Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Thought id ask in this topic about the Biggleswade layout if thats ok. With it being a 1950s ecml layout.

Ive been revisiting the BRM video which I havent seen for a long time and I only seen the layout approximately 20 years ago at Doncaster.

Did you have any involvement with this Tony?

And does anyone know where the layout or stock is today?

I remember the articles in BRM about building various stock but its such a long time ago.

The layout still looks fantastic in the video.

If you can contact him (try via Middlesbrough club), Mark Lloyd was one of the builders of Biggleswade. Funnily enough we were just saying we hadn't seen him at Wakefield at the weekend, he usually comes down.

I heard - but only at least second hand - that the layout had been sold to someone in Devon who then had difficulty with the building it had been intended to house it within, so it remains in storage but unused.

Edited by jwealleans

If you can contact him (try via Middlesbrough club), Mark Lloyd was one of the builders of Biggleswade. Funnily enough we were just saying we hadn't seen him at Wakefield at the weekend, he usually comes down.

I heard - but only at least second hand - that the layout had been sold to someone in Devon who then had difficulty with the building it had been intended to house it within, so it remains in storage but unused.

The situation you describe is correct as far as I know.

The remnants of the Biggleswade crew went on to build and exhibit Stainmore Summit, which has now retired, and are currently busy building South Pelaw, the link to our blog is below.

http://southpelawem.blogspot.co.uk/

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The situation you describe is correct as far as I know.

The remnants of the Biggleswade crew went on to build and exhibit Stainmore Summit, which has now retired, and are currently busy building South Pelaw, the link to our blog is below.

http://southpelawem.blogspot.co.uk/

That looks like an absolutely phenomenal layout. Thanks for the link!

Alastair (Barry Ten)

Agreed, that looks a fabulous piece of work.

Reading back over a few posts I'd missed, I think we have to thank Mike Delamar for his timely intervention, otherwise we might well have been off on a puerile and predictable tangent about the multitude of 'Cocks' behind Grantham this weekend.....

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, that looks a fabulous piece of work.

Reading back over a few posts I'd missed, I think we have to thank Mike Delamar for his timely intervention, otherwise we might well have been off on a puerile and predictable tangent about the multitude of 'Cocks' behind Grantham this weekend.....

Don't worry .. I can come over and create havoc make sure they are all ok

Baz

• Like 2

I think the MRJ photographic style is quite well-known. Barry Norman was among the first to abandon the 'helicopter' style of model railway photography. He'd place the camera on the track and get 'eye level' pictures. In a way, the approach was quite 'revolutionary' at the time.

Now, with tiny digital cameras (and even mobile phones), low-level shots are much easier to achieve. There is now a new generation of model railway photographers, some taking the craft to quite stunning levels with a mastery of stacking and so on. They've reached a standard way beyond what I might achieve. The only observation I'd make which I don't particularly care for is the too-lurid colours sometimes, particularly scenic greens.

I've mentioned how I take pictures before; a powerful (big ) camera and a lens which stops down to F32 (actually nearer F45). I don't know how to stack (I don't want to know) and I get depth of field just by optics. Andy York explained stacking to me and how he gets such great results with it. I just looked blank! 

Thanks Tony, I have never really liked 'helicopter views', although they can be helpful if explaining certain aspects of a layout's construction etc., I just wondered if there was a certain 'X' factor to MRJ's photography - other than getting in low and endeavouring to over come the inevitable - for most layouts - depth of field issues. I am just a keen amateur photographer and I work very hard to get photos for an article right and yet in the not too distant past repro/printing issues have made some of my models look - backgrounds too - some very strange colours indeed. Thanks for the advice on your settings, I had a PM conversation with Andy York - as well as watching his videos on stacking, very clever - yet I am not sure that I have the brains, time, inclination to master such, even with the cheaper digital photographic tools such can be performed with. It's like CAD, I have friends who are CAD jockeys and they keep telling me to learn as it would be a boon, yet it turns me cold....I will learn one day... 

