Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Many thanks to Tony and Mo for their hospitality yesterday. Much appreciated and hopefully I'll make less of a mess of pick-ups going forward and a charity has suitably benefited. Once I have them working in DC, I'll convert to the dreaded DCC.... Interesting to see the evolution of Little Bytham over the year or so between my visits.

.attachicon.giflittle bytham.jpg

attachicon.giflb may 2017.jpg

On the pictures, in the first of the two posts, Picture 3 looks like the bridge is the far one in picture 5

David

Thanks David,

You're absolutely spot-on. It is the same bridge, so just north of Hatfield. 

Thanks, too, to all those who are responding. 

It's very gratifying to see the progress made on LB in the 12 months between your visits. It shows what can be achieved when mates pool resources. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Can't really help with the locations, but I did enjoy looking at the stock in the ones which show trains. In the first, we must be not long into the BR era as there's not a steel bodied wagon in sight. The train to the left has the marvellous variation in wagon heights which is so characteristic of trains of the wooden wagon/private owner era. It seems to be a mixture of minerals and opens - I'd have suggested a train of empties, but two of them clearly aren't empty. Some of the former owners' initials can almost be made out: I don't know the second from the left (M C?), but the one next to it was Stephenson Clarke. On the extreme right, the curved name of the owner can be seen but not made out and (I think) in the lower left hand end of the side, the name has been painted on again in small letters, this being done during wartime when there was still an intention of returning wagons to their owners. The loco on that right hand train doesn't look very LNER to me.

The second is after the tide of 16 tonners has started to wash over the railways, but there's variety there too - a 5 plank open, an ex-LNER tube wagon and what looks like a 21 tonner a couple of wagons from the bridge?

The wagons parked (I assume) in a siding loaded with crates are also interesting. All sorts pressed into service here - 5 plank, 7 plank, a mineral with the top planks cut out for goods use, one of the cupboard door SNCF minerals further along(?), some 16 tonners with the top doors missing(?), what must be a 1 plank or Lowfit just before the bridge... Is it possible to make out any of the markings on the crates on the original, it would be interesting to know what they were carrying.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The wagons parked (I assume) in a siding loaded with crates are also interesting. All sorts pressed into service here - 5 plank, 7 plank, a mineral with the top planks cut out for goods use, one of the cupboard door SNCF minerals further along(?), some 16 tonners with the top doors missing(?), what must be a 1 plank or Lowfit just before the bridge... Is it possible to make out any of the markings on the crates on the original, it would be interesting to know what they were carrying.

The mineral (and other) wagons loaded with crates look like the traffic that originated in the sidings on the Up side north of Oakleigh Park station; crated Vauxhall cars or car parts were loaded there and tripped to London Docks for export.  That would put the picture as south of Oakleigh Park (with the wagons possibly passing on the Up Slow) and it looks familiar but I can't quite pin it down; I suppose it is possible that similar traffic went all the way from Luton on rail but I've never seen any references to that.

What a difference the backscene has made at LB! 

Thanks Neil,

Backscenes can make or ruin a model railway in my opinion. I think mine is still a trifle too intense, so I'll probably tone it down a little bit (adding a thin white wash over the colours).

post-18225-0-12695000-1494362980_thumb.jpg 

post-18225-0-88372900-1494362982_thumb.jpg

Seeing the overall view posted by David (Clearwater), I thought I'd take a couple of snaps this evening to show progress to date. The new van can be seen in the top shot and the new A1 and A4 I've built are off to be painted soon. The wooden dwellings' gardens now have more detail and the stationmaster has erected a greenhouse and has done some planting. 

Why do I keep on postponing my making of the point rodding? 

• Like 9

attachicon.gif03A.jpg

attachicon.gif03B.jpg

On a six-track section but where exactly? Near Stevenage? 

attachicon.gif04A.jpg

attachicon.gif04B.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is Hatfield. Am I right, please? 

Tony,

Just to confirm that these two bridges are indeed just north of Hatfield station (OS square TL 2309.

The first two show the Great North Road overbridge (later the A1000). The first view looking north and the road view NW.

The other two show the next bridge further south, carrying St Albans Road East over the line; the B6426.

Again the rail view is looking north (note the St Albans branch curving away to the left). The road view (looking west) was taken the same day; note the linesmen working on the telegraph wires in both pictures.

