Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Continuing the J6 theme..........

In conversation with Dave Ellis of SE Finecast, the first 'company' build of the revised J6 (ex-Nu-Cast) has taken place. A new and much-improved chassis has been used. Provision will also be made for the earlier series locos. 

I hope to have a kit soon to conduct an independent build, and report accordingly. 

With the J6 not really appearing in any possible RTR lists in the immediate future, I'm sure there'll be a market for a revised and improved cast metal/nickel silver kit. May I ask anyone interested in obtaining a J6 kit to let Dave Ellis at SEF know, please? 

There is the excellent London Road Models kit as an alternative and, of course, Graeme King's resin version, but many folk do like to build cast metal kits. 

Thanks in anticipation.

• RMweb Premium

Continuing the J6 theme..........

In conversation with Dave Ellis of SE Finecast, the first 'company' build of the revised J6 (ex-Nu-Cast) has taken place. A new and much-improved chassis has been used. Provision will also be made for the earlier series locos. 

I hope to have a kit soon to conduct an independent build, and report accordingly. 

With the J6 not really appearing in any possible RTR lists in the immediate future, I'm sure there'll be a market for a revised and improved cast metal/nickel silver kit. May I ask anyone interested in obtaining a J6 kit to let Dave Ellis at SEF know, please? 

There is the excellent London Road Models kit as an alternative and, of course, Graeme King's resin version, but many folk do like to build cast metal kits. 

Thanks in anticipation.

I'll definitely be in the market for one, as I tell Dave every time I see him at a show!

I think that J6's are the archetypal GNR loco. Sadly they did not appear in East Anglia much east of Melton Constable. They look fit for the job and I understand that they were quite speedy. I like them. It is interesting to see the variations on the interpretation of the models shown here. Chaps you are really pushing the envelope here in 4mm and I am getting envious as I cannot make my railway empire stretch to having an indoor system where I can watch trains in comfort, I could readily accommodate an LB in the garage or indeed a similar station on the GE main line. The force is strong and I am trying not to go over to the dark side! (the Hornby B12 is not helping much either!)

Martin Long

• Like 1

post-18225-0-82047100-1484052212_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-37431100-1484052214_thumb.jpg

As promised, images of the latest production Bachmann Thompsons. In this case a BR-built BTK and an LNER-built TK (going on the builders' plates, which are clearly legible), both in BR carmine/cream. Because I helped (in a small way) with the development of these models, I must declare an interest. That done, I think these are superb vehicles. Yes, the moulded-on side handrails and handles on the sides (they're separate on the roof) are there to keep costs within reasonable amounts, but the overall accuracy and standard of finish are exemplary. I haven't looked at what these cost (around £50.00?), but they'll be excellent value for money, whatever. 

They are light years away from the previous Thompsons from the firm and even further away from Hornby's curious Thompson/Mk.1 mix of the '60s. In fact I'd say that these are the finest LNER/ex-LNER gangwayed carriages ever made RTR. 

All my Thompsons are either built from Comet kits or from Southern Pride conversions. Price-wise, the raw materials will be close to the price of the new Bachmann Thompsons. So, what's the future for kit-built 4mm Thompsons? 

A full review of these vehicles will be appearing in BRM (obviously, not written by me). I'll be conducting a few 'improvements' in the next week or two - fitting concertina gangways, changing the couplings, weathering, etc. I'll be writing those up for BRM. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 11

They do look very nice. Is one of them not in fact a BTK?

I'm glad that they are both Third Class variants, rather than composites (are the latter to follow?). One generally needs far more Brake Thirds / Thirds for core* train formations than Brake Comp / Compos.

(*Note my careful use of the word 'core'. We do use a lot of brake composites on the Grantham train formations but they are almost invariably through coaches or through portions.)

As promised, images of the latest production Bachmann Thompsons. In this case a BR-built TK and an LNER-built TK (going on the builders' plates, which are clearly legible), both in BR carmine/cream. Because I helped (in a small way) with the development of these models, I must declare an interest. That done, I think these are superb vehicles. Yes, the moulded-on side handrails and handles on the sides (they're separate on the roof) are there to keep costs within reasonable amounts, but the overall accuracy and standard of finish are exemplary. I haven't looked at what these cost (around £50.00?), but there'll be excellent value for money, whatever. 

I suggested this some years ago after finding the overscale separately mounted grab handles on Hornby's Gresley stock tended to break off. Moulding handles on coaches is perfectly adequate in 4mm scale (IMV) and such coaches should last a lifetime. Thanks for posting......They do look very good.

