Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

There is of course also the internet although one has to take it with more than a pinch of salt as at times because it is almost as easy to come across total nonsense as it is to receive carefully checked information and good advice based on experience rather than invention.

That's right. To illustrate this, I'm just building a Parkside LNER cattle wagon. I think it's been a bit of controversial subject after Oxford Rail put out a 9 foot wheelbase version in BR colours when according to the writings of several people, none made it. But Peter Tatlow contradicts this in his set of books on LNER wagons stating that the 9 foot version did but also saying that no 10 foot wheelbase ones made it past 1947.  So who do you believe?

In fact Steve Banks who has done a thorough article on them has suggested that Peter has now admitted that his data may have got a little mixed up and muddled on that particular wagon. But this illustrates your point.

BTW I'm modifying the kit giving the wagon a 10 foot wheelbase with AVB to run on my layout set BR early to mid 50s.  I'm looking at a picture of one the last survivors of this version in 1963 so I'm reasonably confident that it's correct.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I loath sycophancy, and, like Jol Wilkinson, I'm puzzled on occasions with all the swooning and 'liking' one sees on other threads (not here!), often of quite mediocre work. I also loath destructive criticism, but some seem to bask in often 'reflected glory', believing themselves to be 'master-modellers', when the contrary is true. 

I had to double check the meaning of sycophancy. What I believe we used to call brown nosing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jol

I was glad when the disagree button was removed. I had people disagree on post where I was showing my modelling, was I doing it wrong, was it not to their liking or was I building the wrong thing for myself? I did PM a few of these people asking "Why disagree with what I am making?" and not one ever came back and said why.

Disagree when I post some tosh about the prototype or disagree when I am pontificating about something. Disagreeing about my model and then not saying why, what was the point.

Sadly, it was abused by people who were generally disruptive and they were more likely use it to needle someone than to give a valid balance. Its removal meant they either had to qualify their position or shut up.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

49 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I try and 'grade' my criticisms with regard to whose work I'm being 'critical' of. I suppose this comes from my years in teaching, where some oiks just needed a gentle word, while others needed a 'kick up the pants'! 

At work QC actually had tickets printed with NBG or NFG to put on batches of finished parts. Neither were used very often but they did provide the desired kick up the pants in cases where a polite request to keep an eye out for any bad parts was considered not to be enough.

I did at one time long ago cause a bit of a fuss on the forum when I suggested  that a certain poster tore up his plans and started again. I would never make a comment like that to a person who is here for their hobby, but in the case in point it was a representative of a commercial concern, who was trying to pick peoples brains in respect of his project. He did have a bit of a reputation for being rather blunt himself, hence I thought my tone appropriate. I believe Andy sorted things out by rehashing my comment in a rather more diplomatic tone.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

At work QC actually had tickets printed with NBG or NFG to put on batches of finished parts. Neither were used very often but they did provide the desired kick up the pants in cases where a polite request to keep an eye out for any bad parts was considered not to be enough.

I did at one time long ago cause a bit of a fuss on the forum when I suggested  that a certain poster tore up his plans and started again. I would never make a comment like that to a person who is here for their hobby, but in the case in point it was a representative of a commercial concern, who was trying to pick peoples brains in respect of his project. He did have a bit of a reputation for being rather blunt himself, hence I thought my tone appropriate. I believe Andy sorted things out by rehashing my comment in a rather more diplomatic tone.

Bernard

We had NBG labels too - we use to get a motor to our spec supplied but their QC was awful.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Jol

I was glad when the disagree button was removed. I had people disagree on post where I was showing my modelling, was I doing it wrong, was it not to their liking or was I building the wrong thing for myself? I did PM a few of these people asking "Why disagree with what I am making?" and not one ever came back and said why.

Disagree when I post some tosh about the prototype or disagree when I am pontificating about something. Disagreeing about my model and then not saying why, what was the point.

