Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Back in 1985 at IMREX we had a stand showing some of the display material for CF. An elderly gentleman appeared and made me a Don Corleone style offer to supply Peco track for the new MRC layout. I pointed out that it would not work with 2mm finescale wheels. He commented that he could not see why we wanted to make all the track. I then asked him for his name, because I honestly did not recognise him. It must have been quite a deflating question because Sidney Pritchard then left the stand with little more said.

Tim

And just what gives anybody the right to think that they are so important and famous that everybody should recognise them? Possibly the same false thinking that allows certain "select" people to make a massive mess in one grossly over-paid job and then move immediately into another feather-bed because they are of "such high calibre".....

Hi Bernard

I think Grahame was referring to a pre-computer age when N gauge was called 000. 

Hi Clive,

Yet another complication. Let us wait and see the cries when the new EM track is found to be 18.2mm rather than 18mm.

On the topic of the word in question, at work long ago we had a Graduate Engineer join the office and he started to adopt the US spelling.

It took several years to gradually revise all the drawings that he had worked on.

The part that did frighten me a bit was that he was dyslexic and soon moved on to work for Boeing on aircraft design. 

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I have worked on many international projects with teams drawn from a number of countries. One of the first, and most important, questions to ask the client is whether the project language is to be English or American.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have worked on many international projects with teams drawn from a number of countries. One of the first, and most important, questions to ask the client is whether the project language is to be English or American.

Happens to the best - http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

We just had an American visitor - his first trip over. He coped really well until it came to getting off a train. He's obviously used to doors that open for him as he failed to press the << button to open the door when he was suppsoed to get off, and away he went with the train. Oops. Perhaps we should go back to buttons that say "OPEN" and "CLOSE"?

What spelling mistake?

Another example of which side of the pond you come from.

Is guage really an American spelling? Gage maybe.

But being a British made product by a British company of a British prototype and sold in Britain, one might expect them to spell gauge the British way.

G

• RMweb Premium

And just what gives anybody the right to think that they are so important and famous that everybody should recognise them? Possibly the same false thinking that allows certain "select" people to make a massive mess in one grossly over-paid job and then move immediately into another feather-bed because they are of "such high calibre".....

When I was nursing I looked after the relatives of a few celebrities, I cannot recall any of the celebrities when visiting my patient/their family member ever acting if they were something special.  We use to get quite a few "known" people come and donate their blood when I was with the National Blood Service, again none expected to be treated differently than the other blood donors. I remember at one big insurance company the chief executive was donating his 25th donation and so was one of the clerks. He had the company publicity person come and take some photos of the pair of them donating and having their cuppa afterwards. He sent us a copy of the company newsletter, only one photo of him the others were of lady and making her special.

Having said how "normal" I found celebrities and other "known" people I did have a bit of a barney with a local councilor who thought everyone in Chelmsford knew him and how important he was. I was clueless, and he was my councilor. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Happens to the best - http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

We just had an American visitor - his first trip over. He coped really well until it came to getting off a train. He's obviously used to doors that open for him as he failed to press the << button to open the door when he was suppsoed to get off, and away he went with the train. Oops. Perhaps we should go back to buttons that say "OPEN" and "CLOSE"?

Hi Rich

Only about an hour ago I had a conversation with my eldest on much the same lines. On my layout I have written ON and OFF with arrows to indicate which way to push the slide switches on the control panel. My eldest suggested most people would understand the O and 1 signs one finds on things like computers and TV remotes. I say I have to think of how technically challenged other people can be including me.

• Like 3

Graeme, your comment reminds me on an amusing incident back in the early 2000's when I was part of the management team at one of the London ice rinks. We had many real celebrities walk through our doors over the years and, almost without exception, all of them were very pleasant who just wanted to be treated as normal people. However, I digress.

We were holding one of the annual figure skating competitions and my best friend and I were the duty managers for the day. As per usual during such events, we decided to undertaken some of the occasional jobs that were sufficiently unpleasant in nature that we never felt comfortable asking the staff to undertake them. Therefore, we'd both changed into some old staff uniforms as we were going to get quite dirty during the day.

At lunchtime, we were both in the staff room when one of the figure skating judges walks in and starts rummaging through the draws and cupboards; making quite a racket and mess in the process.

