Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Unlined black power units and plain dull Stratford brown coaches would be cheap and serviceable....

Or instead of wasting money on yet another round of gaudy, designed by a child, not in sympathy with the shape of the vehicle, multi-colour re-livery jobs before re-paints are actually needed, just run off some highly adhesive patches to go over the existing revolting emblems with a simple "LNER".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unlined black power units and plain dull Stratford brown coaches would be cheap and serviceable....

Or instead of wasting money on yet another round of gaudy, designed by a child, not in sympathy with the shape of the vehicle, multi-colour re-livery jobs before re-paints are actually needed, just run off some highly adhesive patches to go over the existing revolting emblems with a simple "LNER".

Didn't they do that once before with stickers over the previous branding.   I can't remember which particular change that was after there have been so many.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

These modern companies have no sense of history.  Why not brown and salmon for South West Trains?

Bill

Or maroon with gold and black lining for Midland Main Line.

Jamie

. . . . just run off some highly adhesive patches to go over the existing revolting emblems with a simple "LNER".

That's what some companies do when they change, although I do find some of the modern liveries and logos/emblems rather inventive and refreshing, certainly not revolting and a lot more interesting than a simple 'LNER' moniker.

G

Maybe not, but they are operating in today's hectic world rather than some dreamy historic period idyll.

T

I would have though life was much more hectic back then. 

How many people would have had time to spend half their day modelling, travelling or looking at a website about trains?

Jason

I would have though life was much more hectic back then. 

How many people would have had time to spend half their day modelling, travelling or looking at a website about trains?

Passenger numbers up, more maintenance required to replace and upgrade crumbling railway infrastructure, higher expectation on performance, greater demand for everything from a larger population, less dependence on the state, and so on, so far more hectic now for those that work and commute.

The reason some people now have more leisure time is because life expectancy has massively increased meaning once you get to retirement you have more years of it to enjoy, model and look at the website. Thankfully.

G

That's what some companies do when they change, although I do find some of the modern liveries and logos/emblems rather inventive and refreshing, certainly not revolting and a lot more interesting than a simple 'LNER' moniker.

G

The Scotrail livery is fixed, with only a small label being replaced when/if the operator changes. Seems like a sensible idea.

Edited by sulzer27jd

Good morning Tony

If you recall, I presented you with a malfunctioning King Arthur at Glasgow. You poked and prodded it and diagnosed a split main gear (despite not being able to get into the gearbox), before kindly speaking to Simon Kohler to see about getting Hornby to sort it out. I have just received the engine back from Hornby, in perfect working order, and on the works slip is noted the replacement of a split main gear. Your skills as a diagnostician are to be commended!

Many thanks,

Gavin

Good afternoon Gavin,

I think I'm more skilled at plagiarism than diagnostics. I had a similar loco brought to me at Stevenage and puzzled over what might be the problem. Baz Oliver told me the cause (not uncommon), so thanks should go to him. 

Thanks should also go to Simon Kohler for first-class service on behalf of Hornby. It's great that he's back with the firm. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I have no sympathy, you would pick the ECML as a subject. You could have gone for a branch line in the back of beyond, with one train a year and a sheep. Even the mighty LB is only really scratching the surface of the ECML. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much, There are many more hours of enjoyment (and admittedly sometimes frustration) gained from the hobby out of the research and the making of things rather than the actual running of trains. For me, the latter forms an important but relativly small part of the whole. It may be that for most folk the opposite is the case. Having broken my tenth piece of chain, over the last three evenings, on these horrible little Conflats, I can see the meit in that point of view.

Andrew,

Why is there only one 'agree' button? 

The research and the making of things (however clumsily at times) is essential for my enjoyment of the hobby. Take the personal making of things away (for whatever reasons) and I'd no longer be a participant.

Regards,

Tony. 

I've just been looking through my emails/PMs on returning from France, and have been astonished by two donations made to Cancer Research (money being deposited in our account). One of the 'givers' (£50.00) is a regular contributor to this thread, and the other is an RMweb member. I'll not reveal their identities, but they know who they are. May I offer my most grateful thanks? Especially as I had a very kind 'thank you' letter from CR on the doormat on our return, in response to Mo's and my latest cheque. 

The generosity of the human spirit would appear to be alive and well.

Thanks once again.

Tony. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Not only that, the owner has donated over two dozen items of surplus rolling stock for Mo and me to sell on behalf of Cancer Research. I'm OO-ing them (is there such a word?) to make them more sale-able. I'll keep viewers posted. 

Try selling them as is, they come from an impeccable source, and there are people who model something other than narrow gauge believe it or not, you might be surprised, but then again, I could have shot myself in the foot!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Try selling them as is, they come from an impeccable source, and there are people who model something other than narrow gauge believe it or not, you might be surprised, but then again, I could have shot myself in the foot!

Mike.

strangely enough EM stock and locos don't sell as well as OO second hand wise... not sure why this happens.

Tony, glad to hear you are back.."sir" says I might be able to see the splendid photographs you took!

