Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I've been gardening, all day here in sunny Wigan. Nearly 18 deg C in the sun, 2 weeks ago there was snow on the ground !!!. I (well we 've) cut the grass, cleared the flower beds, trimmed the bushes, cleared the greenhouse etc, - All Done -  my green recycling bin is full !!

First time ever garden / lawn first cut done after winter in February.

I'm looking forward to some cold / rainy weather so I can get back to my model railways !!

Brit15

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

I've been gardening, all day here in sunny Wigan. Nearly 18 deg C in the sun, 2 weeks ago there was snow on the ground !!!. I (well we 've) cut the grass, cleared the flower beds, trimmed the bushes, cleared the greenhouse etc, - All Done -  my green recycling bin is full !!

First time ever garden / lawn first cut done after winter in February.

I'm looking forward to some cold / rainy weather so I can get back to my model railways !!

Brit15

Here in Adelaide, South Australia railway modelling is definitely all year round. In summer when its hot the air conditioned shed is a great haven and in winter when its cool (as distinct from cold) and can occasionally be wet the reverse cycle air conditioner makes the shed very comfortable on the odd occasion it needs to be turned on.

I'm currently building an old NuCast D2. I think I've had this in stock for well over 20 years. The castings had quite a few pits that needed filling and some parts needed a lot of 'fitting' to get it right. The saturated smokebox was 1mm short by my reckoning so I've glued a 1mm layer of plasticard to the front of that and will use a Graeme King J6 smokebox door, LRM chimney and safety valves from their C12.

Will post photos when its finished.

Andrew

• Like 4

22 hours ago, gr.king said:

This must be some sort of record - nothing posted on this thread in more than 24 hours! It usually grows so much in one day that I really cannot find time to read the new material in full......

Perhaps our leader's absence might be a contributing factor here? Hopefully he'll return soon with more brilliant photos of his (and other's) modelling.

Edited by Atso
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Atso said:

Perhaps our leader's absence might be a contributing factor here? Hopefully he'll return soon with more brilliant photos of his (and other's) modelling.

In the UK at least, a combination of school holidays and warm, sunny weather at this time of year has sent most folks outdoors.  Like Apollo, I’ve been in the garden: playing with the grandchildren, mowing the lawns, deadheading the hydrangeas, pruning the roses and jet washing the paths to rid them of all the winter grime.  The garden has never looked so good at this time of year!

According to smiling Lucy on the telly, normal February weather will resume towards the end of this week, so back to modelling then with the added bonus of feeling good about being on top of the domestic stuff!

Phil

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Silence is golden as they say. A few years back I suggested we carry on chatting on this thread when Tony was having a sebatical and I got a right bolloc#ing from someone. CBA to do much since then in case I upset someone else.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 4

I am trying to find swankneck  platform lamps and platform seats, presumably of LNER origin, that would have been on Grimsby Station circa 1955/57.  Bearing in mind I live in the Great White North and cannot get to UK shows I wonder if someone could point me in a supplier target direction.  As I do my research for what I will call the finishing touches I find myself mildly amused because so many layouts have all kinds of 'warning' signs at the ends of platforms, yet the photos I can find show almost none

• RMweb Premium

What a waste of effort, best layout competition !!!!!

There was this  Tony bloke walking around with a clip board judging layouts....2  or 3 mini jaffa cakes later he informs us that he was not judging our layout but was grateful for the bribe.

I too had a good weekend but seem to have come home with a 'orrid cold.

There were a mixture of layouts, some of the various club layouts belonging to the association of Scottish railway modellers ( or what ever they call themselves...sorry guys)  may need a little bit more doing to them.......having said that the operating team on Tudwick Road did award ourselves the "Special award for the smallest unfinished layout".

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks to all for keeping the thread going, and, yes, I have been away - at the excellent Glasgow Show. It's so well-organised, there's no faffing about getting in and out, everyone is extremely helpful and the friendship is legendary! 

One of my roles at the show was to act as judge with regard to the Scottish Association layouts. This year I chose United Mills, a small P4 layout depicting a 'rail-served industrial unit set in West Fife', built by Ray Nolton. It really is beautifully-observed and runs impeccably.

