huddersfield shed where it languished well inside until it was towed to Crewe as an out of gauge load two weeks later.

• Like 1

Does anybody know if there is an underframe kit for the Palethorpes van?

I think that RC436 LMS 6w Express Fish from http://www.slimrails.co.uk/index00gauge.html should be correct.

Be aware, though, that the old Hornby Palethorpes / milk van body is underscale for length - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104787-breakfast-special-sausage-milk-cream-van-cut-shuts/ .

...... oh, and I do the transfers - see Sheet BL153 at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

My apologies - 'twas a 'Grange'. All look the same those GW 4-6-0's :tomato:

this from RailUK site

Nottingham Victoria was the farthest north that Great Western locomotives ventured down the Great Central, except on rare occasions. One of these occasions took place on 15 August 1964 when engine No. 6858 Woolston Grange working the Poole to Bradford/Leeds train, and which normally would have come off at Leicester or Nottingham, managed due to an oversight by control, to reach Huddersfield. However, en route, it had hit the platform edge at Berry Brow station between Penistone and Huddersfield. The loco was quickly removed to Huddersfield shed where it languished well inside until it was towed to Crewe as an out of gauge load two weeks later.

Graham,

I think oversights by Control must have been quite common, or at least misunderstandings. 

I can't find the account now of ST SIMON (60112) ending up at the south end of the MR main line at Cricklewood. It might have started at Leeds, and the rostering clerk (an agent of Control?) at Holbeck(?) had allocated a loco for a fully-fitted freight to London. Using pre-Nationalisation parlance, he must have put 6112 (a Royal Scot). Someone then must have read that as 60112 (an A3) and ST SIMON was duly placed on the train. By this time, Holbeck men were used to A3s, so probably thought nothing of it; and, of it went. How long it was before it was returned I can't recall, though it did the job with ease.

Then there was the case of a Bradford train ending up in Kings Cross behind a Jubilee (45597?).

We lived through interesting times.  

• Like 2

Someone read out 'Sixty-one-twelve'? My dad had an example on the Moors when he was sent to light up 'Number 29', so went looking for the Lambton Tank when it was 75029 which was supposed to be working.

I have heard a theory that Control thought '6858' was an EE Type 3 and so let it run through, but that may be apocryphal.

• Like 1

'Fraid not - Harris of Calne, Wiltshire.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

(Had it been Palethorpes you'd have been in no doubt whatsoever - they were heavily into graphics).

attachicon.gifIMG_1481 small.JPG

It's a four-wheel Siphon C (Dia O8 0r O9); there were some bogie Siphon Fs allocated to the same traffic. The last Siphon Cs lasted into the late 1950s. Another traffic that passed via this route was tobacco from Nottingham and Neyland, again carried in Siphons, though 'J's this time.

I think that RC436 LMS 6w Express Fish from http://www.slimrails.co.uk/index00gauge.html should be correct.

Be aware, though, that the old Hornby Palethorpes / milk van body is underscale for length - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104787-breakfast-special-sausage-milk-cream-van-cut-shuts/ .

...... oh, and I do the transfers - see Sheet BL153 at http://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Many thanks John for the information.

• RMweb Premium

OT but please take a look at the quality of this conversion (follow the link on the post); OK so it is GWR but the work is of a very high standard. Just love the hinge idea for this type of coach. The curtains are also a tidy 'touch' & despite looking like kitchen towel paper clos up they are just right at viewing distance. Simple ideas are often the best.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116895-dia-h33-restaurant-car-hornbycomet-conversion/&do=findComment&comment=2500634

Edited by Mallard60022

It's a four-wheel Siphon C (Dia O8 0r O9); there were some bogie Siphon Fs allocated to the same traffic. The last Siphon Cs lasted into the late 1950s. Another traffic that passed via this route was tobacco from Nottingham and Neyland, again carried in Siphons, though 'J's this time.

I have another photo of possibly the same siphon departing Swindon on the Swansea Sheffield service. One of the roof boards is just readable as 'Wiltshire sausages Calne'. A question for you if I may, would you happen to know what type of GWR vehicle would be designated BY?

