Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone noticed the huge amount of mobile phone users glued to screens in everyday tasks?

An example is the chip shop queue, say ten or so people in front, 3 or 4 will be constantly at their phones. I feel very silly for just pulling mine out to check time or call my wife.

Those things soak time, people constantly messaging, playing time wasting games (as a time sink rather than leisure), going on various social media.

As to phone zombies crossing roads aghhhhhhh!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Australia

My boss keeps going over to there and New Zealand.

On a free day he visited Hobbiton.

We are selling factory software over there, and looks like we could make market leader in time.

• RMweb Gold

I was fortunate to visit Sydney several times in the 80s and 90s, as my work took me to Australia. My first visit, incidentally, involved a 42 hour journey beginning in Fife, Scotland, and culminated in my colleague not

showing up at the airport in Sydney as arranged. Suitably exhausted, I worked out which bus I needed to get out to the suburbs and duly fell asleep. I was gently awoken by a very kindly local who asked me where I needed to get off, and then promised to make sure they'd wake me up again if I nodded off. it was typical of the friendliness and hospitality of Sydney, which has never disappointed me on subsequent visits. Just a shame it's such a long, long way away...you couldn't move it a bit closer, could you?

My first visit in 1989 was also my first trip to Oz and I spent three weeks in the country, taking a little time off to visit friends and see some of the scenery. One weekend we went up to the Blue Mountains for a couple of days walking and at some point (I can't recall if it was in Katoomba or Wentworth) I went into a newsagent and had a chat with the owner. He picked up on my accent and asked if I was over from the UK. He then said: "One of your trains came through about half an hour ago - Flying Scotsman, or something?". It turned out I'd narrowly missed seeing Scotsman in Oz! That was when i was going through a period of little interest in railways and had no idea that the engine was in Australia, let alone touring the Blue Mountains.

I've still never seen it!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I will have two days at large in Sydney next month.  One of them is my birthday.  I'm looking forward to exploring what looks to be a most interesting city!

Chris

We are there in late April as part of our Ruby wedding extravaganza, 3 nights in a hotel at Circular quay before catching the boat to Vancouver.   I am also looking forward to seeing the area.  

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only person who reads this thread who has never been to Australia, not likely to go, never had a reason to go or has ever had a desire to go? I hope our Australian friends are not offended because I am not a person who has this wanderlust for anywhere in the world.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Am I the only person who reads this thread who has never been to Australia, not likely to go, never had a reason to go or has ever had a desire to go? I hope our Australian friends are not offended because I am not a person who has this wanderlust for anywhere in the world.

Not at all Clive. Each to their own, although I have to say that when I first came here to work my then boss told me that a lot of Poms came to Australia but few went back. He was right.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

This time last year I had not the slightest desire or inclination to visit Australia.  It's amazing what a travel brochure can do ...

Chris

In the grand tradition of the BBC ....... for balance -

Great spot, but mind the bities

By ALAN LANDER

AUSTRALIA is known as the most lethal place on Earth when it comes to deadly animals and marine life.

And within our borders, the Sunshine Coast ranks in the top five dangerous places in the nation.

So dangerous that one of the nations top medical toxinologists, who is based in Melbourne, comes to Nambour Hospital as often as possible V to get experience.

Deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit Dr Bill Nimo organised a weekend Toxinology conference at Twin Waters Resort to help rural GPs and medical experts get more information about treatment for snake and spider bites.

The Sunshine Coast is the capital for a lot of bites and stings, he said.

But with more overseas doctors now here who dont know our creatures, and the shortening of medical tenures from six to five years, this area of knowledge is just not being taught anymore.

Dr Nimo said fables such as the white-tailed spiders so-called necrotising effect, where flesh supposedly falls off  grew because GPs just didn't know the truth.

It doesn't happen, he said. You see awful pictures, but when you look, it was something else, a drug reaction (perhaps).

On the other hand, dangerous funnel web spiders are plentiful around the Coast and there are plenty of snakes tigers, brown, rough-scaled  here.

As for marine life, the Steve Irwin tragedy underlines the need to being very careful with bites, stings and barbs.

It was not venom that killed Steve it was trauma, Dr Nimo said.

He was stabbed in the heart.

Even if someone gets just a cut, a doctor may send them home, saying its a superficial cut.

But if its in the torso, it can kill. If anyone gets one, they should go for help.

Dr Nimos advice for any bite or sting is to give first-aid and contact triple-0, or get to a hospital.

Edited by Lecorbusier

• RMweb Premium

By ALAN LANDER

AUSTRALIA is known as the most lethal place on Earth when it comes to deadly animals and marine life.

And within our borders, the Sunshine Coast ranks in the top five dangerous places in the nation.

So dangerous that one of the nations top medical toxinologists, who is based in Melbourne, comes to Nambour Hospital as often as possible V to get experience.

Deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit Dr Bill Nimo organised a weekend Toxinology conference at Twin Waters Resort to help rural GPs and medical experts get more information about treatment for snake and spider bites.

But with more overseas doctors now here who dont know our creatures, and the shortening of medical tenures from six to five years, this area of knowledge is just not being taught anymore.

Dr Nimo said fables such as the white-tailed spiders so-called necrotising effect, where flesh supposedly falls off  grew because GPs just didn't know the truth.

