Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

326 comments and growing, I'd pour myself a large glass of wine/beer/whatever takes your fancy before settling down to read. I think one thing is for certain, it is definitely a talking point!

Make it a large one Atso....you are going to need it!

Interesting, all the venom in that FB thread, but would any come over to talk to Tony at a show? I doubt it!

Mob mentality at its best!

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

326 comments and growing, I'd pour myself a large glass of wine/beer/whatever takes your fancy before settling down to read. I think one thing is for certain, it is definitely a talking point!

All

I have to say after having a peruse of said 326 comments I am unsurprised how many have been written without thought and just immediate comment. I am back to this earlier comment of mine on this wonderful thread which is if someone disagrees they should go away and see if they can see the point of view expressed by the author and judge from a balanced voice not one of immediate hostility and sense of reasoning.

All

I have to say after having a peruse of said 326 comments I am unsurprised how many have been written without thought and just immediate comment. I am back to this earlier comment of mine on this wonderful thread which is if someone disagrees they should go away and see if they can see the point of view expressed by the author and judge from a balanced voice not one of immediate hostility and sense of reasoning.

It was also interesting how many had not in fact read the article, and in some cases had no idea who Tony was, but still felt it their place to pass judgement. 

It was also interesting how many had not in fact read the article, and in some cases had no idea who Tony was, but still felt it their place to pass judgement. 

I suppose passing judgement based only on personal opinion. Sounds familiar.

But I suppose I should take care, lest I be accused of being a heretic. 

It's a funny old topic. By funny, I don't mean humorous. Unfollow.

It is just worth clarifying, that the facebook group in question is not connected with the magazine BRM, rather it is just a group called 'British Railway Modelling'.

I'lll be honest, I read the comments and wasn't surprised....in fact I sort of find it amusing that so many appear 'offended' by someone else's opinion. I picked up RM, and I thought it was an excellent article Tony.

Sadly, many who are upset do not seem to grasp the concept Railway and ModellingIf anything though, today has brought me to the conclusion that the hobby is not a broad church, instead I would argue that the concept of plonking a RTR loco out of its box on RTR track with no personalisation at all......is not the same hobby as mine.

If that brings you enjoyment, that is great! However please do not be offended if you read something that doesn't sit in your comfort zone.

What i found odd with many of the comments on the Facebook group was that so many of the "offended" seemed to take delight in being abusive and downright nasty towards a different opinion.

That and throwing the term "rivet counter" around with gay abandon.

It is a funny world we live in.

Regards,

Craig W

Edited by Craigw
  • Like 1

What i found odd with many of the comments on the Facebook group was that so many of the "offended" seemed to take delight in being abusive and downright nasty towards a different opinion.

That and throwing the term "rivet counter" around with gay abandon.

It isa funny world we live in.

Regards,

Craig W

I couldn't agree more with you. Interestingly there was another similar discussion on another forum yesterday. The level number of pretty offensive statements by 'the offended' was staggering. What was the original offending remark? In response to somebody saying I would like xyz to be produced rtr: There is a kit available for that. Edited by Atso

Something that, even as a frequent user, I think is quite possibly the work of Satan when it is at its worst.

The reaction to Tony's thoughts, on both sides of the debate and different media, is interesting and illuminative and one that is becoming apparent in many fields.  There is a growing divide in, generally, generations in their approach to information and communication with regard to their, in this case, hobby interests, with far more input than quite recently going into You Tube and Face Book than was the case. There is a tranche of modellers out there who do not regard a forum set up as the way to communicate, far less paper magazines, and their ideas and reactions are in many ways configured by interactions on the same media for other subjects, where instant commentary, and often denigration, are the norm. The world is changing rapidly in this respect and I suspect attention span is one of the casualties - certainly several of the responses made it clear they were not interested in research or background knowledge.  There is no point in analysing the myriad different takes on this hobby - done to death repeatedly before - but the respondents appear to enjoy their approach to modelling, in its widest sense, and for that I would hesitate to pass too much criticism on them, but then I am of a generation that did not grow up expecting  the world to share my expressed opinion.

• Like 4

- but the respondents appear to enjoy their approach to modelling, in its widest sense, and for that I would hesitate to pass too much criticism on them, but then I am of a generation that did not grow up expecting  the world to share my expressed opinion.

I suspect it is more to do with communication methods than it is generational or specific to a given strata of people. In the past people were happy to be extreme/rude (irate of Tonbridge Wells) when hiding behind the screen of a letter ....where there was no personal contact. Equally things can get quite judgemental within private groups where there is a consensus of opinion - though here the object of ire is rarely aware of the attack. However, face to face or to some extent through the direct contact of the telephone a more tolerant/conciliatory atmosphere generally prevails. One first tries to understand rather than immediately jump to defence.

