Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Frank, that's a great idea for future builds. How's Clayton coming on?

Thanks Mike (and Dave). I'll go with the thicker piano wire (0.8mm or 0.9mm) for my problem ones as they're already in situ. Where do you normally source it? Don't tell me... a piano shop?. Do normal music shops stock it? BTW Carlisle looks magnificent!

Clem

Hi,

Piano wire is available from Eileen's Emporium.

Regards

Simon

Good evening Tony,

Sorry for taking the topic briefly off at a tangent but I wanted to share my first attempt at soldering up my own track which I hope to eventually build my fiddle yard out of.

post-943-0-46217100-1528580645_thumb.jpg

It is all a bit rough and ready. As I don't own any track gauges, I used my calipers to set the track gauge and check rail spacings. However, I do own a filing jig that I got for building the Finetrax turnout kits for the scenic section. Surprisingly, it this test piece works with the test wagon passing through smoothly.

• Like 16

^^^  I presume the fourth picture is distorted in some way otherwise the cab has taken a heck of a bash. The loco doesn't seem to be off the rails?

Pity you can't read the numbers on most, the top one could well be ex Annesley having a 1F tender, the bottom one has taken a knock around the front buffer beam as well

Lovely atmospheric photos, real giants of steam just as I remember them.

Being the biggest and most impressive locos I saw regularly, probably my favourites

I've never noticed that before - quite interesting ! Perhaps a negative / scanner fault I don't recall. long, long time ago !!

If it's real, take a lump hammer to your prized 9F !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I loved the old steam sheds towards the end. Atmosphere you could chew !!

Brit15

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening Tony,

Sorry for taking the topic briefly off at a tangent but I wanted to share my first attempt at soldering up my own track which I hope to eventually build my fiddle yard out of.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It is all a bit rough and ready. As I don't own any track gauges, I used my calipers to set the track gauge and check rail spacings. However, I do own a filing jig that I got for building the Finetrax turnout kits for the scenic section. Surprisingly, it this test piece works with the test wagon passing through smoothly.

Very nice Steve. I suggest you just pop one more timber in to support the tip of the vee.

Very nice Steve. I suggest you just pop one more timber in to support the tip of the vee.

Thanks St Enodoc,

I was wondering about this but, as this turnout is simply a proof of concept model, I'll probably leave this one as it is and make such an amendment for the next couple. I'm thinking of making a short test track so that I can run some locomotives through a couple of turnouts to ensure that all really does work as it should - that would also give me some practical experience of using the servos I'm planning to use on Hadley Wood.

• Like 3

Thanks Frank, that's a great idea for future builds. How's Clayton coming on?

Clem

Hi Clem,

Thanks for asking.  Clayton is, as expected, a long term project for which we are now 4.5 years into what I expect to be a minimum of an 8 year project.   I don't think about getting to the end, just getting to the next significant milestone and for Clayton the latest milestone achieved last week was laying the last piece of track in the fiddle yard.  The next milestone will be completing the electrics of which only the control panels have been wired so far. 

We have a Clayton blog on RM Web and you can keep up to date at the following page: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125725-clayton/

Regards,

Frank

• Like 1

Hi Clem,

Thanks for asking.  Clayton is, as expected, a long term project for which we are now 4.5 years into what I expect to be a minimum of an 8 year project.   I don't think about getting to the end, just getting to the next significant milestone and for Clayton the latest milestone achieved last week was laying the last piece of track in the fiddle yard.  The next milestone will be completing the electrics of which only the control panels have been wired so far. 

We have a Clayton blog on RM Web and you can keep up to date at the following page: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125725-clayton/

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank, Thanks. I've always been a bit of a fan of anything GN but particularly the Queensbury lines, ever since they were featured in the Trains Illustrated (June 1956) - I was five at the time! but it was my brother who purchased it. I always felt that one of the stations on the line(s) was crying out to be modelled. It's brilliant to see what you guys have achieved so far and I can't wait to see it when finished.

Best Wishes

Clem

• Like 1

Hi Clem,

Regards,

Frank

Thanks for putting Clayton on here, Frank,

It really is outstanding modelling all round. It shows what can be achieved by a group of like-minded modellers, pooling resources to produce a most-interesting layout. 

All-built as well - no dependence on RTR. I really like it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

I also took the opportunity to present three more locos built by Eric Fry. These are on loan for the moment, for use during the LNER weekend on Little Bytham in August. 