Quote " Then there was the case of a Bradford train ending up in Kings Cross behind a Jubilee 45597. " Quote

On the 1st June 1963 according to Colour Rail BRE1096 , but then returned north a week later ? as it was photographed at Three Counties on the  8th June 1963.

This seems a long lay over in London although of course by then there was a surplus of steam motive power.   :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Graham,

I think oversights by Control must have been quite common, or at least misunderstandings. 

I can't find the account now of ST SIMON (60112) ending up at the south end of the MR main line at Cricklewood. It might have started at Leeds, and the rostering clerk (an agent of Control?) at Holbeck(?) had allocated a loco for a fully-fitted freight to London. Using pre-Nationalisation parlance, he must have put 6112 (a Royal Scot). Someone then must have read that as 60112 (an A3) and ST SIMON was duly placed on the train. By this time, Holbeck men were used to A3s, so probably thought nothing of it; and, of it went. How long it was before it was returned I can't recall, though it did the job with ease.

Then there was the case of a Bradford train ending up in Kings Cross behind a Jubilee (45597?).

There is a story, probably apocryphal although it deserves not to be, of a conversation between a Liverpool Street foreman and Control in the early years of nationalisation, which goes something like this:

LS: I thought 8-coupled engines were banned from Liverpool Street.

C: Yes - why?

LS: One's just arrived.

C: Oh. What number is it?

LS: 4701.

C: That can't be right. All numbers have five digits now.

LS: Well this one says 4701 on a big brass plate on the side.

(Collapse of stout party).

• Like 3

Graham,

Hi

I was actually at Kings Cross Station trainspotting in1963 when Jubilee Class 45597 Barbados pulled in at the head of an express, I had know idea where it had came from.

Also a few weeks earlier 45597 was spotted by a close friend of mine at South Tottenham Junction running tender first around a sharp curve leading from the Great Eastern Main line from Liverpool Street to Cambridge and heading onto the Cross London line which I assume would take it to either Cricklewood or Willesden MPD's eventually.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Jubilees were not unknown in Lincolnshire-workings to Frodingham and excursions to the coast.  There are records of at least one Patriot and a Royal Scot in Lincoln Central, plus LMS Garratts at Scunthorpe.  

The coast excursion traffic could be eclectic, to say the least, apart from Caprotti Black 5s, the coaching stock hasd to be seen to be believed-NER, GCR Barnums, GER, LMS-and this was the late fifties.

• Like 3

Morning Tony,

Pardon the diversion, but I thought you'd be interested to see this. You may remember handing me some prehistoric etches for GN 6 wheelers or twins at Doncaster? I'm still none the wiser about David Gray, the chap who seems to have made them, although I have sourced some instructions and I gather there were more in the range.

What I have done is rebuilt the one which had been started and after Warley I hope to have the parts to complete it. Bogies are temporary (as I hope is obvious)

gn_bt_twin.jpg

I'm taking the option to build it as a BT/T twin.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 8

Hi

I was actually at Kings Cross Station trainspotting in1963 when Jubilee Class 45597 Barbados pulled in at the head of an express, I had know idea where it had came from.

Also a few weeks earlier 45597 was spotted by a close friend of mine at South Tottenham Junction running tender first around a sharp curve leading from the Great Eastern Main line from Liverpool Street to Cambridge and heading onto the Cross London line which I assume would take it to either Cricklewood or Willesden MPD's eventually.

Regards

David.

David, Could have been Neasden Depot by that time as it was under the Midland Region as 14D. :protest:

Regards,Derek.

David, Could have been Neasden Depot by that time as it was under the Midland Region as 14D. :protest:

Regards,Derek.

Hi Derek

Yes you could be correct as I forgot all about Neasden MPD, just a point of interest was Neasden MPD still open to steam early 1963.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi Derek

Yes you could be correct as I forgot all about Neasden MPD, just a point of interest was Neasden MPD still open to steam early 1963.

Regards

David

Did the GC have jubilees allocated in its later days other than the beefed up ones? I am less strong on that era, more a pre grouping man.

Richard