And many thanks for delivering some of these..

fitted

post-7650-0-91048200-1526665092_thumb.jpg

and unfitted

post-7650-0-50316200-1526665115_thumb.jpg

Baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Mike.

Or perhaps advertise them as EM initially, but with optional conversion to 00 thrown in should the purchases prefer - that should increase the customer base :)

Carlisle citadel looks like a truly fantastic piece of work. I barely dare to ask (and will do so in a whisper): is this cheque book modelling? If so, I'm all in favour of it.

It sometimes occurs to me that you might ask people who view your dvds on youtube, for which, if I recall, you do not receive royalties, if they would consider making a donation to Cancer Research in lieu of the payment they would have made to buy the dvd. I'd certainly be very happy to, if you ask someone to set up a paypal account over which payments can be made (or else I can just donate to the Irish Cancer Society over here.)

Best wishes,

Alan

(Who spends too many nights working until after midnight and who, as a result, has no modelling to show. :cry:)

• Like 3

(Slightly) premature congratulations on the 1000 page milestone you have collectively achieved and Tony's efforts to support Cancer Research. It may seem miserly to value this topic at 5p per page but I've sent that value (plus gift aid) to Cancer Research with the choice for it to go towards pancreatic cancer research from which we lost my brother-in-law last summer. Even valued at a penny a page for the time spent reading it could raise a worthwhile amount if anyone else wishes to mark the event?

• Like 9

Andrew,

Why is there only one 'agree' button? 

The research and the making of things (however clumsily at times) is essential for my enjoyment of the hobby. Take the personal making of things away (for whatever reasons) and I'd no longer be a participant.

Regards,

Tony. 

Evening Tony,

I would add that observation and conversation of other peoples personal work is another enjoyable aspect of the hobby, one that is only enhanced if you are a maker yourself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

(Slightly) premature congratulations on the 1000 page milestone you have collectively achieved and Tony's efforts to support Cancer Research. It may seem miserly to value this topic at 5p per page but I've sent that value (plus gift aid) to Cancer Research with the choice for it to go towards pancreatic cancer research from which we lost my brother-in-law last summer. Even valued at a penny a page for the time spent reading it could raise a worthwhile amount if anyone else wishes to mark the event?

Well done Andy.

That's a nice idea Andy, and I've taken the suggestion. (I say this not to boast - I should have done it long ago - but to perhaps encourage others, and also so that Tony can add it to his tally of money raised and know that this thread has had a positive impact outside the railway modelling world, to add to the inspiration it provides within it.)

Alan

(Edited to say thanks, Tony, for all the fish encouragement, inspiration and entertainment.)

Edited by islandbridgejct
  • Like 6

Hello all

Approx 1000 pages in five and a half years, may I pass on my congratulations to all on here and that I expect to see you all here in another five and a half years all hail and hearty and producing and writing to the high standards you have already set.

Probably the best thread on any forum anywhere on models railways....

Regards

• Like 3

Mike.

It's a good idea Mike, but some of the items are re-gauged RTR. 

That's not to diminish the generosity of the donation - not at all, for there were some very nice kit-built things as well.

It's just that, almost by definition, anyone modelling in EM is doing just that - 'modelling' in EM. The usual EM modeller makes/modifies things for themselves, and doesn't normally rely on others. 

Anyway, I re-gauged some 20 items, Mo and I took several to the Ely show today, made a load for CR and came back with very few carriages (thanks to Jonathan for buying the remaining wagons, and to all those who bought things). May I also thank the organisers of the show and all Ely MRC members for making us so welcome? It really was a first-class event. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

Carlisle citadel looks like a truly fantastic piece of work. I barely dare to ask (and will do so in a whisper): is this cheque book modelling? If so, I'm all in favour of it.

It sometimes occurs to me that you might ask people who view your dvds on youtube, for which, if I recall, you do not receive royalties, if they would consider making a donation to Cancer Research in lieu of the payment they would have made to buy the dvd. I'd certainly be very happy to, if you ask someone to set up a paypal account over which payments can be made (or else I can just donate to the Irish Cancer Society over here.)

Best wishes,

Alan

(Who spends too many nights working until after midnight and who, as a result, has no modelling to show. :cry:)

Alan,

There's no need to whisper at all - indeed, rejoice (loudly) in a project like Carlisle, however it's achieved. Many professional model-makers have contributed to it, and have been paid (by cheque, or any other means - though that's really none of my business).

The owner and his wife have contributed in no small way, particularly in the scenic work, but even if one were the 'universal' modeller, no lifetime, however long, would be enough to build such a giant layout single-handed.

What I think should be clarified is that at all times mention is made of the work of others. Nobody is under the illusion that it's (all) the work of the owner, but this is not always the case with 'chequebook' modelling. I'm not saying folk tell lies when their modelling is done by others, but readers sometimes assume that it is, largely by omission. 

At the risk of labouring a point, that's why I insist that any work done by others on Little Bytham is always acknowledged. Otherwise, it's disingenuous and unfair. 

As for people making donations to CR, may I leave that up to them, please? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited to remove tautology!

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1