This trio will operate on the M&GNR bit. Aren't they beautiful? Considering they were built by Eric when he was (at least) in his eighties, I think they're a 'beacon' for all those who claim they can't build this or that for whatever reasons. 

It is a privilege to not only have the use of such lovely models, but also have so many wonderful visitors; either those who are friends, or those who are friends immediately after visiting.

They really are lovely. The beauty and elegance of the Midland parentage of 013 and 059 shines through the rather odd (to my eyes) livery - albeit completely authentic. I look forward to seeing the results of the LNER weekend in August. 

Is it before or after the Southwold show Tony?

Jerry

• Like 1

They really are lovely. The beauty and elegance of the Midland parentage of 013 and 059 shines through the rather odd (to my eyes) livery - albeit completely authentic. I look forward to seeing the results of the LNER weekend in August. 

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Just after.

Eric (like I do) builds models of what he remembers. Being born in 1927 (19 years before me) means he was able to see all the M&GNR locos as they were repaired (or scrapped) at Stratford. Presumably Melton Constable lost the major overhauls after the LNER took over the system in the '30s? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Jerry

Ahh! .... that explains it - I was scratching my head there and showing my ignorance .... I was certain that I discerned the elegant Johnson lines.

I also took the opportunity to present three more locos built by Eric Fry. These are on loan for the moment, for use during the LNER weekend on Little Bytham in August. 

attachicon.gifD52.jpg

attachicon.gifJ3.jpg

attachicon.gifJ40.jpg

This trio will operate on the M&GNR bit. Aren't they beautiful? Considering they were built by Eric when he was (at least) in his eighties, I think they're a 'beacon' for all those who claim they can't build this or that for whatever reasons. 

It is a privilege to not only have the use of such lovely models, but also have so many wonderful visitors; either those who are friends, or those who are friends immediately after visiting.

A lovely mixture of Johnson and Ivatt.

I wonder if any of the unaltered Johnson D class 0-6-0s really got any red lining when repainted into LNER livery?

Edited by gr.king

A lovely mixture of Johnson and Ivatt.

I wonder if any of the unaltered Johnson D class 0-6-0s really got any red lining when repainted into LNER livery?

Good afternoon Graeme,

According to Yeadon (p.191, Vol 37B)  the seven which were repaired at Stratford by the 3rd of January 1939 (including 059) did have red lining applied. It would seem that 058, 063, 66 67 and 77 did not. 058 had red lining, but had M&GN on the tender, as I assume the others must have had. 

Whether it's right or wrong (and I can't imagine Eric Fry would have made a mistake), it does look lovely. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

A lovely selection of the LNER's acquired assets featured on the thread. I add one of the GC's wonderful matchboard carriages into the mix, a project that is currently on my workbench. 

post-26757-0-51661100-1528726278_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Fascinating line the M&GN. I hope there is another life, because with eternity it will be possible to model everything. This green isle alone offers more than a lifetime's choices.

Fascinating line the M&GN. I hope there is another life, because with eternity it will be possible to model everything. This green isle alone offers more than a lifetime's choices.

I remember the late (and great) Fred Dibnah talking about the same subject. He stated that upon passing away all he wished for was an eternal supply of old steam traction engines, tools and material to restore them !! The interviewer quipped about there being no blacksmiths furnaces in Heaven - Fred said he wasn't bothered where he ended up - just let there be engines !!!!

Brit15

• Like 2

Can I ask the source of that, Andrew?  They're a type we don't see enough of.

Evening Jonathan,

As usual with me, it is cobbled together from multiple sources. The body was purchased for a couple of quid from an exhibition scrap box. It was badly soldered together, painted with cow pat and had a rather comical roof. Whoever put it together didn't even bother to file any of the tags off the etchings. I striped it, dismantled it and then reassembled it square. In the process I reduced the height by a good 2 mm, that gives you an idear of the size of the gaps between the soldered joints. The ventilators and droplights were present but soldered on at odd angles. All came off and were refurbished or replaced as necessary. I await the delivery of a new set of buffers to replace those originaly attached.

Despite the above, the brass etchings were actually in very good condition (hence why I picked it up in the first place). They required the forming of a proper tumblehome and I added door hinges, window bars, alarm gear and jumper cables. I also filed out slots in the sides and back plated them to replicate the recessed door and grab handles of the prototype. The original underframe consisted of only solebars and step boards, these being attached to the dreaded fold under that I generally detest. They went in the scrap box along with the fold under and the badly fitting roof.