Rather than being a product of digital photography or post photo editing I think over bright grass is often the result of a layout builders efforts. I can think of a few model railways were sunglasses could be an optional accessory when viewing. Admittedly real grass can almost fluoresce under certain light and weather conditions but not as regularly as I see at exhibitions.

P

I'd agree with that, but there are occasions when a combination of the shades of green, lighting and the camera can give very bizarre results.  The first time we had Thurston photographed for a magazine, the pictures all showed the ground cover as a horribly lurid shade which wasn't (as far as my eyes perceived it) the reality.

And thereby hangs another tale.

I can't speak of the current process but at the advent of digital photography there was quite a process involved in getting a digitally image (usually scanned from film) to the printed page. Quite often the printer's interpretation of colour could be quite different to the photographers. Then the printing machines interpretation of the commands it received from its operator would be something quite different again.

I've seen some quite heated arguments of the colour of colour in newspaper offices.

P

Hi All,

Greens can be very vivid in real life, ie summer's day, bright green, fresh grass, thunder-clouds as a background....yet like ripples in a ship's sides or a loco's tender it often doesn't look right in/on a model. BUT as I said there appeared to be, in one or two mags, a little while back, repro/print production issues with colour interpretation/reproduction, which played tricks with perfectly good models/photos...

attachicon.gifP2 17 frames stripped.jpg

Six months ago, the stripped frames for the P2 I'm building were delivered to Ian Rathbone for painting, along with the loco body and tender. Not how each wheelset has been identified to ensure, after painting, they go back in the right order. 

attachicon.gifP2 18 valve gear on.jpg

Yesterday, I got the whole loco back, beautifully-painted (as always). My task yesterday evening was to fit the motion (most having already been built). What a fight! A lot of the Ace bits weren't of much use because some of the parts seemed too small, and, having been reduced down from 7mm, some of the clearances were wafer-thin. I ended up using a mix of Comet parts as well. 

The brakes are now on and the second coat of black is on the cylinders. I'll post pictures of the completed loco in due course. 

As I mentioned yesterday, young Jesse from Australia looked on for a time. What amazed me, though, was my leaving him to run LB unattended (not the act of my leaving him but his complete ability to run trains perfectly). I just left him to it, for well over an hour. I don't remember having an almost total grasp of things new to me when I was young. Every time I operate the railway, I cock up somewhere. Not he. Perhaps all model railways should come with a free grandchild. 

Looking forward to seeing more photos of the rebuild.

Re. young Jesse, that is good to hear, so many times these days the media oft portrays youngsters as 'hoodies' or lacking aptitude for the practical. We have encountered similar youngsters to Jesse, who have visited our H&BLR and some (I am thinking of two lads in particular) got the hang of - and can be trusted with - driving a live steam loco within 45 minutes and can be left to drive one train as we fire another. I know some older folk who cant - and shouldnt be let anywhere near - drive a LS loco and theyve never gotten the hang of driving them (I have seen too many narrow gauge LS locos being driven like a HST!). After coming to the H&BLR and then having their own models/model railways one or two youngsters have gone up to university to study railways and engineering. 

There have also been though, when we used to have charity open days, one or two sub 16 year old hoodlums, who had to be told to step back behind the barriers as they were intent on scolding themselves and/or of causing damage (the latter just for the fun of 'expressing themselves' aw bless self expression at a cost to someone else/their property). If it weren't for the H&S culture, then perhaps youngsters would be more cautious  - I strove hard for H&S improvements, any H&S full stop, in some cases, in the 1980s, after colleagues had injured themselves due to lack of protection/H&S, now H&S, plus risk assessments et al all seems ludicrously bureaucratic but needs to be in place as insurance companies WONT pay out if the paperwork and procedures are not adhered to 100% (insurance companies supposedly pay out only 40% of the time in full and often the rest of the time only a maximum of 60% of the total amount contracted for at all. And then there is the 'CYA syndrome' relating to the 'sue everybody for everything culture' inherited from the US of A). So eg. if little 'Johnny' or little 'Mary' after being told 10 times; 'dont touch it will burn/scald' and then they continue to try and touch said hot item, and thus get a minor burn/scald, then perhaps - AS LONG AS SUCH INJURIES ARE NOT AND NOT ALLOWED TO BE LIFE THREATENING/ALTERING (in terms of physical harm) - that's how one learns (if one is not prepared to listen to sage advice)? Harsh? maybe - its how I learnt when I didnt listen as a kid. Hopefully one instils common sense in one's children, sadly, these days, commons sense isn't always common though. Which is sad as it denies youngsters the opportunity of engaging and doing so much more than merely gazing into 'black mirrors'.