Regards,

Peter

G'Day Gents

No 5 is, looking north Hatfield (the arch bridge, is that the one that fell down ??) some of the '6' track are between Hatfield and Welwyn G.C. others are Brookmans Park and Potters Bar.

manna AKA Terry.

Re the bridges... I think 3A is Wrestlers Bridge in Hatfield with 4A viewing the same bridge in the distance with London Road Bridge at the south end of Hatfield Station in the foreground. The line veering to the left beyond the bridge could be the Hatfield St Albans branch.

Steve

www.gnrsociety.com

Brand new D411 & D412 on Crewe works.1T60 was the test train they hauled over Shap to Carlisle.

Brit15

I've been away and off the 'net for a fortnight so I'm a wee bit slow responding to Apollo's photos and comments. Anyway having said that, my recollection is that 1T60 went as far north as Penrith, returning from there, as did the Crewe built Brush Type 4s prior to that.

• RMweb Premium

Point rodding is a real pain in the behind...all the parts are available its just getting the correct bits in the correct order in the right place is the real problem! 

More requests, please.

With the death of Paul Anderson, Irwell's expert on bridges is no more. So, though very much second-best, it's fallen my way to comment on such matters for the publishers. 

All of these shots (as far as I know) were taken in the late-'50s, south of Peterborough on the ECML. Any comments as to locations, structures and so on will be gratefully appreciated. There are no notes, no dates and no actual locations. 

attachicon.gif01.jpg

Looking south at Fletton? The loco looks rather old, so date might be earlier.

attachicon.gif02.jpg

No idea on this one, assuming it is ECML.

attachicon.gif03A.jpg

attachicon.gif03B.jpg

On a six-track section but where exactly? Near Stevenage? 

attachicon.gif04A.jpg

attachicon.gif04B.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is Hatfield. Am I right, please? 

attachicon.gif05.jpg

Between Brookmans Park and Potters Bar?

attachicon.gif06A.jpg

attachicon.gif06B.jpg

Brookmans Park?

attachicon.gif07.jpg

Another six-track section, but where? 

1st one Abbots Ripton, as possibly is the last one?

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

Gents

A while back I posted that I had some files of drawings which were collected by a deceased friend over many years. The LNWR and LMS files have been spoken for but I still have a file for the SR and constituents and, of course the GW.  If anyone would like these please PM me with you address and I will send them on in the hope that they may be of use/interest.

Those latest shots of LB with the sky etc are just wonderful. They evoke memories of a time when things seemed to be better though we were materially worse off and allegedly 4 minutes away from annihilation. I really feel despite that we were more content and happier (even though I never got the Dublo Duchess!)

Thanks for the inspiration

Martin Long

• RMweb Premium

Point rodding is a real pain in the behind...all the parts are available its just getting the correct bits in the correct order in the right place is the real problem

All my modelling's like that.

I was going out for a bike ride this morning so went in the direction of Hatfield. I took a camera, but as I did not intend to make it a scientific study I did not take a note book. I have managed to clear up a few points by doing a photographic now and then. However I have managed to confuse myself regarding some of the locations. If there is any interest in digging deeper I am willing to make a more detailed visit, if given specific questions. The line is well fenced, with spear fencing leaving very narrow gaps. There is also dense vegetation. Not to mention much new building both commercial and residential which makes access even more difficult.

To start with an easy one. Hatfield, bridge on the B6426 near the A1000.

post-149-0-58827000-1494440445.jpg

Then Hawkshead Lane. New bridge decking but the angle is the same.

post-149-0-92545600-1494440563.jpg

Welham Green.

post-149-0-94558100-1494440484.jpg

Brookman's Park

post-149-0-30659400-1494440495.jpg

While in the area I called in at the memorial garden. Photos included for those not familiar with the scene. Sadly even here vandals are to be found.

post-149-0-72997100-1494440459.jpg

post-149-0-55712800-1494440471.jpg

Bernard

• Like 3

I was going out for a bike ride this morning so went in the direction of Hatfield. I took a camera, but as I did not intend to make it a scientific study I did not take a note book. I have managed to clear up a few points by doing a photographic now and then. However I have managed to confuse myself regarding some of the locations. If there is any interest in digging deeper I am willing to make a more detailed visit, if given specific questions. The line is well fenced, with spear fencing leaving very narrow gaps. There is also dense vegetation. Not to mention much new building both commercial and residential which makes access even more difficult.

