Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

Oops! Post now edited

Don’t panic about the errors in proper English, Tony’s been teaching me on building and English. The building of locos/kits, etc, has worked but the grammar and correct spelling not so much. 

Looks like I’ll be writing lines next time......

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I hope you don't mind me chipping in a few comments on our hobby? To criticise or not to criticise seems to be one of the themes running through which I guess is related to Tony Wrights recent article? Please indulge me for a moment or two.

Like many of us I am now retired after 50 years as a railway engineer and whilst I have many interests I hankered after something that would occupy both hands and intellect so remembering my railway modelling disasters (now I look back) of my youth I thought I would have a go at building some 00 model loco's. I stick to ex SR types because they are the prototypes that I remember but I appreciate the locomotives of all 4 (and BR stds) railway company's. I have always carried out prototype research to achieve something as close as possible to the modelled loco at a particular time in its life. The first loco built being an original Merchant Navy from a Millholme Kit. I was very proud of my achievement. I went to a few shows and realised I had a lot to learn! I have now built about 15 or so locos including a few scratchbuilt. I was proud of each one until the next one was completed and so on. I'm sure we all try to exceed the quality of our previous efforts?

You are probably wondering what is the point of all these words? Well along the way I have met some great modellers that have offered comment and encouragement. I have looked at the achievements of fellow modellers and this has been an inspiration to me. I even spoke to Tony Wright and briefly watched him building what else but an LNER Pacific at a show recently. It seems to me that we should encourage our fellow modellers, particularly those that build locos, rolling stock or anything else for their layout for I agree with Tony, this is the lifeblood of our hobby and the satisfaction obtained is good for the soul. Criticism is also important but please make it constructive! We need to encourage not "punish".

With warm regards,

Richard B

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Here's the video

Jamie

What wonderful work Jamie and I can only echo the comments made by others - far more advanced modelling (and to a much higher standard) than I was managing at 14! Nicely done and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you make next.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Something very different from my usual locomotive and C&W modelling: A Midland railway water tank for Jerry Clifford's Bath layout. This has been designed and 3D printed as part of Jerry's and my bartering/horse-trading arrangement using drawings and information supplied by Jerry. It isn't quite a perfect 3D print but I'm pleased with it for the first attempt and I think this one will be right on the next try.

3D Printed Water Tank.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Atso said:

Something very different from my usual locomotive and C&W modelling: A Midland railway water tank for Jerry Clifford's Bath layout. This has been designed and 3D printed as part of Jerry's and my bartering/horse-trading arrangement using drawings and information supplied by Jerry. It isn't quite a perfect 3D print but I'm pleased with it for the first attempt and I think this one will be right on the next try.

That looks great.   One comment however, have you any pans to include the details of the tank interior such as the overflow/inlets and the various truss rods that would be present.   I wasn't aware of all these when I made my 7mm one.  However I then went to visit mark Rand's converted water tower/house at Settle Station.   I was surprised by the amount of internal fittings and now need to retro fit them to my tank.   I do have some photos and there are some plans in Midland Record.   As my tank is front and central on the layout the interior of the tank is quite visible.   I would be happy to pass information to you if you PM me.

Jamie

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

That looks great.   One comment however, have you any pans to include the details of the tank interior such as the overflow/inlets and the various truss rods that would be present.   I wasn't aware of all these when I made my 7mm one.  However I then went to visit mark Rand's converted water tower/house at Settle Station.   I was surprised by the amount of internal fittings and now need to retro fit them to my tank.   I do have some photos and there are some plans in Midland Record.   As my tank is front and central on the layout the interior of the tank is quite visible.   I would be happy to pass information to you if you PM me.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie. In answer to your question, no. Jerry is happy to add these details himself, the Midland style paneling itself was the issue. However, I'd love to learn about these details and will drop you a PM a little later - many thanks for the offer.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Atso said:

3D Printed Water Tank.jpg

Is that just for Jerry? Or will you be selling some?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Is that just for Jerry? Or will you be selling some?

