Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hi Tony

Love all these photos of the Sidney Harbour Bridge, fabulous country and great people.

When I first saw that Sidney Harbour Bridge it was a mind blowing sight, I must of photographed it from every conceivable angle possible

This is yet another photo of the bridge but taken from an angle you don't see very often.

Regards

David 

post-6557-0-60888000-1548695762_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you got any of the Hungry Horse chain of pubs in your neck of the woods? They do a very nice steak and ale pie, you can swap the normally offered chips for mash, comes with lashings of gravy as well:)

I was on about real East London pie and mash, with liquor. The pies are minced beef and onion in a flakey type pastry, not like normal meat pie pastry. mash is mash. The liquor is a parsley sauce made from the juice off the jelly eels. Best served with vinegar with chilies in it. It pre-dates fish and chips as a "fast food".

post-16423-0-89084000-1548698438_thumb.jpg 

• Like 7

Just to change the subject a bit - Have just received  my subs copy of BRM which has the Little Bytham DVD on the front cover attached with gorilla snot. Very nice film showing a variety of trains on the M&GN and ECML sections. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve been to Canvey Island.

And got off again?

I've been to lots of places but not Australia though I was lucky to travel to quite a few places when I was younger. Last few years have mainly been to Italy, a superb country and we've been to take our daughter's to art galleries in Venice and Rome and the opera in Verona in preparation for their courses at University. But then I live in Dorset, people travel here for holidays and to drive annoyingly slowly forgetting that some of us have to get to work.

Back to trains, tranquility in rural Norfolk.

post-12773-0-24556000-1548700854_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-28598800-1548700868_thumb.jpg

Water to be varnished at a later date. Garage is too cold and I don't want to get a poor finish.

Martyn

• Like 11

Australia - I've been on quite a few 747's going there from Heathrow, Frankfurt & Munich. Never been there though as our destination on these flights was Bangkok - one day we would like to go there - Sydney, Great Barrier Reef, perhaps the Indian Pacific across to Perth or The Ghan up to Alice Springs / Darwin (not the one near Bolton !!). Lots of nothing to see I believe !!

Talking of bucket lists, Train journeys I would love to do - Trans Siberia, The new line China to Tibet (trains are pressurised like aircraft due to the altitude),  Guayaquil & Quito, Lima to Huancayo (both across the Andes) and anything long distance in N America / Canada, No1 being Denver - Salt Lake City  on Amtrak's California Zephyr. Perhaps this last one I will actually do one day.

Here's a useful Amtrak train tracker map in real time -- https://asm.transitdocs.com/map

We have been Bankok to Chiang Mai & Bangkok to Hat Yai both by sleeper - superb journeys those were, many years ago. Everyone in our family (except me) these days want's to fly everywhere - why ?

Dreams !!! - Off to Manchester tomorrow, A DMU via Bolton or a 319 Electric via Golborne - I might look out for a last ride on a Pacer -- A "Great train journey of the world" - NOT !!!!!!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2

Simply had to post! Australia - been twice - the first time in 2007 eeing ex sugar cane engine in Port Douglas as well as a Leeds built Fowler tank engine on a plinth.

Computers - love em!

And after having been incredibly generously given a 60th birthday present of a London Road Models J6 by Mr. Wright ... 11 years later it is well underway!! It might even be running this year!!!

Hoping Mo is well recovered!

I'm normally just a daily reader of this brilliant forum. Long may it continue!

• RMweb Gold

In all honesty, I have never been abroad in my life despite being a millennial.

The only time I have left this island was to visit Anglesey and the Isle of Wight.

And yet I now drive round in a ex Hong Kong bus most days, partly for capacity reasons but also because I always liked them from photos :)

• RMweb Premium

Never had the wanderlust, particularly not the "Gap Year" thing, where people went "travelling", which sounds so much more laudable than "I'm going on holiday at Mummy & Daddy's expense for 12 months".  I've been for work/holidays to quite a few countries but I've never had a bucket list and am not the sort of person to have one (sometimes it's as if the one thing that should be on everybody's bucket list, is to have a bucket list).