I would argue that this began to change with the advent of email - people started making impulsive and more extreme responses that would certainly have required a girding of the loins and a deep breath if done face to face .... effectively hiding behind the keyboard. We have a rule in our office that any strongly worded e-mail response has to be read by at least one other professional and should not be sent for 24 hours (a cooling off period).

Forums have exacerbated this situation as comments can be passed in both anonymity and with no danger of ever having to meet the person. Add into this mix the disingenuous and the trolls and you have a volatile environment. Furthermore, the method of communication is very two dimensional meaning the subtleties of inflection and irony can be easily lost - it is open to misinterpretation and indeed misrepresentation. To some extent the development of Imojis is an attempt to address this.

For all their limitations and problems I am still a fan of forums as they allow a connection and method of communication that can be very fulfilling and create links that would otherwise never exist. I suppose, as with all things, they are what you choose to make of them.

• Like 8

I think my greatest accolade is when Tony described one of my models as sh*te. I haven't looked back since! It's all very well being a keyboard warrior online, but people should talk to Tony face to face, our conversations are usually informative, entertaining and thank god:- irreverent! Like most modellers - he'll help anyone.

There was one FB comment: 'Has he built any layouts?' NO! - his mates have flippin built them! But many great layouts are a collaboration of effort, and mutual inspiration...

Anyway - I learnt a lot from Tony - even how useful flux is....

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

...people should talk to Tony face to face, our conversations are usually informative, entertaining and thank god:- irreverent! Like most modellers - he'll help anyone....

I agree with you wholeheartedly!

I had a quick glance at some of the comments..people need to get a life and do some modelling is all I would say...

Yes, but the snag is that many of these people don’t want to do any constructive modelling, say they can’t, won’t and are not prepared to put in any time learning and developing modelling skills. For them railway modelling is not about trying to replicate the real railway and make things, but is more about un-packing boxes and playing. And that’s fair enough if they enjoy it.

For me the problem is how they unpleasantly round upon anyone who has the temerity to suggest that, when they moan that something they want is not available RTR, that they could build a kit of it that is available. Often, they denigrate and vilify those that do make things usually accompanied by unpleasant name calling like ‘rivet counter’, ‘purist’ and ‘elitist’ or, as I noted on that facebook thread something new to me, ‘grass blade counter’.  

And, of course, there is the round of excuses or reasons, often expressed aggressively, as to why they won’t do some constructive modelling, like a lack of time, inability, failing eyesight and so on. There are many people on this thread who use and modify RTR products in their efforts to build a model railway or as a short cut to achieving what they want, but generally they don’t cause a conflagration about the differences and flame people who don’t. Perhaps it’s best not to poke the fire.

G

Edited by grahame
  • Like 3

Yes, but the snag is that many of these people don’t want to do any constructive modelling, say they can’t, won’t and are not prepared to put in any time learning and developing modelling skills. For them railway modelling is not about trying to replicate the real railway and make things, but is more about un-packing boxes and playing. And that’s fair enough if they enjoy it.

For me the problem is how they unpleasantly round upon anyone who has the temerity to suggest that, when they moan that something they want is not available RTR, that they could build a kit of it that is available. Often, they denigrate and vilify those that do make things usually accompanied by unpleasant name calling like ‘rivet counter’, ‘purist’ and ‘elitist’ or, as I noted on that facebook thread something new to me, ‘grass blade counter’.  

And, of course, there is the round of excuses or reasons, often expressed aggressively, as to why they won’t do some constructive modelling, like a lack of time, inability, failing eyesight and so on. There are many people on this thread who use and modify RTR products in their efforts to build a model railway or as a short cut to achieving what they want, but generally they don’t cause a conflagration about the differences and flame people who don’t. Perhaps it’s best not to poke the fire.

G

It's one thing to poke the fire but please remind yourself about who lit the fire.

And lets be honest with ourselves, the fire was lit with the clear intention that it would be poked. That was it's sole purpose.

• RMweb Premium

I understand that the Railway Modeller’s circulation increased a couple of months ago after the TV Model Railway series.

No doubt the same has happened this month with all the Facebook publicity. This will certainly assist them in boosting their advertising revenue.

Perhaps Tony is now already fighting off a myriad of magazine editors beating a path to his door requesting his services?   (Make sure you get good fees Tony)

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 2