Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, ScRSG said:

Any comment on the Airfix cattle wagon?

Afternoon ScSRG,

I think it is generally regarded as a good model, the main modifications seem to revolve around the doors and their over scale working hinges. As with other cattle wagons, there were probably a few detail differences between batches.

Steve Banks had a bash at the door in this little piece.

https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/135-br-cattle-wagon

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, ScRSG said:

Any comment on the Airfix cattle wagon?

Still the best BR wagon around. Tidy up the gimmicky door hinges, brass tiebar and rails and you have a more than adequate layout wagon. Here is one beside the too long Bachmann one.

IMG_2219.JPG.c820490147d5437856718299598f675f.JPG

And one of an unmodified one, altered and the RTR version.

782144695_ThreeBRcattlewagons.jpg.62ff9db80954e53f8244dfc2823b08a2.jpg

Edited by Ben Alder
Extra pic.
  • Like 10

Sorry to bump us all back a while team, but still working out the new RMweb and catching up on things missed. And I'll get you back for that 'tall, red Zane' comment Craig-even if it is true!

On 05/02/2019 at 22:05, Jesse Sim said:

Wow, that figure turned out really well Tony, I can actually hear you muttering something about my tattoos again! Hahaha 

how do you go about getting scanned? 

Jesse, If you don't have time to get scanned whilst over in the UK, or even wish to be done beforehand, Andlan Models out here can also do the same scanning and printing of figures. I'm sure it could be arranged with Ian (I'm needing to arrange to get myself done soon anyhow), and there would be no issue having you done to OO scale at all. The website is here at https://www.andianmodels.com/, otherwise shoot me a message and I'll work something out with Ian for you. Typically though it would have to be after a show, unless you want to travel to Coffs Harbour to have it done (mind you, you could actually pose in an O4/ROD if you did!)

On 27/01/2019 at 06:37, Tony Wright said:

post-18225-0-30348400-1548530979_thumb.jpg

Has anyone made a model of this (yes, a model of me has been made)? Very natural colours I think, on a bright day. If anyone ever makes a 'bucket list', have 'visit Sydney' at the very top! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, though not to HO as far as I understand (major engineering challenge that one!). Aside from numerous trinkets and souvenirs, the biggest model I am aware of is one out in a place called Warrick Farm in Southwestern Sydney, described very well in the attached link. Unfortunately I am yet to find a scale for said model-though I doubt it was load tested with 196 steam locomotives like the real thing.
https://mirrorsydney.wordpress.com/tag/warwick-farm-harbour-bridge/

I also just tried shooting you a message containing the A3 photograph you requested a copy of at Liverpool, but it is currently telling me that "Tony Wright cannot receive messages". I am not sure if it is a bug of the new system or not, or what the case is there. I won't post it here on the grounds of I do not know the copyright holder or photographer, so I do not wish to publish it without the permission to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The "Not receiving messages" may be to do with the new software.   I believe that the allowable stache of old messages has been drastically reduced.  I got a message that I couldn't end any new messages a couple of days ago and looked and my storage box was at 210% capacity.  I had to go back and delete a lot of conversations going back several years.  I eventually got it back to about 70% and everything started working again.   I think that the indexing of such things is still ongoing.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 3

On 08/02/2019 at 23:36, RThompson said:

Hello Tony,

Having come across a photo posted on a site today of an overturned A2/1 60608 Duke of Rothesay, I was amazed to see it paired with a 6 wheel tender.

Was this the only LNER Pacific with a 6 wheeled tender and was there a particular reason for it?

After a quick internet search found this photo of it standing right way up, link posted.

Class A2 - 508 DUKE OF ROTHESAY - Thompson LNER/BR 4-6-2 - built 06/44 by Darlington Works as LNER No.3697 - 07/46 to LNER No.508, 05/48 to BR No.60508 - 02/61 withdrawn from 35A New England - seen here at Grantham.

Other have probably commented already, Robert, but here goes.

The four A2/1s, as built, were fitted with GS six-wheeled tenders (as would have been the last four V2s, which these Thompson 'orphans of the storm' became instead). After a time, the capacity (particularly coal) was deemed to be inadequate. Thus, all four received eight-wheeled tenders by BR days, 60508/9/10 getting new-build snap-head riveted tenders, and 60507 inheriting the one off the A4 destroyed in the York air raid - this was flush-sided and carried the strip for the Coronation stainless steel embellishment at the base of the tank. 

The only other LNER Pacifics to have six-wheeled tenders were the Raven Pacifics. These also later received eight-wheeled tenders. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 08/02/2019 at 23:50, rowanj said:

I enjoyed my trainspotting by video at Little Bytham and congratulate all concerned. Mo is an admirable engine driver.

I was interested in the Blue Spot Fish, which has been seen before, with the two added vans behind the brake van. In the commentary, Tony suggested they could have been added at Arbroath. This may be possible, but I am sure I have read that it was permissable to add no more than two vans in this fashion to give the gaurd a mor stable and comfortable ride. Or am I dreaming?

