Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Monetising Youtube would be a no go, unfortunately. Youtube have become much more strict in terms of the people who can run ads on their channel and claim a percentage of ad revenue. The rules now state that your channel needs to have at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours in the in the past 12 months.

Monetising Youtube would be a no go, unfortunately. Youtube have become much more strict in terms of the people who can run ads on their channel and claim a percentage of ad revenue. The rules now state that your channel needs to have at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours in the in the past 12 months.

It was worth a thought.

Move your stuff to you tube, with 2000000 hits on this page 4000 watch hours should be achievable.

This maybe a silly question but why did the LNER put the coaches on shared bogies? Why not the standard two bogies per coach?

Articulation was used by the LNER more than any pre-Nationalisation railway. 

It gave several advantages. It saved bogies. In the case of a twin, it saved one and in the case of a triplet, it saved two. In the case of a quint, it saved four. 

The disadvantages were that, usually, the bogies had to be heavier and, if one vehicle in the artic was out of action for some reason, then the whole unit was out of action. 

Artics were used on the slowest passenger trains (the Quadarts) and on the fastest (the streamliners).

They can, and do, make lovely models.

As well as the ex-streamlined artics and the catering triplets, other types of artics running on LB include...........

post-18225-0-76401300-1542390995_thumb.jpg

A pair of steel-sided non-gangwayed artics, built by Tony Geary from Southern Pride/Comet components.

post-18225-0-66087800-1542391051_thumb.jpg

And a pair of 1935 BTK/TK steel-bodied, gangwayed artics. Again, built by Tony Geary from Southern Pride/Comet components.

post-18225-0-78468000-1542391126_thumb.jpg

There is a pair of ex-Tourist TO/TO ply-sided artics as the second and third cars in this Down stopper, built from Mailcoach/Comet components. 

Whenever visitors come to see LB, they always comment on the range of artics running.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

TGV's are all articulated within the coaching stock, eg 11 bogies for each set of 10 coaches.   The power cars obviously have two each and the outer bogie on each coaching set is actually a motor bogie drawing power from the power car.  Thus 12 powered axles per set and they are really fast and ride beautifully. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

TGV's are all articulated within the coaching stock, eg 11 bogies for each set of 10 coaches.   The power cars obviously have two each and the outer bogie on each coaching set is actually a motor bogie drawing power from the power car.  Thus 12 powered axles per set and they are really fast and ride beautifully. 

Of course to SNCF, losing an entire TGV set to repair a single bogie isn't a problem when the normal fleet utilisation is something like 60%.

• Like 1

Going back to the 1938 Triplet..................

attachicon.gifcarriages 19.jpg

attachicon.gif10' HD Gresley bogies.jpg

If these aren't MJT 10' HD Gresley bogies, does anyone know whose they are? 

They look very much like the 10' HD whitemetal bogie sides that came with my RDEB triplet set from Dan Pinnock many years ago. They could be built rigid or with compensation.

Not sure if they were of Dan's design as I understand some of his castings came from Adrian Swain of ABS Models.

• RMweb Gold

A fairly recently recruited member of our model railway club, called Campbell Russell, has created a very nice layout modelled on the Pass of Killiecrankie. It is modelled in T gauge. He was kind enough to exhibit it on behalf of our club at the Renfrewshire exhibition last weekend. It drew a surprising number of comments and enquiries, all of them very positive.

Campbell is also a member of an art club which exhibits where he lives and a number of years ago he ventured to suggest to his friends that the creation of a layout was art. It seems this proposal was the subject of some scepticism and discussion and it was not really considered art until he brought a few photos along and argued that he could show it regularly as an artwork in progress. Campbell told me that after just two sessions his art club colleagues were fascinated. He was of a mind to stop bringing it but they persuaded him to show it until completion and have virtually demanded he exhibit it regularly since then. He is very happy to do so. 

Renfrewshire was his first exhibition and he was quite concerned that it should all work well, especially since it was under our club banner. He need not have worried. It worked very well indeed and all the maintenance was done out of show hours. This is not as easy as it sounds. Have you ever tried cleaning wheels that are less than 2mm in diameter? To my surprise, the layout is controlled by a small unit running on a few AAA batteries. In 7 hours of operation on the first day we only had to change the batteries once. No mains power is used. 

As Campbell and I operated I asked him if he thought there was ever a likelihood of steam locos in T gauge. He currently runs an HST set and a modern DMU. He said that ideas along those lines were already being developed, although maybe not in BR outline at present. I told him I'd love to see evidence of that and this is what he sent me:- 

Bear in mind that the height of this model locomotive is under 10mm.

What price Tudor Minstrel in T gauge?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A fairly recently recruited member of our model railway club, called Campbell Russell, has created a very nice layout modelled on the Pass of Killiecrankie. It is modelled in T gauge. He was kind enough to exhibit it on behalf of our club at the Renfrewshire exhibition last weekend. It drew a surprising number of comments and enquiries, all of them very positive.

Campbell is also a member of an art club which exhibits where he lives and a number of years ago he ventured to suggest to his friends that the creation of a layout was art. It seems this proposal was the subject of some scepticism and discussion and it was not really considered art until he brought a few photos along and argued that he could show it regularly as an artwork in progress. Campbell told me that after just two sessions his art club colleagues were fascinated. He was of a mind to stop bringing it but they persuaded him to show it until completion and have virtually demanded he exhibit it regularly since then. He is very happy to do so. 

Renfrewshire was his first exhibition and he was quite concerned that it should all work well, especially since it was under our club banner. He need not have worried. It worked very well indeed and all the maintenance was done out of show hours. This is not as easy as it sounds. Have you ever tried cleaning wheels that are less than 2mm in diameter? To my surprise, the layout is controlled by a small unit running on a few AAA batteries. In 7 hours of operation on the first day we only had to change the batteries once. No mains power is used. 