Below is an etched Thompson brake 3rd that the late John Fozard and I were to have put into production in 2010-11 but we pulled the plug. Try to ignore the overlong corridor connection!  The Bachmann model will be a darn sight less expensive...

post-6680-0-87605600-1484072205_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 8

attachicon.gifBachmann Thompson BTK 01 34-461 01.jpg

attachicon.gifBachmann Thompson TK 34-386 04.jpg

As promised, images of the latest production Bachmann Thompsons. In this case a BR-built TK and an LNER-built TK (going on the builders' plates, which are clearly legible), both in BR carmine/cream. Because I helped (in a small way) with the development of these models, I must declare an interest. That done, I think these are superb vehicles. Yes, the moulded-on side handrails and handles on the sides (they're separate on the roof) are there to keep costs within reasonable amounts, but the overall accuracy and standard of finish are exemplary. I haven't looked at what these cost (around £50.00?), but there'll be excellent value for money, whatever. 

They are light years away from the previous Thompsons from the firm and even further away from Hornby's curious Thompson/Mk.1 mix of the '60s. In fact I'd say that these are the finest LNER/ex-LNER gangwayed carriages ever made RTR. 

All my Thompsons are either built from Comet kits or from Southern Pride conversions. Price-wise, the raw materials will be close to the price of the new Bachmann Thompsons. So, what's the future for kit-built 4mm Thompsons? 

A full review of these vehicles will be appearing in BRM (obviously, not written by me). I'll be conducting a few 'improvements' in the next week or two - fitting concertina gangways, changing the couplings, weathering, etc. I'll be writing those up for BRM. 

good afternoon Tony,

The carriage looks pretty good in the three-quarter view. I'm not keen on the molded on details, but most will be happy. I would probably brass side one if I had the need to purchase

The real star for me is the underframe, It is miles ahead of some other products on the market. The queen posts look to be correctly spaced, the vac cylinders are probably the right size and the cross bracing sits on top of the angle iron as it should. In addition, the step boards have some real depth, this would suggest that the solebars are something like in the correct relation. It's  nice to see the inclusion of the accumulator box, the battery boxes set back from the angle iron and on one side only. The only negative is perhaps the location of the dynamo, it looks a little high.

With regard to the body, as I mentioned the end profile looks good and the gangways look to be the better than the short fat version offered by another manufacturer. However, I think that passengers would trip over the end plate while walking between one carriage and another, so not quite right. Incidentally, the gangways that you remove could be recycled on to any Hornby full brakes or end of rake gangway stock as a better alternative.  One thing that I don't think is correct is the presence of water filler pipes on the brake end, I should really double check.

The roof profile looks good and Special mention must go to the roof ventilators. They don't have that molded on look common to representations of torpedo vents.  Even the roof strip seems to be in the right place.

Finally, the bogies look to be a more accurate version of the 8' 6'' standard type than that previously offered by Bachmann. Generally, well worth the price in my opinion.

You ask what the future of kit built Thompsons will be. I'm not certain if it will make a vast amount of difference, kit built Thompsons are pretty rare on most model railway layouts. The earlier Bachmann offering vastly outnumbers any kit built versions. No doubt they will be consigned to a darkened cupboard or the scrap bin. Some will continue to kit build as is their preference and quite a few will use brass sides. That would certainly be my approach unless Bachmann pulls out a surprise and produces a first rate teak finish. Do you have a shot of the end profile?

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 1

They do look very nice. Is one of them not in fact a BTK?

I'm glad that they are both Third Class variants, rather than composites (are the latter to follow?). One generally needs far more Brake Thirds / Thirds for core* train formations than Brake Comp / Compos.

(*Note my careful use of the word 'core'. We do use a lot of brake composites on the Grantham train formations but they are almost invariably through coaches or through portions.)

Thanks Graham, it is.

Duly altered.

As far as I know, the other carriages offered will be an FK, CK and BCK, to begin with in carmine/cream. No doubt ersatz teak will follow then maroon. Other than the sleepers, the BGs and the rebuilt Buffet cars, I don't think any Thompson gangwayed stock got blue/grey or plain blue. At the moment, no catering cars are to feature, but, if these new cars sell well (and they should), in discussion earlier with Bachmann's team, it's a future possibility. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Roof colours seems to have been forgotten in recent years, in fact I am as guilty of this as anyone. The roof colour to go with carmine & cream was a dark bluish-grey. When maroon was introduced and intended to closely match the pre-war LMs crimson lake, the roof colour was greenish-grey to match the LMS colour that had been in use before Stanier introduced steel roofs. The roof on the Bachmann Thompson would look ideal on a maroon coach in other words. 

good afternoon Tony,

The carriage looks pretty good in the three-quarter view. I'm not keen on the molded on details, but most will be happy. I would probably brass side one if I had the need to purchase

The real star for me is the underframe, It is miles ahead of some other products on the market. The queen posts look to be correctly spaced, the vac cylinders are probably the right size and the cross bracing sits on top of the angle iron as it should. In addition, the step boards have some real depth, this would suggest that the solebars are something like in the correct relation. It's  nice to see the inclusion of the accumulator box, the battery boxes set back from the angle iron and on one side only. The only negative is perhaps the location of the dynamo, it looks a little high.

