Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I think some modern digital cameras produce over bright colours as a matter of course. I often find myself having to tone them down a little. Still, you can't beat the odd black and white.

attachicon.gifembankment bw1.jpg

Lovely image, John,

Thanks for posting.

The reason for my choice of the Nikon Df (with which I take most of my layout shots these days) is because it records colours in a muted, very natural way; both outdoors and under artificial light. 

I took it with me to Australia because it's light compared to the D3 (a relative term).

post-18225-0-98910900-1548530835_thumb.jpg

These two small members of the parrot family were among the most colourful (and tame) and beautiful birds I've ever seen. They stole Mo's sugar! The Df in natural light (outside, at a coffee house at Circular Quay) rendered the colours perfectly. 

post-18225-0-30348400-1548530979_thumb.jpg

Has anyone made a model of this (yes, a model of me has been made)? Very natural colours I think, on a bright day. If anyone ever makes a 'bucket list', have 'visit Sydney' at the very top! 

post-18225-0-54495500-1548531052_thumb.jpg

Using Jesse Sim's room lighting and pulses of fill-in flash, I think the colours here are very natural on his Brighton Junction - a splendid project, really coming along. 

post-18225-0-92380000-1548531133_thumb.jpg

Charles Rudder's Uley Junction was also lit by room lighting, and pulses of fill-in flash. Despite the salt wagon being ultra-bright (and crying out for weathering), I think the colour rendition is quite natural. 

I don't think there's currently a better camera for model railway photography than a Nikon Df; with a Micro lens, of course. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Lovely image, John,

Thanks for posting.

The reason for my choice of the Nikon Df (with which I take most of my layout shots these days) is because it records colours in a muted, very natural way; both outdoors and under artificial light. 

I took it with me to Australia because it's light compared to the D3 (a relative term).

attachicon.gifDsc_7675.jpg

These two small members of the parrot family were among the most colourful (and tame) and beautiful birds I've ever seen. They stole Mo's sugar! The Df in natural light (outside, at a coffee house at Circular Quay) rendered the colours perfectly. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Rainbow Lorikeets - we kept a pair until they eventually died quite recently - a good few years old. Interesting birds, not pleasant to get pooped on by though! THeir diet usually consists of nectar so sugar would be very tasty to them.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony,

Having just googled about the Nikon df camera, I must say I like it as it is literally analogue with the dials and can clearly see what the settings are.

I purchased my first and only DSLR about 7 years ago which was a Nikon D5100 just when it was introduced and within my price range at the time.

I've had to self teach myself in using it but found the auto setting to always be slightly out of focus.

However if I use any other setting like sports mode when not doing manual settings the photos do come up pin sharp.

I do use the standard 18-33 lens as supplied which I find is good enough for my model making photos.

Hello Tony,

Having just googled about the Nikon df camera, I must say I like it as it is literally analogue with the dials and can clearly see what the settings are.

I purchased my first and only DSLR about 7 years ago which was a Nikon D5100 just when it was introduced and within my price range at the time.

I've had to self teach myself in using it but found the auto setting to always be slightly out of focus.

However if I use any other setting like sports mode when not doing manual settings the photos do come up pin sharp.

I do use the standard 18-33 lens as supplied which I find is good enough for my model making photos.

Robert,

I think another reason why I like the Df is that all the controls are 'digital' - by that I mean, one alters them by using one's digits (fingers). There are no confusing sub-menus to navigate. 

I turn everything automatic off, and fly it literally by the seat of my pants. 

What does a body for one cost these days? I paid just under £800.00 second-hand some little time ago - an excellent price. 

Is the lens you use a dedicated Nikon one - made in Japan itself? I've never had any success with non-Nikon lenses on a Nikon body.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

Robert,

I think another reason why I like the Df is that all the controls are 'digital' - by that I mean, one alters them by using one's digits (fingers). There are no confusing sub-menus to navigate. 

I turn everything automatic off, and fly it literally by the seat of my pants. 

What does a body for one cost these days? I paid just under £800.00 second-hand some little time ago - an excellent price. 