If certain parents bring their kids up well then other folk warm to that and the kids, if the kids are a 'mare (because the parents haven't set boundaries/brought them up properly etc) then they end up not being invited to events or folks' homes etc. I only know all of these principles as my better half is a time served Nanny.

I believe that hobbies are great for kids and adults alike and like acorns can grow into something so much more than the sum of the parts.

ATVB Kind regards,

M.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Biggleswade & Stoke Summit

At the risk of sounding greedy, I am the current custodian of both Biggleswade & Stoke Summit. I acquired Biggleswade some years ago with the intention of erecting it in one of the barns on my farm on Dartmoor. Unfortunately, the planners from Dartmoor National Park had other ideas and so it was only partly erected in another already converted barn which at 30x10 was much smaller than the 45x15 needed for Biggleswade. A move was on the cards a few years ago so I anticipated being able to erect a custom built shed, rather like Tony did for LB. Family circumstances have meant a delay on the move but hopefully it will occur next year. In the meantime, when Stoke Summit became available, I couldn't resist as it fitted perfectly into my 30x10 barn and that is where it sits today with the majority of Biggleswade stored underneath it. Both layouts are in excellent condition and Stoke Summit operates (almost) faultlessly. I have managed to stock Stoke Summit with some 38 complete trains - a mixture of ready to run and kit built (a few locos and quite a few wagons). I will try and post some up to date photos when I have time and my photography improves!!

Geoff Hodson

• Like 17

Biggleswade & Stoke Summit

At the risk of sounding greedy, I am the current custodian of both Biggleswade & Stoke Summit. I acquired Biggleswade some years ago with the intention of erecting it in one of the barns on my farm on Dartmoor. Unfortunately, the planners from Dartmoor National Park had other ideas and so it was only partly erected in another already converted barn which at 30x10 was much smaller than the 45x15 needed for Biggleswade. A move was on the cards a few years ago so I anticipated being able to erect a custom built shed, rather like Tony did for LB. Family circumstances have meant a delay on the move but hopefully it will occur next year. In the meantime, when Stoke Summit became available, I couldn't resist as it fitted perfectly into my 30x10 barn and that is where it sits today with the majority of Biggleswade stored underneath it. Both layouts are in excellent condition and Stoke Summit operates (almost) faultlessly. I have managed to stock Stoke Summit with some 38 complete trains - a mixture of ready to run and kit built (a few locos and quite a few wagons). I will try and post some up to date photos when I have time and my photography improves!!

Geoff Hodson

Lucky man! enjoy!!

Thought id ask in this topic about the Biggleswade layout if thats ok. With it being a 1950s ecml layout.

Ive been revisiting the BRM video which I havent seen for a long time and I only seen the layout approximately 20 years ago at Doncaster.

Did you have any involvement with this Tony?

And does anyone know where the layout or stock is today?

I remember the articles in BRM about building various stock but its such a long time ago.

The layout still looks fantastic in the video.

I had no involvement with the layout with regard to its construction (that's why it was so good).

I took photographs shortly after it first appeared and continued to do so throughout the layout's exhibition existence.

I, along with other WMRC members loaned stock from time (it had a lot of trains) and we also helped when the DVD was made.

Other than that, the real praise should go to Martin, Mark and Nigel Lloyd, Richard Nice, Harry Anstess, Norman Venus and Dave Scott (who, I think, made the pointwork).

The layout of Biggleswade really was a terrific achievement, really well researched and built by a highly-skilled team. No 'please make this or that for me' 'modellers' these - no, all makers of things by themselves and collectively as a group. Mark, Richard and Norman seemed to be the architectural modellers (particularly Mark) and Martin, Harry, Richard and Norman attended to the making of the locos and stock.

post-18225-0-89093900-1479934509_thumb.jpg 

All these pictures were taken when we helped the team out at the Sunderland Show, many years ago. My apologies for their not being all that good. The camera I used at the time only had a million pixels - cutting-edge technology back then. 