With regard to the body, as I mentioned the end profile looks good and the gangways look to be the better than the short fat version offered by another manufacturer. However, I think that passengers would trip over the end plate while walking between one carriage and another, so not quite right. Incidentally, the gangways that you remove could be recycled on to any Hornby full brakes or end of rake gangway stock as a better alternative.  One thing that I don't think is correct is the presence of water filler pipes on the brake end, I should really double check.

The roof profile looks good and Special mention must go to the roof ventilators. They don't have that molded on look common to representations of torpedo vents.  Even the roof strip seems to be in the right place.

Finally, the bogies look to be a more accurate version of the 8' 6'' standard type than that previously offered by Bachmann. Generally, well worth the price in my opinion.

You ask what the future of kit built Thompsons will be. I'm not certain if it will make a vast amount of difference, kit built Thompsons are pretty rare on most model railway layouts. The earlier Bachmann offering vastly outnumbers any kit built versions. No doubt they will be consigned to a darkened cupboard or the scrap bin. Some will continue to kit build as is their preference and quite a few will use brass sides. That would certainly be my approach unless Bachmann pulls out a surprise and produces a first rate teak finish. Do you have a shot of the end profile?

Andrew,

End profile, as requested.....

post-18225-0-57187800-1484073090_thumb.jpg

I shan't post any more images of these cars because they're to feature in the magazine. 

With regard to the old Bachmann Thompsons, look out for them now on second-hand stalls in their legions. 

As for kit-built Thompsons, you're probably right, and, at least, though these new cars will no doubt appear now in their numbers on layouts at exhibitions, layouts in the press and private layouts, at least we won't have to look at the ghastly old Bachmann Thompsons. In case readers don't remember what the old Bachmann Thompsons are like, the roof profile is entirely wrong (making the end profile wrong), the ventilators above the compartments are on the centre line of the carriage, not on the centre line of the compartments (as they should be), the sides are battleship thickness, the underframe is awful (with battery boxes on both sides) and the bogies weak in detail. There are other issues with them. As I suggested, these latest Bachmann Thompsons owe nothing to their predecessors. I suppose some (quite rightly; it is their choice) will retain them, if only because the replacement costs might be prohibitive. 

Even with the new Thompsons, to make fully-representative trains, some kit-building (at least for the moment) will be necessary to make any catering cars. As I mentioned in an earlier post, these could well be on the (distant) horizon. Even then, brass-sided cars do have a quality which no plastic-sided carriage can yet equal in my opinion. 

post-18225-0-85746400-1484073093_thumb.jpg

This BCK was built by Alan Buckenham from a Comet kit for the late Geoff Brewin. I think it's rather fine. 

post-18225-0-19847500-1484073092_thumb.jpg

He also built this Pantry Second from (I think) modified Southern Pride sides and Comet components, again for Geoff. In helping find new homes for models from Geoff's estate, I sold this to Robert Carroll. I did point out the slight anomaly regarding the BR roundel being between the branding rather than beneath it, but it's still a fine car.

post-18225-0-28674600-1484073095_thumb.jpg

As is this RF, which I bought from the same source. Like the Pantry Second, it should really run on HD bogies, but Comet doesn't do them, and the branding is also slightly incorrect. Nevertheless, I'm more than happy to run it in one of my Talisman rakes, along with my Southern Pride RSO.

Thompson's carriages always receive a much better press than his locos. They were very elegant in their simplicity of design and, as expected, rode very well.

Does anyone else have pictures of models of Thompson carriages, please?   

• Like 2

I suggested this some years ago after finding the overscale separately mounted grab handles on Hornby's Gresley stock tended to break off. Moulding handles on coaches is perfectly adequate in 4mm scale (IMV) and such coaches should last a lifetime. Thanks for posting......They do look very good.

Below is an etched Thompson brake 3rd that the late John Fozard and I were to have put into production in 2010-11 but we pulled the plug. Try to ignore the overlong corridor connection!  The Bachmann model will be a darn sight less expensive...

attachicon.gifWEB Thompson bk 3rd.jpg

Thanks Larry,

I entirely rest my case with regard to claiming that no plastic-sided model will ever match that of a brass-sided one in terms of finish. 

