Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

The whole LMS wagon range is all but ignored by the RTR market, which is somewhat strange considering that it was the largest of the Big Four fleets - perhaps if Parkside had paid attention to it the pirates would have descended on it as they have to so much of their output.. However, there is enough out there for builders to recreate a good proportion of the common types, especially in vans. The Ratio kit lends itself to many of the "classic" Thirties styles, while the Cambrian kit reflects the Midland input to earlier ones. Here are a couple of shots  of variations I quickly took tonight.

post-2642-0-41927300-1544490563_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-92860400-1544490593_thumb.jpg

Ratio kits  with some of the many variations on a theme.

post-2642-0-29072100-1544490665_thumb.jpg

The Cambrian one  - an excellent kit that just falls together and again open to variations.

post-2642-0-41927300-1544490563_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-92860400-1544490593_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-29072100-1544490665_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Don't worry too much about Jesse, I managed to take some of the heat from Tony when he was out here in Sydney....  :scratchhead: he did a good job of presenting 

Bucoops- you have it the wrong way round Aussies call them thongs..... i also know them as the Pacific safety shoe!.... Ask an American on the other hand they may look at you funny  :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry too much about Jesse, I managed to take some of the heat from Tony when he was out here in Sydney....  :scratchhead: he did a good job of presenting 

Bucoops- you have it the wrong way round Aussies call them thongs..... i also know them as the Pacific safety shoe!.... Ask an American on the other hand they may look at you funny  :O

I know them as an IQ reducer when worn that way round.   It allegedly takes 10 points off which can cause great difficulties to many people.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I know them as an IQ reducer when worn that way round.   It allegedly takes 10 points off which can cause great difficulties to many people.

Jamie

I'd always assumed that people wearing baseball caps that way round didn't have 10 points to lose in the first place?

Mike.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'd always assumed that people wearing baseball caps that way round didn't have 10 points to lose in the first place?

Mike.

I sometimes wear mine back to front when dinghy sailing or in the launch when windy. I don't think that I'm 'sixpence short of a shilling'! :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

That's what I mean - a thong is a shoe to you guys but to us something totally different ;)

The whole LMS wagon range is all but ignored by the RTR market, which is somewhat strange considering that it was the largest of the Big Four fleets - perhaps if Parkside had paid attention to it the pirates would have descended on it as they have to so much of their output.. However, there is enough out there for builders to recreate a good proportion of the common types, especially in vans. The Ratio kit lends itself to many of the "classic" Thirties styles, while the Cambrian kit reflects the Midland input to earlier ones. Here are a couple of shots  of variations I quickly took tonight.

attachicon.gifIMG_0660.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0663.JPG

Ratio kits  with some of the many variations on a theme.

attachicon.gifIMG_0669.JPG

The Cambrian one  - an excellent kit that just falls together and again open to variations.

What a terrific collection of LMS vans, no wonder they are so rare on many a model railway, you have them all. A must have in my opinion.

I can add a late period  9' wb LMS 'nana van', cobbled together by cross fertilizing parts from Ratio, Parkside, Comet and lanarkshire models.

post-26757-0-52154700-1544520626_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mike.

Not if you are in/on the Ionian, on a windsurf board, doing 20 knots and overtaking a Hoby Cat up on one hull in a force 7! OK so that was mid 90s but it was still fun and my baldy patch did not get toasted to a cinder.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What a terrific collection of LMS vans, no wonder they are so rare on many a model railway, you have them all. A must have in my opinion.

I can add a late period  9' wb LMS 'nana van', cobbled together by cross fertilizing parts from Ratio, Parkside, Comet and lanarkshire models.

Neat brake rigging.

P

Mike.

Mad dogs and english men! Have been known to adopt this fashion look whilst wearing a t-shirt in the midday sun .... saves on the blistering.

Not if you are in/on the Ionian, on a windsurf board, doing 20 knots and overtaking a Hoby Cat up on one hull in a force 7! OK so that was mid 90s but it was still fun and my baldy patch did not get toasted to a cinder.

You could have tried a skull cap, or even a trilby - it would have looked far more fetching and stylish running in on a surfboard, and certainly a lot less naff than a baseball cap the wrong way around.

:jester: 

G.

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes wear mine back to front when dinghy sailing or in the launch when windy. I don't think that I'm 'sixpence short of a shilling'! :biggrin_mini2:

When worn the 'wrong way' the peak of a baseball cap can keep the sun off the back of your neck. Also the peak can get in the way when using a camera so a quick reversal can help here.

However, the main point of wearing a baseball cap backwards is to wind up grumpy old men...  ;)

• Like 2

When worn the 'wrong way' the peak of a baseball cap can keep the sun off the back of your neck. 

And then your forehead and face are exposed and burn. To protect from sun you need an all around wide rimmed hat - just like the Aussies promote in their slap, slop and slip it on adverts to avoid sun burn and preferably one with dangling corks to keep the flies away . . . .

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Close, though I'd never describe Jesse as a half-wit.

Indeed, as I've said before, he challenges my prejudices, which is no bad thing. He's also, which is far more important than appearance, developing into a first-rate modeller.

...and operator.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing how a train can circulate a layout many, many times then, despite nothing having changed, one wagon or coach in the formation decides to spit it's dummy and fall off!

...usually just after some "expert" or other has arrived to view the layout.

• RMweb Premium

I used to wear my flat cap back-to-front when i was driving my MG...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You could have tried a skull cap, or even a trilby - it would have looked far more fetching and stylish running in on a surfboard, and certainly a lot less naff than a baseball cap the wrong way around.

G.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone windsurfing in a trilby.

Unlike your namesake you weren't going fast enough then. When worn backwards a baseball cap creates lift until it flies up & away. I know - it can't be wear one worn backwards on a jetski for long.

William

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

30,000 posts, that’s got me thinking. When this thread reaches 6xxxx we’ll get to some very evocative numbers. In the meantime I’ll dedicate this post To 30040, a Drummond M7 built in 1898 and scrapped in 1961.

• Like 2

I thought he presented brilliantly at the Convention, Doug. 

As did everyone else (though how I managed is for other to decide). 

Having attended many model railway functions, some presenters can make their subjects drier than dust. I've always tried to inject a bit of humour, but it can backfire (comments on tension-lock couplings, for instance). 

Only once have I been interrupted by someone who was 'unhappy' with my talk. I was giving a presentation to delegates at a meeting on 'The future of the Hobby, a Personal View'. I thought it might be a good idea to feature to begin with a few pictures of models from the past, including old RTR, and layouts from years ago. After about a couple of minutes (just as I was showing the last of the 'in the past' pictures), he got up and challenged me as to what they had to do with the hobby's future. Since my talk was scheduled for (at least) 45 minutes, plus questions, I thought he was a bit unfair. So did all the others, who promptly 'invited' him to leave. What a d!ck, I thought. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G.

Couldn't give a sh## if it looked naff. Travelling at 20+ knots with a Trilby would mean the Trilby went AWAL after a few seconds.Skull caps make you look like a Panto Pirate. and that's for posers.

Ar$£