1055346542_UnitedMills10.jpg.705b669bc886720f69726d5adc8bc656.jpg

Mo and I had a great time at the Glasgow Show, and my most grateful thanks are offered to all with whom I spoke. I managed to fix enough locos to come home with just below £160.00 for CRUK, which was greatly added to by some most-generous donations. Thank you all. Those impossible to fix? At least five split-chassis locos - way beyond my abilities! 

Tony,

Thank you for once again being the judge of the AMRSS layouts at the show. As Chairman of the Association it is my delight to present the winning layout builder with the trophy at the award ceremony. I was delighted you chose United Mills since it would certainly have been my choice had I been the judge. 

And yes, "Robert The Bruce" was still running very well when I tested the loco at home. My wife is not a modeller but she was very impressed with your workmanship and the professional paint job. 

I cannot wait to see the K3 painted.

Archie

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks to all for keeping the thread going, and, yes, I have been away - at the excellent Glasgow Show. It's so well-organised, there's no faffing about getting in and out, everyone is extremely helpful and the friendship is legendary! 

One of my roles at the show was to act as judge with regard to the Scottish Association layouts. This year I chose United Mills, a small P4 layout depicting a 'rail-served industrial unit set in West Fife', built by Ray Nolton. It really is beautifully-observed and runs impeccably.

Last year (if you recall) I voted for a DCC, up-to-date layout in OO. 

I was told by a fellow exhibitor that, according to Twitter the next day, someone from another layout had questioned my judgement. My second-choice layout was indeed very good, but one of the units (though superbly well-finished) was joined together by (highly-visible) tension-lock couplings. Since I find those things anathema (having used them in the past), then my opinion was swayed (a personal one, of course). 

Speaking of Twitter, would it surprise anyone that those who've been highly-critical of me recently using that medium have yet to speak to me face-to-face, despite my continued presence at shows all over the country?

Mo and I had a great time at the Glasgow Show, and my most grateful thanks are offered to all with whom I spoke. I managed to fix enough locos to come home with just below £160.00 for CRUK, which was greatly added to by some most-generous donations. Thank you all. Those impossible to fix? At least five split-chassis locos - way beyond my abilities! 

My demonstrations consisted of getting loads of the part-built locos going on behalf of a bereaved family, and then selling them. All but one went (which I'll finish this week), raising a substantial amount. My thanks to all who bought them. 

The question of constructive criticism has arisen on the thread, and I have been quite 'critical' over the duration of the show. Certainly not to 'punish' anyone, but to offer some practical help. One chap I know brought along a DJH A1 he's building, asking me to 'look at it, please'. Which I did. He's now going to chuck the whole lot into a bath of paint stripper, come and visit me and we'll start again! Good on him - he took what I had to say about it right on the chin. 

Black Marlin on here (Gavin) bought an almost complete DJH BR Standard 4 4-6-0 off me which I'd got running, and then learned how to solder a white metal cab roof on. What a lovely chap! 

What else? Oh, yes; I'm now no longer surprised at the number of late middle-aged men who come up to me at shows asking me to build a loco for them. I would describe them as retired, space 'rich', time 'rich', cash 'rich', but skill 'poor'. Just about all want locos they remember from their youth. 'Sorry' is my response, because I'm now myself retired from professional loco-building - I have far too many to build for myself, anyway. Without being 'unkind' (I hope), I find this situation rather sad. These chaps (from what I can see) seem to have dozens (even scores) of the latest RTR wonderments, but what they're really after isn't available just 'out-of-a-box. They're stuck in a way, as hostages to fortune. 'Hostages' inasmuch as some of them have actually found someone to build a loco for them, but it won't go round curves, shorts out or just judders along - in effect, fit only for static display. 

I'm convinced fewer and fewer modellers are actually prepared to do things for themselves. If I can encourage folk to have a go at making things for themselves and helping them where I can when they get it all wrong (the DJH A1 for instance), then I hope to 'scratch the surface' of the problem, albeit in a tiny way. The greatest thing, though, as our 14 year old has so brilliantly shown us recently, is one must try!  

Tony,

It was lovely to see you and Mo at Glasgow. I really enjoyed the show but I spent too much money. It was extremely kind of you to buy me dinner on Sunday night and I wish to thank you both once again.