In this shot one of my A4s heads the Down West Riding past Martin Lloyd's magnificet signals. 

post-18225-0-43595000-1479934513_thumb.jpg

I built the W1 and Martin Lloyd built its train and the adjacent Craven's DMU (from an MTK kit!!)

post-18225-0-91131900-1479934515_thumb.jpg

Martin built this DJH A2, Richard built the train and Harry made the 'box (I think). 

post-18225-0-57793100-1479934518_thumb.jpg

I have no idea of the provenance of the Brit but Richard built the goods shed).

post-18225-0-69199800-1479934520_thumb.jpg

Nor the provenance of the K3, except it's kit-built.

post-18225-0-69048900-1479934522_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-75820000-1479934524_thumb.jpg

One of my A1s and its train on loan. Again, who built the 9F I'm not sure.

post-18225-0-81787000-1479934526_thumb.jpg

Richard's goods shed.

post-18225-0-03261600-1479934529_thumb.jpg

Yet again, who built the B16 I don't know. 

I hope Geoff gets the layout up and running again. At 45' long there were few compromises. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 19

I had no involvement with the layout with regard to its construction (that's why it was so good).

I took photographs shortly after it first appeared and continued to do so throughout the layout's exhibition existence.

I, along with other WMRC members loaned stock from time (it had a lot of trains) and we also helped when the DVD was made.

Other than that, the real praise should go to Martin, Mark and Nigel Lloyd, Richard Nice, Harry Anstess, Norman Venus and Dave Scott (who, I think, made the pointwork).

The layout of Biggleswade really was a terrific achievement, really well researched and built by a highly-skilled team. No 'please make this or that for me' 'modellers' these - no, all makers of things by themselves and collectively as a group. Mark, Richard and Norman seemed to be the architectural modellers (particularly Mark) and Martin, Harry, Richard and Norman attended to the making of the locos and stock.

attachicon.gif20 60026 0n W Riding BW.jpg

All these pictures were taken when we helped the team out at the Sunderland Show, many years ago. My apologies for their not being all that good. The camera I used at the time only had a million pixels - cutting-edge technology back then. 

In this shot one of my A4s heads the Down West Riding past Martin Lloyd's magnificet signals. 

attachicon.gif21 W1 and Cravens BW.jpg

I built the W! and Martin Lloyd built its train and the adjacent Craven's DMU (from an MTK kit!!)

attachicon.gif22 A2 by North Box.jpg

Martin built this DJH A2, Richard built the train and Harry made the 'box (I think). 

attachicon.gif23 Britannia by Goods Shed bw.jpg

I have no idea of the provenance of the Brit but Richard built the goods shed).

attachicon.gif24 K3 by Goods Shed BW.jpg

Nor the provenance of the K3, except it's kit-built.

attachicon.gif25 A1 through Station.jpg

attachicon.gif26 A1 & 9F bw.jpg

One of my A1s and its train on loan. Again, who built the 9F I'm not sure.

attachicon.gif27 Goods Shed bw.jpg

Richard's goods shed.

attachicon.gif28 B16 by North Box.jpg

Yet again, who built the B16 I don't know. 

I hope Geoff gets the layout up and running again. At 45' long there were few compromises. 

My local station and one of my favourite layouts.  Thanks for the pictures, Tony.  It would be good to hear of this layour and maybe see it again.

I know DCC is not a favourite topic, Tony, but a few posts back you had a DCC equipped A4 running on LB with no problems.  I mention this only because I am currently test fitting a DCC sound chip to my Modern Outline Kits 14XX chassis.  I have designed my locos (all 7mm) to have an 8 pin socket so that they can be switched (by hand) from DC to DCC, just like an RTR can be.

So I first put the chassis on a Poppy's Rolling Road on DC.  Everything ran they way it should (I have not touched it for over a month).  I then attached the rolling road to my DCC controlled layout and placed the 14XX with decoder on and added the 14XX.  A loud humming ensued which I have read about and which is considered by some to be bad for the motor in the long run.