My friend (who was senior to me) politely asked if he realised that this was the staff room and that it was off limits to the general public. The judge puffed out his chest and screams back (and I mean screams!), 'I've asked your manager and have been told I can come in here. Besides, don't you know who the hell I am?'

My friend, keeping his cool, states that he could not have possibly asked a manager as the sum total of the management team on site were presently seated in the staff room and neither of us had spoken to him that day. He goes on to say that he hadn't a clue who the judge was but did have a fair idea from his attitude what he was. The judge was then again invited to leave - although nowhere near as politely as he was asked the first time.

Apologies for the non-railway related story.

Edited by Atso
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Seen people like that, some band or other, no idea who they were, but you could see the disappointment of people not wanting their autographs because people didn't know who they were.

Some radio road show passing through, I had heard of the DJs but not their guests. I don't think anyone had.

Edited due to script lockup on another tab

Edited by MJI

• RMweb Gold

I really hope one day someone asks me "Do you know who I am?" so I can respond "Why, have you forgotten?".

A few years ago a couple of my guys were undertaking some work in a manhole, one man was at the top acting as safety man and the other one was actually doing the work with one of the red and white tents covering the manhole entrance. The door of the tent was opened and this guy stuck his head in and asked what they were doing, obviously the top man asked what it was to do with him, the reply was,"Don't you know who  am?" At that the top man shouts down, "Hey, I've got a guy up here doesn't know his name!" The guy in the manhole responded, "He must be another one from the care home across the road"

Needless to say it was one of the normally unknown senior managers who was touring round building up his mileage looking for someone to annoy and he wasn't best pleased.

Edited by jollysmart
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When I was nursing I looked after the relatives of a few celebrities, I cannot recall any of the celebrities when visiting my patient/their family member ever acting if they were something special.  We use to get quite a few "known" people come and donate their blood when I was with the National Blood Service, again none expected to be treated differently than the other blood donors. I remember at one big insurance company the chief executive was donating his 25th donation and so was one of the clerks. He had the company publicity person come and take some photos of the pair of them donating and having their cuppa afterwards. He sent us a copy of the company newsletter, only one photo of him the others were of lady and making her special.

Having said how "normal" I found celebrities and other "known" people I did have a bit of a barney with a local councilor who thought everyone in Chelmsford knew him and how important he was. I was clueless, and he was my councilor. 

Back in late 1985/early '86 I sat behind Jimmy Nail on the BA Shuttle up to Edinburgh (this was at a time when "Auf Wiedersehen Pet" was at it's height [just after 1st series]).  Dead nice guy - I still have his Autograph somewhere.  Last saw Jimmy standing just outside the Airport at the Bus Stop, waiting for a Bus....

A few years ago a couple of my guys were undertaking some work in a manhole, one man was at the top acting as safety man and the other one was actually doing the work with one of the red and white tents covering the manhole entrance. The door of the tent was opened and this guy stuck his head in and asked what they were doing, obviously the top man asked what it was to do with him, the reply was,"Don't you know who  am?" At that the top man shouts down, "Hey, I've got a guy up here doesn't know his name!" The guy in the manhole responded, "He must be another one from the care home across the road"

Needless to say it was one of the normally unknown senior managers who was touring round building up his mileage looking for someone to annoy and he wasn't best pleased.

My mate at work was about a minute late back to work after lunch (v.large multinational company).  Engineering Director had deemed that a useful use of his time was to challenge people late back. Conversation with my mate went rapidly downhill; said Engineering Director went nigh on into orbit when my mate asked "Excuse me, but who are you? And where's your security pass".  Naturally the story went round the site at light speed.  Said Director became a laughing stock - he never went on Doorman duty again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How do you say that in O level French Andy, if I had any idea what double mushroom track was I would of course be happy to help.  I suspect I might be pointed towards the cafeteria.

Jamie

Simples and almost a direct translation as according to my ever trusty UIC Lexicon of official translations it is  -  rail à double champignon

There is of course always a strong possibility that French railway modellers might be as unfamiliar with various prototype terminology as more than a few British railway modellers. (nobody should dare mention 'point rodding stools' in my hearing when what they actually mean is point rodding roller assemblies - which are the things the rodding passes through and which are mounted, in most circumstances, on top of stools that are made of wood, or metal or concrete and are partly buried in order to keep them in position).