Actually a friend of mine did go travelling, spending about 8 months in Oz, frequently working to fund his travel (including a spell in a Sydney bank), met his future wife (Swiss) on the Adelaide - Perth train.  I admire him for doing the travelling but have never felt that urge.  He got sent to Seattle by his employer for 9 months and came back over 2.5 years later.  They've just moved to Munich, probably permanently; the other couple we met up with in Perth (more Uni friends) while they were taking 6 months off to travel, have lived in Austria for a decade.

All these friends actually know Britain a bit, have moved around for work etc.  I've commented on here before how many people who can tell me chapter and verse about some country on the other side of the world, but couldn't place Leeds on a map of the UK, or name the National Parks.  While many cannot afford to travel - and plenty have no desire to - it is amazing how many affluent middle class people apparently never travel more than an hour from home unless it's to get to the airport.

Never had the wanderlust, particularly not the "Gap Year" thing, where people went "travelling", which sounds so much more laudable than "I'm going on holiday at Mummy & Daddy's expense for 12 months".  

All of my friends and most others who had a gap year between school and University in the eighties spent the first 3 to 4 months working wherever they could to save up the money and then travelled on a shoe string using student travel passes and staying in student hostels. Most ended up working in bars or night clubs at various points around Europe or the far east in order to get home again.

Just saying. 

No criticism of those who chose not to travel (I didn't until later), but I always thought their efforts were both laudable and quite brave at that age.

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got a new DVD, with Little Bytham on it

Will watch this weekend.

Nice article in BRM as well.

However a DCC wagon for £40!!!!

As to travelling, I once read a good reason for caravanning over flying and hotel.

You get a decent car at the other end (writers was a 3.0 Carlton)

• Like 1

Tech stuff I use as needed.  For example I am looking at getting a new IP address so that I can view certain UK stuff here in the GWN.  However, where I really appreciate tech stuff are the videos of model railway shows on U-Tube because it is the only way I can get to the shows.  Further, one really appreciates the better quality videos as well as the Nerds who put in titles, scale and gauge although my colleague and I are still trying to figure out why some the locos move in a stuttering fashion throughout the video or occasionally during the video.

Edited by Theakerr

Holiday snaps?

Perhaps not on a model railway forum, unless they're pictures of model railways.

Whether the recent ones have 'ruined' this thread, I don't know, but it's all things to all men, and women, I suppose.

Our reason for visiting Australia was not 'on holiday' as such, but in response to the generous invitation of the BRMA, whose committee (via Jesse Sim, I suppose) asked me to give talks/demonstrations in Sydney at the annual convention. Though there are thousands of reasons to visit that great land, if you do (when you do I'd recommend), try and make it coincidental with the convention. I'm sure a visitor would be most-welcome. 

I've produced a little write-up of our time at the convention in the latest BRM. As I say in that, the reception I received was humbling, the friendships made are life-long and the hospitality is second to none. 

I actually did some soldering, made folk laugh, looked for the emergency exit when DCC was mentioned, thought some of the layouts I saw were as bad as many one sees in the UK (maybe even worse), blinked at the prices asked for RTR items and also saw some of the finest modelling one could ever see. 

post-18225-0-42048000-1548708225_thumb.jpg

Model-making of this standard, by Chris Williams in 7mm.

post-18225-0-01966100-1548708275_thumb.jpg

Or this Britannia by Chris in 4mm.

And it wasn't just getting-older old ex-pats who were showing their skills..........

post-18225-0-02910300-1548708371_thumb.jpg

Jesse Sim, inspired by Graham Nichols, explained (wonderfully-well) how to modify Peco points to give the correct track centres.

On a different note, may I please thank all those who've made favourable comments about Little Bytham in the latest issue of BRM? In my article and on the DVD, I mention good running. This afternoon, two friends and I witnessed the complete opposite of good running when we operated the layout. Not the layout's fault, but mine. I failed to set the correct routes, flick the right switches and select the correct sections, time after time. Did it matter? Not really, and, if nothing else, it showed that, despite my cock-ups, the actual performance of the layout was impeccable; apart from one wagon derailing in a train of 50. On investigation, it was the only one which was compensated!