Hi Clive

It might be that they were reading on an iPad and caught the disagree button by accident. I have done this in the past but I have usually noticed and either removed or corrected my rating.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi Clive

It might be that they were reading on an iPad and caught the disagree button by accident. I have done this in the past but I have usually noticed and either removed or corrected my rating.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

One chap did do just that, he hadn't noticed until I sent him a PM so fair enough. It was the others who never answered the PM.

Felt a bit "off" this afternoon so I retired to a nice comfy leather armchair (THAT'S MINE !!!!)  in the living room bay window - with a view to the WCML and the Pendolinos etc whizzing past at the end of the street..

Three books from my library, and a hot cuppa or two, I was away, back in 1958 - 1978, East Coast mainline London Kings Cross to Welwyn.. My companions were 

The Book of the Great Northern Vol 1

Kings Cross Lineside 1958 - 1984

Diesels out of Kings Cross.

What wonderful books these are (photographically at least). What a great deal of "railway" we have lost - for ever.

Very little modelling by me this year so little to talk about. It's cold in both loft and garage, so just a hours running or so every other day or so. I however am doing a lot on the kitchen table - necessary but boring jobs, repairs and fitting Kadee couplings to selected O gauge freight cars, servicing locos etc. I'm looking forward to spring !

Brit15

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I loath sycophancy, and, like Jol Wilkinson, I'm puzzled on occasions with all the swooning and 'liking' one sees on other threads (not here!), often of quite mediocre work. I also loath destructive criticism, but some seem to bask in often 'reflected glory', believing themselves to be 'master-modellers', when the contrary is true. 

I had to search my conscience before posting this, because I quite enjoy seeing the "likes" when I put up an example of my work. I've  convinced myself it is because its good to know that folk have actually looked and either seen some merit, or at last something of interest in my work. If a comment, either good or bad, is forthcoming, then so much the better.

I'm certainly not a master modeller, nor will ever be, but if I have, on my own threads, helped others  to have a go, then I have achieved what I set out to do It would be a shame if only gifted builders felt able to post their work. But, other than the number of views, use of the buttons or an actual comment is the only way for a poster to gauge whether carrying on is worthwhile.

Perhaps a button which means "why on earth are you posting this rubbish" would be helpful?

John

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, rowanj said:

I had to search my conscience before posting this, because I quite enjoy seeing the "likes" when I put up an example of my work. I've  convinced myself it is because its good to know that folk have actually looked and either seen some merit, or at last something of interest in my work. If a comment, either good or bad, is forthcoming, then so much the better.

I'm certainly not a master modeller, nor will ever be, but if I have, on my own threads, helped others  to have a go, then I have achieved what I set out to do It would be a shame if only gifted builders felt able to post their work. But, other than the number of views, use of the buttons or an actual comment is the only way for a poster to gauge whether carrying on is worthwhile.

John

I for one am in agreement with you on this; thank you for putting it so well. I'll admit though that I'm not in favour of dishing out 'Likes' willy-nilly, but am nonetheless very much in favour of seeing everybody's work; masters, journeymen and beginners alike. I have picked up tips and tricks, and ideas have been sparked, from all corners of RMWeb. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Lecorbusier said:

The only other 'proper' model shop I frequented was the one on the Headington roundabout in Oxford during my University days ... again this seemed pretty good .. If I recall correctly it was called 'Motor Books of Oxford'.

It would be interesting to know if I am indeed suffering from a 'rose tinted view' or if these shops would be deemed to pass muster.

Not a rose-tinted view at all Mr L - that shop was in its prime when owned by the Oxford Publishing Company and managed by Geoff Osborne, who left when Motor Books of Charing Cross Road took over - he then set up Osborne's Models a few miles south in Abingdon, which has in turn migrated even further afield to North Devon under new ownership.  OPC/Motor Books at the Green Road roundabout was an excellent shop that led me down the path to scratch-building in 7mm scale - the combination of a huge range of own label railway reference books, scratch-builder materials and knowledgeable staff made it a truly first rate modelling resource which I still miss very much.