We we were talking about how long LNER livery lasted after nationalisation. Coincidentally I just happened to be looking through “The Book of the Princess Royal Pacifics”, I think you’ll know why, and I found on page 59 a photograph of the 8.00am ex Liverpool at Bletchley headed by 45097 and 46207 apparently taken on 1st August 1953. The first coach in the train is a Gresley coach and you can clearly see that it is lettered LNER. The livery of the coach is not clear but it could be varnished teak. However the photograph does seem to show that LNER livery still existed five years after nationalisation, if the date is correct. As to what an LNER coach is doing in a West Coast express is another matter.

Sandra

7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Last year (if you recall) I voted for a DCC, up-to-date layout in OO. 

I was told by a fellow exhibitor that, according to Twitter the next day, someone from another layout had questioned my judgement. My second-choice layout was indeed very good, but one of the units (though superbly well-finished) was joined together by (highly-visible) tension-lock couplings. Since I find those things anathema (having used them in the past), then my opinion was swayed (a personal one, of course). 

Speaking of Twitter, would it surprise anyone that those who've been highly-critical of me recently using that medium have yet to speak to me face-to-face, despite my continued presence at shows all over the country?

My demonstrations consisted of getting loads of the part-built locos going on behalf of a bereaved family, and then selling them. All but one went (which I'll finish this week), raising a substantial amount. My thanks to all who bought them. 

The question of constructive criticism has arisen on the thread, and I have been quite 'critical' over the duration of the show. Certainly not to 'punish' anyone, but to offer some practical help. One chap I know brought along a DJH A1 he's building, asking me to 'look at it, please'. Which I did. He's now going to chuck the whole lot into a bath of paint stripper, come and visit me and we'll start again! Good on him - he took what I had to say about it right on the chin. 

Black Marlin on here (Gavin) bought an almost complete DJH BR Standard 4 4-6-0 off me which I'd got running, and then learned how to solder a white metal cab roof on. What a lovely chap! 

What else? Oh, yes; I'm now no longer surprised at the number of late middle-aged men who come up to me at shows asking me to build a loco for them. I would describe them as retired, space 'rich', time 'rich', cash 'rich', but skill 'poor'. Just about all want locos they remember from their youth. 'Sorry' is my response, because I'm now myself retired from professional loco-building - I have far too many to build for myself, anyway. Without being 'unkind' (I hope), I find this situation rather sad. These chaps (from what I can see) seem to have dozens (even scores) of the latest RTR wonderments, but what they're really after isn't available just 'out-of-a-box. They're stuck in a way, as hostages to fortune. 'Hostages' inasmuch as some of them have actually found someone to build a loco for them, but it won't go round curves, shorts out or just judders along - in effect, fit only for static display. 

I'm convinced fewer and fewer modellers are actually prepared to do things for themselves. If I can encourage folk to have a go at making things for themselves and helping them where I can when they get it all wrong (the DJH A1 for instance), then I hope to 'scratch the surface' of the problem, albeit in a tiny way. The greatest thing, though, as our 14 year old has so brilliantly shown us recently, is one must try!  

When your Railway Modeller article surfaced many people were talking about you on Facebook, I kept replying, that they obviosuly have never met you and that they would all be too gutless to speak face to face, cowards hiding behind a computer screen. You definitely scared me when I first met you Tony, because of the impact you had on me, you were an inspiration. I wanted to strive to do what you do. So upon our first encounter you definitely scared the living day lights out of me, but we are now firm friends. I wasn’t afraid to speak my mind, but also new when to shut up and take your advice and learn from it. That’s what I get the shits about when people want stuff done for them without giving it ago themselves, you can do anything you put your mind to. 

I am still very RTR dependant, but what I can’t get RTR I strive on getting through kits or friends. Baz and JW are at the moment helping me out with the Flying Scotsman triplet set, Mr King with parts come November. Graham with the first Peco point alterations and now help with signals and of course you Tony, with endless help from everything and anything. I just brought over a dozen kits grom

Cambrian Models, a few last week of Wizards Models (still need bending bars) and I have half a dozen DS kits sitting here. I’m really enjoying kit building and I hope to show you one day in the flesh, hopefully November?Speaking of that, am I still right to stay at Wright’s Towers? 