I then took out the DC plug from the socket and connected the Loksound chip and speaker.  Everything ran perfectly apart from the chuff rate which needs to be calibrated.  Back to DC and that humming re-appeared.  I programmed the NCE controller to accept DC running and the humming continued but the motor did turn.  Did your visitor's A4 hum when running?

I don't know whether this could be an ongoing problem to the chip equipped loco, but I have heard that too much running on DC is not a good idea.  Can anyone else comment on this?  Not for my sake, but more for any unwitting modeler that reads that the A4 ran well and thinks this is a safe long term procedure.  Again, I am unsure myself and would value anyone's opinion on this if it can help everyone.

Paul

PS the Southwest Digital sound chip was very lifelike - one does have to pick and choose the sound files, some are rip offs.  This one is good value.

Having collected seven locomotives from my deceased friend's estate this afternoon, I can report one or two things. 

Though the DJH Raven A2 is beautifully-painted (hand lined), there is no signature underneath. Since every model I've ever photographed with Larry Goddard's painting has his signature underneath I must conclude that he didn't paint it. It runs superbly (Portescap-powered) and does not hit LB's platforms. 

There is a K's second P2 EARL MARISCHAL. Though very well-built and it runs superbly, the front of the casings each side is painted black. The lining is a bit patchy in places as well. 

There's the U1 built from a DJH kit which also runs beautifully. It needs some cosmetic attention. 

There's also a Class Z NE Atlantic in wartime black. Again, a very good runner. 

And an NER 4-4-4T; another good runner. 

Then an NBR 0-6-0 which needs some mechanical attention. 

Finally, an old Cornard B17 powered by an even older K's Mk. 1 motor. That said, it does run well. 

All are in LNER livery. 

I'll tidy them all up, clean, oil and service them all, then take pictures for anyone interested in acquiring these. Because the A2 is not a 'named' paint job, I shall not be asking £600.00. 

Obviously, it is my intention to get the best possible prices for the partner of my late friend, though one must be realistic. 

If I say they run well, that's exactly what I mean. Anyone interested, please PM me.

Many thanks in anticipation. 

Edited by Tony Wright

I know DCC is not a favourite topic, Tony, but a few posts back you had a DCC equipped A4 running on LB with no problems.  I mention this only because I am currently test fitting a DCC sound chip to my Modern Outline Kits 14XX chassis.  I have designed my locos (all 7mm) to have an 8 pin socket so that they can be switched (by hand) from DC to DCC, just like an RTR can be.

So I first put the chassis on a Poppy's Rolling Road on DC.  Everything ran they way it should (I have not touched it for over a month).  I then attached the rolling road to my DCC controlled layout and placed the 14XX with decoder on and added the 14XX.  A loud humming ensued which I have read about and which is considered by some to be bad for the motor in the long run.

I then took out the DC plug from the socket and connected the Loksound chip and speaker.  Everything ran perfectly apart from the chuff rate which needs to be calibrated.  Back to DC and that humming re-appeared.  I programmed the NCE controller to accept DC running and the humming continued but the motor did turn.  Did your visitor's A4 hum when running?

I don't know whether this could be an ongoing problem to the chip equipped loco, but I have heard that too much running on DC is not a good idea.  Can anyone else comment on this?  Not for my sake, but more for any unwitting modeler that reads that the A4 ran well and thinks this is a safe long term procedure.  Again, I am unsure myself and would value anyone's opinion on this if it can help everyone.

Paul

PS the Southwest Digital sound chip was very lifelike - one does have to pick and choose the sound files, some are rip offs.  This one is good value.

Paul,

Jesse's A4 did not hum, nor did it today as it ran and ran round LB; beautifully.

I have not heard that too much running on DC by a DCC-fitted loco is not a good idea, so I cannot comment.

All I'd say (argumentative as always) is that my experience of DCC has proven to me that I will never embrace it. I know exactly how to get reliable and almost-perfect running (I'm the imperfection) by using a simple system that I can understand, can wire with confidence and is not brought to a complete halt by a stray short. I do not have to tap in addresses (I just flick a switch), nor do I have to re-address a loco when it mysteriously loses it.