Is the lens you use a dedicated Nikon one - made in Japan itself? I've never had any success with non-Nikon lenses on a Nikon body.

Regards,

Tony.

Tony,

It is an actual Nikon Lens that came with the camera new, nothing wrong with its focal on auto or manual, it just seems on auto mode on the body it's a bit out of focus but flick it to something else it's fine.

For the models I adjust the lens and aperture manually anyway and was taught a trick in how to do my lighting by Craig Tiley without having lots of lamps.

With a full-of-soup Mo getting better (though it was still right to miss the Southampton Show - I hope it's well-attended) despite my 'cooking', I've used part of my time today to get on with the SEF K3 being built for a friend. 

post-18225-0-49525600-1548536753_thumb.jpg

Time-consuming (fiddly) jobs have been to fit the cab and tender handrails. I've also fitted the cab roof and installed the backhead. I always solder the cab roof in place as soon as possible, because the etched cabsides are very vulnerable without it. 

Building this has set my thoughts to the eventual costs. I'm building it at 'mates'' rates, but it's still going to come out a lot, lot more than an RTR Bachmann equivalent, especially after Geoff Haynes has painted it. Except, Bachmann doesn't do an equivalent of what this will eventually be - right-hand drive with smaller cab. This one already runs far better than any Bachmann K3 I've ever used as well. 

post-18225-0-51842300-1548537058_thumb.jpg

I've shown this before, but it does illustrate what can be done with a Bachmann K3. Tony Geary did most of the improvements, and I added the wiggly pipes. 

post-18225-0-42951200-1548537135_thumb.jpg

I've also shown this before, and it shows my SEF K3 (all my own work). The big difference between this and the RTR one is the correct size of the driving wheels, Bachmann's being too small. Geoff Haynes will paint the one I'm currently building to a higher standard than this. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 16

"St Medard's church spire is painted on the backscene, For those interested in religion, this is a unique dedication. "

Noted in Pevsner as a rare dedication. It depends on where one is looking to for inspiration, several St Medard's are about to be 'cut-off', by fog?

Mr Smart

• RMweb Gold

And the trick is?

G

Wave a torch all over the model when photographing as the camera could take around 10 seconds to take the photo, thereby almost eliminating shadows and decent light.

A couple of examples of photos taken with this method.

post-8628-0-30450200-1548541935.jpeg

post-8628-0-21881700-1548541979.jpeg

• Like 7

Wave a torch all over the model when photographing as the camera could take around 10 seconds to take the photo, thereby almost eliminating shadows and decent light.

A couple of examples of photos taken with this method.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Or use pulses of fill-in flash.

The effect is the same or similar, effectively 'painting with light'. 

The 'dodge' is as old as magnesium flash for photography.................

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2

"St Medard's church spire is painted on the backscene, For those interested in religion, this is a unique dedication. "

Noted in Pevsner as a rare dedication. It depends on where one is looking to for inspiration, several St Medard's are about to be 'cut-off', by fog?

Mr Smart

Thanks Mr. Smart,

Pevsner (The Buildings of England Lincolnshire, Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, Second Edition revised by Nicholas Antram, Yale, 2002) does state that the dedication of the church in Little Bytham to St Medard  is 'rare'. However, in The King's England Lincolnshire, A New Domesday Book of 10,000 Towns and Villages, edited by Arthur Mee, Hodder and Stoughton, 1949,  the church dedication is listed as unique - 'The Romans must have known this place, for remains of their pottery are unearthed from time to time. The Saxons certainly did, for their long-and-short masonry is plainly seen at the south-east corner of the nave, outside the church. That takes the village back for nearly a thousand years; but its dedication take it back even farther, for it is to St Medard, a sixth-centurty Bishop of Noyen; no other church in England is dedicated to him'. 

Perhaps there is another church dedicated to him in the British Isles. 