Yours is, quite simply, superlative!

Edited by Tony Wright

As far as I know, the other carriages offered will be an FK, CK and BCK, to begin with in carmine/cream. No doubt ersatz teak will follow then maroon. Other than the sleepers, the BGs and the rebuilt Buffet cars, I don't think any Thompson gangwayed stock got blue/grey or plain blue. At the moment, no catering cars are to feature, but, if these new cars sell well (and they should), in discussion earlier with Bachmann's team, it's a future possibility. 

Now then, I'm probably going to display horrible ignorance in such matters, but I'm vaguely aware that the window profile was altered on the Thompson coaches from square corners to rounded corners (as per Mk1s) to alleviate corrosion problems. Was this wholesale or just certain vehicles? And if so, does this affect which vehicles can appear in maroon or blue/grey? (noting that the two shown above are square cornered)

Andrew,

End profile, as requested.....

attachicon.gifBachmann Thompson TK 34-386 03.jpg

I shan't post any more images of these cars because they're to feature in the magazine. 

With regard to the old Bachmann Thompsons, look out for them now on second-hand stalls in their legions. 

As for kit-built Thompsons, you're probably right, and, at least, though these new cars will no doubt appear now in their numbers on layouts at exhibitions, layouts in the press and private layouts, at least we won't have to look at the ghastly old Bachmann Thompsons. In case readers don't remember what the old Bachmann Thompsons are like, the roof profile is entirely wrong (making the end profile wrong), the ventilators above the compartments are on the centre line of the carriage, not on the centre line of the compartments (as they should be), the sides are battleship thickness, the underframe is awful (with battery boxes on both sides) and the bogies weak in detail. There are other issues with them. As I suggested, these latest Bachmann Thompsons owe nothing to their predecessors. I suppose some (quite rightly; it is their choice) will retain them, if only because the replacement costs might be prohibitive. 

Even with the new Thompsons, to make fully-representative trains, some kit-building (at least for the moment) will be necessary to make any catering cars. As I mentioned in an earlier post, these could well be on the (distant) horizon. Even then, brass-sided cars do have a quality which no plastic-sided carriage can yet equal in my opinion. 

attachicon.gifThompson BCK.jpg

This BCK was built by Alan Buckenham from a Comet kit for the late Geoff Brewin. I think it's rather fine. 

attachicon.gifPantry Third.jpg

He also built this Pantry Second from (I think) modified Southern Pride sides and Comet components, again for Geoff. In helping find new homes for models from Geoff's estate, I sold this to Robert Carroll. I did point out the slight anomaly regarding the BR roundel being between the branding rather than beneath it, but it's still a fine car.

attachicon.gifTrains 04D The Afternoon Talisman catering cars.jpg

As is this RF, which I bought from the same source. Like the Pantry Second, it should really run on HD bogies, but Comet doesn't do them, and the branding is also slightly incorrect. Nevertheless, I'm more than happy to run it in one of my Talisman rakes, along with my Southern Pride RSO.

Thompson's carriages always receive a much better press than his locos. They were very elegant in their simplicity of design and, as expected, rode very well.

Does anyone else have pictures of models of Thompson carriages, please?   

Tony,

many thanks for posting up the end profile, it looks very good. The distinctive bulge towards the bottom has been captured to a T. I must say that your own Thompson's look pretty fantastic, they are probably responsible for my own fiddlings with bits of brass and carriages in the first place. Your fault I'm afraid.

With regard to the BR blue / grey, I recall seeing a couple of Thompson Sleeping cars in that livery. There was a pair of them being used as staff accommodation at the Worth Valley Railway. Sadly, I believe they have long since departed for the scrap yard due to the asbestos scare of the 1970's.

Tony,

many thanks for posting up the end profile, it looks very good. The distinctive bulge towards the bottom has been captured to a T. I must say that your own Thompson's look pretty fantastic, they are probably responsible for my own fiddlings with bits of brass and carriages in the first place. Your fault I'm afraid.

With regard to the BR blue / grey, I recall seeing a couple of Thompson Sleeping cars in that livery. There was a pair of them being used as staff accommodation at the Worth Valley Railway. Sadly, I believe they have long since departed for the scrap yard due to the asbestos scare of the 1970's.

..... and one at the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway - also long gone.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Tony

Your latest posting on the 02 brings me to admit that I recently bought a (rather special) ready to run locomotive.  The full story is on my blog here.