As Campbell and I operated I asked him if he thought there was ever a likelihood of steam locos in T gauge. He currently runs an HST set and a modern DMU. He said that ideas along those lines were already being developed, although maybe not in BR outline at present. I told him I'd love to see evidence of that and this is what he sent me:- 

Wow!

That's extraordinary Archie,

Thanks for posting.

Did Campbell make that mechanism?

I think a layout is a 'form of art'. Kinetic art, I might call it, especially if it works well. Certainly, I hope my art school training helped me in 'creating a whole scene', as it were. Where someone has an artist's eye, it usually manifests itself in a sensitive use of colours, with nothing too bright or over-stated. 

Whether art training helps in the mechanical side of the hobby, I'm not sure. When I retrained to encompass CDT (Craft, Design & Technology), at Dudley, over 30 years ago, many on the course who had had an art training struggled with making mechanical things - such as creating mousetrap-powered cars or kids' toy roundabouts driven by a home-made electric motor. Yet, those who excelled at those sort of things (who'd come from the metalwork/woodwork side of things), couldn't draw/paint. Luckily, I was 'middle of the road' in both disciplines. 

Where the two combined to perfection was in the likes of the late Tom Harland's Bramblewick. One of the finest layouts ever created in my view, but then, Tom was a most-accomplished artist who could also build exquisitely in P4. 

• RMweb Premium

Well it does have an LNER connection the 9000's were 3 cylinder and reputedly Sir Nigel was paid £50 per loco in royalties for the use of his conjugated gear to drive the middle cylinder. UP built 90 of them so it was a nice little earner for him in the 1930's.   My 7mm version has working gear on the front.  If anyone is interested I'll try and get some video of it working. It's a tad over 10mm high though.

Jamie

Wish I had fifty quid for every time I conjugated Latin verbs at School !! (a most useless mind numbing subject).

What a brute the UP 9000 class was - Imagine one of these thundering through Little Bytham !!!

up9029-laws.jpg

Brit15

• Like 10

It gave several advantages. It saved bogies. In the case of a twin, it saved one and in the case of a triplet, it saved two. In the case of a quint, it saved four.

The disadvantages were that, usually, the bogies had to be heavier and, if one vehicle in the artic was out of action for some reason, then the whole unit was out of action.

Artics were used on the slowest passenger trains (the Quadarts) and on the fastest (the streamliners).

They can, and do, make lovely models.

As well as the ex-streamlined artics and the catering triplets, other types of artics running on LB include...........

Rolling stock 20.jpg

A pair of steel-sided non-gangwayed artics, built by Tony Geary from Southern Pride/Comet components.

gangwayed steel artics 01.jpg

And a pair of 1935 BTK/TK steel-bodied, gangwayed artics. Again, built by Tony Geary from Southern Pride/Comet components.

RM Little Bytham 29.jpg

There is a pair of ex-Tourist TO/TO ply-sided artics as the second and third cars in this Down stopper, built from Mailcoach/Comet components.

Whenever visitors come to see LB, they always comment on the range of artics running.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony.

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

That's extraordinary Archie,

Thanks for posting.

Did Campbell make that mechanism?

Tony, Campbell did not make the mechanism. So far as I am aware it was by Alan Ramsay whom I believe is the importer of all things T Gauge from Japan.

"A fairly recently recruited member of our model railway club, called Campbell Russell, has created a very nice layout modelled on the Pass of Killiecrankie. It is modelled in T gauge. He was kind enough to exhibit it on behalf of our club at the Renfrewshire exhibition last weekend. It drew a surprising number of comments and enquiries, all of them very positive."

Sounds very interesting - do you have any images of this layout?

I think a layout is a 'form of art'. Kinetic art, I might call it, especially if it works well.

Yep, definitely art. I remember going to a kenetics exhibition at the Haywood art gallery on the Southbank in the early 1970s.

G

Well that's the Blue Peter at Durham sub-minature recreation sorted....

• RMweb Premium

Another disadvantage is that, everything else being equal, the bodies have to be shorter so as not to exceed the maximum centre throw.

Talking about articulated carriages,

why did the LNER use them so much? The simple answer is that Gresely became CME of the LNER and he had already used them successfully on the GNR. It was found that a simple and cheap solution of dealing with that companies ageing fleet of six wheelers was to convert them into articulated sets. This vastly improved the riding of these carriages and extended their service life.

The principal reason for continue with articulation on the LNER was for the same reason, they rode better than conventional carriages. On the matter of length, many of the LNER non gangway twins were longer than the equivalent non articulated, non gangway carriages. Just by pure chance, diag 210 twin BT(6) - CL (2-5), seen in the photo below, is intended to be my next build. They were 55' 6 3/4'' over the body compared to 51' 1 1/2'' for the standard non gangway stock of the type produced by Hornby. Hopefully, I shall do my utmost not to build it wonky.

The photo shows a York B16/1 heading north from Woodford to Nottingham, with one of New Basfords non gangway sets. The Thompson CL (carriage 3 in the formation) has already been constructed, and is up on this thread somewhere many pages back.

post-26757-0-63575600-1542418906_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 10

The photo shows a York B16/1 heading north from Woodford to Nottingham, with one of New Basfords non gangway sets. The Thompson CL (carriage 3 in the formation) has already been constructed, and is up on this thread somewhere many pages back.

Andrew 

May I suggest you have your own build thread ? It would make it much easier for everybody  to look at your excellent builds.

Andrew 

May I suggest you have your own build thread ? It would make it much easier for everybody  to look at your excellent builds.

Why not?

However, I'd hope Andrew would still post examples of his work on here. If nothing else, this is a builders' thread. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3