We're now on to another of my passions - ecclesiastical architecture. Odd for an atheist. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mr. Smart,

Pevsner (The Buildings of England Lincolnshire, Nikolaus Pevsner and John Harris, Second Edition revised by Nicholas Antram, Yale, 2002) does state that the dedication of the church in Little Bytham to St Medard is 'rare'. However, in The King's England Lincolnshire, A New Domesday Book of 10,000 Towns and Villages, edited by Arthur Mee, Hodder and Stoughton, 1949, the church dedication is listed as unique - 'The Romans must have known this place, for remains of their pottery are unearthed from time to time. The Saxons certainly did, for their long-and-short masonry is plainly seen at the south-east corner of the nave, outside the church. That takes the village back for nearly a thousand years; but its dedication take it back even farther, for it is to St Medard, a sixth-centurty Bishop of Noyen; no other church in England is dedicated to him'.

Perhaps there is another church dedicated to him in the British Isles.

We're now on to another of my passions - ecclesiastical architecture. Odd for an atheist.

Regards,

Tony.

For my two penny's worth, not far from me in Shrewsbury in the village of Atcham there is a church dedicated to St Eata, again unique. Part of the research I carried out for the sightseeing bus tour where there is also a retired road bridge where house martins live beside the now main road bridge. Edited by RThompson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For my two penny's worth, not far from me in Shrewsbury in the village of Atcham there is a church dedicated to St Eata, again unique. Part of the research I carried out for the sightseeing bus tour where there is also a retired road bridge where house martins live beside the now main road bridge.

Funnily enough , Giggleswick, where I grew up has a church dedicated to St Alkelda and it is certainly a very rare dedication.   As to Atheists and ecclesiastical architecture, my art teacher was Cyril Harrington, whose academic speciality was just that.  He not only had to suffer me as a pupil but he was the main forger in Stalag Luft 3 and was waiting in the hut to escape when the tunnel was discovered.   A remarkable man and an inspiring teacher.

Hope that Mo is improving.   If you get stuck PM me and I can send you my recipe for a risotto that was one of my bachelor staples and could be made on a one ring baby Belling in a bedsit.

Jamie

• Like 3

The rodding to the Box looks superb.

Phil

Sorry for the late response, Phil,

I blinked, and it's already another page.......................

Regarding the rodding, I've rather run out of the motivation to complete it at the moment. Not because it won't be completed (it must be), but, after installing the rodding leaving the 'box (and there's still more needed), I then started building it from the north end. Fine - just one run to begin with, then two, then three, then four (including locking bars, cranks and compensators), then five..........................! I'm now up to seven, and I'll need at least a dozen parallel runs as I get towards the 'box. And, there's at least ten then head off south! 

I've made the simplest of wooden jigs - just a piece of 9mm ply with some brass pins in it marking the positions of the stools. Whereas a foot took about a quarter of an hour to solder together, a foot of the stuff now takes over an hour, and it's increasing. Obviously, where the runs go underneath rails, plastic rod is substituted. 

It really is one of those (essential) features on a model railway in my view. Install it (or at least some of it) and one thinks 'Yes, it really must be there'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps a roasted duck may be more appropriate - didn't Mallard roast her centre bearings around Little Bytham !!!

By the way I like both colour and B&W photos. My best wishes also to Mo.

Brit15

Excuse me...………... :triniti:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the late response, Phil,

I blinked, and it's already another page.......................

Regarding the rodding, I've rather run out of the motivation to complete it at the moment. Not because it won't be completed (it must be), but, after installing the rodding leaving the 'box (and there's still more needed), I then started building it from the north end. Fine - just one run to begin with, then two, then three, then four (including locking bars, cranks and compensators), then five..........................! I'm now up to seven, and I'll need at least a dozen parallel runs as I get towards the 'box. And, there's at least ten then head off south! 

I've made the simplest of wooden jigs - just a piece of 9mm ply with some brass pins in it marking the positions of the stools. Whereas a foot took about a quarter of an hour to solder together, a foot of the stuff now takes over an hour, and it's increasing. Obviously, where the runs go underneath rails, plastic rod is substituted. 