I have seen DCC which works perfectly (Rumbling Bridge) and also DCC systems which have caused premature ageing (true of DC at times, to be fair). Someone once said to me that I was prejudiced against DCC and I should have a more open mind. He thought it most unreasonable my being that way. Having spent hours trying to get his DCC system working as 'perfectly' as I'd expect of my DC system, I rejoiced in my prejudice! I didn't understand it (didn't want to know, really) and I'm not sure he did. What, with stuttering kit-built metal locos and RTR locos losing their addresses, no thanks. 

Anyway, this 'debate' has been aired on this thread before. So, in my case, I refuse to 'listen to reason' with regard to DCC. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

Some (but not all) DCC controllers will allow a single analog (non-DCC) loco to run through address 0. The high-frequency DCC signal causes the humming through the motor winding. Long term this can affect the motor. 

Running a DCC equipped loco on an analog layout should not cause a problem; so long as CV29 is correctly set to allow DC running within the decoder.  By default, most decoders are set to allow DC running. However, DCC decoders do vary in quality, as such some DCC equipped loco's do exhibit poor running on DC  layouts.

Apologies to those who have now got a head-ache. :scratchhead:

Tony

I must apologize. I woke up early this morning and realized that my DCC/DC comment was wrong.

Little Bytham is DC layout. It dawned on me that I have it a$$ backwards. DC equipped locos hum on DCC layouts, not the other way round.

I am not sure if senility is to blame or the effect of being hurtled along at 300kph on a TGV for three hours on Tuesday. That train was certainly humming!

The good news is that I am now reunited with my work bench and will get back to modelling.

Paul

Parts of Biggleswade live on with one or two very tenuous connections.

The B16/3 in Tony's photos was one of mine. Richard, from our group, once helped a trader friend of ours, at a model railway exhibition in York. Not the show we know today but a smaller one in a BR staff canteen opposite the main door of the NRM. He sold me the DJH kit but the tenuous bit is that the chairs in that canteen had been salvaged form an ex Gresley catering vehicle being converted for departmental use. When the canteen closed the chairs were again salvaged, re-chrome plated and are now in the Gresley buffet owned by the LNERCA on the NYMR.

I also built the Brit in Tony's photos and that was on the KX - Cleethorpes servicde. The loco is still in my loft. Along with most of my locos and some of the other stock. The latter including a double set of Quad Arts. The real ones used to get to Biggleswade once a day, during the off peak! Another tenuous connection, I've seen some of the real quad arts as they were being restored at Carnforth. The workmanship was superb.

I was at Carnforth with NELPG and it was with them 30 or so years ago that I was on a rail tour to Aberdeen behind Union of South Africa. During the layover we went to a model shop in the city. When the proprietor realised that his shop had suddenly filled up with people from the steam hauled train, he shouted "Everything half price until the steamer goes." In the rush I grabbed a Hornby Evening Star. This got rebuilt into 92097, a Tyne Dock 9F including Dave Alexander air pumps and his BR1B tender body.

When Biggleswade got under way the body was replaced and detailed and the tender body was replaced again with another Dave Alexander tender - the BR1F. This is the loco on Tony's photo. It was a remarkable load hauler, particularly since it was a Ringfield motor tender drive with the additional weight of the white metal body. It would haul 40 or 50 16 ton minerals all day and at the end of the show we would put all the mineral wagons we had behind it (in excess of 100) and it waltzed away with the lot, through the up crossover onto the main line. The loco would be in the fiddle yard with brake van still on the slow line. I used to have a bag full of traction tyres in my tool box.

And now that first 9F body, from Aberdeen, as 92097 has been given Comet loco and tender frames with the original Dave Alexander BR1B tender but a new High Level Models motor and gearbox, powering the loco conventionally. It is to be  ready for our new layout - South Pelaw. Due for public release in 2018.

Tony first saw some of the bare baseboards for Biggleswade when he brought Leighford to the Middlesbrough show. We struck up a friendship and he gave us tremendous help and support as we started out as novices on "The Circuit". They were good times.