My reason for posting here is that, while I am totally committed to build 0 Gauge locos for the foreseeable future, along with finishing off some 4mm 00 gauge models, an opportunity came up to acquire an heirloom.  Actually it isn't an heirloom yet, at least not until I pass on, but that is the intention.  Put simply, I converted a small inheritance into something I will enjoy and I hope others will as well.

But my post here is not supposed to be a duplicate of the blog posting, but rather to compare and contrast the two locomotives currently in my 7mm scale roster, and how I feel about them.  Here they are, one immaculate, the other not quite ready but close enough:

attachicon.gifDSC_4106.jpg

First the Jubilee:

Lee Marsh designed and marketed, Korean built, straight out of the box, DCC and sound installed, etc.  Runs as it should, beautifully.

I love it, but then what is not to love?  But I didn't make it, but then I really doubt if I could make it and I totally admire the British design team and the Korean manufacturer's efforts.  Would I modify it or weather it?  No way!  It is what it is and it always will be.

Next the Jinty (or Dobbin in this case):

Connoisseur kit, built by me, run in and yesterday fitted with DCC sound (by me, I am a one man band down here in Lengadoc).  Runs well, needs some tweaking on the DCC side (8 chuffs per axle rotation is not exactly right!)  Geared as a shunting engine should be, will never win a race but will look its part when all the little finishing touches have been applied.  I am very pleased with it.  If I built another one I would do a few things differently.  I will weather it eventually as newer creations come on shed - the next one is either a 4F 0-6-0 or an LMS Compound.  What is it worth to me?  Think of the MasterCard advert!

The two are almost as different as chalk and cheese, even their LMS lineage is different, but they are both mine and they look the part, temporarily parked by the in progress 60ft Ransomes and Raleigh turntable kit.

Where did you get the turntable kit? I've been searching everywhere for one.

Now then, I'm probably going to display horrible ignorance in such matters, but I'm vaguely aware that the window profile was altered on the Thompson coaches from square corners to rounded corners (as per Mk1s) to alleviate corrosion problems. Was this wholesale or just certain vehicles? And if so, does this affect which vehicles can appear in maroon or blue/grey? (noting that the two shown above are square cornered)

All the original Thompson corridor stock was built with square-cornered windows (other than the oval windows). By the time the last ones were being built by BR in the early-'50s, problems of corrosion in the corners was being experienced. Thus, the last of the types built had radiused corners to the windows. I believe some of the earlier ones were fitted with replacement windows with radiused corners, or they had a sort of beading strip round the edges. 

All Thompsons carriages suffered from body-rot of some form or another, both internally and externally. The PV stock with covered solebars was particularly susceptible to this on the lower panels. 

Tony,

Thanks Andrew,

Though you're right in pointing out that I own the Thompson cars featured in the pictures (with one exception) and those on LB, many of them were built by other people. I've built many, but I would hate folk to get the impression that they're all my own work. It's not just the couple built by Alan Buckenham, but also those built by Tony Geary and John Houlden. 

Oh, and I'm very happy to take the blame for being (at least in part) responsible for your own 'fiddlings'. I wish I could fiddle that well. 

Edited by Tony Wright

I'm just about to embark on my first Comet chassis build and have watched some of Tony's video (need to watch the rest of it) and started reading  the Rice book on chassis construction as well as reading things in other places as well.

I have a question which I hope people don't mind answering. I've read and seen both broaches and reamers being talked about and used, do I need reamers, broaches, both and if so what are the best sizes to buy for building 00 gauge chassis? I'm aware of how useful they can be and want to buy some for when I tackle my first chassis once the garage warms up!

Many thanks 

Martyn

I'm just about to embark on my first Comet chassis build and have watched some of Tony's video (need to watch the rest of it) and started reading  the Rice book on chassis construction as well as reading things in other places as well.

I have a question which I hope people don't mind answering. I've read and seen both broaches and reamers being talked about and used, do I need reamers, broaches, both and if so what are the best sizes to buy for building 00 gauge chassis? I'm aware of how useful they can be and want to buy some for when I tackle my first chassis once the garage warms up!

Many thanks 

Martyn

A set of jeweller's broaches are very handy for preparing holes in etched sheets-actually you only need one or two, but they are usually sold in sets.  A 1/8" reamer is useful for axle hole alignment and a smal taper reamer-say 2-4mm can be useful.

Where did you get the turntable kit? I've been searching everywhere for one.

Dave Smith at Midland Railway Centre in Kettering is your man, both 4mm and 7mm. They are as difficult as an etched brass locomotive to build, perhaps more so, but the end result is worth the effort.

Mine is working but not quite finished, with DCC control. If you can afford it I would go for the stepping motor option, I wish I had. But the belt drive works well with DCC control.