It really is one of those (essential) features on a model railway in my view. Install it (or at least some of it) and one thinks 'Yes, it really must be there'.

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes Tony, certainly a huge task but using very small 'parts'. However that almost track level shot is much enhanced with the equipment in place as far as you have completed to date. 

Best wishes to Mo who, I am sure, will be glad to see some sunshine today.

All the best,

P

• Like 2

Tony,

I've been thinking about the comment made that Little Bytham is only of an average standard and your suggestion that this is a fair description but I think one key thing is missing in this calculation, that raises the whole above that description.

The layout has to be considered as one, just as a painting would be. As much as I admire the paintings of Turner, parts of some of them are only average – he was never that good at painting figures, some even have three legs, and his perspective was all over the place at times but considered as a whole, each work is beyond masterful.

Thus I think a layout has to be considered as one artistic creation beyond the merits of the individual items. Given we've spoken about colour in the last few pages, the colour design of the layout (to use the term film makers choose) is far above average, that is characterised by gaudy unweathered stock, luminous grass pumped full of 1/76 scale nitrogen et al. If you consider the roster and operations of the average layout or the average make up of trains from perhaps two or three RTR coach types again you raise the bar. Does the average layout feature working signals, point rodding or even buildings based on the real thing?

I'd also suggest that the average layout features set geometry track which has not been weathered, even if it has been painted. And so the list goes on.

I wonder how a layout like Buckingham would be considered, after all there are no chairs on the track, the hand lettering on the locomotives is actually below average by today's standard but as a whole (including the operating schedule) it is magnificent as is Little Bytham. Both capture a different essence of 'railway' that is usually missing from the average layout that I think is typified as 'a nice collection of railway models'.

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Average... Are people making the same comparison here?

If LB is being compared to all OO layouts ever constructed, it would of course be well above average. If you’re just comparing it with a select group of exceptional layouts including the likes of Pendon, it might be assessed differently. I think we need to be clear about the reference group, before we can understand what average actually means!

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Colour and B&W

B&W is much better when sourced from a luminance only medium like B&W film (I like Tri X), converted from a colour medium especially when RGB rather than luminance with colour differences.

The worst B&W I have seen recently was on an expensive Sony LCD TV which however does standard to high def upscaling rather well.

But since my B&W stuff is very limited it took until recently to notice.

In the old B&W TV days B&W looked better on a B&W TV.

Now to colour balances.

I have had 3 video cameras, all same make, but all different technologies. Yet you can tell by the colours (and build quality) that they are the same make.

The tube camera with portable VCR was fantastic in the 80s, camera was low on features but good on picture quality, the portable undoubtedly best of generation.

About 15 years ago I went DV 16x9 as well not letterboxed, looked great on a tube widescreen TV,  colours very similar.

Most recent is HDV, again matching colour balances.

Compared to a Canon which seemed muted even in high summer. And autumn colours were not obvious.

I do want a digital camera sometime, I know what sensor brand I want, but not camera brand. From my experience a high end Sony sensor is still worth having.

This does seem to point to Nikon.

If LB is being compared to all OO layouts ever constructed, it would of course be well above average. If you’re just comparing it with a select group of exceptional layouts including the likes of Pendon, it might be assessed differently. I think we need to be clear about the reference group, before we can understand what average actually means!

Phil.

I took the reference point to mean all model railways, since no further explanation or sub-group was given eg. all the layouts that have appeared in MRJ or all the model railways that depict an actual place.

• RMweb Premium

I have been asked by a friend who is not a member of RMWebb is anyone can provide a copy of instructions for an OO Golden Age models A4 Sir Nigel Gresley “F” function list as he has lost his. Many thanks.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

For my two penny's worth, not far from me in Shrewsbury in the village of Atcham there is a church dedicated to St Eata, again unique. Part of the research I carried out for the sightseeing bus tour where there is also a retired road bridge where house martins live beside the now main road bridge.

And just a couple of miles down the road from me is St Kyneburgha's Church, another unique naming.

Phil.