Finally in these ramblings, Richard and I have both driven a 9F,  92214 on the NYMR  A caged lion behaving like a ######-cat (the 9F, not Richard). What it must have been like working these locos, with a full load, on 1in40 - and another at the back? Awesome. We hope to reproduce a little bit of this, in miniature.

Martin.

Edited by Sugar Palm 60526
  • Like 19

Thanks to all who explained the Biggleswade layout and to Tony for the photos.

I took this brief bit of video of the layout at the Doncaster show in the mid 90s.

Vid is poor quality I was still in junior school when I took it. Or it may have been my dad who took it I cant remember.

I wasnt even going to post the vid its that poor but here it is anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLa77coIgxlMaVnG_xoQ89z-IZCkdlLkpI&v=ewpZCUYmOM0

• Like 3

I think I can stake a claim on the K3, it's March's 61880 cobbled together from a Anchoridge kit powered by a D13 motor, it went like a bomb but couldn't challenge Martin's all conquering 9F in the haulage stakes. My model of the goods shed was largely built in a caravan awning on holiday in Spain at least until all my MekPak evaporated in the heat!

Tony, your memory has served you extremely well on the respective builders of builders and stock. Thanks for reinvigorating our happy memories.

It was a great layout but physically very demanding to exhibit, those like Tony, who knew the conditions that the layout was stored in would echo it. I dont think we ever capitalised fully on its creation, being a small group and very reliant on drafted in labour we couldn't physically manage more than two or three exhibitions a year and layouts seem to have a shelf life measured in years irrespective of how complex, accurate, or how many exhibitions they may or may not have attended.

Richard

• Like 3

I would love to have seen the ' Biggleswade ' model  for myself. It's accuracy is second to none.

Whilst staying with Grandparents near Dunton, I was allowed to catch the bus to Biggleswade

to watch the trains.

One week over two day's all the expresses that hurtled through were diesel hauled, but

one day 'HERMIT', and the other day ' GAY CRUSADER ' were shunting the yard.

At a guess it was early Autumn 1962.

• Like 2

post-18225-0-75372800-1480026652_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-96321200-1480026654_thumb.jpg

Another loco one might wish to see over the weekend running on Grantham at Warley is this ACE P2, built by me and painted by Ian Rathbone. 

It's finally put together at last. The valve gear just did not fit, did not line up and caused a very large number of expletives to be used. I must have made over 250 sets of gear by now, and this took that amount of experience. I ended up substituting a lot of Comet parts - something I should have started with. 

When one has the privilege of having a model painted to this standard it makes me realise why I don't attempt it myself. I'm just not good enough.

When not running on Grantham, it'll be on Ian's demonstration stand at the NEC over the weekend.  

• Like 13

Tony, that P2 is totally drop dead gorgeous. I'm rather gutted I can't come to see it run, as I bet it goes beautifully. Or maybe I did see it run when I last visited? I know I have pictures that you took with the P2 in brass form in the back ground, but I can't remember if it was a working model at the time.

With regards to your previous comments about making things that are less mainstream, I have to agree with you more and more. I'm increasingly drawn to the mundane, workaday locomotives that RTR manufacturers don't make. They can be presented in a pretty grubby state, and somehow usually look all the better for it. A4's, and so on may have grabbed the headlines but there were many other classes just going about their work, probably without much recognition. For some reason I find this fascinating.

I've just placed an order for a London Road Models J3, and also from DJH a C1 and an A1/3 (not decided what it will be, yet). I know that the latter two are available RTR, but I'd rather make them myself, because for a start I like the flexibility to fit my own motor and gearbox, and (if I'm lucky) get a better runner than Mr Hornby or Mr Bachmann. As an aside I'm a little concerned about mashima going out of production, I've come to really appreciate their motors.

Hopefully I'll be able to join in soon and post some photos of my work, sadly I have been inundated with studying for 14 exams and learning about 12000 questions, so modelling time has been very limited.

Many thanks for the continued inspiration, Tony.

Edited by grob1234
  • Like 1