The other thing that I discovered at Mark Rand's home is that Midland Water Towers were quite colourful and the tanks weren't grey.  When he chipped the layers of LMS and BR grey paint off he found the original colour scheme of the centre panel in Denby Pottery Cream, with the outer part being Brunswick green with the two colour portions separated by a vermillion line on the raised beading.   He had quite a battle with the listed building people till the officer arrived with an underling one day.  The underling was sent 40' up the steel ladder (With a safety harness) and Mark showed him the original paint.   The underling apparently shouted to his boss, "I think we better grant Mr Rand's request".  This is what mine looks like, I used WM castings from Blackberry Way.

170326-1.jpg.4a56f84cda82794a22f96f230fe68d3b.jpg

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Hi Atso

I’m currently working on some MSE signals for the Ely club’s new layout Wickham Market. They are all operational (something I’m sure Tony will be glad to hear) and will be controlled with viessmann motors.

729204C8-8BC0-4586-B5E5-121E4A99966C.jpeg.6e58c26c06b59f43cb1ae205c8f404f7.jpeg

Jamie

What beautiful signals Jamie, very neatly assembled and painted, well done!

I've not built any myself yet but will require one semaphore for Hadley Wood (the other, at the Northern end, being a colour light). At the moment I'm trying to find out if the semaphore was a somersault or upper quadrant type following the 1932 re-signaling work. Unfortunately the only photos I've come across are from the 1950's (shortly before the line was quadrupled) and it is an upper quadrant by this point - a 1930's view has proven elusive so far....

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Hi Atso

I’m currently working on some MSE signals for the Ely club’s new layout Wickham Market. They are all operational (something I’m sure Tony will be glad to hear) and will be controlled with viessmann motors.

729204C8-8BC0-4586-B5E5-121E4A99966C.jpeg.6e58c26c06b59f43cb1ae205c8f404f7.jpeg

Jamie

Very nice Jamie. I considered using Viessmann motors, which are very good, but the cost ruled that out for the number of signals I will have.

One suggestion if I may - try using transfer strip for the stripes, to get them nice and straight. Alternatively, you can get transfers for the entire arm from Chiltern Models http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Products/Signal_Transfers/MSE_signal_transfers.html (usual disclaimer).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

One suggestion if I may - try using transfer strip for the stripes, to get them nice and straight. Alternatively, you can get transfers for the entire arm from Chiltern Models http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Products/Signal_Transfers/MSE_signal_transfers.html (usual disclaimer).

Thanks, I had no idea those existed! I've been using masking tape but it tends to bleed a little bit so I'll look into those.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, JamieR4489 said:

Thanks, I had no idea those existed! I've been using masking tape but it tends to bleed a little bit so I'll look into those.

Before I discovered them I just used strips cut from Modelmasters blank colour transfers.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

There is an excellent and quite extensive piece on Alloa on the BBC website today entitled 'How to build the perfect model railway'. It presents our hobby in a very positive way with some excellent pictures and video. Its' clear intent is to promote the Glasgow exhibition - well done them!

Michael

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mdh1950 said:

There is an excellent and quite extensive piece on Alloa on the BBC website today entitled 'How to build the perfect model railway'. It presents our hobby in a very positive way with some excellent pictures and video. Its' clear intent is to promote the Glasgow exhibition - well done them!

Michael

Alloa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-47163833

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 4

A while back I asked if it really was necessary to use solid brass pins, as opposed to brass coated steel pins, to fasten valve gear together.  Apart from the cutting aspect that Tony brought up I now have cause to believe the answer is a definite yes.  What seems to happen with the coated brass pins I obtained over here in the GWN is that the brass layer is so thin that when flux (rosin) and/or the solder is applied the brass layer melts/dissolves leaving a passage way for the solder to run down into the joint.  Result is a solid joint.  And yes I did use the paper washer trick.  Fortunately I found some solid brass rivets that I had bought eons ago for whatever project and had forgotten I had.  Unfortunately I found them after riveting one side because they worked a treat and I think I will have to un-do the riveted ones.  

Posted for information and FYI I used to call myself a Metallurgist so I did do a bit of an examination although I did miss my microscope

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I don't know exactly what happens to the thin brass plating, whether it is melted, amalgamated into the solder, or whether the acidic flux simply strips it off the steel, but I've certainly found that attempts to solder to thin brass coatings on steel can end in frustration and disappointment......

• Informative/Useful 3