Thanks John,

I believe a maximum of six (fitted) swingers were permitted behind the 'van. They might well have steadied the ride for the guard, but I think the principal reason was to not delay the train at intermediate stops by having to split it. Strictly speaking an Up fish train from Scotland would be highly unlikely to be seen at Little Bytham in daylight hours, even in high summer. I think what I'll do is to put the rake running in the Down direction (empty, in daylight). Interestingly, no pictures I know of show the Down train with fish vans outside the brake. Or, I could put those extra vans 'inside' the brake and run it as the Up Hull fish, behind a B1. That did run in daylight.

Regards,

Tony. 

Having not long returned from an absolutely wonderful show at Doncaster, perhaps a brief update from the weekend.

Firstly, may I please thank from the bottom of my heart all those who donated so generously to CRUK, either from my loco doctoring, or from liking the recent LB DVD or just because they wanted to make a donation? Mo and I raised over £180.00! I fixed loads of locos, but failed to 'mend' three. Guess what? They were all N Gauge or OO9. One Minitrix Warship diesel was wired the wrong way - though it ran, it was the opposite polarity. I didn't dare dismantle it, especially as there was one wire poking out just doing nothing! A Farish N Gauge modern DMU had split one of its gears, and an OO9 chassis had a dud motor; fixings way beyond me. 

I made new pick-ups, cured short circuits, resurrected a couple of ancient Hornby-Dublo locos and, best of all, repaired the mangled valve on his Tri-ang FLYING SCOTSMAN for a youngster. I even fixed a DCC Scalextric car!!!!!!!!

What else? Having now attended three shows since my recent 'inflammatory' RM article, would it surprise anyone on here to learn that not one of those anonymous Facebook critics has made themselves known to me? If they've attended these shows, then they've not spoken to me about their 'complaints'. One or two visitors have said that it was a bit 'strong' in part, face to face with me. Good on them; their comments were reasoned, reasonable and made in an adult fashion; 'nough said, I think. 

It was great to see Charwelton 'forwarded' and resurrected. My compliments to the team for such a great job. 

Finally, a weird request. Does anyone out there have a left-hand footplate/valance/splashers (viewed from the rear) for a McGowan B12/3, please? For the Donny Show, I started building this ancient kit as part of my demo. Lo and behold, it had two right-hand footplates! Somewhere out there, there's a McGowan B12/3 with two left-hand footplates. It might sound a bit daft attempting to build one of these pieces of antiquity, but they make excellent 'learning curves' for beginners. They can be picked up very cheaply and there's plenty of metal to soak up the iron heat. 

Alternatively, and I'm asking the experts in the new technologies here; can the right-hand side be scanned, flipped in the computer and then be 3D-printed? 

I await any responses with interest. Or, I could just scratch-build what's needed.

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Alternatively, and I'm asking the experts in the new technologies here; can the right-hand side be scanned, flipped in the computer and then be 3D-printed? 

I await any responses with interest. Or, I could just scratch-build what's needed.

Thanks in anticipation. 

Tony,

If you bring the kit with you to Biggleswade next Saturday, I can have a look to see if I could do something for the B12.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Atso said:

Tony,

If you bring the kit with you to Biggleswade next Saturday, I can have a look to see if I could do something for the B12.

Say hello Steve, I'll probably be on the door taking monies.. . . must remember to do the rest of the drawings for you. . .

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Finally, a weird request. Does anyone out there have a left-hand footplate/valance/splashers (viewed from the rear) for a McGowan B12/3, please? For the Donny Show, I started building this ancient kit as part of my demo. Lo and behold, it had two right-hand footplates! Somewhere out there, there's a McGowan B12/3 with two left-hand footplates. It might sound a bit daft attempting to build one of these pieces of antiquity, but they make excellent 'learning curves' for beginners. They can be picked up very cheaply and there's plenty of metal to soak up the iron heat. 

Thanks in anticipation. 

In theory one could 3D scan the footplate half, fix up the file, flip it and print a new left hand side (for a mould for whitemetal? I can’t say I’m aware of the footplate material ), but to me it would be simpler to get the dimensions off of the RHS one, draw that up and flip it, then print the replacement/mould. Though depending once again on materials and skills in scratchbuilding, you could just make one up at that point and save the worry of drawing it in CAD, printing and then if needed moulding. The one good thing though is the CAD one can be reprinted if something goes wrong-it might take more effort than its worth to fix a scratchbuilt part if issues arise. 

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony 

Sorry I was unable to get to Doncaster but I would come and complained to make your day. 

The reason for my post is there is something very satisfying when you see something run that you have made, even if not complete. I have a pile of MTK DMUs and in the last week built chassis for four which are suitable for my layout and I resurrected a 32 year old project, a cut and shut Cravens unit from Tri-ang coaches. I have had them running today and seeing an eight car DMU formed of four, two car units that I have enjoyed making is a nice feeling.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/02/2019 at 01:38, Clem said:

Already well on the case. Still some detailing but getting there. 