Jesse 

• Like 3

Jesse, can I suggest you buy a hold and fold. this is the bending bar equivalent. Fantastic for Brass fabrications. I purchased mine locally I think from a NSW retailer but I can't remember who. 

this is one version but it is too small fro your use:

https://metrohobbies.com.au/hobby-supplies/tools/trumpter-tools-small-metal-bending-tools.html

This is the Hold and Fold that I purchased. 

https://www.mytoolstore.com.au/products/Photo-Etch-Bending-Tool-5.5"-(5-Speed)-Hold-and-Fold.html

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/the-5-5-5-speed-hold-and-fold-workstation/

Reminds me I need to get back on with some modelling... I have 4, 20Ton NER hoppers underway at the moment - but waiting on some gear from the UK to do more! 

I generally like Humbrol 79 (blue grey) for the NER wagon grey. its darker than the Precision paints but easier to come by here in Aus! 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DougN said:

Jesse, can I suggest you buy a hold and fold. this is the bending bar equivalent. Fantastic for Brass fabrications. I purchased mine locally I think from a NSW retailer but I can't remember who. 

this is one version but it is too small fro your use:

https://metrohobbies.com.au/hobby-supplies/tools/trumpter-tools-small-metal-bending-tools.html

This is the Hold and Fold that I purchased. 

https://www.mytoolstore.com.au/products/Photo-Etch-Bending-Tool-5.5"-(5-Speed)-Hold-and-Fold.html

https://www.hobbytools.com.au/the-5-5-5-speed-hold-and-fold-workstation/

Reminds me I need to get back on with some modelling... I have 4, 20Ton NER hoppers underway at the moment - but waiting on some gear from the UK to do more! 

I generally like Humbrol 79 (blue grey) for the NER wagon grey. its darker than the Precision paints but easier to come by here in Aus! 

Possibly Gwydir Valley Models in Glen Innes (usual disclaimer).

8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

When your Railway Modeller article surfaced many people were talking about you on Facebook, I kept replying, that they obviosuly have never met you and that they would all be too gutless to speak face to face, cowards hiding behind a computer screen. You definitely scared me when I first met you Tony, because of the impact you had on me, you were an inspiration. I wanted to strive to do what you do. So upon our first encounter you definitely scared the living day lights out of me, but we are now firm friends. I wasn’t afraid to speak my mind, but also new when to shut up and take your advice and learn from it. That’s what I get the shits about when people want stuff done for them without giving it ago themselves, you can do anything you put your mind to. 

I am still very RTR dependant, but what I can’t get RTR I strive on getting through kits or friends. Baz and JW are at the moment helping me out with the Flying Scotsman triplet set, Mr King with parts come November. Graham with the first Peco point alterations and now help with signals and of course you Tony, with endless help from everything and anything. I just brought over a dozen kits grom

Cambrian Models, a few last week of Wizards Models (still need bending bars) and I have half a dozen DS kits sitting here. I’m really enjoying kit building and I hope to show you one day in the flesh, hopefully November?Speaking of that, am I still right to stay at Wright’s Towers? 

Jesse 

Thanks Jesse,

It's interesting your response to first meeting me, because my 'scaring' of children was one of the reasons I left teaching. 

I'd taken a cover lesson (that's one where a teacher steps in to 'cover' the absence of a colleague at short notice). This would be late September, and the class was a first year one - one I hadn't encountered before. It was a maths period, and I suggested the class get on with tasks previously-set. Except, one little oik decided to muck about. After a short period of 'negotiation', I took him outside the classroom and he soon realised his physical well-being was in jeopardy, whereupon he blubbed his apologies and subsequently worked rather hard. I thought nothing more, until later in the day I was summoned to the head's office to be told by her that she'd had a 'complaint'. I resisted the temptation to tell her that I wasn't a doctor and, thus, was of little help in that regard! Apparently, this little squit had gone to her complaining that Mr Wright had frightened him! Full marks for perception, I thought. 'Children do not come to my school to be frightened' she told me in a stern voice. As I left her office, I thought 'Stuff this', and, at the end of the term left the profession forever! The rest, as they say, is history. 

It is a privilege to be your friend, and I'm immensely gratified at your 'progress'. A star pupil?

In many ways, it's me who should be scared - you're taller, fitter and a lot younger than I am, though I can still run quite well.

And, yes, you're booked in here for November......................

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

10 hours ago, sandra said:

Tony,

It was lovely to see you and Mo at Glasgow. I really enjoyed the show but I spent too much money. It was extremely kind of you to buy me dinner on Sunday night and I wish to thank you both once again.