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, DavidB said:

Not a rose-tinted view at all Mr L - that shop was in its prime when owned by the Oxford Publishing Company and managed by Geoff Osborne, who left when Motor Books of Charing Cross Road took over - he then set up Osborne's Models a few miles south in Abingdon, which has in turn migrated even further afield to North Devon under new ownership.  OPC/Motor Books at the Green Road roundabout was an excellent shop that led me down the path to scratch-building in 7mm scale - the combination of a huge range of own label railway reference books, scratch-builder materials and knowledgeable staff made it a truly first rate modelling resource which I still miss very much.

David

That was very much a favourite shop of mine back in those days.

As you say they did have a good stock of 7mm stuff. Both finished models and parts. Interesting to look at although not of direct interest to me.

I remember that for some reason Smiths at Kings Cross would not stock OPC publications while Paddington at that time had an excellent display. In fact one of the best outlets for railway books in London.

It must have been in the Motor Books period when I would call in there and then continue to Kidlington to visit Howes for my German interests although I do remember when they were in Broad Street. As a joint book and model shop OPC was as good as it gets. 

Bernard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rowanj said:

Perhaps a button which means "why on earth are you posting this rubbish" would be helpful?

John

If you had to search your conscience before posting the above, then may I please congratulate you on being a most-conscientious man, John? 

I don't think this thread is the sole 'property' of gifted builders at all. I'd be horrified if it were.  What it is is a forum for every modeller to show their work, to be encouraged in what they're doing and to be a vehicle for constructive criticism, and learning. I stress their work. Whatever the standard, as I've said on too many occasions, nothing beats being able to say 'I made/modified that', however humble. 

Talking of criticism (and being able to take it), having looked again at the DVD on Little Bytham which Andy York has so kindly enabled me to put on here this evening, I note yet again evidence of my being a hypocrite. I blather on about correct lamps in it, and then find I've put some non-fitted vans in a couple of trains hauled by a loco ostensibly lamped-up for a fully-fitted freight! How stupid, how careless. Instead of being 'instructive', it's misleading.  

Other 'mistakes' included not crediting Chris Walsh with doing the excellent editing, not mentioning John Houlden's carriages nor Paul Marshall Potter's figures. There are probably others who deserved a mention as well.

Carrying on with being critical, may I invite comments on it, please? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

With my most grateful thanks to Andy York, I'm now inserting (I hope) the second 1958 LB DVD. If you want to know more, may I suggest you buy the current issue of BRM, please? 

May I ask, please, if anyone 'likes' it, they make a donation on their own behalf to Cancer Research UK?

Many thanks in anticipation.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mJEmrBFjU

Evening Tony,

so that is what average looks like. I guess that's the rest of us b******d. A criticism, consists and cars, really!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Carrying on with being critical, may I invite comments on it, please? 

It is not anything that has struck me before given normal viewing distances and angles but the side-on view of Silver Link on an ECS working jumped out. Having thrown that grenade in I wonder how many figures would be required to populate Tony's ample roster of coaching stock? Please note; I'm not volunteering, just stirring the pot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Evening Tony,

so that is what average looks like. I guess that's the rest of us b******d. A criticism, consists and cars, really!

I'm sorry Andrew,

I know 'consist' is probably an Americanism, and I've often called coaches/carriages 'cars'. After all, weren't catering, sleeping and Pullman vehicles called 'cars'. 

Note to self - get it right in future!

Thanks and regards,

Tony. 

3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It is not anything that has struck me before given normal viewing distances and angles but the side-on view of Silver Link on an ECS working jumped out. Having thrown that grenade in I wonder how many figures would be required to populate Tony's ample roster of coaching stock? Please note; I'm not volunteering, just stirring the pot.

It's an on-going job, Andy,

A friend has just painted dozens of seated figures (in 1950s' dull garb), for me to insert into the carriages. 

In 2017, I wrote a piece for BRM about coach interiors. Part of that included fitting figures - some standing, some sitting. I took it further (not illustrated) afterwards, and added some more figures - about a dozen. They were instantly-consumed! 