I think I talked too much! Hard to believe, I know.

So, may we have more modelling pictures, please? 

• Like 9

Tony,

How did you put in the blast pipe to boiler fastenings on your loco (K3?)?  I am still plodding along on my DJH A2 kit and the blast pipe seems to consist of a piece of 1mm tube (rod).  I really don't fancy using the old method of a split pin because it results in something that is rather over-scale.

Thanks

Simply had to post! Australia - been twice - the first time in 2007 eeing ex sugar cane engine in Port Douglas as well as a Leeds built Fowler tank engine on a plinth.

Computers - love em!

And after having been incredibly generously given a 60th birthday present of a London Road Models J6 by Mr. Wright ... 11 years later it is well underway!! It might even be running this year!!!

Hoping Mo is well recovered!

I'm normally just a daily reader of this brilliant forum. Long may it continue!

She's getting better Dave,

Many thanks.

Tony. 

• Like 3

Tony,

How did you put in the blast pipe to boiler fastenings on your loco (K3?)?  I am still plodding along on my DJH A2 kit and the blast pipe seems to consist of a piece of 1mm tube (rod).  I really don't fancy using the old method of a split pin because it results in something that is rather over-scale.

Thanks

Blast pipe?

The blast pipe is invisible, inside the smokebox. 

Do you mean the vacuum ejector pipe, running the length of the boiler on the driven side?

It's the one supplied in the kit, in cast metal. Normally, I reject such items (and replace them with appropriate diameter brass rod), but this one was well-formed and to scale. It has little pips to its rear, coinciding with the clips. I just drilled holes in the boiler to take these and soldered the thing in place. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony

Glad to read Mo is getting better.

Sorry to cause a diversion on here, but I have been modelling and LNER steam locomotive related.

A Stothert and Pitt electric coal elevator.

post-16423-0-24657300-1548709556_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-95022500-1548709564_thumb.jpg

I had to hold it I  place when the bucket lift is at the top as it isn't fixed to its base yet. With the lift at the bottom, the lift holds it up.

post-16423-0-86140000-1548709687_thumb.jpg

I don't think too many diesel modellers even know about these let alone would model one.

• Like 9

Hello Tony

Glad to read Mo is getting better.

Sorry to cause a diversion on here, but I have been modelling and LNER steam locomotive related.

A Stothert and Pitt electric coal elevator.

attachicon.gif100_5624a.jpg

attachicon.gif100_5627a.jpg

I had to hold it I  place when the bucket lift is at the top as it isn't fixed to its base yet. With the lift at the bottom, the lift holds it up.

attachicon.gif100_5617.JPG

I don't think too many diesel modellers even know about these let alone would model one.

A diversion, Clive?

Nonsense, it's back to where it belongs.

Just one thing, may I please divert you away from your building of that electric coal elevator, at least for a short time? Divert you long enough to dispose of those ghastly tension-locks! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

I've been out in the shed railway modelling today.   Thanks to the generosity of a friend here on RMWeb my 2-4-0 now has the correct chimney.  I arrived in the post today so got soldered on tonight along with the sandbox filler caps.   I was just going to photograph the loco body but thought, what the heck, put it on it's wheels and put the tender on as well.   It as nice to see a kit that I first started back in 2003 but restarted just before Christmas looking like a loco.

post-6824-0-79292400-1548710526_thumb.jpg

There's still quite a bit to do such as the brakes, handrails, ejector pipe etc but it is starting to look the part.  It's from a Shedmaster kit, now marketed by Laurie Griffin, with the tender from Fourtrack.  

However before I could, in all conscience, sit down and start soldering I had to make a start on tidying the shed and sorting out my workshop area.   This was the view this morning.

post-6824-0-19320600-1548710520_thumb.jpg

The layout can just be glimpsed behind the table that's full of ripening persimmons in boxes. The area on the left is now clear, the boxes are in the trailer to go to the tip and the gardening stuff is neatly in a set of racking in their place. The lovely little unimat is now on the table that the gardening stuff was on round the corner to the left beyond the modelling room.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10