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Surely, American is merely a dialect: American English?

• Like 1

Hello all,

A modelling offering to this thread from me this time.

post-943-0-78308900-1541525936.jpg

The C1 in the process of being lined out. Unfortunately, one of my home made boiler band decals failed to stick so I'll have to make up some more and replace it (I think I'll replace the second band on the firebox at the same time). This side of the locomotive, other than some tidying up, is just about done in terms of lining. All the lining is bow pen, brush work and/or hand painted decals, I've just got the other side of the loco and tender to do.

I also spent a little time making up these today.

post-943-0-48039000-1541526032.jpg

The above will be split electrical pins for the loco/tender drawbar (taking inspiration from the current Farish design). These have been made from some 2mm brass rod and some small washers (12BA, I think) which have been carefully reamed out to be a snug fit. Once soldered together, I tidied everything up, filled some flats on the washers and carefully cut down the middle of the rod using a piecing saw before introducing some Araldite into the gap. Once this has hardened, I'll cut of the excess and fit these into some pre-prepared holes in the chassis blocks. I dare not use a soldering iron around these now so I will have to figure out some kind of sprung wire arrangement between the frames/pickups and the pins. The drawbar will be a simple affair made up of some copper clad board and a couple of bits of phosphor bronze wire.

• Like 5

I also spent a little time making up these today.

attachicon.gifMystery Brass Objects.jpg

The above will be split electrical pins for the loco/tender drawbar (taking inspiration from the current Farish design). These have been made from some 2mm brass rod and some small washers (12BA, I think) which have been carefully reamed out to be a snug fit. Once soldered together, I tidied everything up, filled some flats on the washers and carefully cut down the middle of the rod using a piecing saw before introducing some Araldite into the gap. Once this has hardened, I'll cut of the excess and fit these into some pre-prepared holes in the chassis blocks. I dare not use a soldering iron around these now so I will have to figure out some kind of sprung wire arrangement between the frames/pickups and the pins. The drawbar will be a simple affair made up of some copper clad board and a couple of bits of phosphor bronze wire.

This sounds really clever but I can’t get to grips with what the problem is that you are solving with these. Can you go into a bit more explanation of the problem please?

Frank

• RMweb Gold

This sounds really clever but I can’t get to grips with what the problem is that you are solving with these. Can you go into a bit more explanation of the problem please?

Frank

In 2mm/N it's best practice to pick up from every available wheel on loco and tender, if there is one. This necessitates some means to carry the current twix the two, preferably that is reasonably easily separable. Steve has come up with a way to replicate what Farish do on their latest models.

Steve, if you are going to either the Portsmouth or Warley shows I will show you the method I use which is fairly simple and works well. Needless to say, as usual, I pinched the idea from that clever John Greenwood chap. If there is any interest I will try and get a snap and post it on the thread.

Jerry

• Like 1

In 2mm/N it's best practice to pick up from every available wheel on loco and tender, if there is one. This necessitates some means to carry the current twix the two, preferably that is reasonably easily separable. Steve has come up with a way to replicate what Farish do on their latest models.

Steve, if you are going to either the Portsmouth or Warley shows I will show you the method I use which is fairly simple and works well. Needless to say, as usual, I pinched the idea from that clever John Greenwood chap. If there is any interest I will try and get a snap and post it on the thread.

Jerry

Indeed, this would be best practice. The Atlantic has a few more problems than usual as one of the driving wheels is fitted with a traction tyre (being an N gauge bodger rather than a true 2mm finescale modeller) and the bogie wheels are somewhat tight in clearances as so I've not fitted any pickups at the front. The only other pickup from the locomotive will be the rear radial wheel set so the tender becomes essential in getting reliable pickup. Overall, a challenging locomotive that has forced me to consider things I wouldn't normally have done.

Jerry, I would be very interested in seeing John's and your method. I'll be at Warley on the Saturday so will come and find you. Many thanks :)

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

I've got a Highland wee Ben to complete for a friend. I think it might be a Sutherland kit.

Glad the Tram engine still works. That was the very last of the locos sold on behalf of bereaved families. So far!

Regards,

Tony. 

Its a nice little kit, but give Brian at Branchlines a bell and see if he has a later chassis etch for it, the original brass lump and wee motor aren't the best, although I was pleasantly surprised at how well it ran...

Andy G