IMG_3532.JPG.72a314bf536475e2a51758bf8557475e.JPG

Hello Clem

One suggestion if I may.  You've gone to a lot of effort to do a really good job on the 10ft cattle van I would also fit replacement correct length buffers. In days gone I would have simply fitted ABS but they're very hard to get now . I'm sure Lanarkshire Models do something suitable.

Regards

Andrew Emmett

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Hello Clem

One suggestion if I may.  You've gone to a lot of effort to do a really good job on the 10ft cattle van I would also fit replacement correct length buffers. In days gone I would have simply fitted ABS but they're very hard to get now . I'm sure Lanarkshire Models do something suitable.

Regards

Andrew Emmett

Thanks Andrew. I agree. I think I fitted those out of impatience more than anything else. It's just that I don't want to add to the unfinished list. But at some stage in the future it'll come in for a refit. Is anybody likely to pick up the ABS brand and tooling or is it gone for good, do you know?  Although many castings were a bit chunky, they certainly looked the part.

On another subject... This is how out of touch I am ... It took a very good friend who is not interested in railways (in fact our last drummer in my main band) to tell me via a text that he was at Doncaster Model Railway show with his brother and how good it was. I meant to go this year. Doh!!!

8 hours ago, Clem said:

Thanks Andrew. I agree. I think I fitted those out of impatience more than anything else. It's just that I don't want to add to the unfinished list. But at some stage in the future it'll come in for a refit. Is anybody likely to pick up the ABS brand and tooling or is it gone for good, do you know?  Although many castings were a bit chunky, they certainly looked the part.

On another subject... This is how out of touch I am ... It took a very good friend who is not interested in railways (in fact our last drummer in my main band) to tell me via a text that he was at Doncaster Model Railway show with his brother and how good it was. I meant to go this year. Doh!!!

Hi Clem

Sorry I have no idea about the future of ABS castings. Some years ago I was in email communication with Adrian Swain, (the owner) in an endeavour to purchase some of the LNER fitted van buffers but when I gave him my address in Australia suddenly I heard no more. I don't actually know why I heard no more. I did hear later on that he had been ill.

He is however quite active on a number of forums as many of us would have noted.

I was lucky as I was able to purchase a few packs of the ABS buffers along with LMS and LYR cattle wagon kits from the estate of the late John Hayes, via an advert in MRJ a couple of years ago.

Andrew

1 hour ago, Woodcock29 said:

Some years ago I was in email communication with Adrian Swain, (the owner) in an endeavour to purchase some of the LNER fitted van buffers but when I gave him my address in Australia suddenly I heard no more. I don't actually know why I heard no more. I did hear later on that he had been ill.

He is however quite active on a number of forums as many of us would have noted.

I was making the obviously incorrect assumption that he'd passed away. I know he'd been ill. It seems evident that he's no longer producing. I've got a little supply of brake gear and one or two kits in stock but unless they're hiding, no buffers. I have used them previously and I know they were pretty good.

Andrew I am not surprised you did not receive a follow up from Mr Swain. About ten years ago ,perhaps more, I purchased his K4 kit which was missing one of the main body structural parts but included a part from his L1 kit!  Obviously a packing error. After several phones calls and promises to send me the correct part the part never arrived.In the end I surrendered.The "K4" is in a drawer somewhere and if sold when I leave this mortal coil Mr Swain will incur the wrath of another unfortunate modeller.

Edited by nerron

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony 

Sorry I was unable to get to Doncaster but I would come and complained to make your day. 

The reason for my post is there is something very satisfying when you see something run that you have made, even if not complete. I have a pile of MTK DMUs and in the last week built chassis for four which are suitable for my layout and I resurrected a 32 year old project, a cut and shut Cravens unit from Tri-ang coaches. I have had them running today and seeing an eight car DMU formed of four, two car units that I have enjoyed making is a nice feeling.  

You could try Jim at ACE kits which was previously McGowan.  I know the moulds are still in existence and held by Langley Models who do (or did) his casting. I managed to get a replacement tank casting from an old N1 kit some time back. Apologies. Replied to the wrong post.  This is about the B12 kit.

Edited by Denbridge
Replied to wrong post
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Clem said:

I was making the obviously incorrect assumption that he'd passed away. I know he'd been ill. It seems evident that he's no longer producing. I've got a little supply of brake gear and one or two kits in stock but unless they're hiding, no buffers. I have used them previously and I know they were pretty good.

[Deleted]

Edited by robertcwp

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Must be a different person. Adrian Swain died several years ago after having cancer for several years.

I was under the impression this was him.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12161&start=150

He has posted since the above, and always refers to his casting for himself and others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Must be a different person. Adrian Swain died several years ago after having cancer for several years.

Your diagnosis is correct, but your prognosis is most decidedly premature.

It is correct that Adrian is no longer with us at RMweb - not voluntarily - but he watches over us, and is active on other groups.

I receive periodic missives from him commenting, (in his accustomed acerbic manner), on selected postings here at RMweb.

Long may he continue to do so !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 2