Now, here's the rub. There are more than 175 carriages for use on LB. Some are spares, but around 150 are in use at any one time. Since I wasn't very good at hard sums, I won't even contemplate suggesting a figure for the number of figures required to populate those carriages. Thousands? Granted, just figures alongside the immediate interiors of windows can suggest a greater number of model passengers, but, even so.  

Actually, SILVER LINK isn't on an 'empty stock train'. There are a couple of blokes leaning against the bar in the triplet set, and an attendant behind it! You blink, and miss them, especially as they're invisible in the footage.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rowanj said:

John

To coin a phrase, I resemble that remark!   Most of the time I have no other showcase than RMWeb to display my meagre efforts and if, by doing so, I elicit constructive criticism, suggestions and encouragement that is to my benefit as it will enthuse me to continue and improve (hopefully).   I also have the hope that I may encourage others who, like me, do not consider themselves worthy to share space with some of the masters of the craft to put themselves out there and say 'Hey we're not as good as you - yet, but we're having a go!'

On the subject of model shops of the past, a couple of names from my very formative years (age 10-12) spring to mind.   Firstly, a wonderful toy shop in Lincoln called Bycroft's Emporium where I bought a Trix Britannia for 5 guineas, secondly a similar establishment on, I believe, Arkwright Street in Nottingham called Beecrofts (confusing) and, lastly, the model railway section upstairs at Redmayne and Todds, a sports shop, again on Arkwright Street ( if you were into cricket I believe they were the main agents for Gunn and Moore of Nottingham).    I suppose all three would be classed today as box shifters rather than old fashioned model shops but to a railway mad 10 year old they were heaven!

Regards

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rowanj said:

It seems likely that Mr. Wright's comments might have been misconstrued to some degree, but it is easy to see why. I don't recall anyone stating 'look at my work isn't it great!'

Pretty much everyone is modest about their work.

I think perhaps this edit might have been unnecessary though...

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It's an on-going job, Andy,

A friend has just painted dozens of seated figures (in 1950s' dull garb), for me to insert into the carriages. 

In 2017, I wrote a piece for BRM about coach interiors. Part of that included fitting figures - some standing, some sitting. I took it further (not illustrated) afterwards, and added some more figures - about a dozen. They were instantly-consumed! 

Now, here's the rub. There are more than 175 carriages for use on LB. Some are spares, but around 150 are in use at any one time. Since I wasn't very good at hard sums, I won't even contemplate suggesting a figure for the number of figures required to populate those carriages. Thousands? Granted, just figures alongside the immediate interiors of windows can suggest a greater number of model passengers, but, even so.  

My dream future layout (baseboard framework built in loft, but it seems to have evolved into a large shelf) would have a real problem here, as one major feature would be carriage sidings.  When the trains are running around the layout as if "in service", they should contain passengers, but in the sidings.....

I did wonder about only filling just one motley rake of Mk1s/2s with people, including one at almost every droplight, and have it as an enthusiasts special!  Then if it was in the sidings, it had obviously been requested by the "track bashers".

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Model Shops where does one begin? Having emigrated to Australia as an 8 year old in 1964 I don't have much if any personal recollection of model shops in the UK in my early years. Although I do recall before we left that Dad and I went down to Devon to visit his father's grave in Torquay - our outward journey to Exeter was on the ACE behind Clan Line! What I remember is that we went to visit someone selling secondhand stuff in Brixham. On offer was a sratchbuilt LNER C1 and as Sentinel Railcar both at £25 but we came away with a Triang L1 as both the others were way beyond our budget.

On arrival in Adelaide mostly we had to make do with the two local model shops in Adelaide who strangely enough were directly opposite each other in a small side street. From one of these, Bridgelands we bought my Triang Rocket set which I still have - but its no good to a collector as I modified it by painting the chimney white and replacing the tender wheels with metal ones so I could add additional pickup. I can't run it now as I haven't had any old Code 100 track or points with wide clearances!