It doesn't happen, he said. You see awful pictures, but when you look, it was something else, a drug reaction (perhaps).

On the other hand, dangerous funnel web spiders are plentiful around the Coast and there are plenty of snakes tigers, brown, rough-scaled  here.

As for marine life, the Steve Irwin tragedy underlines the need to being very careful with bites, stings and barbs.

Even if someone gets just a cut, a doctor may send them home, saying its a superficial cut.

But if its in the torso, it can kill. If anyone gets one, they should go for help.

Dr Nimos advice for any bite or sting is to give first-aid and contact triple-0, or get to a hospital.

Not trying to put anyone off, but have a look at this topic:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125159-for-those-that-fear-coming-to-australia/

• RMweb Premium

This time last year we were looking at this...

post-7650-0-97524200-1548676613_thumb.jpg

The Blue Lake at Mount Gambier on the Great Ocean Road - for us from Murray Bridge to Melbourne

It was 41C and lovely!  

We then had an ice cream in the air conditioned shop before continuing on our way.

Baz

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

never been but may be one day during retirement

• RMweb Premium

I am sure there are lots of lovely places in Australia, like there is all over the world. I am sure there are loads of nice people in Australia, like there is all over the world. I am sure the food is good in Australia, like it is all over the world. I just never had a desire to visit Australia, like the rest of the world. I have been abroad ( including the Isle of White) and enjoyed myself whilst I was in the various places I have been to.  I am sure I would should someone or a reason take to Australia. I am happy with Britain, there is still loads of places I haven't seen or been to and many more I would like to visit again before I say good bye to this planet.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

By ALAN LANDER

As Phil Tufnell put it on TMS, everything in Australia is trying to kill you, spiders, snakes ... and fast bowlers.

I've not been there, but I'd like to see it - if you could cool it down a bit, and move it a little closer.

Thanks again, Martin,

However, without appearing ungrateful, perhaps I should elaborate on my understanding of current technologies......

For one, I don't have blue tooth, blue ray or blue anything - though the TVR I owned was blue.

I have a DVD player (somewhere); however, at the moment I don't have a grandchild to show me how to operate it.

My mobile phone (if I could remember where I put it) is 13 years old! The last time I made a call on it was last July! 

I don't think our telly is widescreen - it's 11 years old.

My own computer is even older, and the one I'm using this to post on is nine years old - I'm told that's old in computer lives. 

My younger son speaks to some gadget and it then plays music. I have a radio (10 years old) which does the same thing if I switch it on, though I find it difficult to change channels. For some reason it comes on at eight in the morning and switches itself off an hour later. It's a mystery. I long for the one I had as a boy, where one turned a knob and got things like Hilversom (or Hilversome, or Hilversum - I've forgotten how it was spelled). Speaking of radios, the one in my current car (four years old) is totally incomprehensible. Not only that, the onboard computer is also incomprehensible, as is its manual. 

My eyesight is probably not good enough to fully-distinguish the number of lines on a telly screen. Didn't it used to be 405 and 625? Regarding tellies, why do adverts play louder? 

Anything else? I live in blissful ignorance of modernity. Though I use a digital darkroom, the programme I use is from 2007, which I understand. My cameras are, obviously digital, but I made the mistake once of looking through some of the sub-menus. I had to take one of them back to a camera shop to get it 'back to normal'! The guy who 'fixed' it was certainly young (or old?) enough to be my grandson. Why don't the manufacturers of such complex gadgetry today offer a free grandchild with each purchase? 

Do I want to learn? No.

But, thanks for trying to explain. It's analogous to giving a lecture on advanced nuclear physics to 3C! 

Regards,

Tony.

Ahhhh what about DCC?

Hehe

• RMweb Gold

I had a very close encounter with a big brown snake - slithered past a couple of feet from me while I was enjoying a picnic and a glass

of wine in the Snowy Mountains. On the same day we also saw a tiger snake, but I was on the back of a horse at the time so felt

slightly less exposed.

I had significant wanderlust in my 20s and 30s but although we still travel occasionally, the wanderlust is all but gone. I'm very happy

where I live. My wife and I have just returned from looking for otters 10 minutes walk from our house, and although we didn't spot

an otter today, we did see an egret and I "copped" a kingfisher on my jog last week.

• Like 2

Am I the only person who reads this thread who has never been to Australia, not likely to go, never had a reason to go or has ever had a desire to go?

Clive, no you are not alone as I have never been nor am I likely to being a poor pensioner shielding his loot from HMRC clutches (legally). However whilst I was employed one of my employers sent me to Hong Kong many times, Bangladesh, Thailand, South Africa, Mocambique and Eire. I also managed to visit California and Canada enroute from Hong Kong effectively circumnavigating the globe.

Tim T

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been to Canvey Island.

When I worked for the National Blood Service there use to be a nice Pie and Mash Shop we use to have lunch in when we held a donor session on Canvey Island. Can't get Pie and Mash here in Lincolnshire :cry: :cry:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I worked for the National Blood Service there use to be a nice Pie and Mash Shop we use to have lunch in when we held a donor session on Canvey Island. Can't get Pie and Mash here in Lincolnshire :cry: :cry:

My Mum used to work at the Brentwood Blood Bank - wrote the book on freezing blood. My brother in law also worked then until they closed it.