Phil,

It's because I was considering the likes of the finest layouts ever constructed in my calculation that I considered Little Bytham as being 'average'. Certainly, among the group which built it, the modelling 'achieved' overall is 'average' by the standards of that group. Looking at some of their other work, some of it has been better, some of it not as good. That's certainly true in my own case, and locos I've built on commission in the past, in some cases, would have a greater amount of detail added - thus becoming above average for my standards. 

I'm not being precious or arrogant about this, just realistic. As I've said on many occasions, it's been my privilege to photograph layouts and models which I consider as good as anything achievable, anywhere. Pendon would be included in that list. Everything on Pendon could be considered way above average, and only the highest standards of modelling are acceptable to the team. 

I'd certainly put Buckingham as way, way above average; perhaps not with regard to some of the individual pieces in/on it (compared to today's standards, especially liveries), but in terms of its modelling philosophy and the fact that it's all the work of one man, over many decades. 

This 'one-man' approach is something I've always admired (mainly because it's not me), where an individual modeller does everything for himself/herself. Granted, compared with the very best in the individual disciplines, he/she might not achieve those lofty heights, but where, as in the likes of Buckingham, the whole thing comes together 'perfectly' then there is no higher praise one can give - hence Buckingham's richly-deserved status as being above average. 

Strangely (or is it so strange?), I've photographed some layouts which have been made entirely by a team of commissioned professionals, yet they never capture 'realism' Though the individual standards might be above average, the end result isn't. That might sound daft, but one (which I only ever did a recce on, prior to what became an abandoned photo shoot) had locos and stock built by the best, but after the 'Bournemouth Belle' had romped by behind a rebuilt Merchant Navy (a magnificent ensemble), the next train going by was an A3 in LNER green with a full teak rake (equally magnificent) - and so on. In terms of its being 'realistic', the whole scene was below average and not as convincing as, say, a layout running (modified) RTR stock where the geography and the timescale were consistent, and thus accurate. 

As for 'making the same comparison', may I put it like this, please? If, at one end, we have the boxed train set owner, who merely puts it all together on the floor and runs whatever he/she likes, and at the other we have the likes of Pendon, what would be in the middle so to speak? How about an OO layout, based on a prototype/prototype practice, where a fair bit of research had taken place and much (in every area) has had to be built, either individually or as part of a team? I think that would be fair. Average, in other words.

It could be that angels and pins come together again here, and the whole discussion becomes irrelevant. Perhaps I can finish like this............. Speaking for myself, I always strive to build the best model I can. Some, inevitably, turn out better or worse than others - not huge differences, but I know them. I thus attain my average standard in the main. Compared to a newcomer to kit-building, I'd like to think I was above average, but compared to the likes of the late John Hayes, well! I know my place, and my layout's place - sitting nicely in the middle, or haven't we been here before?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 5

Colour and B&W

B&W is much better when sourced from a luminance only medium like B&W film (I like Tri X), converted from a colour medium especially when RGB rather than luminance with colour differences.

The worst B&W I have seen recently was on an expensive Sony LCD TV which however does standard to high def upscaling rather well.

But since my B&W stuff is very limited it took until recently to notice.

In the old B&W TV days B&W looked better on a B&W TV.

Now to colour balances.

I have had 3 video cameras, all same make, but all different technologies. Yet you can tell by the colours (and build quality) that they are the same make.

The tube camera with portable VCR was fantastic in the 80s, camera was low on features but good on picture quality, the portable undoubtedly best of generation.

About 15 years ago I went DV 16x9 as well not letterboxed, looked great on a tube widescreen TV,  colours very similar.

Most recent is HDV, again matching colour balances.

Compared to a Canon which seemed muted even in high summer. And autumn colours were not obvious.

I do want a digital camera sometime, I know what sensor brand I want, but not camera brand. From my experience a high end Sony sensor is still worth having.

This does seem to point to Nikon.

Please forgive me, Martin,

But I haven't a clue what you're talking about. 

For instance, I have a letterbox - in which post is delivered! 

Regards,

Tony.