However, to get a lot of what we wanted we had to deal with UK shops from afar. I recall also in the early 70s I think there was a shop in Liverpool (?) - Vanguard Models who had an agent in Sydney with whom you could place your order, pay in Aussie $ and eventually a parcel would arrive direct from the UK. I think we got a BEC J11 and D11 in this way.

My first experience of ordering direct in 1976 was purchasing a NuCast Q6. It eventually arrived via South Africa because I had only put SA in the address not South Australia or even Australia - lesson learnt! Once I had it I noted there was no chassis so they had to then send that but of course it was a lump of W/M and only had 3 axles parallel, the front axle was at an obscure angle to the others. I ended up building it in the early 80s using Ks O4 brass frames which were available separately from Ks and close enough at the time in wheelbase - I had already purchased a set for an old secondhand O4 which had the original key slot chassis and all metal Ks wheels to which I wished to fit Romfords. Another early experience in the late 70s was with Bristol Models from whom I purchased a V2 and chassis as well as a chassis for a Wills K3.

Another shop that Dad dealt with in the UK was Bob Denny, in Nottingham I think, who supplied lots of HD spares. 

From the late 70s I started to deal with Peter Bramley at Holt Model Railways , who at that time stocked a wide range of kits and components, although I was mainly buying points for my layout initially. I recall one parcel in 1985 comprised a Millholme B5 and a Proscale V2. The B5 was built in 1987 and the V2 still sits a long way down in the unbuilt kit pile - but I know its shortcomings so maybe one day?

On my first visit back to the UK in 1981, on my second day up in London I just happened upon Hamblings - pure coincidence as I had no idea where they were. I came away with the new Hornby B17 which was on my list. That week I managed to get to Chris Crawley at Tottenham and bought 4 volumes of LNER Greenies, terrific. I also started my love affair with D&S kits that day buying a couple. Another quick visit to Chris before we came home and I purchased a Craftsman A5 and a range of D&S wagons including GC, NE and GE cattle wagons, GC double bolster and 5 LNER fish vans, which started my fish train which now comprises about 30 vans with another 8 to build. I was sorely tempted to buy a DJH A1 but it didn't fit my period although I could have got it for Dad. Before flying home I made a quick visit to Rails of Watford (name?) where I got another B17 - this time for Dad as well as A4 Seagull and because they were so cheap there I also bought a Fowler 2-6-4T - wow 3 locos in one hit. I dealt with Chris Crawley a few more times in the early 80s but from afar - I think he moved to Lincolnshire, to an old station building - was it Spilsby? 

Thereafter for many years I dealt with Holt and also Dave Cleal at Mainly Trains who was a godsend to us overseas with his extensive catalogue of 4mm kits and parts. Dad visited Dave with my extensive lists at both Chandlers Ford and Watchet on two of his visits back! But I never got to meet Dave as much as I would have liked to. Another shop I did deal with in the early to mid 1980s was A Bodel, up north somewhere, maybe at Hartlepool who had a very extensive range of wagon kits - so more D&S kits for me.  From the 90s onwards I dealt directly with Danny Pinnock when purchasing his D&S kits - I still do.

Anyway enough of my twoddle I've taken up way too much of your reading time.

Andrew

I well remember Bob Denny’s shop in my teens, must have been the smallest model shop ever to exist, it was actually in Long Eaton opposite the Sawley (now Long Eaton) railway station, 3 customers in the shop and there wasn’t any space left to move around. He specialised in motor rewinds and Hornby  Dublo 3 rail to 2 rail conversions. Bought my first whitemetal kit from there a McGowan LNER B17 seventeen shillings and sixpence. Always had good stocks of components to help the kit and scratch builder.