The replacement underframe is MJT, set up in the Comet fashion to allow the body to detach from the underframe. The various underframe gubbins was either scratch built or adapted from MJT components. The underframe sits on a pair of D&S 10' 6'' GC bogies, I have had these in stock for quite some time awaiting a suitable project. A brand new roof is still to be constructed, well worth doing rather than changing the end profile to accommodate the wrong shape. The GC roof is very distinctive and the ends are accurate in this respect.

Hope that is of help.

• Like 4

Evening Jonathan,

As usual with me, it is cobbled together from multiple sources. The body was purchased for a couple of quid from an exhibition scrap box. It was badly soldered together, painted with cow pat and had a rather comical roof. Whoever put it together didn't even bother to file any of the tags off the etchings. I striped it, dismantled it and then reassembled it square. In the process I reduced the height by a good 2 mm, that gives you an idear of the size of the gaps between the soldered joints. The ventilators and droplights were present but soldered on at odd angles. All came off and were refurbished or replaced as necessary. I await the delivery of a new set of buffers to replace those originaly attached.

Despite the above, the brass etchings were actually in very good condition (hence why I picked it up in the first place). They required the forming of a proper tumblehome and I added door hinges, window bars, alarm gear and jumper cables. I also filed out slots in the sides and back plated them to replicate the recessed door and grab handles of the prototype. The original underframe consisted of only solebars and step boards, these being attached to the dreaded fold under that I generally detest. They went in the scrap box along with the fold under and the badly fitting roof.

The replacement underframe is MJT, set up in the Comet fashion to allow the body to detach from the underframe. The various underframe gubbins was either scratch built or adapted from MJT components. The underframe sits on a pair of D&S 10' 6'' GC bogies, I have had these in stock for quite some time awaiting a suitable project. A brand new roof is still to be constructed, well worth doing rather than changing the end profile to accommodate the wrong shape. The GC roof is very distinctive and the ends are accurate in this respect.

Hope that is of help.

Hello Andrew

This looks like an interesting project. Do you think these are the Jidenco etches?

I’m particularly interested because I have three of these - one built minus roof and these others just waiting their turn.

Regards

Jon

Hello Andrew

This looks like an interesting project. Do you think these are the Jidenco etches?

I’m particularly interested because I have three of these - one built minus roof and these others just waiting their turn.

Regards

Jon

Evening Jon,

many thanks, I think you may be right.

• RMweb Premium

Ahh! .... that explains it - I was scratching my head there and showing my ignorance .... I was certain that I discerned the elegant Johnson lines.

The Johnson standard 0-6-0s could be seen at various times in red, yellow, green, blue, brown or black. But I think the LNER ones were the only ones ever to carry any form of lined black.

EDIT: added brown.

Edited by Compound2632

Tony,

Thank you to you and Mo for a lovely day yesterday, it was nice to see you both and also Robert and Mark. As always LB worked wonderfully and the only problems were due to my incompetence in operating it. It always amazes me how well LB operates, with locomotives never needing to be prodded to go and without derailments until we tried the Deltic with 33 coaches and some of the lightweight Bachmann coaches objected.

Thank you for posting photos of my feeble efforts, my only defence is that these two locomotives were built a long time ago and I hope I’ve improved a bit since then. The 61XX is from a Wills Finecast kit with Romford wheels and it originally had an XO4 type motor. However I rebuilt it about 20 years ago with a D13 type motor, added extra detail such as brake gear and I repainted it in early BR black.

The 43XX was built from a K’s kit about forty years ago. The tender was at one time used for a different project (an M & L Grange body on a Mainline under frame, not a success.) which is why it is black and the locomotive is green the tender has Comet frames but the locomotive is all K’s including the wheels and the gearbox type motor. I had a number of theses motors but apart from this one they all met a swift end in a nasty burning smell and the emission of blue smoke. This suggests to me that there may have been nothing wrong with the concept of these motors but perhaps the manufacture was variable in quality. Certainly this one still seems to work quite well after all this time.

The locomotives built by Eric Fry are beautiful and they put my efforts to shame, I will have to try harder in future.

I have donated a number of coach kits to Tony for sale by him towards a cancer charity which is a subject close to my heart. I realised I was never likely to build these kits and I thought it was better that they be sold and raise money for charity than they lie getting dusty in a cupboard.

Tony, once again many thanks to you and Mo for your wonderful hospitality and letting me operate the railway and I hope to see you in a few weeks by which time I hope I may have made more progress with the J38.

Sandra

• Like 2