We we were talking about how long LNER livery lasted after nationalisation. Coincidentally I just happened to be looking through “The Book of the Princess Royal Pacifics”, I think you’ll know why, and I found on page 59 a photograph of the 8.00am ex Liverpool at Bletchley headed by 45097 and 46207 apparently taken on 1st August 1953. The first coach in the train is a Gresley coach and you can clearly see that it is lettered LNER. The livery of the coach is not clear but it could be varnished teak. However the photograph does seem to show that LNER livery still existed five years after nationalisation, if the date is correct. As to what an LNER coach is doing in a West Coast express is another matter.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra,

Though our buying your meal was merely returning the compliment. It was lovely to meet up with you again. 

Thanks for the info on the Gresley coach. Its insertion in a prestige train is almost certainly as a 'strengthener'. Gresley carriages were very often used for this purpose on all the BR Regions.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

Don't worry Tony.... both of my parents scared the **** out of me when they used their teacher tones on me... they were English/Geography and Maths/Science/Physics... handy when I made it to the later years of high school... 

they had had not lost the knack and did the same to my kids when they were younger to the point that the grandkids didn't want to see the grand parents! 

Maybe that is why I felt rather at home with your gentle ribbing.... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Good morning Tony

It was lovely to see you and Mo again this year at Glasgow - I always look forward to our annual get-togethers, though I hope this year at last to finally take you up on your offer to come and visit! I will have to have the 4MT finished before then, mind you... And thank you too for the meal on Saturday night: as always, good company, good conversation and good food made for a great time. I am, after several months on the wane, refilled with modelling enthusiasm!

Regards,
Gavin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Theakerr said:

I am trying to find swankneck  platform lamps and platform seats, presumably of LNER origin, that would have been on Grimsby Station circa 1955/57.  Bearing in mind I live in the Great White North and cannot get to UK shows I wonder if someone could point me in a supplier target direction.  As I do my research for what I will call the finishing touches I find myself mildly amused because so many layouts have all kinds of 'warning' signs at the ends of platforms, yet the photos I can find show almost none

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=model+railway+swan+neck+lamps&qpvt=model+railway+swan+neck+lamps&FORM=IGRE

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I still vividly remember my first "Bollocking" at work as an apprentice engineer back in 1969 at Wigan gas works. On my first morning in the office brewing the tea I took a china cup in it's fancy saucer (the only china cup in Wigan gas works) full of my steaming hot tea upstairs to the district engineer (AKA God). I'd just got back downstairs when he bellowed for me to go back up --- What's this ? - Bloody battleships in my tea (tea leaves) - have you never brewed up before ? - Sorry Mr B I stuttered,  I don't drink tea and I've never brewed up before !!!.  Scared to death, he marched me downstairs to the kitchen, with the office clerks and supervisors in tears laughing and gave me a lecture and detailed instructions on the use of kettle, tea amounts per cup, temperature, etc etc.  He also said "If you want to be a gas engineer then you had best learn to both make AND drink tea - gallons of it !!!

R.I.P. Fred - A true gentleman, engineer and tea brewer of the old school.

Brit15

• Like 13

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

I still vividly remember my first "Bollocking" at work as an apprentice engineer back in 1969 at Wigan gas works. On my first morning in the office brewing the tea I took a china cup in it's fancy saucer (the only china cup in Wigan gas works) full of my steaming hot tea upstairs to the district engineer (AKA God). I'd just got back downstairs when he bellowed for me to go back up --- What's this ? - Bloody battleships in my tea (tea leaves) - have you never brewed up before ? - Sorry Mr B I stuttered,  I don't drink tea and I've never brewed up before !!!.  Scared to death, he marched me downstairs to the kitchen, with the office clerks and supervisors in tears laughing and gave me a lecture and detailed instructions on the use of kettle, tea amounts per cup, temperature, etc etc.  He also said "If you want to be a gas engineer then you had best learn to both make AND drink tea - gallons of it !!!

R.I.P. Fred - A true gentleman, engineer and tea brewer of the old school.

Brit15

I got taught from like 12 how to make coffee for all the truck drivers coming into my family buisness, the Beer after work was self taught but! 

• Like 3
  • Funny 3