Many years (decades ?) back there was a company called Micro Metalsmiths (still operating I think in Kirbymoorside), they made a really nice J39 from brass etches and castings with a  Falhauber cordless motor and high quality spur reduction gearbox in the tender driving through a u/j shaft to a final drive gearbox in the loco. Denny must have bought the remaining materials from Micro Metalsmiths when they stopped production of the J39, I happened to look in the shop just after they had been taken into stock.  I picked up a complete J39, one almost complete, 3 of the coreless motor/gearbox/drivetrain combinations and 2 spare coreless motors, all for the sum of £16.50, must have been one of the best bargains I have ever picked up, all still running well.

Edited by Blue Max

I have a workbench thread on the Scalefour Society website and usually post there. One of the things I really like about the S4 site  is that if I have made an error or could have done something better or different then people will say so. That is the way a forum should be, or rather it is what I like them for .  It all gets rather droll when there is nothing constructive added to posts, for me at least it just does not provide the mental stimulation I desire.

I appreciate that not everyone wants that from a forum, some just like to put up what they are doing. I am not sure what the solution is beyond being measured and constructive in making comment on models. That being said, I cannot recall ever seeing a post along the lines of "that is crap" being posted. The only time I have ever had the disagree button used against me was in some of the MRJ threads. Not sure what it is about MRJ that riles some people up so much

So yes, I am all for constructive critical comments.

I don't do a workbench or blog here because I cannot be bothered to maintain more than one (sorry)

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

That's excellent work, Jesse,

And, as you say, it's all by your own hand. Nothing beats that.

Occasionally, when I'm asked to comment on models made by or acquired by others, do you think I'm too blunt (or sharp?) in my assessments, caring not for folk's feelings? 

Yesterday, a chap I've known for some time came along. I've helped him with his modelling on occasions, and he is doing things for himself. He brought along a P2 he'd acquired from a well-known retail outlet, for the princely sum of £125.00. It had been made as well as one might 'reasonably' expect from a K's kit, but - Oh dear. It represented 2002, with the big deflectors. However, the original side sheets at the front had not been cut-back, the inner drivers were flangeless to accommodate the replacement Romford wheels, the cab was wrong (representing the type fitted to 2003-6), as was the tender (no beading, and no curve-in at the front). The cab roof only had one ventilator and the valve gear (which was a bit of a mess) had the return cranks leaning the wrong way. The boiler was misshapen as well. Not only that, on running (he'd removed the DCC chip in 'deference' to me!) it was a bit slow and had a tight spot, more so in forward motion.

On showing it to me, I wonder what he expected? 'Well done, that's a bargain'? 'An excellent purchase'? And so on............. He asked the questions and he got the responses above. 

I don't imply for one moment that the loco was not good value, but only as a starting point. It was painted in grey primer, and I didn't investigate if it had been soldered together or not. My suggestion of either to chuck the lot in paint stripper or boiling water didn't go down too well. Thus, back to a kit again, it might well have been worth continuing with, especially if RP25 Markits' drivers had been substituted. A different gearbox would have made it quicker (it had a Branchlines' 'box and a big Mashima motor), and the tight spot could have been removed. It got quite hot when it ran at top (slow) speed, which suggests mechanical interference. 

'What do you think I should do?' 

'Ebay!' 

Should I be more sensitive to folk's feelings?

Regards,

Tony. 

Many thanks on the comment about the bridge, she’ll be getting the brick glued on today. 

With regards to telling the truth, I would rather be told, if I had a loco, wagon, building or something wrong I’d rather be told so as to get it right.

The way in which you tell people how it is, well, some people might take it as rudeness, but I disagree, you know your stuff Tony, you are a walking, talking encyclopaedia, so I take in as much as I can. Some people when told something is wrong they say “oh rule 1”, “it’s my layout”, that’s fine, however, I like to have things correct. As a railway modeller you are recreating history. I think Graham Nicholas wrote the words in March 2016 on Grantham, that he won’t want people believing X is Y because they seen it on his layout. 

Obviosuly there are limitations, as with Brighton Junction, it’s totally fictitious, but the train formations, practice and history around it is true. 

So so I say YES, tell the truth. 

If you are asking someone what do you think, they are expecting the truth. 

Please be kind about the grammar mistakes. 

Jesse 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1