To start with an easy one. Hatfield, bridge on the B6426 near the A1000.

attachicon.gifDSC_0903.JPG

Then Hawkshead Lane. New bridge decking but the angle is the same.

attachicon.gifDSC_0922.JPG

Welham Green.

attachicon.gifDSC_0914.JPG

Brookman's Park

attachicon.gifDSC_0916.JPG

While in the area I called in at the memorial garden. Photos included for those not familiar with the scene. Sadly even here vandals are to be found.

attachicon.gifDSC_0906.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0910.JPG

Bernard

Thanks Bernard,

That's most helpful. I'll sort out some specific questions for you, if that's all right? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Gents

A while back I posted that I had some files of drawings which were collected by a deceased friend over many years. The LNWR and LMS files have been spoken for but I still have a file for the SR and constituents and, of course the GW.  If anyone would like these please PM me with you address and I will send them on in the hope that they may be of use/interest.

Those latest shots of LB with the sky etc are just wonderful. They evoke memories of a time when things seemed to be better though we were materially worse off and allegedly 4 minutes away from annihilation. I really feel despite that we were more content and happier (even though I never got the Dublo Duchess!)

Thanks for the inspiration

Martin Long

Thanks Martin,

The sky is just the same colour as it is in my backscene, extended up in Photoshop to take out the curtains and roof trusses. If left in, these items are obtrusive. 

Thanks Bernard,

That's most helpful. I'll sort out some specific questions for you, if that's all right? 

Regards,

Tony. 

You are most welcome.

If I have an aim it helps to get me out and keep active.

It was just by Brookman's Park that I last saw an A4 in proper action back around 1962 so fond memories of a spot I passed today.

Bernard

Thanks Stewart,

I thought of Abbots Ripton, but there appear to be too many tracks. 

Don't forget that on the Down side, there was a trailing connection in from RAF (USAF?) Alconbury, with a sliding panel in the wooden fence. I've spent many happy hours trainspotting by that pub, in Grandad's car.

Stewart

attachicon.gif08B.jpg

attachicon.gif08C.jpg

Potters Bar, after the widenings? 

M

Tony,

Yes, this is the overbridge south of Potters Bar carrying Mutton Lane (then the B650); OS square TL 2501.

The first view is looking north west, whilst the street view is to the east.

Regards,

Peter

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

attachicon.gif08B.jpg

attachicon.gif08C.jpg

Potters Bar, after the widenings? 

M

Tony,

Yes, this is the overbridge south of Potters Bar carrying Mutton Lane (then the B650); OS square TL 2501.

The first view is looking north west, whilst the street view is to the east.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter,

With all the help on things like this, it should make my captioning of pictures for BRILL much more accurate and informative. 

Can anyone think of a better way of spending retirement than just writing captions for some splendid pictures? I can't.

post-18225-0-74138800-1494453268_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-58386500-1494453270_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-81365200-1494453272_thumb.jpg

And, what about these? 120 size negatives taken in the early '50s north of York. But, where exactly? Beningborough? Near Sessay? Anyone like to guess at the carriages in that splendid rake behind the A2/2 in the first picture? Or the wagons in the second one? Or the ex-LMS rake in the third - a Liverpool-Newcastle train, perhaps?

How marvellously-interesting our railways were over 60 years ago (when I were just a boy). Anyone taken pictures in that location today? 

I'll make sure all who've helped will be credited when the article(s) are published. 

My most grateful thanks in anticipation. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter,

With all the help on things like this, it should make my captioning of pictures for BRILL much more accurate and informative. 

Can anyone think of a better way of spending retirement than just writing captions for some splendid pictures? I can't.

attachicon.gifYork #1191.jpg

attachicon.gifYork #1192.jpg

attachicon.gifYork #1193.jpg

And, what about these? 120 size negatives taken in the early '50s north of York. But, where exactly? Beningborough? Near Sessay? Anyone like to guess at the carriages in that splendid rake behind the A2/2 in the first picture? Or the wagons in the second one? Or the ex-LMS rake in the third - a Liverpool-Newcastle train, perhaps?

How marvellously-interesting our railways were over 60 years ago (when I were just a boy). Anyone taken pictures in that location today? 

I'll make sure all who've helped will be credited when the article(s) are published. 

My mo

Thanks Peter,

My most grateful thanks in ant

Thanks Peter,

My most grateful thanks in anticipation. 

It is amazing how different a V2 looks with a GC (I assume that is what it is) tender!